Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

3 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

Really, with “Blank Space,” “Style,” and “Wildest Dreams,” I think Taylor has a very solid chance next year. The only song that comes to mind that could best those is “Hello.”

Yeah, I was looking at the songs for next year & there's a lot of Faves of mine. And those Taylor songs could be her best chance at winning.

4 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

Really, with “Blank Space,” “Style,” and “Wildest Dreams,” I think Taylor has a very solid chance next year. The only song that comes to mind that could best those is “Hello.”

I could be wrong but I feel like she has too many detractors to win but will see I guess.

1 hour ago, #jeah said:

Chandelier is totally winning

Yeah I am pretty much thinking this too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a runaway winner. :haha: 

1 hour ago, Qorey said:

I call "Shake It Off," but then again, Derek probably tanked it to help out his favorites.

59 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I don't think Taylor is ever going to win.

I was gonna say the same thing, Taylor is likely never gonna win here. She's kinda too polarizing to win. 🙈 

35 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

Yeah I think the 1989 era and some of those songs you mentioned would be her best shot. I think she has potential to crack the Final 4, but not sure if she can quite win it.

8. TIMBER – PITBULL FEAT. KESHA

bb43aaa6ed737a7d4aa34cae564c2285.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 2

DEREK: 2

CHRIS: 5

LILY: 6

REI: 6

WALLACE: 6

DIANA: 8

QK: 9

VICTORIA: 9

AKSHAR: 10

STEVEN: 11

ELLIOTT: 12

ALEX: 13

ANDY: 14

GIGI: 15

NICO: 16

RICHARD: 19

COREY

Kesha and Pitbull launch a double whammy on the ears, and it's really good.

DEREK

this song is so stupid, yes please

WALLACE

dd45cf15-d7c7-4471-be15-4f59a342ee35_tex

8f541c83-7a54-48a2-b968-c67941e3c61c_tex

I'm shook but pleased to see a Pitbull song making it to the Final 20 here. Although I know this song is mainly here for Kesha, but still it counts. :dead: But haha really, I do really love "Timber" by Pitbull and Kesha and think this is such a fun jam! I'm shocked to learn that Rihanna was meant to be on this song but she didn't have enough time to record her parts, so Kesha was on this. Kinda crazy learning this now. Anywho, "Timber" is really great fun. I love how this song has a different feel from your typical Pitbull song - as it has a "folktronica" feel to it with country elements. It's unique. I do love how Kesha starts off singing the song with the chorus that goes:

It's going down, I'm yelling timber
You better move, you better dance
Let's make a night you won't remember
I'll be the one you won't forget
Wooooah (timber), wooooah (timber), wooooah (it's going down)
Wooooah (timber), wooooah (timber), wooooah (it's going down)

Soo fun and infectious! :bobo:

I love Pitbull's parts and what he brings to the song, which is all straight up and so much fun! 

The bigger they are, the harder they fall
These big-iddy boys are dig-gidy dogs

:bobo:

But then I really love the pre-chorus part he sings/raps that is so catchy and fun that goes:

Swing your partner round and round
End of the night, it's going down
One more shot, another round
Swing your partner round and round
One more shot, another round

I enjoy Pitbull's second verse even more with the parts where he raps:

Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane
Nah, it's just me, ain't a damn thing changed
Live in hotels, swing on planes
Blessed to say, money ain't a thing 

Order me another round, homie
We about to clown. Why? 'Cause it's about to go down

Then I love how Pitbull and Kesha brings the energy up higher and higher as the song progresses. It's so much fun and such a good ol time! This song just makes me so happy and just want to jam! :bobo: I have no idea how "Timber" will do. I think it will do decently'ish - but I think it will miss out making the Top 10. I think showing up in the second set could be a good guess for this? I hope it can avoid showing up in the first set as I could also see it there too.

STEVEN

This is a fun song. I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but I don't mind it whenever I do happen to hear the song.

ANDY

Fun chorus

RICHARD

This song seems out of place on a 2014 list, to be honest. It sounds more like it belongs in 2010, especially with the Pitbull collaboration. Also, Kesha has been ranking way too high on these rankdowns for her own good, so hopefully my ranking keeps her from overstaying her welcome again.

7. CAN'T REMEMBER TO FORGET YOU – SHAKIRA FEAT. RIHANNA

1783a1ae441d708b8acc89badd18c268.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 1

NICO: 1

ALEX: 4

LILY: 4

REI: 4

DIANA: 5

ELLIOTT: 5

STEVEN: 5

GIGI: 8

WALLACE: 11

DEREK: 12

CHRIS: 14

ANDY: 15

RICHARD: 15

AKSHAR: 18

QK: 19

VICTORIA: 20

COREY

No song on this list can compare to Shakira and Rihanna dueling for attention with their vocals, in front of that reggae beat in the background.

ALEX

7c74856a41bf3225f3fdf333577bbaff.jpg

STEVEN

This is a great collaboration between Shakira and Rihanna. I like what they both bring to the song. Definitely one of the most enjoyable songs here in the Top 20.

WALLACE

57xj.gif

fc50862c-7910-4865-aed5-5ffb874fa9e6_tex

I kinda have my #11 and #12 interchangeable but I decided to give "Can't Remember to Forget You" the advantage of the #11 spot as I guess I was just a little more into this? Though I do really like both songs. I had a strong feeling that "Can't Remember to Forget You" by Shakira and Rihanna would make it to the Top 20 here and I'm not mad about it. Although of the 2014 Rihanna collaborations, I do personally prefer "The Monster." :ph34rwave: But I still really like this! "Can't Remember to Forget You" is a really fun and sexy song - where Shakira and Rihanna really both deliver. I love the sexy vocal delivery Shakira delivers on her opening verse. :wub: I do really love how she sings the chorus of the song that goes:

I can't remember to forget you
I keep forgetting I should let you go
But when you look at me
The only memory
Is us kissing in the moonlight

This song/chorus has such a fun, mysterious, hypnotic feel to it, that I am here for. ❤️ I love those "whooaaa ooohh oooohhhh" parts that she sings! I love what Rihanna brings on the second verse, as she also brings her own flavor and sexy style to the song too. It works so well. :bobo: Then I love how they both sing the second chorus together as well. :wub:

Another standout part of the song that I love is the bridge where Shakira and Rihanna sings the same part, with Shakira singing it first and then Rihanna.

I'd rob and I'd kill to keep him with me
I'd do anything for that boy
I'd give my last dime to hold him tonight
I'd do anything for that boy

I love how they build up the last parts of the song where Shakira is playing the guitar and drums. It's such a fun and exciting build-up and climax to the song! :omg: Oooh and what I like more than the song is the music video. Both Shakira and Rihanna are extremely gorgeous and bring so much hotness in this music video! :wub:

ANDY

Shakira and Rihanna are my queens but I never cared for this song. A bit boring

RICHARD

I’d never heard this one before this rankdown, and for me, it’s just so-so. There’s not really anything about it that keeps hold of my attention, despite Shakira and Rihanna both sounding pretty good on the track.

6. DRUNK IN LOVE – BEYONCÉ FEAT. JAY-Z

8b5bfe335567fc7673d46ccf72176b2c.800x800x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

ELLIOTT: 1

ALEX: 2

LILY: 3

NICO: 5

VICTORIA: 5

WALLACE: 5

ANDY: 7

REI: 7

GIGI: 10

CHRIS: 11

RICHARD: 11

AKSHAR: 13

COREY: 17

STEVEN: 17

DIANA: 18

QK: 20

DEREK

a Timbaland/Beyonce single... god is good

ALEX

If we’re being honest with ourselves it’s no Partition but still…iconic

WALLACE

168621845-large.gif

Hmm I'll start off and will say that "Drunk In Love" wasn't exactly the song I was really thinking of or anticipating moving onto the finals. I didn't really have an idea what I wanted to advance but figured that my top choices wouldn't have been agreed upon, which was the case, as they even got cut (i.e. "Happy" would have been my top choice) . :broken:  But then again, it's Beyoncé so I would have no issue advancing this song, even if I would have preferred advancing others. :haha: It was either that or watch QK cutting yet another Beyoncé song. :yawn: Sorry to "Partition" that we couldn't have saved you. :broken: Anywho, "Drunk In Love" was the song that kicked off the self-titled Beyoncé and of course I do love this song. This is such a grown, mature, sexy and sensual song and Bey sells it perfectly!

I do love the sensuality that Beyoncé brings to the opening verse of the song. I also love the production of this song as it has that hypnotic and mesemerizing feel to it. I do love how Bey sings those I've been drinkin', I've been drinkin' and I've been thinkin', I've been thinkin' parts.Then I also love the parts where she sings:

Cigars on ice, cigars on ice
Feelin' like an animal with these cameras all in my grill
Flashin' lights, flashin' lights
You got me faded, faded, faded
Baby, I want you, na na

Then I also love how she sings the pre-chorus of the song, where she brings a mix of softer sensual vocals and some beltier vocals there. I just love the mixing up she does there.

We woke up in the kitchen
Saying, "How the hell did this happen?"
Oh, baby
Drunk in love
We be all night
Last thing I remember is our beautiful bodies
Grindin' up in that club
Drunk in love

But then MY PARTS are the chorus where she belts it out where she sings: 

WE BE ALL NIGHTT, LOOVEEEE, LOOOVEEE! 
WE BE ALL NIGHTT, LOOVEEEE, LOOOVEEE! 

SO good! :bobo:

Beyoncé continues to bring the sexy on the second verse. I love all of the parts she sings there!

We be all night, and everything alright
No complaints from my body
So fluorescent under these lights
Boy, I'm drinkin', park it in my lot, 7-11
I'm rubbin' on it, rub-rubbin'
If you scared, call that reverend 

Boy, I'm drinkin', I'm singin' 

Then I fill the tub up halfway
Then ride it with my surfboard
Surfboard, surfboard 

I'm swervin' on that, swervin', swervin' on that
Big body been servin' all this
Swerve, surfin' all in this good-good

LOL I love those "surfboard" parts so much. :dead: Bey does kill it on that verse. Definitely a lot of.... passionate lyrics she's singing there to say the least, but I do love the variety of her delivery. I do love Jay-Z's verse and think he kills it on his part here too!

That D'USSÉ is the, if I do say so myself
If I do say so myself, if I do say so myself

:bobo: I do enjoy Jay's verse as a whole though I don't really know or can pinpoint my very favorite parts as I feel it often changes. :haha: I do love the bridge of the song where the song slows down where she sings the part:

I'm never tired, never tired
I been sippin', that's the only thing
That's keepin' me on fire, we on fire
Didn't mean to spill that liquor all on my attire

But yeah "Drunk in Love" is such a jam! I am always here for Bey and Jay collabos and this song is certainly no different. I have really no idea how this will do in its rankings.  I don't see it doing as well as her more pop friendly songs in the past, but I'm still hoping this does well enough to still make it to at least the Top 12!

ANDY

Love. Invented the word Surfbort

RICHARD

There are parts of this I like a lot; really interesting composition, and Beyoncé’s voice shines on the track. Overall, I feel like the song is just too long and repetitive, which would be fine if there was a good reason for it to be as long as it is, but the length seems purposeless. All that said, I do like the song, but I also think a good bit of the fat should have been trimmed.

COREY

Revoltingly slow, and the rhythm is going nowhere, but Beyonce's beautiful voice is a redeeming quality.

STEVEN

I feel bad ranking this song low. I like Beyoncé, but "Drunk In Love" is not one of my favorites from her.

5. PROBLEM – ARIANA GRANDE FEAT. IGGY AZALEA

614366b20e6a45cb8a1adc0c3e1130a1.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 2

GIGI: 2

DEREK: 3

WALLACE: 4

COREY: 5

ANDY: 6

LILY: 7

QK: 8

RICHARD: 8

STEVEN: 8

VICTORIA: 8

NICO: 10

AKSHAR: 14

ELLIOTT: 15

CHRIS: 16

REI: 16

ALEX: 18

DEREK

Remember when Elliott robbed this from the Ariana round?

WALLACE

6dbfc17e-dee3-4fea-ba88-38015c6f6b5f_tex

tumblr_n6enjjW8FE1qjdybto2_500.gif

Hmm I'm kinda sad that "Problem" was the only Ariana Grande song to make it to the Top 20 here for the 2014 round, as I loved all of Ariana's 2014 singles so much. In fact, I think all of her singles this year would have been in my personal Top 15. But "Problem" is my favorite of her 3 songs this year, so #bless Diana for advancing this song forward. I am especially happy to see "Problem" make it to the finals here as it was so wrongfully robbed in the Ariana Discography game. 😢 OK now I think "Problem" was the song that really got me invested and fully on board with Ariana. I enjoyed her first album era/singles but I wasn't quite convinced/a fan yet but this song changed things and made me a fan of Ariana's. Ugh I don't know why but I LOVE and live for this beat and music production here. It makes me sooo happy and want to JAM! :bobo: 

I do love how Ariana sings the opening verse of the song so much! I especially love the parts where she sings: 

Hey baby even though I hate ya!
I wanna love ya
I want you!
And even though I can't forgive you
I really want ta
I want you!
Tell me, tell me baby
Why can't you leave me?

Then I also really love the pre-chorus of the song where Ariana really brings those big vocals into the song that goes: 

Head in the clouds
Got no weight on my shoulders
I should be wiser
And realize that I've got

SING IT, ARI! (!) Then I also love and live for the chorus. But lmao oh why do I forget that Big Sean sings the male vocals of that song? I always do. Ugh he should be credited. But that chorus and THE BEAT! It's THAT SAXOPHONE! That's all my part and I looovee it sooo much! :bobo: 

[Big Sean:]
One less problem without ya!
I got!
I got!
[Ariana Grande:]
I got one less, one less problem
[Big Sean:]
One less problem without ya
I got!
I got!
[Ariana Grande:]
I got one less, one less problem

From the second verse, I love all of what Ariana sings, but I especially love the latter half of it where she sings:

Every time you touch me
And say you love me
I get a little bit breathless
I shouldn't want it
But it's you!

She sounds soo pretty there! ❤️ 

Okay so I know  lots of people have ALL kinds of different thoughts of Iggy Azalea... and I'm sure it's all valid. But dangg it, did she not SLAY it in 2014? I will always live and believe that narrative she had a strong 2014 and her verse on this song is just one example of that. I really love her rap verse here! I really love the parts where she raps:

Smart money bettin'
I'll be better off without you
In no time
I'll be forgettin' all about you
You saying that you know
But I really really doubt you
Understand my life is easy
When I ain't around you
Iggy Iggy
Too biggie to be here stressin'
I'm thinkin' I love the thought of you
More than I love your presence
And the best thing now
Is probably for you to exit
I let you go
Let you back
I finally learned my lesson! 

There's a million you's baby boo
So don't be dumb
I got 99 problems
But you won't be one
Like what!

Iggy killt that verse! :bobo:  I do love how Ariana sings the next part of the song, which is that pre-chorus part, but I especially love how she sings that And realize that I've got (I've got) part. Then all of her big booming vocals at the rest of the song is sooo good! :bobo:

"Problem" is such a great, fun  jam and it still stands as one of my very top favorite jams from Ariana - even 8 years after its release! :wub: I also love the music video and think it's a lot of great fun! I have no idea how this will do, but I think it has potential to do really well. Hopefulllly it does well enough to make the Top 8, and of course I want to see it make it higher than that. Fingers crossed!

COREY

This song has a heavier beat going for it, and Ariana's voice flutters over it quite effectively.

ANDY

Love. This was robbed in Ari's round

RICHARD

Just a great pop song. Ariana was beginning to really hit her stride at this point, and her music started becoming even more infectious. This just feels like a very complete track overall, with the different collaborations and the hooky verses and pre-chorus.

STEVEN

I liked this song more when it was first released, but now it's one I don't listen to nowadays. But there are some cool production choices here, and the overall track makes for a fun listen.

ALEX

Bang Bang was right there for Ariana representation smh