Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

2514-1593939709.png

FondJauntyGodwit-size_restricted.gif

First of all, I’d like to thank TSwift for releasing new music at midnight meaning that I made sure that I was awake for the release therefore I am still (barely) awake for Derek’s nominations.  Out of the nominated films, I am once again limited with what to cut so I am cutting The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which I haven’t really heard of prior to this rankdown and therefore I am not attached to.  This anime was released in 2006 and it is somewhat the sequel to a novel of the same name ; The main character is a teenager who has the power of travelling through time - okay, the plot does sound familiar so I might have heard of it before or have seen a movie similar to it?  With her power of travelling through time, she finds a way to fix problems and other stuff. This film was a success for the studio, and we even seen a live action of the same name with it telling a different story.

SAVING: LES INVASIONS BARBARES

Edited by *Chris
  • Sad 1

Rachel Getting Married

Apologies to the fans of this film for this cut, but I love almost the entire nomination set and this was the only one of the available options that I have not seen yet. Starring Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married focuses on Kym, who is permitted to leave rehab to attend her sister Rachel’s wedding to musician Sidney. As Rachel’s wedding day draws nearer, Kim’s behavior causes tensions for the bride and groom to be and the family. This has a respectable 84% on RT and it sounds like it would be an interesting watch, but it is the only one left that I’m not familiar with so my hands were tied.

Save: Monster 

• Sad 3

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004 dir. by Alfonso Cuarón)

giphy.webp

Easily the best HP film. Is it because of Cuarón? I definitely think so. But I also think Prisoner of Azkaban is one of if not the best novel as well. But the change in tone and direction in this entry is a marked shift in the trajectory of the film series and likely the right pivot to make at the right time. I also think the high highs of PoA are more easily appreciated when you consider it is coming off the heels of what might be the one of the worst entries in the series (both considering the novel and the film). PoA really focuses on developing the characters of our leads and I think this film captures that jump in maturity really well, with the performances from our leads being really notable in this entry. I don't think I care for how prominent they make Ron and Hermione in this film, when the novel is not that romance-heavy at this point. There are also some more interesting backstories cut in this film, like Sirius and his escape, or the details on the Marauders. I also think they gloss over Lupin's association with the Map. But I will say the changes from the novel in this film entry do not derail the film at all. I always found it weird how this film ended up the least commercially successful of the bunch while being the most critically successful. Anyways. The darker tone, the more emotional story, the development and maturation of our characters are well-explored and portrayed, and Cuarón's direction really elevate PoA. But I feel like this is a fair ranking overall. I also do not remember this entry getting two Academy Award noms!

SAVING: A Tale of Two Sisters

• Sad 1

Foreshadowing the Scabbers reveal? genius. Minimizing stupid Crookshanks? thank god.

Ignoring who created the map and why the patronus is a deer? baffling. This could have been fixed with three extra lines of dialogue in Harry's final scene with Lupin. 

The art direction for the dementors and the werewolf? go home, you're drunk

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)
15 hours ago, Deeee said:

But I also think Prisoner of Azkaban is one of if not the best novel as well.

it is.

the definitive ranking:

1. Azkaban

2. Goblet of Fire (the jock harry potter)

3. Philosopher's stone

and then it gets hard

4.5.6. any of Order of the Phoenix, Half Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows depending on how I feel

7. Chamber of Secrets

15 hours ago, *Chris said:

2514-1593939709.png

FondJauntyGodwit-size_restricted.gif

First of all, I’d like to thank TSwift for releasing new music at midnight meaning that I made sure that I was awake for the release therefore I am still (barely) awake for Derek’s nominations.  Out of the nominated films, I am once again limited with what to cut so I am cutting The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which I haven’t really heard of prior to this rankdown and therefore I am not attached to.  This anime was released in 2006 and it is somewhat the sequel to a novel of the same name ; The main character is a teenager who has the power of travelling through time - okay, the plot does sound familiar so I might have heard of it before or have seen a movie similar to it?  With her power of travelling through time, she finds a way to fix problems and other stuff. This film was a success for the studio, and we even seen a live action of the same name with it telling a different story.

SAVING: LES INVASIONS BARBARES

my friend and i have quite a contentious ranking over our Hosoda films ranking (i tend to like him much more than she does) but we both agree this is one of the best ones.

The Constant Gardener

Hi

Welcome to my Ted talk 

Rachel Weisz is an incredibly underrated actres. Thank you for listening. She won a Oscar for this film I believe so it sucks so much to cut her movie but alas. 

Now on to The Constant Gardener like I said Rachel is amazing in this movie and that is what I remember about the film winning herself the Oscar win for Best Supporting Actress. As she deserved. 

It has a good 83 percent on rotten tomates and is a high success. This is a great spot for this movie. You should watch it if you haven't before. 

Saving Monsters, Inc.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

SERENITY (2005)

ckDo5vnRKehJ2qu8U95c7QcvGUm.jpg

I never watched Firefly, but I'm aware of its cult status and how disappointed fans were when the show was cancelled after one season. Due to popular demand, Serenity is the follow-up film that continues two months after the last episode. Serenity is described as a space Western film, and it's created by Joss Whedon. Set in the 26th century, the story centers on a group of rebels aboard their spaceship called Serenity. It's a cargo and transport spacecraft, and the captain and first mate fought together on the losing side of the Unification War. This was a war between the Allied Planets and the Independent Planets from 2506 to 2511. Anyway, the lives of the crew members aboard Serenity are interrupted after they rescue siblings from Alliance forces. However, the sister has psychic abilities with a dangerous secret. Anyway, sci-fi films set in space rarely interest me. I doubt I'll ever be interested to watch this film or any Firefly episodes, but I trust the fans that think highly of this universe since they seem to be so passionate about it. As for what critics thought of this film, Serenity has an 82% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Snappy dialogue and goofy characters make this Wild Wild West soap opera in space fun and adventurous."

Saving Cloverfield.

BlaringImperfectJoey-size_restricted.gif

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)

NOMINATIONS

Almost Famous (2000)

American Psycho (2000)

Bring It On (2000)

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003)

Memories of Murder (2003)

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Walk the Line (2005)

The Host (2006)

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire (2009)

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire (2009)

Precious2009poster.jpg

Fun fact, I had to read Push for a college class before this movie came out. This movie put Gabourey Sidibe on the map and got her a nomination for Best Actress. I've enjoyed her also in AHS but I don't think I've seen her in anything else. Mo'Nique is the one who actually won her Oscar for this movie, and I thought it was deserved. She was definitely the most memorable and best part of the film. Mariah Carey I feel was also kind of hoping for some acting awards for this, in a smaller role but very unlike what you'd expect from Mariah. She got some nominations for various award shows and festivals. Definitely a step up from Glitter and I actually was mildly impressed by her role in this as well. The movie itself was good, but one of those downer movies that you're not rushing to rewatch lol. I have only seen it once, not twice. I think it deserved Top 100 but it's not a film that I'd heartbroken over missing the Top 50 when there's so much else to choose from.

Save Kill Bill

American Psycho

American_Psycho.png

I've tried to avoid cutting the horror films in this rankdown, but in the first horror rankdown, I cut plenty of films for not being all that scary, and I have to hold by the same principle here. Based on the 1991 novel by Bret Easton Ellis, American Psycho stars Christian Bale, whose work I tend to enjoy, as Patrick Bateman, a New York City investment banker who leads a double life as a serial killer. Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto, Chloë Sevigny, Justin Theroux, and Reese Witherspoon appear in supporting roles to name a few. The film blends horror and black comedy to satirize the 1980s yuppie lifestyle, exemplified by Bateman. Patrick spends most of his time dining at popular restaurants while keeping up appearances for his fiancée (played by Reese Witherspoon) and his circle of wealthy associates, most of whom he hates, and a serial killer by night. As I hinted earlier, I can respect a lot of horror comedies but they are usually not my top favorites and this is no different. There are other horror films I prefer to last longer in this and it has one of the lower RT scores left in this, so out it goes.

Save: Almost Famous

• Sad 1