Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

On 3/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Elliott said:

:dead:

Honestly I can get it. The one time I drove from Manhattan to Red Bank, NJ to visit the Quick Stop after a David Cook concert, I felt like I was driving for five days. :dead:

as a wlw, if you are within a 15 hour drive that's no problem. you aren't even long distance.

• Haha 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Battle Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Battle Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Battle Posted)

Top 10 of 2006

AshamedRegularJay-size_restricted.gif

Blood Diamond

Directed by Edward Zwick

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou, Jennifer Connelly, Kagiso Kuypers, Arnold Vosloo

Drama / Thriller / Action

United States

63% RT / 64 MC / 3.6 LB

Streaming on Tubi

bbe4f05e75653dc5f5f15d5b81d1eb46fd6f9a10.gif

Children of Men

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón

Starring Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Clare-Hope Ashitey, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor

Action / Thriller / Science Fiction / Drama

United Kingdom / United States

92% RT / 84 MC / 4.2 LB

giphy.gif?ssl=1

The Departed

Directed by Martin Scorsese

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Vera Farmiga

Thriller / Drama / Crime

United States

91% RT / 85 MC / 4.2 LB

Streaming on Hulu and HBO Max

tumblr_otoewxvc4S1tvso1qo1_500.gif

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Directed by Mamoru Hosoda

Starring Riisa Naka, Takuya Ishida, Mitsutaka Itakura, Sachie Hara

Animation / Science Fiction / Drama / Fantasy

Japan

84% RT / 66 MC / 3.8 LB

8c66d8da8fd13d66af78cb7301183cea1bd4996b

The Host

Directed by Bong Joon-ho

Starring Song Kang-ho, Byun Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Doona, Go Ah-sung

Science Fiction / Horror / Drama

South Korea

93% RT / 85 MC / 3.7 LB

Streaming on Peacock, Roku, Hoopla, Vudu, Kanopy, Crackle, Mubi, Pluto TV

tumblr_mu5hqtfwlV1ry1lqao1_500.gif

The Last King of Scotland

Directed by Kevin Macdonald

Starring Forest Whitaker, James McAvoy, Kerry Washington, Simon McBurney, Gillian Anderson

Drama

87% RT / 74 MC / 3.6 LB

Streaming on Starz

e39edb3cbdc9b71d21361a8c91a6cef4ad719df4.gif

Pan's Labyrinth

Directed by Guillermo del Toro

Starring Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López, Doug Jones, Ariadna Gil

War / Drama / Fantasy

Mexico / Spain

95% RT / 98 MC / 4.1 LB

OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAkhOtj_Z3dPNhbcTekAQ

Paprika

Directed by Satoshi Kon

Starring Megumi Hayashibara, Tōru Furuya, Katsunosuke Hori, Tōru Emori, Akio Ōtsuka

Thriller / Mystery / Animation / Science Fiction

Japan

85% RT / 81 MC / 4.0 LB

92f21eaff182a0c6d3ffca4c734600c23514c7f3.gif

The Prestige

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall

Drama / Mystery / Science Fiction

76% RT / 66 MC / 4.1 LB

Streaming on Hulu

b0f4c83c10647d624755a16941a47cf83748599f.gif

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

Directed by Ken Loach

Starring Cillian Murphy, Pádraic Delaney, Liam Cunningham, Orla Fitzgerald

War / Drama

Ireland / United Kingdom

90% RT / 82 MC / 3.8 LB

Streaming on AMC+

• Like 1

Volver

Volver_Poster.jpg

Volver (Spanish for "to return") is a Spanish drama film written and directed by Pedro Almodóvar and released in 2006. Starring the beautiful Penelope Cruz as Raimunda, she is determined to protect her daughter Paula when her father Paco rapes her and she kills her in self-defense. Other characters involve Raimuda's sister Sole (played by Lola Duenas), their elederly Aunt Paula and Aunt Paula's neighbor Agustina who has been diagnosed with cancer. They begin seeing Raimuda and Sole's mother's ghost, who has come back to tie up loose ends such as Paco's true identity and the fire that killed both of their parents. While Penelope Cruz is the highlight of the film, there is good character interaction and it has a 91% rating on RT, I felt like I was watching a soap opera most of the time and therefore I'm not super passionate about the film and am ok with it missing the top 100. 

The Lives of Others

Leben_der_anderen.jpg

The Lives of Others is German spy film written and directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck released in 2006. The film surveys the monitoring of East Berlin residents by agents of the Stasi, East Germany's secret police. Loyal Stasi officer Gerd Wiesler (played by Ulrich Mühe) doubts that famous playwright Georg Dreyman (played by Sebastian Koch) is loyal to the Communist Party, so he begins to spy on him and his lover, actress Christa-Maria (played by Martina Gedeck). Wiesler becomes unexpectedly sympathetic to the couple, then faces a difficult choice when his superior takes a liking to Christa-Maria and orders Wiesler to get rid of Dreyman. It won numerous awards including an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film. I have seen my fair share of spy movies (despite not being a Bond fan), but I only watched this one recently and while I loved the opening and thought it was going to be amazing, the rest didn't capture my attention as much so I am fine with it leaving now.