DWTS 31 - Week 1 - The Premiere

Alex95

~My Dancing with the Stars 31 Week 1 Review~

Preface- First off, the show needs two hosts, it works better. Having the audience and band back made it feel alive again! A few really great contenders!

1. Jordin/Brandon (Cha Cha) 26/40: Jordin is someone I’ve wanted to do the show forever and going first I knew she’d be underscored. This would’ve easily been all 7’s later in the show. But she has a fanbase and I’m sure she will go far and get better. Brandon deserves to go far finally. He’s never even made the semi-finals before. My score: 28/40

2. Sam/Cheryl (Foxtrot) 20/40: Sam has charisma but he became slightly forgettable as the show went on. I see him going in the next 2-3 elims though.  My score: 21/40

3. Heidi/Artem (Cha Cha) 24/40: Prime example of even if you’ve had training in your childhood, it doesn’t mean you’ll always be a ringer. She has natural ability from it, but seemed very timid and nervous. She’s not a performer so that could’ve hindered her as well. I can see her being a mid-season boot. My score: 24/40

4. Daniel/Britt (Tango) 27/40: He did really well, but by the 3rd deaf contestant, the “shock” of the deaf person dancing well wears off, but he still did well and likely will go far, which Britt deserves after Martin Kove last year. My score: 26/40

5. Jessie/Alan (Cha Cha) 20/40: I lowkey expected her to be better, but maybe it was due to a bad Cha Cha song. She’s a great performer, but her footwork needed work. Her steps were big and not consistent, but she’s got potential. My score: 22/40

6. Teresa/Pasha (Tango) 20/40: She clearly wants an image rehab, once you say in your package you went to prison, it’s an uphill climb. The table flip was funny, but the rest of the dance was very non-eventful. She could improve next week, but just #PashaRinger2024. My score: 20/40

7. Wayne/Witney (Cha Cha) 29/40: On paper, he’s the winner. I mean, Witney is a great pro, who only won once 11 seasons ago, he’s a big name, has experience and charisma. He’s finals at least. Some of his footwork could be cleaned up though. My score: 28/40

8. Cheryl/Louis (Cha Cha) 21/40: Lowkey, I expected timid older lady, but she actually was pretty decent. I hope she gets a Foxtrot or Waltz next week. My score: 22/40

9. Vinny/Koko (Salsa) 17/40: He wasn’t that bad on Masked Dancer, so I expected him to be better, but the timing was all over the place, yikes. He likely survived from a Jersey Shore fanbase, it took Situation a few weeks too and he was bad as well. My score: 17/40

10. Shangela/Gleb (Salsa) 28/40: Gleb better not screw this up like with Mel C. Shangela is someone that can handle more than most and she’s a firecracker of a personality and performer. I loved this dance and it was some of Gleb’s best work. I hope she’s in the finals. My score: 30/40

11. Trevor/Emma (Quickstep) 21/40: Another kind of forgettable one, aside from the whole being scared of dancing and doing the Quickstep first. Other than that I didn’t remember it much. I suspect he likely will be gone within a few eliminations. My score: 21/40

12. Gabby/Val (Jive) 28/40: She’s very bubbly and honestly, dance wise, this is Val’s best partner since Normani. She did a very complex Jive and her kicks and flicks were great. Val has someone to go far with. My score: 30/40

13. Joseph/Daniella (Jive) 23/40: I thought he’d be worse honestly, but still needs a lot of work on his technique, but Daniella is a great choreographer, but I know she will rely on his strength, but likely a mid-season boot I bet. My score: 22/40

14. Jason/Peta (Cha Cha) 18/40: What a shame because the Sex and the City fanbase likely is the show’s demo and Peta coming back, but he wasn’t a good dancer, and isn’t a huge name either, so overall he wasn’t a terrible first pick to go. My score: 18/40

15. Selma/Sasha (Viennese Waltz) 28/40: What an inspiration! Sasha kept it simple, but I do worry for some faster dancers or Latin dances, but she had some natural ability. I do think the scores were a point or two high, but I’m not mad about it. My score: 26/40

16. Charli/Mark (Cha Cha) 32/40: She’s a fantastic dancer and Mark is one of the best choreographers ever in this show so I’m excited to see what they produce this season, but will she go far like Jojo, or a shock boot cause of younger audience and ringer? I hope not. This dance was fire. Wish it was a different song though. My score: 32/40

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Jordin did good and she is with Brandon so I guess I have to stan

You Better GIF by MOODMAN

3 minutes ago, rpryor03 said:

OK, where can we watch the dances if we don't want to shell out money to the Mouse? Not seeing them on YT yet.

Yeah I was looking last night and saw they weren't uploaded to the main YT channel. 😢 

My girl Gabby killed it last night 😍❤️ Her and Val are also a really cute partnership too.

also, SHANGELA ❤️ I loved her performance. 

Charli was good but my mindset towards her is the same way I felt about jojo last season in that I expected her to be good so no surprise lol. The choreo is the only thing that has the potential to impress me with her, I think. 

Caught a few low-res videos on YouTube and Twitter so far so hoping my..alternative link comes through for me for the episode soon. But Charli killed it (unsurprisingly), amazing week 1 performance

Teresa managing to get a table flip into a Tango lmaoooo I love this show

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

Ugh just seeing Shangela on this show makes me emotional. After all the attacks from lawmakers and conservatives on drag queens and the LGBTQ+ community, particularly in the last few months. A huge step for DWTS and I can’t wait to see what she continues to bring ❤️ 

• Like 5