Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Posted)

About Schmidt (2002)

About Schmidt poster.jpg

Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates are iconic but we are officially in the 200s and things are going to get crazy now. The lead character retires from his insurance job in Omaha (I almost took an insurance job in Omaha lol that's where all the companies are headquartered) and he tries to figure out his life and identity outside of work. This is apparently based on a novel by Louis Begley. Critics liked Jack and Kathy, obviously, and it got decent reviews overall. Nominated at the oscars for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress. But got no other nods. The globes gave awards for Jack and for the screenplay. 

Save There will be blood

tumblr_ma5rhwiJCY1r31q91o1_500.gif

It's obvious that this film is far from being the type of movie that I seek out, and therefore, it is is a fairly easy cut out of these nominated films although a case could be made to cut any of those films.  This movie was released in 2001 by Kevin Smith, and if you know Kevin Smith's film, you would know that Jay and Silent Bob are the two of the most known characters from his movie universe - called Akewniverse - as they've been in multiple films from it including Clerks. Anyway, this took place in Askewniverse after the success of Clerks,  and it also features appearanced by Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, and Shannon Elizabeth. The film was a reference to Empire Strikes Back, and it was a minor commercial success, and they have a score in the 50s on Rotten Tomatoes. If you love this type of film, you will love this but for myself, I doubt I'll ever see it and therefore it has been eliminated from this rankdown.

SAVING: MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kinsey

Ever seen a movie where it gets all the accolades, nominations, Oscar's etc..etc.. but you watch it and just don't really understand why? For me that brings us to Kinsey. A film starting Liam Needon which is probably my first issue with Kinsey. Liam is one of the most overrated actors of our time. I don't get the appeal and this movie is no different.  Clearly Derek almost cut it (although I read it wrong ) so I think it makes for the easiest cut of what is left. 90 percent of rotten tomates liked it which is shocking to me. Not my thing I guess. It also stars Peter Sarsgaard and Laura Linney.

Saving Elf

THE SQUID AND THE WHALE (2005)

MV5BMjU0MzBiMDctMmU3NS00NjRkLTkzMzgtZWE3NmExZGI0MmVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

The Squid and the Whale is an independent film starring Laura Linney, Jeff Daniels, Jesse Eisenberg, and Owen Kline. Daniels and Linney play the mother and father who agree to get a divorce. Their relationship seems to have become worse after the husband's lack of career success while the wife's is having more success. They have joint custody of the kids, but the divorce brings more tension when they each begin dating. The separation greatly affects their two sons, and they end up taking sides. Jesse Eisenberg's character idolizes his father, so he blames his mother and tries to act more like his father. It's not until the end of the film when he realizes his father never was truly there for him. The title of the film comes from an exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. He would visit the museum with his mother and would be so frightened by the exhibit that he only only see it through his fingers. However, his mother would talk about it with him, and it didn't become so scary after all. The film ends in an unusual way. The father collapses on the street and must be taken to the hospital. He asks his son to stay by his side, but he instead leaves his father there and runs off to the museum since finally he can properly took at the exhibit without feeling so scared. As for what critics thought of the film, The Squid and the Whale has a 92% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "This is a piercingly honest, acidly witty look at divorce and its impact on a family."

Saving National Treasure.

giphy_1.gif?m=1482169084&itok=ipN5aOkp

• Like 1

Wendy and Lucy (2008)

Wendy and lucy.jpg

When you nominate There Will Be Blood, my eyes glaze over and I worry more about saves than investigating what to cut. In my hurry I left behind a dog movie. The only good thing about this movie is that it is only 80 minutes long. Which makes sense because I read the plot and it is pretty short. Not a lot going on. Michelle Williams is homeless and has a dog. She tries to steal dog food but is arrested, which causes her to lose the dog. Just me explaining the basic premise of the movie already got us through like 60% of the film. I won't spoil exactly how it ends. I will reveal that the dog shockingly DOESN'T die, but the movie is still sad because all dog movies are sad. 

Save Triplets of Belleville

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Next)

WILL ADD IMAGE IN THE AM

We all know of this iconic story by EB White as it was a book from our parents youth that they made sure that we knew it too. In 2006, some production house thought we needed a live action film inspired by the book, after the animated version from the early 1970s. This version featured Dakota Fanning when she was starring in every movie possible - they truly tried to make her into a big name and nowadays her sister is more popular than her. Also featured in the film is Beau Bridges as well as the voices of Julia Roberts as Charlotte, the Spider, as well as Dominic Kay, Oprah Winfrey, John Cleese, Steve Buscemi, Kathy Bates, Reba… They really went all out with the voice over actors but that was not enough to make it a commercial success ; Overall, film was pretty good but still unsure if it was needed but again it wasn’t terrible which should be a positive considering how often these live action remake can be terrible. 

SAVING : DREAMGIRLS