Why Katyrah Lost

CarmenSandiego

Katyrah was one of my personal favorites.  Unfortunately, my rooting for her ended all too soon as she failed to get into the Top 14 through public voting, and then failed to get a Judges' Wildcard slot.  But how did it happen?  What caused Katyrah to end her journey in the Top 20?  As with Cadence, Cameron, Elli and Jacob I'll look at my list of rules of what American Idol Season 20 contestants need to follow in order to find out what Katyrah did right, what she did wrong and why she lost.

Show Singing and Performing Talent

Katyrah had enough singing and performing talent to make the Top 24.  She also showed her singing and performing talent in her Top 24 group.  But she might not have shown both off as well in her Top 20 performance or her Wildcard song.  In her Top 20 performance, the Too Fab staff thought that she didn't nail all the big notes and that she might have gotten into her head a little too much, while Crisis thought that she wasn't able to match the energy that Bishop Briggs had when Katyrah sang "Dream."  And while I loved her performance, others on IDF ranked it lower than I did.  And what about her Wildcard slot song?  Katyrah chose "Through the Fire", and the Too Fab staff put her last amongst those in danger, saying that she didn't nail some of the big notes that she needed to hit.  Thus, Katyrah failed  this rule.

Song Choice Is Key

I think this is the main problem that Katyrah had.  Crisis hit the nail right on the head:  Chaka Khan is a vocal powerhouse.  You need to have a tremendously powerful voice in order to take on her songs.  While it's commendable that Katyrah wanted to go big, she really should have chosen a different song.  Thus Katyrah struck out on this rule.

Be Consistently Outstanding or Better Yet, Consistently Improve Every Week

This was another rule that Katyrah had problems with.  I believe that she hit her peak in the Top 24 round, but then she stalled.  You can't afford to hit a plateau, especially in the early rounds.  Thus Katyrah messed this rule up as well.

Stand Out by Being Unique, or By Being Memorable for Positive Reasons

I don't think that Katyrah did as well with this rule as she could have.  She was a fine performer and had some memorability in her backstory,  but it didn't reach out as much to people as the backstory of say, Lady K., who definitely was more memorable.  Thus Katyrah stumbled slightly with this rule as well.

Remember, You Are a Package

Katyrah had problems with this rule as well.  She had a package -- a powerful voice -- and was an entertainer as well but her packaging was comparatively plain compared to that of Lady K., who also had a powerful voice but had a more sympathetic backstory.  Thus Katyrah fouled up this rule as well.

Never, Ever Argue With the Judges or Respond to Baiting From Ryan

At least Katyrah succeeded with this rule.  But that didn't help her, so we'll move on.

Gather a Fan Base -- And Sustain It

This is the final rule Katyrah had problems with.  She wasn't a Country singer like Huntergirl.  She didn't have as compelling a backstory as Lady K.  And while she was a fine entertainer, her song choices weren't always the best.  Thus Katyrah missed this rule as well.

In the end, Katyrah had too many strikes against her.  She could have found a way to make herself more memorable.  She could have performed better at certain key moments in the competition.  And most important, she could have chosen better songs.  But she did none of the above, and that is why Katyrah lost.