Reality Champion Rankdown

Solaris

Darren Gough

0_SHOWBIZ-Dancing-1.jpg

Darren Gough is a retired cricketer and former captain of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. He is England's second highest wicket taker with 235 and England's ninth most successful wicket taker. Darren was on A Question of Sport and Talk Sport. He was featured in television ads for Costcutter, a UK convenience store chain. He was on Series 3 of Strictly Come Dancing and his partner was Lilia Kopylova. He was the first male and the first cricketer to win on Strictly. He went on to compete in the 2007 Christmas Special two years later and won that as well. After that, he took part in Strictly Come Dancing's 2008 live tour.

122338664_194209858820181_11698519577753

I've made my thoughts loud and clear regarding "Biggest Loser", so let's cut another winner from the show - this time, we are cutting the Biggest Loser among the men, Danny Cahill. It seems that he was always consistent throughout his time on the show, at the exception of a few weeks where he only lost in the single digits. At the end of the season, he weighted 191 lbs compare to 430 lbs at the beginning of the season - this was a loss of 239 lbs & 55.58%.  And what has he been up since the show ? He has been an author, a motivational speaker, and always been an avid defender of the show. And quickly browsing his social media, we find out that he is a Trump supporter, critical of the current administration for taking precaution when it comes to COVID-19, show his support for the NRA,  liked pro-life tweets,  and liking tweets related to anti-LGBT+ policies among many problematic tweets that he liked.

Ooof ouch at Tony Vlachos losing both of his entries over some other remaining Survivors out there. :( I don't really even care for him but he's a great/iconic player, for sure!

At least he beat out Ben tho. 😘 

• Like 1

Nancy Birtwhistle (The Great British Bake-Off: Series 5)

Mary Berry (left), Paul Hollywood and winner Nancy Birtwhistle, 60

The Great British Bake-Off (rebranded as "The Great British Baking Show" in America due to trademark claims) is not like most of the shows in this game. Here there are amateur cooks who are whisked off to a whimsical white tent in a sunny field and they compete using baking techniques. Desserts, savory pies with pastry, etc. Every week a baker is eliminated, but it is done with love and respect and hearts and rainbows. The lighting is impeccable. The cooking utensils and appliances are nice and uniform. Everyone is polite. The judging is cheeky but not rude. A handshake from the head judge is the pinnacle of success. They deliberately cast contestants who are mild-tempered. Often witty. The hosts banter. It's all in good fun.

You're not going to find the typical tantrums and fighting you might encounter on other programs. That is... except for the infamous Baked Alaska. iykyk. In Series 5, the challenge one week was to make a baked Alaska dessert, which is some kind of monstrous ice cream thing encased in meringue. Or something. I don't watch this to learn about food lol. Anyway, they all had to make their ice cream and set it in freezers. And while the white tent is magical and wonderful, IT DOES NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. And the refrigerators are quaint and stylized but THEY SUCK AT ACTUALLY KEEPING THINGS COLD. So when it's a tempered chocolate or ice cream challenge or whatever, it's just... lol good luck and have fun! So the bakers were fighting over freezer space for their baked alaskas and one of the contestants (Diana) takes the dessert of another contestant (Iain) out of the freezer to make room for hers, and then neglects to return Iain's dessert back to the freezer. When I tell you that Iain lost his shit... he had a huge fit and ended up throwing his own dessert in the trash because it melted. Well the judges said "hey moron now we can't even pretend to try your dessert and you have nothing to present... you're eliminated"

Well UK twitter went berserk and started harassing Diana for taking Iain's stuff out of the freezer. Diana swears that Iain's dessert was only out for less than a minute, and that the editing and bad refrigerators are really to blame. Nonetheless, Diana mysteriously withdrew from the competition and did not appear in the following episode. 

The winner, Nancy, was not involved in any of that. But I wanted to talk about the baked alaska lmao. Nancy was fine, as are all the contestants in the history of this show. She won against Richard, who had gotten the "Star Baker" title 5 out of the 10 weeks (which is insanely good). But Richard choked for the finale and Nancy took it. That's the thing about some of these cooking shows... it all depends on the last thing you serve, and is often not cumulative. 

Edited by FrogLenzen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

BJ & Tyler (The Amazing Race 9)

S9_BJTyler.jpg

I just realized I forgot to make my cut yesterday, so I'm gonna quickly do one now so I don't forget today's cut. :dead: For this cut, I settled on BJ & Tyler, winners of The Amazing Race 9. After the family edition didn't prove to be as successful as they hoped in season 8, it was back to teams of 2 for the show's 9th season. But despite a return to the standard format, the 9th season wasn't really great. The only team I truly loved was Joseph & Monica. BJ & Tyler are a team of best friends.  A strong and competent team, they often finished at the top of the pack along with other all-guy team Eric & Jeremy. There were two legs in the middle of the season where they finished last due to a combination of bad navigation skills and bad luck. However, they had good luck in the sense that both legs they finished last on were non-elimination legs so they got to keep racing. They also were rivals with my favorites Joseph & Monica because Joseph & Monica refused to give them money after they finished last on a non-elim leg. Which I understand. Not only did Joseph & Monica not like BJ & Tyler, but the boys had proven to be strong racers in the early legs so why would they want to help a strong team that they didn't even like anyway? This rivalry took up a good chunk of the season and resulted in BJ & Tyler yielding Joseph & Monica at one point. Despite struggling in the middle legs of the season, BJ & Tyler ran quite a strong race. They got 5 first place finishes including winning the last 3 legs of the race. Their win was whatever to me. I didn't ever like them or root for them. Also, their win caused Eric to be very bitter that he & Jeremy lost to BJ & Tyler by 5 minutes and that caused his time on all-stars with Danielle to be centered on losing season 9, even to the point where Phil let him call Jeremy at the finish line when he & Danielle won all-stars. :rolleyes: But we'll save more on Eric & Danielle for another day. BJ & Tyler are a team that I just never liked so I'm cutting them now. They placed 305th in the TAR rankdown so I don't think any other rankers are fans of them. :haha: 

• Like 1

Johnny "Bananas" Devenanzio (Total Madness)

johnny_bananas_devenanzio-1.jpg

I think with about 34 remaining entries for the main series, I think I should probably target something from The Challenge. I have been avoiding this for a bit because again, I just don't how well I can do write-ups for them. But I participated in The Challenge rankdown so I should be okay at this, right? :dead: I know my write-ups for this show won't be nearly as good or detailed as Alex's so don't expect that from me, but I'll try. :haha: Now I contemplated on which cut to make here, as I had a few options to go with but didn't know which to go with. I ultimately decided on Johnny "Bananas," as he has multiple entries in this game (I think he has 7 entries in fact?). I also noticed his name is spelled wrong a few times too. :ph34rwave: But yeah, I don't think anyone will be too heartbroken over a solo Bananas cut so might as well do this cut now. 

Johnny "Bananas" Devenanzio is undeniably a legend of The Challenge franchise, as I'm sure he's won the most seasons out of any contestant. He's won 8 seasons and participated in 23 seasons of the series (including its spin-offs). But with this entry, I am cutting Johnny's most recent win with his win on The Challenge: Total Madness. Johnny "Bananas" won The Challenge: Total Madness, which was the 35th season of The Challenge franchise. Bananas was in two elimination purgatories. One with his frenemy Wes in Episode 10's Charge the Wall purgatory and then in Episode 16's Knock Out Purgatory against Rogan. He beat both of them, of course. Bananas also won 3 main challenges with those being Episode 4 with Kaycee (Aneesa, Bear and Big T), Episode 13 with Jenny (also won with Aneesa, Cory, Josh, Nany and Rogan) and Episode 15 with Kaycee.  Johnny was a pretty dominant player, as he often is a lot of the time. I can't really recall my exact thoughts of him this season, but I am sure I wasn't like stanning him or rooting him on the season as I hardly ever do so. :haha: The season just aired 2 years ago and yikes, I can hardly remember my thoughts of him there. :dead: I'll research some videos to refresh my memory in a bit. But he played a strong game and earned his win so congrats to him on that! 

I'm not sure if Bananas will do The Challenge. I personally don't think he needs to as his legacy speaks for itself. But we still have people like C.T. and Aneesa still doing this show and they don't seem like they'll ever stop so maybe the same applies to Bananas. :dead: I know he's currently hosting 1st Look on NBC. While that's not a show I watch all the time, but don't tell anyone but I like him on that show whenever I do watch. 🙈 So maybe I could like him as a person/in other settings of shows but just not his The Challenge persona? Or maybe he has a fake but likable TV persona? I don't know, lol.

Anywho, I will close this out with two of Bananas' moments from this season. His frenemy Wes, who actually was working with Bananas, chose to go against Bananas in the Charge the Wall elimination. This was a very hyped-up elimination as the guys are two legends in the franchise and they never battled in an elimination against each other. Wes did this move to earn his red skull to the final but he ended up losing that battle.

Then this next video is his winning moment of being the top male winner of the season (Jenny being the top female and overall winner of the season).

• Like 1

Kevin Simm

Kevin Simms Music After The Voice: Pictures, Song & Video | Glamour UK

The voice UK has the most uninspiring set of winners of any series in this rankdown.  I am sure we could comfortably eliminate 7-8 of them without issue.  So I have decided to do that and cut Kevin Simm.  In 2016 Kevin Simm competed in the voice UK and auditioned with Chandelier by Sia and received a 4 chair turn.  He found his way onto team Paloma.  It was a pretty performance but like, it was nothing exciting or new.  Paloma cut him in the battle rounds only for Ricky Wilson to pick him up. On team Paloma he was able to advance past through the play offs and found himself a spot in the live shows.  Paloma gave him her week 1 fast pass after he did Des'ree's Kissing You.  Yes again, pretty.  He advanced to the Top 4 after being voted through by the public with Adele's Rolling in the Deep.  

Kevin was then up against fellow team member Jolan, who was more interesting.  He was also against vocal powerhouse Lydia Lucy and alternative Cody Frost.  Surely one of these three would win in the finals, because they weren't incredibly boring like Kevin was. WRONG.  Boring AF Kevin wins against Jolan in the Top 2.  His emotive and pretty performances of famous pop diva's songs were enough to snatch victory from anyone who might actually have had a shot at producing interesting music.  As such, he can be the first to depart from The Voice UK.

Just now, NGM said:

Lydia was mediocre and easily the worst of the F4 and Cody was beyond inconsistent (that audition was brilliant tho).

Jolan was the better choice tho, I will give you that

any of them > Kevin 

WHITNEY THOMPSON 

tumblr_p9rjcyPkWN1x8j52jo1_1280.jpg

Whitney Lee Thompson Forrester is an American plus-size model and is the winner of the tenth cycle of America's Next Top Model. Almost every judge, except for Tyra Banks, criticized her performances and personality as being "too pageant" and "fake", this came along by a CoverGirl commercial (which tbh everyone's was a hot mess to an extent hehe), Whitney landed in the bottom two with contestant Lauren Utter. Whitney received a first call-out during the music-themed photo shoot, and won one CoverGirl of the Week title, from the final photo-shoot challenge of cycle 10. She landed in the bottom two a total of four times, which makes her the winner with most bottom two appearances. Thompson competed in the finale against Anya Kop and won the title, making her the first plus-size model to win the show. 

Anyway, I just feel that on a season with Anya Kop, Fatima Siad & Katarzyna Dolinska....for WHITNEY TO WIN IT ALL?!?! Something ain't adding up. I would add Dominique but she wasn't really robbed in C10 but definitely for All Stars. Anyway, I think it's a fair cut to cut one of the weaker portfolios among the winners.

tumblr_p9x8mpDCFu1x8j52jo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Ugh I kinda wish I had gotten into The Voice UK, and Australia for that matter.

I guess with me tiring on the US version, I was just never able to look or get into the international versions. :dead: 

Although Sola's write-up on Kevin has me LOLing. :dead: I do feel like based on his song choices and the comments on him, I feel I would have liked and rooted for him? But I can't say for sure without knowing anyone else. :haha: 

Richard Hatch

dek

Another Survivor winner who has been labeled a "mastermind" and "the best player ever." These descriptions of Richard Hatch, however, were nothing more than an attempt by the producers of Survivor to market their show for a second season. In reality, Richard narrowly edged out Kelly Wiglesworth for the win, an inexperienced young girl barely out of her teens. He hardly deserves such an enormous amount of respect as the critics generally give him. As far as his personality goes, Richard was kind of a slimeball, walking around naked against the wishes of his tribemates. Even outside of strategy, there is nothing particular about him that warrants awarding him a million dollars over any other member of the cast.