SCD Series 20 Discussion Thread

Ellie Simmonds OBE is our sixth celebrity contestant for 2022!

p0crlxht.jpg

Ellie Simmonds OBE is best known as a gold medal-winning Paralympic swimmer and broadcaster. At the age of thirteen she was the youngest British athlete at the 2008 Summer Paralympics in Beijing, and won gold medals in the 100m and 400m freestyle events. 

Ellie Simmonds said: “Oh my gosh!! I’m literally bursting with excitement!! It’s been soooo hard keeping this secret as I’ve wanted to tell everyone. I’m going on Strictly Come Dancing!! I’m a tad nervous too, well more than a tad… I’m absolutely petrified! To be asked to be part of the Strictly family is just so exciting and I cannot wait, it’s going to so much fun. I’m counting down the minutes until it starts; learning to dance, meeting my partner and everyone else involved in the show. Plus wearing the sequins and all that, It’s going to be a blast. I’ve been watching Strictly from as far back as I can remember; it’s a traditional lead up to Christmas with my family and it’s a genuine privilege to be part of it.”

In 2012 she achieved gold in the 400m freestyle and the 200m Individual Medley at the Summer Paralympics in London and won a further gold in the 200m Individual Medley at Rio 2016. In addition she has won ten gold World Championship titles. At the age of 13 she won BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year and a year later, at just 14 years old, she became the youngest person ever receive an MBE. She was elevated to OBE in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to Paralympic sport.

After retiring from competitive swimming in 2020, Ellie has gone on to present for BBC Sport, most recently for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, as well as making documentaries such as Ellie Simmonds: A World Without Dwarfism? for BBC One and BBC iPlayer. She is set to explore disability and adoption in a recently announced ITV film.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/34b5866f-3dfa-481d-beb7-39b5182be80e

Contestants
Will Mellor: age 46 and 5’ 11”
Richie Anderson: age 34 and 6’ 2” (Digital Spy’s guess)

Kym Marsh: age 46 and 5’ 4”
Kaye Adams: age 59 and 5’ 7”
Jayde Adams: age 37 and 5’ 10”

Ellie Simmonds: age 27 and 4' 0"

Pros
Luba: 5’ 9”
Nadiya: 5’ 8”
Nancy: 5’ 6”
Katya: 5’ 6”
Lauren: 5’ 6”
Amy: 5’ 5”
Karen: 5’ 5”
Michelle: 5’ 5”
Dianne: 5’ 5”
Jowita: 5’ 0”

Johannes: 6’ 3”
Kai: 6’ 2”
Carlos: 6’ 1”
Vito: 5’ 11”
Graziano: 5’ 11”
Nikita: 5’ 11”
Giovanni: 5’ 10”
Neil: 5’ 9”
Cameron: 5’ 8”
Gorka: 5’ 6”

I think that Gorka is the logical choice to partner Ellie, he's the shortest male pro and has been on Strictly for awhile with good range of abilities in his partners so I think he'd be up for the challenge; I also think that Ellie & Gorka would mesh really well together as personalities, they'd be competitive but also have fun.  

Predictions (subject to change)
Will & Dianne
Kym & Neil
Richie & Graziano
Kaye & Johannes
Jayde & Kai

Ellie & Gorka

Two new male castings today!

Tyler West is our seventh celebrity for Strictly 2022

p0crnnp7.jpg

Tyler West is a TV presenter, radio host and DJ.

Tyler West said: “I am SO gassed to be joining the Strictly family! As I started writing this I already got cramp. It’s going to be one crazy incredible journey which will no doubt be SO far outside my comfort zone. It’s a show that means so much to me and my family and I can’t wait to seriously shake a leg on that shiny dance floor… with a side of sequins.

Tyler is best known for hosting weekday afternoons on KISS, for which he was nominated for a prestigious ARIA for Best New Presenter in 2020. Having begun his broadcasting career in children’s television, presenting various programming across CBBC, he has hosted MTV News, HQ Trivia and the 2020 EE BAFTA Awards Red Carpet Live Show. Last year he launched his first BBC Three series, co-hosting Flat out Fabulous as well as becoming the host of The MTV Movie Show.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/6f84ac94-dde4-4a27-a9eb-3c528612ebe2

When will Matt Goss be on Strictly? 2022!

p0crs08x.jpg

Singer-songwriter, musician and actor Matt Goss is our eighth celebrity confirmed for a brand new series of Strictly.

Matt Goss said: “I’m extremely nervous and excited, but I’m optimistic because I’m very supple from the knees down.”

Music legend, Matt Goss, has enjoyed mega success as the front man of BROS, with their debut album Push going platinum seven times. It remained on the UK top ten music charts for an astonishing 54 weeks. With continued success as a solo artist, Matt is about to release his solo album, The Beautiful Unknown.

Over the last decade, Matt has had a record breaking residency on the Las Vegas strip. He has received the revered “Icon Award” and has even been given his own “Matt Goss Day” on 8th August, which amazingly is his late mother’s birthday. The cult classic documentary: After the Screaming Stops, was nominated for three BAFTA’s which resulted in a win. It also won the BBC “Moment of the Year” and a National Television Award, to name a few.

Matt is a best-selling author with new books in the works. He is also set to play the lead role in upcoming psychological thriller movie, Cobbler Killer Stranger.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/efaaf2ca-8da1-421f-9175-47ab94b2c870

I really like both of the male castings today. :yes: 

Tyler reminds me of a Karim/Rhys signing. So I think he either has potential to be really good and could go really far, or he could get lost in the shuffle early on ala Dev. Or it could be neither of those and he makes it mid-season. :haha: 

Matt Goss is someone I do kinda know/remember, mainly because of the Strictly Christmas special he did years ago. I think he had a good dance then but I'll need a refresher. I think/hope he has potential to be good because he's a really good casting.

Very excited to see Ellie!I hope she does well.

I do think Tyler could have some potential but we'll just have to wait & see.

I have heard of Matt from the christmas special so also excited to see him.

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

Tyler reminds me of a Karim/Rhys signing. So I think he either has potential to be really good and could go really far, or he could get lost in the shuffle early on ala Dev. Or it could be neither of those and he makes it mid-season. :haha: 

MTE :haha: I’ve not heard of Tyler similar to how I feel like Karim/Rhys were both not big names but did very well so I’m hopeful. But also radio DJs haven’t always done the best especially if they don’t have the big fanbase like Dev, Vick or Spoony. But I’m enjoying what I see of him so I’m hopeful!

• Like 1

Actress and comedian Ellie Taylor is our ninth celebrity contestant!

p0crxzff.jpg

Ellie Taylor is a comedian, broadcaster, writer and actor.

Ellie Taylor said: “Well, cover me in fake tan and roll me in sequins! I'm absolutely over the moon to be a part of Strictly 2022! I've watched the show for years so to be able to take to the dance floor is a dream come true, for both me and mum who is a Strictly super fan! At the moment I'm focusing on the excitement and glitter and choosing to ignore the fact that I have the dancing ability of a newly born giraffe. Bring it on!"

Ellie Taylor began her career as a stand-up comedian after appearing on ITV’s Show Me The Funny and has gone on to write and perform five stand-up comedy shows, one of which, Cravings, streamed on Netflix as part of Comedians of the World. Ellie is known as a regular on the BBC’s Mock The Week, The Mash Report and Live at the Apollo, Late Night Mash on Dave and, most recently, as a co-host on Channel 4’s The Great Pottery Throw Down. She also stars in Apple TV’s multi-award winning comedy series Ted Lasso. Ellie’s debut book, My Child and Other Mistakes, became a Sunday Times bestseller in 2021.

Her forthcoming projects include two brand-new formats as she presents You Won’t Believe This (w/t) for Channel 4 and co-hosts Cheat alongside Danny Dyer, which is coming soon to Netflix.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/860387f8-a7ca-4134-a9b6-b7d28779d071

Oooh wow it's interesting how we have two Ellie's in the cast. :haha: But Ellie does sound like a good casting. And really cool she was on Ted Lasso too. Looking forward to how she does! 😮 

Contestants
Will Mellor: age 46 and 5’ 11”
Richie Anderson: age 34 and 6’ 2” (Digital Spy’s guess)

Tyler West: age 26 and 6’ 2”

Matt Goss: age 53 and 5’ 11”

Kym Marsh: age 46 and 5’ 4”
Kaye Adams: age 59 and 5’ 7”
Jayde Adams: age 37 and 5’ 10”

Ellie Simmonds: age 27 and 4' 0"

Ellie Taylor: age 38 and 5’ 11”

Pros
Luba: 5’ 9”
Nadiya: 5’ 8”
Nancy: 5’ 6”
Katya: 5’ 6”
Lauren: 5’ 6”
Amy: 5’ 5”
Karen: 5’ 5”
Michelle: 5’ 5”
Dianne: 5’ 5”
Jowita: 5’ 0”

Johannes: 6’ 3”
Kai: 6’ 2”
Carlos: 6’ 1”

Graziano: 6’ 0”
Vito: 5’ 11”
Nikita: 5’ 11”
Giovanni: 5’ 10”
Neil: 5’ 9”
Cameron: 5’ 8”
Gorka: 5’ 6”

So with Ellie T. being the tallest woman so far, I’m changing my prediction and thinking tallest male pro Johannes will be with her.  I think Kaye will get Gio since he’s likely getting the usual duffer after winning (I’m torn between Richie and Kaye getting either Gio or Graziano).  Tyler seems like he might be a tall contender so naturally I want him with Nadiya 😊.  Matt could be with pretty much any female pro aside from Luba, Nadiya and probably Jowita; I feel like he and Nancy would be a good fit.  

Predictions (subject to change)
Will & Dianne
Kym & Neil
Richie & Graziano
Kaye & Giovanni
Jayde & Kai

Ellie S. & Gorka

Tyler & Nadiya

Matt & Nancy

Ellie T. & Johannes

I heard of a rumored contestant from The Sun that I thought I’d share since it would include some fun trivia but putting it in spoiler tags just in case for those who want to be surprised:

The Sun is saying that Helen Skelton has signed on for this series.  She participated in the Christmas Special almost a decade ago (danced with Artem) and Matt Goss did it the following year (with Aliona).  There haven’t been any Christmas Special-turned-Main Series contestants for awhile (last one was Simon Webbe about three years before he did series 12) and this year there might be two of them!

34 minutes ago, Abe1818 said:

The way I could've seen Ellie.T being paired with Aljaz if he was still here

Ugh yeah that would have been such a great pairing. :( 

• Like 1

Two more new signings today!

Welcome Molly Rainford our tenth celebrity contestant!

p0cs3lvl.jpg

Molly Rainford is a singer and actress.

Molly Rainford said: “I'm so excited to be part of Strictly Come Dancing, I've watched it for years and can't wait to meet the pros and the others taking part! I can't wait to learn the moves and get dancing!”

At only 21 years old, ‘intergalactic pop superstar’ singer and actress Molly Rainford is about to become a household name.

Molly burst onto TV screens at the age of eleven in 2012, when she became the youngest ever finalist of Britain’s Got Talent. Choosing to continue her studies after BGT, Simon Cowell and Sony Music honoured Molly with their first ever drama school scholarship at internationally renowned Sylvia Young Theatre School.

Since graduating, Molly is currently starring in the lead role as intergalactic pop superstar ‘Nova Jones’ in the hit CBBC show Nova Jones. This Autumn, Molly will be seen across CBBC screens as Nova Jones returns for series two. The series has proved so popular that the BBC has already filmed a third series.

Molly has been shortlisted for best newcomer at the 2022 Variety Club Showbusiness Awards and has released two EP's, including single Commitment, which has garnered over two million streams to date.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/6c099ecf-5b4b-4138-95cb-72d3f20ce046

Football legend Tony Adams MBE is our latest signing for Strictly 2022!

p0cs56y9.jpg

Tony Adams MBE is a former English football player and manager.

Tony Adams MBE said: “To say I’m excited is an understatement - the lure of the sequins and the call of the salsa has me swapping my battered old football boots for a set of Strictly soft shoes. Am absolutely thrilled to be giving it my all on this year’s 20th anniversary of Strictly Come Dancing. I can’t wait to meet my partner - god help her - and start the dancing.”

Tony Adams MBE is a football legend. The formidable centre-back’s football career spanned over 22 years, playing for both Arsenal and England. Having captained both, he is regarded as one of Arsenal’s greatest ever players and one of the all-time greats of English football. Tony Adams MBE won 66 caps for England, appeared at four major tournaments and had 10 major trophy wins whilst is still the only player in English football history to captain a team to three top flight titles over three different decades. As captain of England, he famously led the national team to the Euro 96 semi-final. Whilst he was playing he founded Sporting Chance, a charity to help sportspeople with mental health and addiction issues of which he remains Honorary president today.

Upon retirement Tony Adams MBE, a father to six and husband to wife Poppy, went into coaching and management before recently launching his new venture, SIX MHS, which delivers Mental Health and Addictions services to non-sportspeople and non-sport’s organisations. He remains a patron of four other additional charities, NACOA, Forward Trust, Saving Faces, School Home Support and has started the charity, 6 Addiction, for people that can’t afford private mental health services.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/d8da35e4-7f55-46ba-925f-038daccb32b1

Don't know Molly, but I'm really excited about her! I don't want to put too much high expectations as I don't know her dance background, but a young singer/actress combo is almost always bound to do really well. I could definitely see her being the IDF It Girl of the series but the voting public may not love her as much.

I don't know Tony either but he was one of the names spoiled/leaked by The Sun of him joining the show. So it was inevitable that he would be on. Not too hopeful for him but I'm sure he'll give it a good try. :haha: 

• Like 1

Molly is an interesting signing. I am familiar with her, but don't know a lot about her so excited to get to know her. Agree with Wally that I can definitely see her being an IDF It Girl of ths season :yes:

• Like 1

Two more celebs, one already posted and another new one!

Fleur East is heading in the direction of the Strictly dance floor!

p0csd4tb.jpg

Fleur East is a singer-songwriter, TV and radio presenter.

Fleur East said: “I’m equally nervous and thrilled to be part of this year’s Strictly line up. I’m excited to learn new skills and I want to soak up every moment of this magical experience. It’s such an honour to be on the show after years of watching it with my Father who loved it so much. Unfortunately my Dad is no longer with us but I know he will be watching over the ballroom in spirit. I’m doing this to make him and my family proud and can’t wait to get my dancing shoes on!”

After coming runner-up in series 11 of The X Factor, Fleur has been a regular face in the world of music and broadcasting. As a singer she has released two albums, with European chart hit single “Sax” reaching number three in the UK singles chart. After appearing on I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here in 2018 she became host of the Hits Radio Breakfast show which she hosts every weekday. She has also appeared as a presenter on the last three series of Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway and a host of ITV gameshow The Void.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/818bdfea-985f-4d6b-809f-bf940792a037

Hamza Yassin is our thirteenth celebrity contestant for Strictly 2022!

p0csfv7p.jpg

Hamza Yassin is a wildlife cameraman and presenter.

Hamza Yassin said: “I am absolutely over the moon to be joining Strictly 2022. Never in a million years did I think I’d be on such a cool show. I’ve been watching it for years and I can’t believe I’ll actually be there dancing live in front of the British public. My dance skills are currently at the level of ‘1970’s disco vibe’ but I’m ready to work hard and will be shaking it every time I get the chance – shake it ‘til you make it!”

Hamza is one of the presenters of BBC’s Animal Park and a guest presenter on BBC’s Countryfile where he shares his vast knowledge and camera skills. He is well known to younger viewers under the guise of Ranger Hamza, presenting CBeebies live-action show Let’s Go For A Walk and new series Ranger Hamza’s Eco Quest later this month. Hamza moved to the Scottish Highlands when he was younger to follow his dream of filming Scottish wildlife and becoming a wildlife cameraman. He has lived there ever since and recently fronted Channel 4 documentary Scotland: My Life in the Wild and Scotland: Escape to the Wilderness, in which he guided celebrity companions on journeys through western and eastern Scotland and the Highlands. In his spare time, Hamza competes in the Highland Games and enjoys riding the country roads on his motorbike.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/9c0f8ded-333c-4050-b8a4-09c739fe74cb

• Like 1

Ahh I'm SO excited for Fleur doing this show! :spaz: :spaz: :spaz: 

I think this was the most excited I have been for a celeb reveal since Alexandra Burke's. It's always fun seeing people you don't know and growing to love them through the course of the show. But it's also always fun seeing people you know and have loved for years doing the show! She's gonna be so great, fun and will tear it up on the Latin dances! :bobo: 

I don't know Hazma, but he seems like an interesting casting. Especially as he's partially known as a camera man. Curious how he will do.

• Like 2