Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

SpryPeskyBustard-size_restricted.gif

Daniel Day Lewis is one of those actors that can do no wrong; He’s one of the few actors that excel in whichever movies they appear in which is probably why he is one of the most respected & acclaimed actor in the business. With a career that started in the 1980s, he has appeared in less movies that you would expect for someone who is as talented as he is. At the start of his career, he was primarily known in the theatre world and appeared in movies such as Gandhi, My Beautiful Laundrtet, Nanon and Stars and Bars.  But it was not until 1989 that people started to know who he was following his win at the Academy Award for Best Actor in My Left Foot. He went on to appear in other successful movies which would earn him other nominations at the BAFTA and Oscars such as The Last of the Mohicans, In the Name of the Father, The Boxer. At the beginning of the millennium , Daniel Day Lewis appeared in another yet critically acclaimed movie, Gangs of New York, which earned him a BAFTA and nominations at the Academy Award and Golden Globe - this was the first movie of his that I ever watched. A few years later, he would portray the Bill the Butcher in There Will Blood - another critically acclaimed role which earned him another Academy Award. Two years after his win, he took on the role of Guid Contini in the star studded musical, Nine - the movie was simply a hot mess but he was one of the highlight of the movie along with one or two of the actresses featured in the film. Another two year hiatus followed after Nine which led to another critically acclaimed role as President Lincoln in Lincoln - his portrayal was my favourite of the year which is not surprising considering the film falls within my preferred genre of movies. He went on to win the Oscar, the BAFTA and the Golden Globe for Best Actor.  As an individual who likes to take a break between roles, he hasn't appeared in anything since Phantom Thread where he was yet met with praise for his portrayal of Reynold Woodcock where he was nominated the BAFTA, Academy Award and Golden Globe...  He would have been another strong contender in the Top 20 of this second edition actors rankdown but the chips fell a certain way & he has been eliminated from the rankdown.

Write-ups needed for the following:

Aubrey Plaza 
Emma Stone 
Kate Winslet 

Kirsten Dunst 

Kristen Wiig

Melissa McCarthy 

Nicole Kidman 

Rachel McAdams 
Robert Pattinson 

Robin Williams 

Scarlett Johansson  

Hopefully this will motivate you all to get the missing write-ups posted:

If all the missing write-ups are posted before the end of the day tomorrow, then all rankers will get to advance one actor or actress of his choice to the Top 20. If there are still missing write-ups, then no one will be safe during the Final Cuts round. :kissbye:

I would prefer all write-ups to be posted today, but it’s only fair for Alex to get 24 hours at least. 

@Alex95 @#jeah @*Chris @FrogLenzen @.Rei @~Tom~

Scarlett Johansson

Scarlett-Johansson-Natasha-Romanoff-Avengers-Age-of.jpg

I totally expected her to make it to the top 20 so ScarJo not getting saved here was a pleasant surprise. Scarlett is probably one of the most recognizable actresses working today. Your casual moviegoers know her from her work as Black Widow in the Marvel Universe for 10+ years. However, I think her other film work is what has gained her the respect of this game and the industry at large. Her breakthrough work was in the Indie film Manny & Lo which kickstarted her career as an Indie darling for a bit. Ghost World is one of her most underrated roles, but also one of her best for me. 2003 was a really great year for her though when she had the 1-2 punch of Lost in Translation and Girl with a Pearl Earring. From this point on, it was smooth sailing for ScarJo. She had action movies under her belt with Under the Skin, Ghost in the Shell, Lucy. She was very close with W**dy All*n and worked on a bunch of projects with him (and still defends him to this day 👁️👄👁️). She got kids movies under her belt with the Marvel stuff, We Bought a Zoo, The Jungle Book, Sing, etc. 2019 was a particularly strong year for Scarlett as she not only had her big scene in Avengers: Endgame, but also got two Oscar nominations for her work in Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit. Johansson's tv work is pretty much nonexistent since she's too busy pretty much being a movie star. As a tv stan first and foremost that doesn't help me want to keep her in this game. I also think she's just a bit too messy. The Woody Allen stuff, the Ghost in the Shell stuff. Just not ideal, especially at the end of this game when everyone left is obviously a talented and well respected actor or actress. She's had a great career though and I'm sure will continue to. My favorite performance from Scarlett? Her voice work in Her! It's seriously soooooooooo good!

• Like 1

Kate Winslet

16711965178656.jpg

If Andrea Riseborough, whose performance in To Leslie was the greatest piece of acting Kate Winslet has ever seen in her life, can't be in this game then I'm sure Kate wouldn't want to either :giggle:. Lol that has nothing to do with this cut but all those white women involved in the Andrea Riseborough bullshit still annoy me, even my faves :kissbye:. I also expected her to survive lol. I actually thought there were two easy cuts in my noms, but you all saved them so 🤷‍♂️. I believe I'm responsible for cutting Kate in the original game and that's because I used to not be a fan of hers at all. She has since won me over thanks to Mare of Easttown. Wow the power of television! Take notes all you movie stars who think you're above television!!!!! Winslet is also a very talented and well respected actress. She has seven Oscar nominations and three acting Emmy nominations with two wins. Honestly I can just go down the list of her Oscar nominations and tell you why I used to not be a fan of Kate :ph34rwave:. Sense and Sensibility is meh, you all know how I feel about Titanic, I never saw Iris, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind & Little Children are both good and kind of won me over. Then she won an Oscar for The Reader which is a terrible movie in every sense of the work. And then there's Steve Jobs which is boring. Kate Winslet is obviously not a bad actress. Far from it. But when I can't enjoy even her most critically acclaimed work, how am I supposed to stan? Outside of her most acclaimed performances I actually really liked her in Carnage and want to see more comedy from her. But that's also R*man P*lanski so how much can I really enjoy it? But luckily she's also worked on tv. And oh how wonderful it is for us! Mildred Pierce is good and she's very good in it. But Mare of Easttown? Just instantly iconic work. One of the best miniseries ever. Winslet was up against Michaela Coel, Cynthia Erivo, Elizabeth Olsen, and Anya Taylor-Joy for that Emmy and I was rooting for Kate Winslet? Never thought I'd see the day but no one deserved it more. If I was her I would never stop working for HBO. And she's got a new miniseries called The Palace coming up where she plays a dictator and I'm sure she's gonna deliver! I'm glad I can call myself a Kate Winlset fan now as opposed to the first game. But despite that, I still like more of the people left in this game more which made her an easy nominee for me.

Edited by Alex95
  • Like 1

IncompleteMeekAfricanfisheagle-size_restricted.gif

One of the most recognizable comedy actresses of our generation, Melissa McCarthy started off as a stand-up comedian prior to getting her first major role on the WB/CW's critically-acclaimed show, Gilmore Girls on which she portrayed Sookie St. James for 7 seasons. Her role on Gilmore Girls led her to appear on other TV shows such as Samantha Who? but it's not until a few years later where she reached mainstream status with her appearance in the ever-so-iconic Bridesmaid where she showed her comedy chop as well as having some of the most iconic scenes in the movie ; She earned a Supporting Actress nomination at the Academy Award as well as the SAG - the Oscar noms is super important as it's not often that a comedy role earns a nominations. The new found fame through Bridesmaid led her to be the lead in Mike & Molly, a sitcom on CBS, which earned plenty of praise as well as an Emmy Award for her portrayal ; I've never seen the series as I'm not the biggest on sitcom so I cannot talk about her portrayal.  With her mainstream status, she appeared in a variety of movies such as Identity Thief, St. Vincent, Spy, The Heat, Ghostbusters, and Can You Forgive Me? which was one of her most serious role to date which earned her another Academy Award nomination.  Beside being an actress, she started her own production company where she starred in various films of the production company such as Tammy, The Boss, Life of the Party, The HappyTime Murders.  She will appear in the upcoming live-action remake of Little Mermaid as Ursula which I am excited to see!  Overall, Melissa is a great actress but not one that I'm super passionate about nor one that I go out and seek her movies or sitcoms.

Rachel McAdams

Rachel-McAdams.jpg

Rachel McAdams is a Canadian actress who started off working in Canadian television, first starring the films Perfect Pie (for which she received a Genie Award nomination), a comedy called My Name Is Tanino, and a comedy series Slings and Arrows. From there, she went on to star in Mean Girls, one of her highlights. She's also been in The Notebook, Red Eye, Wedding Crashers, The Time Traveler's Wife, Sherlock Holmes, and Midnight in Paris, all of which I don't like. More of her highlights are Game Night and True Detective, both of which I enjoy but True Detective season 2 has not lived up to season 1 so far. Another highlight is Spotight for which she was well-praised and she should go for more roles like that, even if the movie didn't personally do it for me. Her performances in Disobedience and Eurovision are highlights of hers, but I have not seen either movie yet. In 2020 she'll be leading in Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, which I may watch but not in the theater. In the future I would like her to continue taking roles in dramas and detective shows as I like her much more there, but I think she has a bit more work to do before getting a spot on my favorites list or in the top 20. Perhaps next time!

• Sad 2

Aubrey Plaza

330px-Aubrey_Plaza_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jp

Breaking out for playing April Ludgate in Parks and Rec, Aubrey Plaza is nowadays known for playing the complex character Harper on The White Lotus. The final scene between her and Ethan in particular was heartbreaking and I look forward to seeing what she'll bring in season 3 as her character is one of the highlights there. Another role of hers I enjoyed was in Scott Pilgrim. She played a serial killer in Criminal Minds, some of which I have seen but have not gotten that far yet; the British ones captivate me more. She played Karen (Andy's mother) in the remake of Child's Play as well but was just ok in that; I believe that was her first horror film if I remember correctly. I also see that she was in Legend of Korra but she voiced Eska, a character I can't even remember unfortunately. So a few roles I like, but I'm not sure her body of work justifies a top 20 spot just yet. Perhaps next time!

giphy.gif?resize=500,230

Many of us fell in love with Robin Williams during our childhood, in part, thanks to roles in movies such as Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, Jack, Flubber, Patch Adams, and of course, as the voice of Genie in Aladdin.  But his big break came in 1978 when he appeared on the hit ABC sitcom, Mork & Mindy, which earned him his first Emmy nominations, and this role led to bigger roles for Robin on the big screen where he was able to become one of the most celebrated actors on the big screen.  On the big screen, he impressed with his roles in film such as Good Morning, Vietnam - his first nomination at the Academy Awards, Dead Poets Society - another nomination at the Academy Awards, The Fisher King - another Academy Awards nomination earned,  The Birdcage, Good Will Hunting - his last nomination & his sole Academy Award win.  In the 2000s, he appeared in many comedies such as RV, Man of the Year, License to Wed, Night at the Museum, as well as multiple voice over work for animated film.   Sadly, Robin left us in 2014 but his legacy lives on through many of his timeless roles that I've mentioned, many of which are some of my favourite of his. 

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 3

wow-the-power-of-women-nicole-kidman.gif

Like Alex with Kate Winslet, I was certainly under the impression that Nicole Kidman was going to get saved but others got saved over her so I guess it's the name of the game.  As we know, Nicole Kidman is an Academy Award winner - she earned it for her role in The Hours, but she has also earned nominations for her role in Moulin Rouge! which I love her in, Rabbit Hole - it was seen as her comeback role as she had been scoring mediocre roles in mediocre film, Lion, and Being the Ricardos where her portrayal was praised but the movie was very much meh, in my opinion. Some of her other films that have been a highlight in her career includes Dogville, Cold Mountain, Stepford Wives, Australia, Nine, Bombshell, The Prom, Boy Erased...  In recent years, she has appeared on the small screen in critically acclaimed series such as Big Little Lies, Top of The Lake, The Undoing, and Nine Perfect Strangers. The list could go on and on as we know she's one of the highest paid actress in the business as well as one of the most respected. Unfortunately, her time in the rankdown ends here as other actors were saved over her.