American Idol S20 Top 14 Performance Discussion

istersay

1 hour ago, taylorkat said:

A few choices were made tonight. 

Well said. ❤️ 

1 hour ago, sublymonal said:

Judge’s Choice. Each judge picks a song for them and they pick one of the three. They won’t know which judge chose which. The judge with the most picks at the end wins a “prize”

Omgg not one of the judges winning a prize! :lmao: :dead:  

The theme sounds kind of fun though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redwood79 said:

I agree, they did vote 6 girls and 4 guys just last round, and 3 girls could've very well went home tonight instead of 2-1. America's being fairly behaved in terms of voting gender wise this season compared to previous ones. Now whether they've voted in the right girls is a different story. 

I mean, when the voting rounds started there were 10 males and 13 females (excluding Kenedi), and now there are 6 males and 5 females. That means 60% of males still remain compared to only 38% of females. Doesn't seem that fairly behaved to me :( 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BrokenHearted said:

I mean, when the voting rounds started there were 10 males and 13 females (excluding Kenedi), and now there are 6 males and 5 females. That means 60% of males still remain compared to only 38% of females. Doesn't seem that fairly behaved to me :( 

To be fair, part of that was that the judges picked 3 guys for wildcards.

1 minute ago, xfactor22 said:

To be fair, part of that was that the judges picked 3 guys for wildcards.

Yeah but all the male wildcards still made it past the next round of voting. If the judges had done 2 male and 2 female wildcards then I'm 90% sure that the other female wildcard would've been eliminated tonight instead of Dan... I can't see Katyrah, Sage, Cadence or Elli having much of a shot of making the top 11. So it would've most likely still been 6 males and 5 females in the top 11.

10 minutes ago, BrokenHearted said:

Yeah but all the male wildcards still made it past the next round of voting. If the judges had done 2 male and 2 female wildcards then I'm 90% sure that the other female wildcard would've been eliminated tonight instead of Dan... I can't see Katyrah, Sage, Cadence or Elli having much of a shot of making the top 11. So it would've most likely still been 6 males and 5 females in the top 11.

You don’t know that as that didn’t happen. Also Dan was a public vote last week everyone assumed would make top 5 or something. But he got eliminated. For all we know he could’ve been the lowest vote getter tonight. Also 6 and five is a pretty narrow margin. 

31 minutes ago, BrokenHearted said:

But like...no. Each cut is a subjective cut-off point and it swings a lot with each vote. If they just did a Top 10 and had no wild card round and nobody was saved, the Top 10 right now would be 6 girls and 4 guys by America's Vote. That is 46% of female contestants remaining and 40% of male contestants remaining.

It just so happens, by luck, that the vote that mattered was the one where the guys won (tonight) and by *judges choice* that 3 guys were saved. This is not like the last few seasons where girls get cut without fail every time

Edited by redwood79

letting Dan go was a mistake, where was the judges save, reverse emryson with dan and that should been the better result, she is not memorable and definitely not top 3 material. Happy Ava is gone. Mark my words my votes will make sure that Hunter, Mike and Noah will be the top 3, all country finale. 

12 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

You don’t know that as that didn’t happen. Also Dan was a public vote last week everyone assumed would make top 5 or something. But he got eliminated. For all we know he could’ve been the lowest vote getter tonight. Also 6 and five is a pretty narrow margin. 

I mean even if that had happened (which I think is pretty unlikely) and it'd been 6 females and 5 males in the top 11, that'd still be a higher % of males making the top 11 (5 out of 10 aka 50%) compared to females (6 out of 13 aka 46%).

6 to 5 would be a narrow margin if there were equal numbers of males and females to begin with but that's not what happened.

11 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

But like...no. Each cut is a subjective cut-off point and it swings a lot with each vote. If they just did a Top 10 and had no wild card round and nobody was saved, the Top 10 right now would be 6 girls and 4 guys by America's Vote. That is 46% of female contestants remaining and 40% of male contestants remaining.

It just so happens, by luck, that the vote that mattered was the one where the guys won (tonight) and by *judges choice* that 3 guys were saved. This is not like the last few seasons where girls get cut without fail every time

I mean at the end of the day I think most people would agree that that the female cast this season is significantly stronger than the males, and yet there's still more males than females in the top 11. Ava and Allegra have been consistently good throughout the season and still got voted out in favour of weak and inconsistent males.  If it was just this season that this sort of thing happened then maybe it could be put down to random chance, but like you said it happens every season... it's not like the voters suddenly stopped being sexist this season lol. 

15 minutes ago, BrokenHearted said:

I mean even if that had happened (which I think is pretty unlikely) and it'd been 6 females and 5 males in the top 11, that'd still be a higher % of males making the top 11 (5 out of 10 aka 50%) compared to females (6 out of 13 aka 46%).

6 to 5 would be a narrow margin if there were equal numbers of males and females to begin with but that's not what happened.

I mean at the end of the day I think most people would agree that that the female cast this season is significantly stronger than the males, and yet there's still more males than females in the top 11. Ava and Allegra have been consistently good throughout the season and still got voted out in favour of weak and inconsistent males.  If it was just this season that this sort of thing happened then maybe it could be put down to random chance, but like you said it happens every season... it's not like the voters suddenly stopped being sexist this season lol. 

You can’t know who would’ve advanced   if Ellie, Candence, etc. got picked

I think is a pretty even match between guys and girls this season. Also, imo, the strongest  male did get eliminated last week, (tho that may be  because his style of genre would’ve been better suited for The Voice). Also Allegra was good, but there were to many people in her lane already  (and tbh, I preferred Elli  who was eliminated last week to her, even though both are good.) . Ava has a unique tone, but it’s an acquired taste. Also, while she did  well, people may have been sick of “sign of the times” by now. And I think there were other “quirky” contestants who voters preferred to Ava. 

obviously idol still has a problem with sexism and it’s important to acknowledge that, but it’s partially due to the judges and edits, and I don’t think the eliminations tonight was a shining example of sexism, especially considering the talent seems to be pretty even between most of  the guys and most of the girls. On the other hand,  If Nicolina or Lady K had  been eliminated tonight, that would’ve definitely been  a case of misogyny and misogynoir  in the latter. 

Edited by xfactor22

Every situation in the United States shouldn't be blamed on sexism, racism, or political ideology. We shouldn't assume reality competition voting is predominantly based on a contestant's gender or skin color. All liberals don't behave a certain way, and neither do all conservatives.

I think most people support singing that they enjoy hearing. Some individuals have a preference for one specific music genre; others listen to multiple genres. Some people like quirky vocalists and embellishments; others dislike affectations and extensive ornamentation. Some people prefer the sound of female voices; others prefer male voices. Some people consider each episode's performances and vote for the singers who impressed them that night. Personal favorites are chosen for a variety of reasons. Viewers might back a contestant because of talent, growth shown during the season, or a moving backstory.

Edited by RTV

4 hours ago, RTV said:

Every situation in the United States shouldn't be blamed on sexism, racism, or political ideology. We shouldn't assume reality competition voting is predominantly based on a contestant's gender or skin color. All liberals don't behave a certain way, and neither do all conservatives.

I think most people support singing that they enjoy hearing. Some individuals have a preference for one specific music genre; others listen to multiple genres. Some people like quirky vocalists and embellishments; others dislike affectations and extensive ornamentation. Some people prefer the sound of female voices; others prefer male voices. Some people consider each episode's performances and vote for the singers who impressed them that night. Personal favorites are chosen for a variety of reasons. Viewers might back a contestant because of talent, growth shown during the season, or a moving backstory.

I mean sexism, racism, etc. do play a factor in many situations of the USA, including in singing competitions. However, I don’t think last night was much of an example of that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Yeah.  Compared to last time, 6 guys and 5 girls isn't as bad.  Still wanted 5 guys and 6 girls, however.

For real. Ava was robbed by live voting this time I bet if was after episode voting she would've made it in again and it would've been 6 girls and 5 guys

Edited by redwood79