Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

20. I NEED TO KNOW - MARC ANTHONY

ab67616d0000b273c09a862fbe0575f1aee2546f

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 2
REI: 7

ALEX: 9

VICTORIA: 12

WALLACE: 13

GIGI: 14

NICO: 14 

PRISCILLA: 14

CHRIS: 15

DEREK: 16

ELLIOTT: 16 

LILY: 17

AKSHAR: 18

CRISIS: 18

B-B: 19

DIANA: 19

STEVEN

This is one of my favorite Marc Anthony songs, so I'm glad it managed to make it to the Top 20 here. "I Need to Know" is super catchy and always makes for an enjoyable listen. The instrumentation and Marc's delivery is all top-notch, and it's a song that never gets old with repeated listens. 

WALLACE

UYDq.gif

I love "I Need to Know" and have always considered this my favorite Marc Anthony song! This is again another one of those songs I love but wasn't going to push or target/cut, but I am pleased with it being in the finals. This song was a big part of the Latin Domination that took over the U.S. mainstream pop charts in 1999 and 2000. I love the Latin feel/flavor of this song and Marc sounds really great on this song. Love the music and his voice on this. The opening verse is really cool. But I do love the chorus he sings a lot too:

If it's true don't leave me all alone out here
Wondering if you're ever gonna take me there
Tell me what you're feeling 'cause I need to know
Girl you've gotta let me know which way to go 

'Cause I need to know, I need to know
Tell me baby girl 'cause I need to know
I need to know, I need to know
Tell me baby girl 'cause I need to know

Such a fun, addicting and catchy chorus and song here! :bobo: I do reallly enjoy the second verse he sings and he sounds good there too. A lot of the rest of the song is him singing the rest of the chorus and changing the order of it around, so maybe it can get a bit repetitive. But I don't really mind. It's all so fun, catchy and addicting to listen to. :bobo: 

CHRIS

This is a good song but sadly, it's not one that I think of it when I think of 2000s and it really doesn't measure up to the rest of the songs in the Top 20 for me.

CRISIS

A song that can get people on the dance floor, but it doesn't measure up to the others here.

19. ABSOLUTELY (STORY OF A GIRL) - NINE DAYS

yzYAXpl.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 4

DIANA: 5

WALLACE: 7

NICO: 11

CRISIS: 12

ELLIOTT: 12

GIGI: 13

ALEX: 14 

STEVEN: 14

AKSHAR: 15

B-B: 16 

CHRIS: 16

PRISCILLA: 16

VICTORIA: 16

LILY: 19

REI: 20

WALLACE

VAwA.gif

I really love "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Nine Days and am super happy that this made it through to the finals. I honestly was not even expecting to be the one to advance this song forward into the final voting round. I was kinda hoping someone else would as I had plenty of other ideas that I was stuck on. But I kept going back to this song, getting back all of these fond and great memories of this song helping me realize the love I had for this song. Although I always knew that anyway. I did want to help this song out knowing that it had other fans, but this would also be Nine Days only chance of making the finals here, as this is their only and biggest hit, so they are kinda known as a one-hit wonder. But I got love for the one hit wonders here! This was also one of my top favorite alternative songs of 2000 as well, alongside Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want," which was sad to see getting cut. But I am glad I advanced this through and that it made it through to the finals. But don't bring up "Maria, Maria" or "Big Pimpin'" to me because it'll make me sad I left those songs out. :broken: 

I really love "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" and find this song insanely catchy! Right from the start from that insanely catchy chorus, I already love it:

This is the story of a girl
Who cried a river and drowned the whole world
And while she looked so sad in photographs
I absolutely love her
When she smiles

I also love the music here and how the band just rocks out and jams out here. :bobo: I do love a lot of parts to this song. From the opening verse and the pre-chorus, I love the part that goes:

As long as she stands there waiting
Wearing the holes in the soles of her shoes
Now how many days disappear
When you look in the mirror
So how do you choose 

Your clothes never wear as well the next day
And your hair never falls in quite the same way
You never seem to run out of things to say

So fun and catchy! :bobo: I do love how they switch up some of the lyrics (but keep some the same) on the second verse on another part I love that goes:

As long as we stand here waiting
Wearing the clothes or the soles that we choose
Now how do we get there today
When we're walking too far for the price of our shoes

I do love how they bring a more edgy harder sound to the pre-chorus at the bridge section of the song with the clothes never wear well the next day part. It has a fun sound there. Some other little parts I love at the end of the song are where they do the chorus again that goes: this is the story of a..... girl. It has that little break before girl, which I thought was cool. :haha: 

The music video is also a lot of fun here too. The band having fun jamming out but omg at the fire going out, the sprinkler going off and everyone dancing with all the water going on. Craziness going on! :dead: But yes, I absolutely (pun intended) love this song from Nine Days. I'm not sure where and how it will rank amongst this stacked group of songs, but I am glad to see that many rankers like this enough to not vote against this and send this in the Top 20!

CRISIS

A song you can't help but groove to. It's one of those songs you find yourself nodding to for no reason.

ALEX

While I'm #TeamRock in general I'm not gonna rank every lame generic ass rock song high lmao.

STEVEN

I believe I heard this song more in the background of TV shows and movies than I did on its own. It's not a song I seek out to listen to, but I admit it's a catchy song that gets stuck in your head.

CHRIS

This a decent song but unfortunately for me, it's not as good as the other songs above it.

18. OTHERSIDE - RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

51TcsJLhf+L.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

REI: 1

CRISIS: 2

B-B: 5

NICO: 5

ELLIOTT: 7 

STEVEN: 16

CHRIS: 17

DIANA: 17

PRISCILLA: 17

WALLACE: 19

AKSHAR: 20

DEREK: 20

GIGI: 20 

LILY: 20

VICTORIA: 20

CRISIS

One of the deepest RHCP songs. Although drug addiction is a topic they sing about a lot, this is one of their better songs about it. It's my second favorite song from Californication. Also, the video was really creative and brought out a darker side of the song.

STEVEN

I don't remember this song, so I feel like I was hearing this one for the first time now. It's pretty good. I think I would like more of a buildup, but it's fine the way it is as it suits the tone of the lyrics.

CHRIS

This a decent song but unfortunately for me, it's not as good as the other songs above it.

WALLACE

10e69b1be35a6419c66eab0ec47a6b53.gif

My Bottom 2 songs were easy to figure out as they are the only songs I don't love of this Top 20, although I do still like them. But figuring out which one I like less is tricky. Yes my comments for my #20 and #19 start off the same there. :haha: With "Otherside," this was the song I liked and was more familiar with during 2000, but I haven't really heard it as much as the other song over the upcoming 22 years. :haha: I guess right now.... I am preferring this song, so this gets my #19. "Otherside" is a song I do really enjoy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It's probably amongst my Top 5 favorite songs of theirs, but not totally sure. I do like the lowkey vibe/feel of the song and Anthony's voice is really cool on this track. Some of my favorite parts are where he sings:

I gotta take it on the otherside 

Take it on the otherside
Take it on, take it on 

How long, how long will I slide?
A-separate my side
I don't, I don't believe it's bad

I like he how he drags out some of his notes there too. This song does have such an intriguing and cool sound to it. I also kinda love the part where the song really picks up with the music and going into the bridge section with the part that goes: Turn me on, take me for a hard ride. Burn me out, leave me on the otherside. LMAO I had no idea what he was singing there until looking at the lyrics. :dead: 

The music video is interesting and also kinda trippy. It's fun to watch. :haha: After re-listening to this song, I've remember and gained a new appreciation for it as I hadn't listened to it for so long. But I can't place it any higher than 19th as I just like the other 18 songs more.

17. I HOPE YOU DANCE - LEE ANN WOMACK WITH SONGS OF THE DESERT

OIP.l8xh2I1umWIIwv4s8wauDAHaGX?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 2
DIANA: 2

AKSHAR: 3

CRISIS: 6

VICTORIA: 9

NICO: 13

B-B: 14

GIGI: 15 

PRISCILLA: 15

STEVEN: 15

DEREK: 18

LILY: 18

REI: 18

ALEX: 19

ELLIOTT: 19

WALLACE: 20

CHRIS

Similar to the two other songs in my Top 3, I am giving it a high ranking to ensure it gets a good ranking in the end. But it certainly helps that this song is one of my favourite country song from the year & one that I continue to listen to.  Anyway, glad that Akshar and myself were able to move on this song despite losing some other songs along the way ❤️.

CRISIS

This is a really beautiful song. The message and sincerity are the main highlights. With that said, I can't think of this song without thinking of Nuts Of Wonder and the S15 Lauren Alaina and MacKenzie Bourg duet with Lauren awkwardly hitting on MacKenzie during the rehearsals and post-performance. :haha:

STEVEN

I appreciate the sentiment of the song, but this is not a song I ever seek out to listen to. 

ALEX

Having war flashbacks to Lauren Alaina's prom performance which is giving me war flashbacks to that sweet 16 I talked about in Lauren's writeup.

WALLACE

227.jpg

My Bottom 2 songs were easy to figure out as they are the only songs I don't love of this Top 20, although I do still like them. But figuring out which one I like less is tricky. I feel like "I Hope You Dance" was the song that grew on me the most since it's 2000 release, as I heard it more in later years over the other song. After listening to my Bottom 2 songs back to back, this is the one that isn't grabbing me as much so it'll get my #20 ranking for now. Anyway, I do like "I Hope You Dance" and think this is a beautiful song from Lee Ann Womack. It's my favorite song of hers, but also the only one I really know from her. She sounds so pretty on this song but my favorite part is the chorus. So pretty and catchy:

I hope you dance, I hope you dance
I hope you dance, I hope you dance

I also love the part where she sings:

Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

The music video is also really cute. I wonder if those little girls are her daughters in it? But this is such a lovely song and video.

- Not too surprised about Marc Anthony's I Need to Know coming in last, but it's crazy how this came in last with no #20 rankings. 😮 This is a fun and super catchy song. Don't mind it making it into the finals.

- Also not completely surprised about Nine Days' Absolutely coming in at 19th but do wish this was much higher than this. :( Agreed with those that this is super catchy.

- Oooh wow, okay there goes those #20s. :haha: Interesting how "Otherside" has such polarizing rankings.  Two #1s and a #2 and then a bunch of Bottom 5 rankings with 5 #20 rankings.

- Ooh I'm glad my #19 and #20 showed up back to back as I didn't love those as much as the other songs. I'm sad to rank it last as I do like it but this was such a stacked group. Not surprised seeing this have such polarizing and all over the place rankings either. lol Crisis' and Alex's comments had me cracking up though. :haha: 

31 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

this entire reveal is going to be a crazy roller coaster, isn't it

With "I Need to Know" getting better than a 14 average for last place, and the tightness between #19 and #17's scores, it's going to be a reallly close and tight vote. :shiver: