Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Imelda Staunton

imelda-staunton-umbridge.jpg

Imelda Staunton's performance as Umbridge in the Harry Potter movies is possibly my favorite performance of the franchise she is sooooooo chilling and just perfectly as I imagined her when reading the books. Unfortunately I don't know her all that well outside of the Harry Potter flims. Staunton is a legend in the United Kingdom both in film and on the stage. She's been nominated for countless Laurence Olivier Awards, but has also made a bit of a name for herself on the screen. Her most acclaimed performance was in the film Vera Drake which earned her a BAFTA win and an Oscar nomination. One of my favorite films with her is an underrated gem called Pride about the British miners' strike that I'd definitely recommend! She's also fun in movies such as Chicken Run and Paddington. On the tv side of things she is starring as Queen Elizabeth in the latest batch of The Crown episodes I have not yet seen :ph34rwave:. But I'll get to them later this month I promise! The reactions to the newest season hasn't made me want to run and see it...

Update: I have now seen the newest season of The Crown. It was okay. Imelda was Fine. Claire is still my favorite Queen Elizabeth from The Crown, but no one's been "bad". Steven told me it would be okay if I copied and pasted my old writeup so here we are.

Save John Goodman

Kathy Bates

330px-SDCC_2015_-_Kathy_Bates_(191571377

Kathy Bates is someone I feel I should be more passionate about than I am. She got her start in Taking Off, before her performance as Annie Wilkes in Misery (1990) based off Stephen King's novel of the same title, marked her Hollywood breakthrough, winning her an Academy Award, and Dolores Claiborne, another of Stephen King's works. Unfortunately for her they aren't my favorites of his by a long shot. She gained further acclaim came for her starring role in Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) and supporting roles in The Waterboy (1998) and Titanic (1997). She is more known recently for her roles in American Horror Story, but as I've indicated before it's been close to a decade since I watched that show. She's also been in The Office and Two and Half Men, two shows I really dislike so definitely some points lost there, as well as Harry's Law, a show I liked okay but more of a dad show. Her filmography is impressive, but I don't think anyone is super passionate about her so out she goes.

Save: Josh O'Connor

Adam Driver

330px-Star_Wars-_The_Last_Jedi_Japan_Pre

I don't know Adam Driver all that well aside from playing Kylo in The Star Wars trilogy. He's had two consecutive Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actor for Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman (2018) and for Best Actor as Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story (2019). He also had a role in The House of Gucci, but I haven't gotten around to seeing that yet. Definitely on my list though. His Marine service I feel is well-known, but he's also the founder of Arts in the Armed Forces, which is a non-profit that provides free arts programming to vets their programming. To finish this out, he's also going to be in Megapolis, which is Coppola's first big release since the late 2000s I believe. I'm excited for that, but now seems like a good time to let him go from this rankdown.

Save: Helena Bonham Carter

Jude Law

jude law smile GIF

Great actor, great name, two Oscar nominations, 4 Globe nominations, 2 Tony nominations, 3 Olivier nominations, and a slew of other acknowledgments. Which awards has he won? He got a BAFTA for The Talented Mr. Ripley. And some others. I appreciate that he does a lot of stage work as well as film. His filmography is pretty good but I wouldn't say that he's done a ton of iconic roles like some others, and he's not a personal favorite. Lately he's been playing a really bland and unqueer Dumbledore in the new Harry Potter mess. Have they shelved that project yet? Who knows. Fun fact, while he isn't a "Sir/Knight" for the brits, he was knighted by the French government. Never knew they did that stuff.

Save Woody Harrelson

Colin Firth

then you approve of it colin firth GIF by BBC

I haven't made a habit of cutting the men in this game lately but I think Allison should move on to the next round and Colin is probably on the lower end of my preferences for the dudes left. Mr. Darcy. If you haven't seen the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice then you are really missing out. The other versions of the novel are fine, some are even good. But the BBC production is undisputedly the best. I also liked Colin in The King's Speech, which I thought was quite enjoyable, though not really groundbreaking or thrilling or surprising by any means. That role got him his Oscar because the academy was falling over themselves for that movie for some reason lol. He also has a couple of BAFTAs, a SAG, and a Golden Globe. 

Save Allison