Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

28 WEEKS LATER

28 Weeks Later is the sequel to 28 Days Later. The science fiction-inspired horror films tell the story of a zombie outbreak in London. The sequel stars Robert Carlyle, Rose Byrne, Jeremy Renner, Harold Perrineau, Catherine McCormack, Mackintosh Muggleton, Imogen Poots and Idris Elba. Whereas the first film was more contained in its settings, the sequel depicts the efforts of NATO military forces to salvage a safe zone in London after two young siblings broke the protocols to find their infected mother, and the resulting reintroduction of the Rage Virus to the safe zone. The film received positive reviews from critics, and grossed $64 million against its $15 million budget.

SAVE: Kite Runner

The Darjeeling Limited

The Darjeeling Limited is a American comedy-drama film directed by Wes Anderson released in 2007. He co-produced this with Scott Rudin, Roman Coppola and Lydia Dean Pilcher and co-wrote it with Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman. It stars Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman as three estranged brothers (Peter, Francis, and Jack respectively). They have not seen each other since their father's funeral and they agree to meet in India a year afterwards for a "spiritual journey" aboard a luxury train called the Darjeeling Limited. Francis is on the mend from a motorcycle accident, Peter is unable to cope with his wife's pregnancy, and Jack is unable to get over his ex-lover. The brothers fall into old behavior patterns after Francis reveals that he wants to visit their mother in a Himalayan convent (the real reason for the reunion). This film has a 69% on Rotten Tomatoes and made $35 million at the box office.

Save: Sunshine

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Next)

Fast & Furious (2009)

Fast and Furious Poster.jpg

Do I do half a write-up for the original movie, The Fast and the Furious, before realizing that this was different? Maybe. Am I surprised that any of these are still in the game? A little. So let's recap. The original came out in 2001 and was called The Fast and the Furious. Then 2 Fast 2 Furious in 2003. Then Tokyo Drift in 2006. And then THIS movie, the fourth one, in 2009. The other movies, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are not part of this game. Now let's talk about this movie specifically: It is about fast cars. This is Vin Diesel's first time back after skipping the 2nd and 3rd ones. So the main appeal was getting the gang back together. Beyond that, idk

EDIT: Vin Diesel apparently appeared in an UNCREDITED CAMEO in Tokyo Drift. 

Save Zombieland

Edited by FrogLenzen
  • Sad 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Posted)

300_(film)_Logo.png

movie-action.gif

Released in 2006, 300 is an historical action movie that features Gerald Butler in the lead role along with Rodrigo Santoro, Lena Headey, and David Wenham. Inspired by a comic series of the same name, the movie follows King Leonidas who leads 300 Spartans into the battle against Xerxez and his army.  There's some fighting, there's fantastical creatures, there's a triumph, and there's some more fighting.   The movie was praised for its visual but that was about the only thing as there was plenty of criticisms for their lack of historical accuracy, the depiction of Persians which has been described as bigoted and Iranophobic.  There has been a sequel, and don't ask me how it was because I've never seen it, just like how I've never seen 300 in its entirety. 

SAVING: THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN

I LOVE YOU, MAN (2009)

295d4a9c7671b7993b7f98562d2d57ce--man-movies-comedy-movies.jpg

I avoided nominating or cutting this film after our host expressed his fondness for this movie after I nominated it the first time. Sadly, I'm just going to go ahead and cut this now since I won't have to do much research about it. Sorry, Alex. I Love You, Man is a comedy film starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Paul Rudd's character just got engaged, but he doesn't have many close male friends to share the news. He also doesn't have a choice for best man, so his fiancée (played by Rashida Jones) encourages him to make friends. After a series of mishaps, he finally meets Jason Segel's character. The two hit it off, but then matters are complicated after an $8,000 loan. Nonetheless, the two make amends and Jason Segal's character is there to be Paul Rudd's character's best man at the wedding by the end of the film. As for what the critics thoughts, I Love You, Man has an 83% approval rating. That's higher than I expected. The consensus reads: "I Love You, Man makes the most of its simple premise due to the heartfelt and hilarious performances of Paul Rudd and Jason Segel." This just doesn't seem like my kind of humor, so sorry to the fans.

Saving The House Bunny.

tumblr_mamajh1Xon1rq0hnm.gif

• Sad 1

THE MATADOR

TheMatador2006.jpg

Released in 2005, The Matador is a black comedy crime film starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. Fun fact - its Wikipedia article clearly hasn’t been updated in so long that it references its HD DVD release. The film was written and directed by Richard Shepherd, and Pierce Brosnan was nominated for both a Golden Globe Award and a Saturn Award for his performance. According to Wikipedia, he plays a disillusioned unstable hitman named Julian Noble. I’m seeing it was distributed by The We*stein Company, which I guess makes the earlier HD DVD reference since TWC was a backer of that format.

SAVE: Rat Race

The Dead Rises

Halloween_Kills_Michael_Myers-2-2.jpg

Sometimes in movies you think a character is dead, but then you're shocked to see they've either been alive the whole time or they have risen from the dead. Now is your opportunity to bring one movie back from the dead. It's the buyback round! Everyone is now able to bring back one previously eliminated film. There are absolutely no strings attached to your decision, bring back whichever film you'd like (except a film eliminated in the opening purge of the game). You have 24 hours to make your buyback choice. This film will also be immune for the entirety of the next cycle.

@Steven_ @*Chris @FrogLenzen @*Diana @Elliott @~Tom~

Edited by Alex95

Tom reached out to me a few weeks ago about bringing a film into the game that wasn't originally in the game instead of using a buyback. I told him I'll allow it only if it's okay with all the rankers. I figured since he wasn't around at the start of the game to make any additions it would be fair. If anyone objects to this let me know, or like this post if you're okay with it!

• Like 2

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Buyback)