Reality Champion Rankdown

Solaris

Wes Carr

Wes-Carr-image1-590x290.jpg

Wes Carr is the winner of the 6th season of Australian Idol, where he won the competition in 2008. Wes was easily my least favorite winner of this series and the only winner I just simply didn't care for. Wes was a pop/rock, soft rock, folk rock singer, but he didn't really appeal to me and just bored me. That season, I was interested in and rooted for a number of contestants such as Mark Spano, Teale Jakubenko, Roshani Priddis, Sophie Paterson, Madam Parker and Brooke Addamo. So yeah I was disappointed when none of them made it to the Final 2 and ugh, I was not here for that Luke Dickens vs. Wes Carr Final 2. 😐 But yeah Wes won out so congrats to him.

Here is a track list of what Wes sang through the course of his run on his season:

"Times Like These" by Foo Fighters – (Top 24)
"Beautiful Day" by U2 – (Top 12)
"Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen – (Top 11)
"Friday on My Mind" by The Easybeats – (Top 10)
"Fernando" by ABBA – (Top 9)
"Desire" by U2 – (Top 8 )
"If I Were A Carpenter" by The Four Tops – (Top 7)
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" by The Rolling Stones – (Top 6)
"Black or White" by Michael Jackson TOUCHDOWN! (from Marcia Hines and Jermaine Jackson) – (Top 5)
"When You Were Young" by The Killers – (Top 4)
"What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong – (Top 4) Bottom 2
"Easy" by Faith No More – (Top 3)
"Get Back" by The Beatles TOUCHDOWN! (from Dicko) and TV Throw (from Kyle Sandilands) – (Top 3)
"White Noise" by The Living End – (Top 2)
"You" by Wes Carr – (Top 2)

Wes recieved 3 touchdowns from the judges, so that's good. Maybe this cut is too early for him but eh, I just did not care for him. I did pre-write this last night as I almost chose to cut Wes then but I went for Steve first. At least I waited a day to make this cut. I'll post his audition and one of his performances below.

Ashley Nell Tipton

Ashley-Nell-Tipton-1024x1024.jpg

Like ANTM Project Runway often chooses the winner many of its fans disagree with and I don't know of a Project Runway fan that agrees with Ashely Neil Tipton's season 14 win of the show. Her clothes were all just terribly designed, not well fitted and awful all together and to watch her win was not fun and felt like she was given it for the sole purpose of them wanting to be able to say they gave a win to someone who designed plus size clothing and it didn't matter that she was an awful designer. The funny thing it? It's not just the viewers that disagree with this choice of winner, their own host at the time Tim Gunn famously stated that Ashley’s clothes were “hideous,” and he wouldn’t “dream of letting any woman wear them.” harsh. Yikes but yeah she was a horrible winner overall and I happy to make her the first Project Runway winner to leave our rankdown.

• Like 1

I don't think she's the worst winner out there. That being said, I do think her win was a bit of a "tokenism" as well she was definitely not judged fairly at time, but I didn't really mind her.

Also, none of the final collection impressed me. As a whole, S14 was just a meh season - Saisha was easily my favourite. 

I know nothing about Project Runway but when are we getting a rankdown that lets him win?!

(side-note that this made me think an iconic reality TV moments mini could be fun)

• Haha 1

4YzLyhVUJxZtSuNxGwCtAW-1200-80.jpg Interview with Project Runway Winner: Gretchen Jones | Mamanista! | Project  runway, Project runway designer, Fashion

I will be cutting my least favourite winner of Project Runway, and one that many consider to be the worst winner of the franchise - Gretchen Jones, winner of the 8th season of Project Runway.  Honestly, I can't really tell that I was ever WOW'ed by her work throughout the season, and her personality always robbed me off the wrong way - she definitely thought she was superior to everyone in the competition. While she started off near the top of the pack, she started to leave her mark as the season progressed which is probably why she started to feel the need to talk about the others ability. She had a good amount of close calls especially in the last few weeks - I probably would have eliminated her over Christopher, right before the finale.  She then managed to find a way into the finale where she delivered a my least favourite collection out of Mondo and Ari - actually she should not have been the finale with what she showed the judges. During the finale, her collection was terrible and I pretty much hated every piece that was in ; Mondo gave the best collection and he should have won but nope, it was not going to happen on Michael Kors' watch who was so Team Gretchen. The deliberation was super intense to get Gretchen's win - TIm, also unhappy with this win, would reveal that Michael Kors was so convinced that we need a sportswear winner and he managed to convince / manipulate - just like Gretchen did during the team challenge - Nina into advocating for Gretchen over Mondo despite preferring Mondo over Gretchen's collection.  My favourite part of the Tim's interview was that he threw shade at Michael : "“I thought, ‘Well, Mr. Kors, you just want to validate yourself. But do you want to validate yourself with Gretchen?’ :dead: 

Anyway, Mondo's collection was flawless and he should have won. At the end of the day, Gretchen's career did not work out in the fashion industry so being the judges' favourite / choices doesn
't always mean that you are the real winner of the season as that title probably belongs to Ari and Mondo who is still very much active in the industry. 

• Like 1

And on this day we give thanks to Gretchen for beating Mondo because otherwise they might not have invented Project Runway All Stars to give him a win lmao

But yeah Gretchen was definitely the villain of the season. But I enjoyed hating her, unlike some other villains on these kinds of shows. She made for a good season of television.

But Irina is still my favorite Project Runway villain winner :wub::wub::wub::wub: I love Irina unironically 

• Like 2

Jennifer Behm

Chef Jennifer Behm-Lazzarini - 2017 Great American Seafood Cook-Off

We hadn't lost anyone from Masterchef yet so I figured I would cut one.  I looked a couple of rankings and Jennifer was listed on or near the bottom a couple of times so I will use this opportunity to cut her. Jennifer won the second season of Masterchef.  Out of a cast of 18 she made it to the Top 3 with 3 individual wins and 3 team wins.  She was low and I believe that means being up for elimination by being part of the pressure test 6 times.  That feels like a lot for a reality show but I guess its not bad considering the season had 20 episodes in it. I assume this is why she is considered the worst one (consistency). Jennifer wound up being fellow finalist Adrien Neito in the grand final with her dish of scallop, quail and poached pears.  Sounds like an interesting combination for a fish.  Maybe that was three courses? Appetizer, Entree and dessert sounds like the right set. Either way, sorry if there are any fans!

_101845243_lostvoiceguy.jpg
Lost Voice Guy

We haven’t lost anyone from Britains Got Talent yet and Lost Voice Guy is by far by least favourite winner. Lost Voice Guy won the twelfth series of Britains Got Talent. Lost Voice Guy was diagnosed with Cerebal Palsy at a young age which left him in a coma for two months which then affected his movement and was left unable to speak. I always find comedians to be very hit or miss and Lost Voice Guy was a complete miss for me. I didn’t enjoy his prepared routines and found it all completely predictable. I like comedy that’s off the cuff and in the moment. We constantly see “comedians” who take the piss out of their own disabilities and that’s why I find it all so predictable. Good on the people who do that because they can make people laugh but it all seemed so scripted. He’s gone on to do some TV work and tour round the UK. I think he returned to Got Talent and competed in America’s Got Talent: Champions where he was eliminated fairly early. I don’t know whether that was deserved or not because I don’t have any interest in his career. Robert White should’ve won! 

• Like 2

Ilan Hall (Top Chef - Season 2)

Chef Ilan Hall '02, International Food Ambassador | CIA Culinary School

Top Chef is a great show. It's probably the most prestigious food competition show out there. As they years go by, they have tried to attract very successful, award winning, up-and-coming chefs for the cast. They get super famous guest judges. Scratch that, not even "famous" for normal people. Super acclaimed food icons that the average viewer wouldn't even know. Top Chef has had some successful spin-offs, like Top Chef Masters that isn't even part of this game. Some of the winners and past contestants are now even more prominent in the food and entertainment industry, for example Queen Stephanie Izard became an Iron Chef. Top Chef is the first show to finally win the Emmy for Outstanding Reality Competition over The Amazing Race after 8 years. 

But how did Top Chef rise to fame? It certainly wasn't the crunchy first season, where everyone was trying to get their footing and figure out exactly how things would work. No, Top Chef didn't reach iconic status until Season 2. Chefs in general tend to make for great TV. A lot of them are intense, huge personalities, egos, tattoos, swearing... not what you might be used to if you're watching American Idol and DWTS or whatever. And the chefs they got for Top Chef are a different breed than the shiny TV-ready ones you might see on Food Network Star. Top Chef Season 2 had an iconic cast. Particularly the Top 5. All had very distinct personalities, and you could never figure out if you loved or hated them. Just great TV. And then Top Chef had its iconic moment.

This video has the entire clip from that was aired on the show. I highly recommend watching. They get drunk after a challenge. Elia decides she wants to shave her head. Ilan says he will too. Then for some reason Ilan and Cliff get it in their heads that it would be hilarious to shave Marcel's head. Against his will. Cliff pins Marcel on the floor. Marcel is trying to fight him off. Ilan has a video camera and is egging Cliff on. Marcel gets away. Then the head judge comes by the next morning and says SURPRISE you're disqualified. Only Cliff gets disqualified, unfortunately. Ilan sticks around despite being the ringleading monkey in the background. 

I might be biased as a huge Marcel stan from the start of Season 2 until the present. But Ilan winning over Marcel was GARBAGE. Sure, I'd absolutely take a Sam or Elia win. But Marcel was an unusual talent. Yes Marcel was obnoxious. Yes Marcel was annoying. But he made really interesting and creative food. And Marcel winning after the incident would have been the perfect TV storyline. I think they might have been nervous to give the title to Marcel because he might not be popular with the audience. But it turns out that the solution to that problem is not to give it to the boring, whiny, unexciting other guy who basically orchestrated Marcel's assault just a couple weeks earlier. 

AND THEN AFTER THE SHOW AIRED, Marcel confirmed that Elia and Ilan only shaved their head AFTER Marcel was assaulted. So they felt guilty and were trying to deflect the attention off of the Marcel incident by shaving their own heads. Marcel went on to be 10000x more successful. He has his own restaurant and catering company. He was on the Next Iron Chef, had his own TV show on SyFy, was a contestant and judge for other food shows. He was part of Top Chef Season 8 (All Stars 1) which in my book is in the running for the best season of reality television of all time. 

In conclusion: Ilan was a whatever contestant and was involved in a historic reality TV moment and should not have been rewarded with the title

CAMERON COLE

cameron-1_900x350_acf_cropped.png?&auto=

Cameron Cole is the winner of the last civilian series of BBUK. Although, it shall be returning again next year but right now he's the last winner. Anyway, I found Cameron to be insufferable throughout the season because he did the whole "shy kid with a secret" act, and it was an act! He also is known for coming out on TV, BUT rumours have it that he was already out and just did it to get people to vote for him and support him. Mad props on that strategy but eh. He didn't really add any value to the season other than having some funny moments with Tomasz and then just known for being in love with Lewis F (who is hot so I get it but he was certainly an awful person). Cameron now has an OnlyFans, well I don't if he still is posting but I remember reading somewhere that him and his boyfriend would post stuff together there so yeah he certainly isn't this shy gay kid anymore! :giggle:

Jermaine Paul

OIP.yn3b5kfdDDgdBsIFZDVOMQHaJ4?pid=ImgDe

Jeremiah Jermaine Paul is an R&B singer-songwriter that was the Season 2 winner of The Voice. He was co-nominated at the 48th Grammy Awards in a collaborative work with Alicia Keys as the featured artist. Jermaine was a member of the R&B group 1Accord. He auditioned with the song "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne. He chose Blake Shelton as his coach. His winning song, a cover of "I Believe I Can Fly" made it to #83 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. His second siǹgle, "Soul Man", with Blake Shelton reached #108. He was supposed to release an album in 2015, but that never happened. I'm a Chris Mann and Juliet Simms fan, so you can imagine my disappointment when he won. 

Edited by taylorkat
fixing an error
  • Like 1

LOL wow I forgot all about Cameron Cole, but from reading Akshar's write-up, I totally remember him now. :dead: I can't remember my exact thoughts on him now though. But yeah his strategy/act did work in his favor to get him the win. 

Aww I liked Jermaine Paul, but I know he's not well liked or supported on this forum due to who he beat out. :ph34rwave: I preferred Juliet as well but still liked Jermaine. :haha: 

• Haha 2

w-hayden.jpg

Hayden Moss

The kingpin of the most objectionable alliance in Big Brother history. I didn't like his arrogance. I didn't like his hair. As "The Brigade," Hayden, Lane, Enzo, and Matt controlled the house, along with their various side allies. They had me rooting for Rachel, and that's something I would not otherwise have done. He had an easy path to the end, as he picked off all his opposition, and he was not a likable fellow. We have been on a such a good roll with eliminating the worst of the Big Brother champions, and Hayden, I feel, completes the set.

• Like 1

Sky Brown

dwts-juniors-11-20001.jpg

Similar to my Keith cut, this is just another example of something that never should have happened. Men never should've been on ANTM and children never should've been on DWTS. As DWTS' ratings continued to decline, the producers had the marvelous idea of creating a kids only season consisting of celebrity children and children of celebrities. I'm sorry but I just have no interest in watching a preteen dancing a Salsa. I did not tune in and I have worked hard to try to make this site forget it ever happened by never including the season in any of my DWTS rankdowns lol ❤️. Anyways, Sky Brown, a professional skateboarder, won the season. She had the lowest overall points total out of all the finalists so it seems like maybe she was a shock win. Or maybe she wasn't idk. Lol @ Gleb having a Dance Moms kid on his team and still being unable to pull off a win :wub:. I'm sure she's a sweet girl and on a personal level she absolutely does not deserve to be at the bottom of this ranking with all the other trash we've been cutting. This is not an attack on Sky, this is an attack on DWTS: Juniors which I feel was a mistake that never should have happened.

Aww Sky was adorable. :haha:❤️  I understand Alex's reasoning though with his write-up.

But ahh she was a decent dancer but definitely was the weakest of the Final 4. I did prefer the other three as I felt they were better dancers, so I wasn't too pleased with the result. But Sky also won at a time when Bobby Bones won just a month prior to her, so it made her win look like a Kristi Yamaguchi win in comparison. :dead:  :haha: 

Nona Sivley

l-intro-1611945664.jpg

For my next cut, I have decided on Nona Sivley. I decided to take a note from Steven where I went through the source of reddit to make this decision as I saw a thread of "the worst Hell's Kitchen Winners" and saw a lot of mentions of Nona, so I figured she would be an okay cut to make from that show.

Nona Sivley is a Sous Chef from Atlanta, GA, who is the winner of Season 8's Hell's Kitchen, where she won the show in December 2010. With her win, she earned a number of rewards such as being the head chef position at LA Market at JW Marriott Hotel in Los Angeles with a $250,000 salary and being a spokesperson job for Rosemount Estate Wines. With the start of her journey, Nona seemed to be perceived as an underdog as Chef Gordon Ramsay would look at her dishes and go "no no no." I guess they didn't look pleasing or have the right aesthetic of a good dish. Nona would gradually improve and step up her game each week. However, comments I've seen from people about her were saying she was pretty average through the season. People were also saying that Russell would have been a better winner but he was an a-word so maybe that prevented him from win? I'm also seeing comments of other chefs being average that year and she couldn't compare to chefs on other seasons. Hmmm. Although Nona did receive praise for the palate she made.

Some of Nona's stats on the show included having 6 challenge wins, 4 services wins, achieving 3 out of 4 blind taste test score wins, 3 times being the BoW/Announcer and was nominated twice. All of this led to Nona winning her season, so congrats to her there. But with the comments I've read of her being one of the weaker winners of the series just leads me to this cut right now.

• Solaris changed the title to Reality Champion Rankdown