Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

41 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

This is a lot better than the past few years lol

But also y’all having the opportunity to have one of the best songs of the decade in the top 20 and just saying no thanks ❤️ was certainly a Choice.

32 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I’m the one who advanced it initially, but it was clear it didn’t have the votes. :(

Aww I feel sad I couldn't support "Redbone" as I do really like that song. :( But I just happened to have loved or really liked all the songs in the voting round so it was a tough vote. 😭

19 hours ago, rdhaley96 said:

I may need a slight extension if that’s okay. I’ll still try to get as much as I can done tomorrow regardless.

16 hours ago, Alex95 said:

x2 :ph34rwave:

53 minutes ago, *Chris said:

May need to get a slight extension. 

You can have an extra day. Results to be posted Monday morning. 

Tagging @*Diana and @*Lily to let them know too.

• Thanks 1

20. LOVE GALORE – SZA FEAT. TRAVIS SCOTT

2f9c7376080d8a38de104d6665c1ee29.800x800x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

LILY: 2

NICO: 7

ALEX: 8

DEREK: 9

CHRIS: 11

AKSHAR: 16

STEVEN: 16

GIGI: 18

RICHARD: 18

VICTORIA: 18

DIANA: 19

QK: 19

COREY: 20

WALLACE: 20

ANDY

I think I'm going to flop so hard this year, especially with my top 2. In honor of new SZA coming out this week, I'll give Love Galore my #1 spot. Such a moody, catchy, sexy song. Loved it the moment I first heard it and adore it just as much now.

ALEX

I hope everyone’s listened to SZA’s new album on repeat ten times.

STEVEN

The song has a cool vibe to it, but I can't say it's something I'd want to listen to again.

RICHARD

Man, I really wanted to rank this higher. I hadn’t heard this one before, but I kind of dug it at first. The background instrumentation is really cool, and SZA’s voice gels really well with it. Just a really mellow and interesting listen. And then Travis's part happened, which knocked the song down about ten pegs for me. Just... urgh.

COREY

Sza doesn't know how to sing, and her chaotic rising and falling in pitch does everything it can to distort whatever melody is trying to shine through in the background.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611951bd3f3f40e4d33e32022c4757a19c39aa27b84&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I don't know how but I think I missed out on "Love Galore" when it was out? Or maybe I did hear it a few times when it was out, but I forgot about it? Actually, from watching the video, I feel I have definitely seen/heard this before a few times in 2017. This is a cool, sensual and sexy song. I do like SZA's voice and like some sections of the chorus the most? Or actually, it's the part where she sings:

Why you bother me when you know you don't want me? {Yeah}
Why you bother me when you know you got a woman? {Yeah}
Why you hit me when you know you know better? {True}

I also like Travis Scott's verse on the song. The video is quite steamy with SZA and Travis Scott. Overall, this is a cool and enjoyable song but it's the one I'm least familiar with and I like the others more so sadly I ranked it last. I do like SZA's and Travis Scott's 2018 releases more so best of luck to those songs next year.

19. WHAT IFS – KANE BROWN FEAT. LAUREN ALAINA

2c1f201a53544ce2fc385ab755be48d4.630x630x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 1

RICHARD: 4

DIANA: 7

CHRIS: 8

COREY: 8

GIGI: 9

STEVEN: 10

AKSHAR: 15

VICTORIA: 15

ANDY: 16

DEREK: 17

NICO: 18

LILY: 19

WALLACE: 19

ALEX: 20

RICHARD

I don’t expect this song to survive the first set by nature of it being country, but for me, this track is pretty great. I really like how it captures the conflicting feelings of being in a relationship, where you’re prone to overthinking things and should really just try to live in the moment. Lyrics aside, Kane and Lauren’s voices complement each other so well here and power through really nicely on the track. All in all, a really solid song.

COREY

The chorus is great, which makes up for Kane's awful vocals. It might be even higher if Lauren were to do a solo version.

STEVEN

This song doesn't make sense as a duet based on the lyrics. I think it originally wasn't supposed to be a duet when it was written, but they decided to add Lauren afterwards. Couldn't they have tweaked the lyrics a bit to make it make more sense? Oh well, regardless it's still an enjoyable track. The chorus is especially a standout, and Kane and Lauren sound good together.

WALLACE

Kane-Lauren.jpg

I did not expect or really think of "What Ifs" making it to the Top 20 here but well done to Kane Brown and Lauren Alaina making an appearance on here. Kane Brown is someone I've come to appreciate over the years - though I moreso like him as a person more than most of his music. This is a really nice collaboration from Kane and Lauren. Kane has a good deep voice, that I admit wasn't too fond of earlier on his career, but I've gotten used to it with more of his music I've heard. But yeah, I like the contrast of his lower voice and Lauren's higher voice on the song. They have such different voices, but it blends nicely here. I especially like how they sing the chorus. 

What if I was made for you and you were made for me
What if this is it, what if it's meant to be
What if I ain't one of them fools just playin' some game
What if I just pulled you close, what if I leaned in
And the stars line up and it's our last first kiss
What if one of these days baby I'd go and change your name
What if I loved all these what ifs away

Kane sounds good there but Lauren does kinda overpower him there.  I especially like the part where they sing "it's our last first kiss" part together. That part is so good! 

I do wish Lauren had an actual solo verse on this song as it seems Kane has all of the verses. I get that it's his song but Lauren having a solo would have helped me like this more. But I still like and think this is a good song from them. Sadly, it's just one of my lesser favorites of this group of songs.

18. HUMBLE. – KENDRICK LAMAR

483306c535608c27f9e3781b854dc91d.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 1

ALEX: 2

LILY: 3

DEREK: 5

ANDY: 6

VICTORIA: 8

COREY: 12

WALLACE: 14

DIANA: 16

AKSHAR: 18

QK: 18

STEVEN: 19

CHRIS: 20

GIGI: 20

RICHARD: 20

ALEX

Kendrick is the GOAT. Thank God this advanced. Can’t wait to see how quickly it gets robbed.

ANDY

Weirdly one of my least favorite songs off DAMN but that is my favorite Kendrick album overall so I still love this song. Glad it made the cut (though not at the expense of Adele)

COREY

A great chanting song, but not much in the melody department.

WALLACE

kendrick-lamar-sit-down.gif

"HUMBLE." is a really great song from Kendrick Lamar. I'm glad that "HUMBLE." was Kendrick's song to make it to the Top 20 this year as this was my favorite of his 2017 single releases.I love Kendrick's rap flow on this song as he raps in such a cool, smooth and fast way. I also really love the beat/music production on this as well. It's all so hard hitting! :bobo: It's kinda hard to pick out my favorite parts but I do like the parts where he raps:

Aye, I remember syrup sandwiches and crime allowances 

Parmesan where my accountant lives in fact I'm downing this 

Pull up on your block, then break it down we playing Tetris
A.M. to the P.M., P.M. to the A.M. funk 

If I quit your BM I still ride Mercedes, funk
If I quit this season I still be the greatest, funk
My left stroke just went viral
Right stroke put lil baby in a spiral

That "My left stroke just went viral" line always stands out to me as a really big part of the song. It's a fun part to sing/rap along to, I must admit. :haha: But then the chorus is quite catchy and a lot of fun as well - there's not too much to it but it's catchy!

sit down,
be humble
sit down,
be humble
sit down,
be humble

Sit down, be humble! :bobo: Some lines I like from his second verse includes:

Get the off my stage, I'm the sandman (sandman)
I make a play up your whole life
I'm so sick and tired of the Photoshop
Show me something natural like afro on Richard Pryor
Show me something natural like  with some stretch marks 

This ish way too crazy, aye
You do not amaze me, aye
I blew cool from AC, aye
Obama just paged me, aye
I don't fabricate it, aye
Most of ya'll be faking, aye
I stay modest bout it, aye
She elaborate it, aye
This that Grey Poupon, that Evian, that Ted Talk, aye

:bobo: 

"HUMBLE." is such a jam and Kendrick kills it on this song, which is to be expected from him. :bobo: I feel bad I couldn't rank this higher than 14th and thought I would have ranked it higher but then I ended up loving more songs here than I realized. I feel like this song will have some polarizing rankings, which I think will be enough to keep it from last. I see a mix of really high and really low rankings and some in between. It's tough to call where this will land but I'm curious to find out.

STEVEN

I didn't want to just throw the rap song at the bottom of my ranking just because I don't listen to rap, but...I really didn't enjoy this. I gave this song a chance, but I couldn't get past some of those lyrics.

RICHARD

I’m generally not a rap fan, especially when it crosses over into degrading, misogynistic territory like this does. This wasn’t going to rank anywhere except last for me.

17. SLIDE – CALVIN HARRIS FEAT. FRANK OCEAN AND MIGOS

b3e7ba29e0853e87a6a886b49df2d47b.800x800x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

ANDY: 2

NICO: 4

ALEX: 7

COREY: 7

DEREK: 10

DIANA: 11

QK: 12

VICTORIA: 14

RICHARD: 16

GIGI: 17

WALLACE: 17

STEVEN: 18

CHRIS: 19

AKSHAR: 20

ANDY

Thanks Vicky for the help. ❤️ Frank Ocean is one of my favorite artists ever and I really like the collab with Calvin Harris here. It's genuinely a great song. Definitely see this ranking last or at least in the first set though.

COREY

Despite being understated, this a well-crafted song. I don't remember it from 2017, and I didn't consider it until it was already voted into the Top 20, but it's a danceable tune, and the vocals have a comforting effect.

RICHARD

This is background music. There’s not really much about it that’s horrible, but there’s also not anything about it that really draws me in.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115fb8e4e03fe6ad6ee8513f3718fc883ee580d6fd&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 era was such an interesting era from Calvin Harris as he stepped away from EDM and went into a more funkier genre of music with his production and collaborations, and I thought that was pretty cool. "Slide" is kind of an unexpected song to make it to the finals but I don't mind it. It's funny, I did really like "Slide" back in 2017 but I kinda forgot about it and haven't really listened to it much outside of that year. OMGG I forgot about that opening voice at the start of the song. :dead: It's kinda annoying sounding but it's so funny to me too. :lmao: But outside of that, I do really like this. I love the funky and fresh vibe of this song. The beat is so cool. Frank Ocean's voice is so cool. I like the parts where he sings:

Do you slide on all your nights like this?
Do you try on all your nights like this? 

It went too fast, we couldn't reach it with our arms
Wrist on a wrist, a link of charms,
Yeah
Laying, we're still a link apart

I like how the song smoothly transitions from Frank Ocean to Migos and I really enjoy Migos' part of the song. I see that only Quavo and Offset rap on this (according to my lyrics source?). Though I also want to say RIP to Takeoff, who passed recently. :( :broken: Quavo's verse is first and I really like the parts where he raps.

We gon' pipe up and turn up, pipe up
We gon' light up and burn up, burn up
Mama too hot like a, like what?
Mama too hot like a furnace, furnace
I got a hundred Gs in my Goyard, Gs

But then ohh.... Offset kinda kills it on his verse and I really like his part a lot as well where he raps: 

Good gracious
Starin' at my diamonds while I'm hoppin' out the spaceship
Need your information, take vacation to Malaysia (info)
You my baby,
The paparazzi flashin' crazy (Flash) 

She havin' it
Went to college, workin' on her bachelor (College)
I know you got a past, I got a past, that's in the back of us
Average, I'mma make a million on the average (Ms)

I love how he raps so fast in his part! :bobo: Frank ocean closes the song out well with the rest of the chorus. And then that high pitched voice comes in and closes the song out. :giggle: "Slide" is a cool and fun jam. I do enjoy it and wish I could put it higher but sadly this is as high as I can put it as I like the other songs above it more.

STEVEN

The song is kind of catchy, but I can't get past that high-pitched voice that pops up throughout the song. What is that? It kind of ruins the song for me, even though I do find some parts of this song kind of cool. Maybe the song could grow on me, but it ranks near the bottom for me for now.

Edited by Steven_