Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Duel Next)

Wet Hot American Summer

Wet_hot_american_summer.jpg

People might have been surprised at this duel, but were people expecting me to like a sex comedy? I hope not. I watched the "best of" bits and other clips like the camp talent show, but I didn't laugh once. Desn't seem to have much a plot, just a bunch of spontanteity. Wet Hot American Summer is a 2001 American teen comedy directed by David Wain, who wrote the screenplay along with Michael Showalter. The film features a cast including Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Molly Shannon, Paul Rudd, Christopher Meloni, Bradley Cooper (in his film debut), and Amy Poehler among others. Taking place during the last day at a fictional summer camp in 1981, it spoofs the sex comedies aimed at teen audiences of that era. It is also a spoof of other summer camp films of the era, including Meatballs (1979), Little Darlings (1980), Sleepaway Camp (1983), and Indian Summer (1993). The film was a critical and commercial failure (as it deserved), but has since developed a cult following due to many of its cast members have gone on to high-profile work. Netflix revived the franchise with a prequel and sequel series but I have no interest in watching either. 

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Wet Hot American Summer is not a sex comedy

Meh. Maybe a teen comedy would’ve been a better characterization since the only serious scene is a gay sex scene but that couldn’t save it for me and I don’t care for teen comedies either. :kissbye:

KNOCKED UP (2007)

MV5BN2MwZTVlZGYtMjIxOS00YmYzLTg0Y2ItNDc5OWY1ZDZlMWVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_.jpg

Knocked Up is a comedy film by Judd Apatow. The film stars Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen. Heigl plays a rising journalist who has a one-night stand with a slacker played by Rogen. She ends up getting pregnant, and she chooses to give Rogen's character a chance to be prove he is father material. I actually saw this movie before. Someone rented it, and I had to sit through the whole thing. I just don't care for this type of humor. I don't find crass, stoner characters to be funny, and the jokes this film relies on are not clever. Seth Rogen's character and his buddies are all unlikable, immature, and dumb. I tend to avoid any films with Seth Rogen since his brand of humor doesn't appeal to me at all. Heigl has also been outspoken for the film's sexist portrayal of women. Her opinion was fair, but Apatow and Rogen felt like she owed them an apology. Anyway,  maybe some people can enjoy dumb R-rated comedy films, but these types of films are not for me. I don't hate all R-rated comedies, but I just don't like these raunchy types of comedy films. As for what the critics thought, Knocked Up has a 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Knocked Up is a hilarious, poignant and refreshing look at the rigors of courtship and child-rearing, with a sometimes raunchy, yet savvy script that is ably acted and directed." I completely disagree with Rotten Tomatoes here. That 89% rating is way too high.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

I frequently say “It’s always nice to get away, even if it’s only for a half hour” to people and hope they get the reference.

Me and my friend who also love the movie say "HEY NEIL WHAT'S UP!" whenever we see each other. I think of this scene at least once a week

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Duel Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Duel Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Duel Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Duel Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Duel Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Duel Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Duel Posted)

The Emperor's New Groove

I sort of felt bad for cutting a movie with underrated gem John Goodman in it but then I remembered David Spade is also in The Emperor's New Groove so then I did not feel badly anymore. I actually figured the duel would go the other way but the The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers will not die so it is goodbye to a movie I already made my feelings know about in the disney rankdown which is The Emperor's New Groove. Everything I said there stands true today, I don't believe it is good as this site makes it out to be but that is my unpopular opinion of the day. I am not sorry for my duel is I was actually nice with my first one and it went down hill from there so I knew I was going to take the chance either way to cut a movie, everyone else seems to love and I do not.

• Confused 2

SUPER TROOPERS (2001)

MV5BYzAyOTZjZDItZjNiYy00YTA3LWEyYWMtZTA0NmUzYjZhNjg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

I've never heard of this film Super Troopers before, but I nominated it after seeing it has a 35% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's really low, and that seems more than a fair enough reason for it to leave the rankdown now. Plus, I just watched the trailer on YouTube, and this looks like one of the stupidest movies ever made. This kind of humor does not appeal to me at all; I won't ever be interested in watching this film. As for the plot, the film focuses on five Vermont State Troopers and the antics they get into. They also have a rivalry with the local police. According to Wikipedia, this film stars the five members of a the Broken Lizard comedy group. As for the critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes, the site says: "A more miss-than-hit affair, Super Troopers will most likely appeal to those looking for something silly."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1