Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2017)

Steven_

4. YOÜ AND I – LADY GAGA

81a644634394d64032231815ce5d54b9.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 3

DEREK: 3

NICO: 3

LILY: 5

CHRIS: 7

STEVEN: 7

ALEX: 8

GIGI: 9

REI: 9

RICHARD: 9

AKSHAR: 10

DIANA: 10

ELLIOTT: 13

QK: 13

WALLACE: 14

COREY: 16

STEVEN

This is nice and enjoyable song from Lady Gaga. Her over-the-top pop songs are fun, but I like hearing this understated side of her too.

ALEX

The way this should easily be the highest ranked Gaga song yet it’ll be the lowest.

RICHARD

Good song. A bit of a different style for Gaga compared to what she had already put out by that point, but she pulled it off for the most part.

WALLACE

3jbl.gif

Of the 3 Lady Gaga songs that made it through to the final 20 here, there's always that one Lady Gaga song I could have done without making it here. It was "Paparazzi" and "Alejandro," the previous two years and now it's "Yoü And I."  I do still really like this song as it gets a 14th ranking from me. I still prefer this song over the songs I ranked it lower than. I still think "Yoü And I" is a really good song from Gaga but it's just a song that I connected least with amongst her big Born This Way singles here. I do like and appreciate the different sound Gaga brings with this song. This song has more of a classic rock or country rock feel to it, which seemed unheard of from Gaga back then. I do like how she sings the opening of this song. She brings lovely and pretty vocals and I really love the parts where she sings: This time I'm not leaving without you. I especially love how she sings that part at the end of the second verse where she belts out that part! :omg: 

Then I also really like/love how she sings the pre-chorus and chorus of the song that goes:

He said, "Sit back down where you belong
In the corner of my bar with your high heels on
Sit back down on the couch where we
Made love the first time and you said to me,"
There's 

(Something), something about this place
(Something), something, 'bout lonely nights
And my lipstick on your face
Something, something about my cool Nebraska guy
Yeah, there's something about, baby, you and I

Another standout part of the song that I really enjoy is the bridge where she belts out those parts that goes:

You and I
You, you and I
You, you and I
You, you and I, I
You and I
You, you and I
Oh yeah, well, I'd rather die
Without you and I, I

Then I also love the part where Gaga sings: 

There's only three men that I'ma serve my whole life
It's my daddy, and Nebraska, and Jesus Christ

After re-listening to "Yoü And I," I do enjoy and appreciate this song more than I remembered. I still think it's far from my favorite song of Gaga's, but I do still really like it. The music video is certainly out there and so interesting. Oooh I kinda forgot that she had that Brian Mays alter ego in this video too, so that was interesting to see. This would be the first Gaga song I hope to see how up first but I doubt that will happen, so I will just hope that one of her other two songs ("Born This Way" or "The Edge of Glory"), either one of those could be the highest ranked song of hers this year.

COREY

Not a great song, but it brings images of two people hanging out and having a time together, and I guess that's something.

3. THE EDGE OF GLORY – LADY GAGA

2dfd899641e653e6552344db17a2ad2b.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

REI: 1

GIGI: 4

RICHARD: 5

CHRIS: 6

NICO: 6

WALLACE: 7

ANDY: 8

DIANA: 8

ELLIOTT: 10

AKSHAR: 11

COREY: 11

STEVEN: 12

DEREK: 14

QK: 14

ALEX: 15

RICHARD

Compared to her hits in 2009 and 2010, this isn’t quite as strong for me, but it’s definitely the most hooky of the songs she released this year, and the chorus hits hard. I love the little saxophone feature in the second half, too.

WALLACE

lady-gaga-im-on-the-edge-of-glory.gif

I love "The Edge of Glory" from Lady Gaga and I think it's such a feel good song! I don't really know how to describe the song but it does have this fun euro-dance / disco feel to it. Lady Gaga sounds great as always. I love how she starts off the song singing: There ain't no reason you and me should be alone. Tonight, yeah, baby. Tonight, yeah, baby.

I do really love the pre-chorus and chorus sections of the song where she sings: 

It's hot to feel the rush
To brush the dangerous
I'm gonna run right to, to the edge with you
Where we can both fall far in love 

I'm on the edge of glory
And I'm hangin' on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory
And I'm hangin' on a moment with you
I'm on the edge
The edge, the edge, the edge
The edge, the edge, the edge
I'm on the edge of glory
And I'm hangin' on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you

:bobo:

I love how her voice just builds up and powers through that chorus of the song! :wub: :bobo: From the second verse, I kinda also really love those parts where she shouts out Alright! Alright! She's just really feeling it with what she's singing there. :haha:

I also love that saxophone solo either after the end of second chorus - which could classify as the bridge of the song? I don't know but it continues that feel good nature that this song brings! :bobo: That leads me to mention that I also love the music production as a whole here. Then I love how Gaga sings the rest of the song and really powers through that chorus! :yes: I have no idea how "The Edge of Glory" will do or rank here overall or especially amongst the Lady Gaga songs. But I do love this nearly as much as "Born This Way" so hoping that this does well here, which I'm sure it will.

COREY

This song arrived in the aftermath of her phenomenal first album, and was the second of two rather mundane efforts. She would later recover my admiration and respect, but not this time.

STEVEN

I like this song well enough, but I do prefer her other two songs here. But I get the appeal of this song too.

ALEX

This feel so…basic after the way Erika Van Pelt put her entire being into this song for the AI11 wildcard.

2. SOMEONE LIKE YOU – ADELE

85af0d427b22e876cd10a7ca128399c8.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

DIANA: 1

NICO: 1

RICHARD: 1

AKSHAR: 2

GIGI: 2

REI: 2

STEVEN: 4

ANDY: 5

ALEX: 6

QK: 8

WALLACE: 9

DEREK: 10

COREY: 14

LILY: 17

ELLIOTT: 18

RICHARD

Beautiful, emotionally powerful track. Definitely one of the most memorable from the year and one of Adele’s biggest standouts to this day. Probably wouldn’t be my #1 if released most other years, but the field this year is pretty mediocre.

STEVEN

Lovely vocals and piano melody on this track. Adele sounds sublime here, and she effectively conveys the heartbreaking lyrics of the song.

WALLACE

WMl3.gif

I'm definitely not surprised to see Adele's first two breakthrough hits in the U.S. making it to the Final 20 here. "Someone Like You" is pretty much quintessential Adele! This is really such a calm, gorgeous, moving but oh so powerful song. As usual, Adele SANGS her face off and really pours her emotion so well and flawlessly here.... it's so stunning. I love how she sings the opening verse, and it's like the perfect story she's singing here. She just makes you FEEL so much. :broken: I love the whole first verse but I really love the pre-chorus where she sings:

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.

And then the chorus is quite iconic, big and soooo moving and powerful. I love that and how she sings that part:

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I'll remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead"

So much variety in vocal range and the vulnerability is so bone chilling! :omg: I will admit, it's kinda fun belting out some of that chorus but I definitely don't sound anywhere near as good as Adele. :dead: Anywho, from the second verse, I love the part where she sings:

Only yesterday was the time of our lives
We were born and raised
In a summer haze

I also love how she kinda sings the bridge in a faster pace, where she sings:

Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

Wow, Adele is just telling it, y'all. :broken: Then I love how she kinda has that fragile scratchy quality in her voice a bit after the bridge and then she delivers some beautiful belting. I just love how much range and variety she showcases in her voice too. The music video is beautifully shot and done well. Anyway, I have no doubt that "Someone Like You" will do really well and even quite dominate here, as it deserves to. But I would also be lying if I said I was rooting for this to win as I'm pulling for another Adele song to win. I won't be too upset if this wins as I can see it coming but still rooting for Adele's other song to take that honor. We'll see what happens. :haha:

COREY

Another overrated and overblown song by Adele. She is oh so mature, and oh so talented. She is wise beyond her years. Every note she sings is so perfectly in place. Give me a break!

1. ROLLING IN THE DEEP – ADELE

68266747aa7bd27b0055506437c13438.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

WALLACE: 1

NICO: 2

RICHARD: 2

CHRIS: 3

GIGI: 3

REI: 3

STEVEN: 3

ALEX: 4

DIANA: 5

AKSHAR: 6

QK: 7

COREY: 12

DEREK: 13

LILY: 13

ELLIOTT: 17

WALLACE

Adele+-+Rolling+in+the+Deep.gif

As my actual #1 song of the year of "Grenade" fell short and couldn't quite make it through to the finals, I will gladly give "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele the top spot as this song was my #2 favorite song of 2011. "Rolling in the Deep" is an amazing and iconic song from Adele's discography. I believe this was the song that made her a superstar in the U.S. I'm not sure how it was worldwide for her, but this song really blew up and was so huge here in 2011 - and deservingly so! This is also up there as one of my top favorite songs of hers, maybe even my actual favorite song of hers! :wub: 

Adele brings some strong, powerful and soulful vocals to this song and she absolutely SLAYS this song! I love how she starts off singing the song subtley with the music quite soft in like an a capella form. She sings some real stuff. A part that really stands out to me is where she sings: Finally I can see you crystal clear. Go 'head and sell me out and I'll lay your ship bare. It's like "Oh snap, Adele! She's meaning business here."  I love how she continues slowly building up the song on the pre-chorus where she sings:

The scars of your love remind me of us
They keep me thinking that we almost had it all
The scars of your love, they leave me breathless
I can't help feeling

Then she comes in booming through hard vocally with that epic iconic chorus that goes:

We could have had it all
(You're gonna wish you never had met me)
Rolling in the deep
(Tears are gonna fall, rolling in the deep)
You had my heart inside of your hand
(You're gonna wish you never had met me)
And you played it, to the beat
(Tears are gonna fall, rolling in the deep)

I love how strong and powerful her vocals are at that part! :omg: I also love how she has some softer sweet falsetto type vocals in there too. ❤️ From the second verse, the parts that stands out most to me are where she sings:

Think of me in the depths of your despair
Make a home down there
As mine sure won't be shared

Then the bridge is another really strong and powerful part of the song where Adele sings:

Throw your soul through every open door (woah)
Count your blessings to find what you look for (woah)
Turn my sorrow into treasured gold (woah)
You'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you sow (woah)

Adele delivers such killer and outstanding vocals here, with an emotional connection that really makes you feel all of what she's singing. "Rolling in the Deep" is just, always has and always will be a song that stands out so much to me in her discography. It's the song that made me take notice and really become a fan of hers! ❤️ I do think both of Adele's songs stands a great chance of winning or at least making the Final 4, but I really do hope that "Rolling in the Deep" can pull off the win!

RICHARD

A soulful song that hits pretty hard, even if I wish the verses could have hit a bit harder. Still a great track that was definitely one of the best of the year. Adele’s voice on the track powers through terrifically on the choruses, especially.

STEVEN

I remember how popular this song was. This was on the radio all the time, but I never got tired of it whenever it came on. "Rolling in the Deep" really is a great song that helped launch Adele's career to new heights. Her delivery here is perfect; she really showcases her talent as a vocalist. "Rolling in the Deep" is a worthy winner for this round.

ALEX

If this wins it’s also a Haley Reinhart victory!!!!

COREY

This song reminds me of such 1960's songs as "The Age Of Aquarius", and it has some redeeming qualities, but that song was made fifty years ago, and we should've expected better from an artist of the 2000's.

4. Oooh phew, okay "You and I" was the main song I didn't want to win so I'm good with this coming in 4th. Not surprised this song did really well as I figured it was really loved here - which it is with 12 Top 10 ranks. But wow kinda surprised no Top 2 rankings though. 😮 Lol well Alex was wrong with his comment, as this ended up being in the middle. :giggle: 

3. Hmm, so it seems 3rd is ever gonna be the best Lady Gaga does as she has yet to been able to get a song to crack the Top 2. 😮 I'm not too surprised with "The Edge of Glory" being her highest ranked song here. A great, fun, feel good song from Gaga. Agreed with all of Richard's comments here. Nice that this got 10 Top 10 rankings and no Bottom 5 rankings. 

2. With Adele's first showing her, she manages to have the Top 2 songs of this rankdown. Some Kelly Clarkson teas here.... very impressive! :omg: But of her two songs, I'm really glad that "Someone Like You" was the one to come in 2nd. Great song but I connected to her other one. But 4 #1s, 9 Top 5s and 13 Top 10 rankings are all really impressive! :omg: OMG Corey with the shade in his comments though. :dead: 

1. Ooooh okay, yayy for "Rolling in the Deep" pulling out the win as this was the song I ranked at #1 so yeah I was hoping it would pull off the win. 😄❤️ Woww lots of #3s for this. :haha: 2 #1s, 8 Top 3, 10 Top 5 and 12 Top 10 rankings is reallly impressive! :omg: This is really such a powerful and iconic song from Adele and a very deserving winner. :yes: I'm so confused but amused by Corey's comments here. :dead: 

36 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Not shocking results. I really just think the suspense was which Adele song would win. 😂

Lmaooo yeah pretty much this. I felt that Adele was going to win, as Lady Gaga hasn't been able to win so this was pretty much Adele's year. Just didn't know which one would have won. :haha: 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:16 PM, Steven_ said:

SONGS OF 2012

"No Lie" – 2 Chainz feat. Drake

"Rolling in the Deep" – Adele

"Rumour Has It" – Adele

"Set Fire to the Rain" – Adele

"Someone Like You" – Adele

"Too Close" – Alex Clare

"Dance (A$$)" – Big Sean feat. Nicki Minaj

"So Good" – B.o.B

"It Will Rain" – Bruno Mars

"Feel So Close" – Calvin Harris

"Let's Go" – Calvin Harris feat. Ne-Yo

"Call Me Maybe" – Carly Rae Jepsen

"Blown Away" – Carrie Underwood

"Good Girl" – Carrie Underwood

"Cashin' Out" – Cash Out

"Want U Back" – Cher Lloyd

"Don't Wake Me Up" – Chris Brown

"Turn Up the Music" – Chris Brown

"A Thousand Years" – Christina Perri

"Paradise" – Coldplay

"Turn Me On" – David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj

"Titanium" – David Guetta feat. Sia

"Without You" – David Guetta feat. Usher

"Give Your Heart a Break" – Demi Lovato

"The Motto" – Drake feat. Lil Wayne

"Take Care" – Drake feat. Rihanna

"Even If It Breaks Your Heart" – Eli Young Band

"Lights" – Ellie Goulding

"Springsteen" – Eric Church

"Good Feeling" – Flo Rida

"Whistle" – Flo Rida

"Wild Ones" – Flo Rida feat. Sia

"Some Nights" – Fun

"We Are Young" – Fun feat. Janelle Monáe 

"Not Over You" – Gavin DeGraw

"Somebody That I Used to Know" – Gotye feat. Kimbra

"Stereo Hearts" – Gym Class Heroes feat. Adam Levine

"A** Back Home" – Gym Class Heroes feat. Neon Hitch

"We Run the Night" – Havana Brown feat. Pitbull

"Wanted" – Hunter Hayes

"It's Time" – Imagine Dragons

"Work Out" – J. Cole

"Fly Over States" – Jason Aldean

"Take a Little Ride" – Jason Aldean

"I Won't Give Up" – Jason Mraz

"N***** in Paris" – Jay-Z and Kanye West 

"Domino" – Jessie J

"As Long as You Love Me" – Justin Bieber feat. Big Sean

"Boyfriend" – Justin Bieber

"Mercy" – Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T and 2 Chainz

"Brokenhearted" – Karmin

"The One That Got Away" – Katy Perry

"Part of Me" – Katy Perry

"Wide Awake" – Katy Perry

"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" – Kelly Clarkson

"Come Over" – Kenny Chesney

"Die Young" – Kesha

"Somethin' 'Bout a Truck" – Kip Moore

"Drank in My Cup" – Kirko Bangz

"Hard to Love" – Lee Brice

"Burn It Down" – Linkin Park

"Pontoon" – Little Big Town

"Sexy and I Know It" – LMFAO

"Party Rock Anthem" – LMFAO feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock

"Drunk on You" – Luke Bryan

"I Don't Want This Night to End" – Luke Bryan

"Ho Hey" – The Lumineers

"One More Night" – Maroon 5

"Moves Like Jagger" – Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera

"Payphone" – Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa

"Adorn" – Miguel

"Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)" – Ne-Yo

"Everybody Talks" – Neon Trees

"Pound the Alarm" – Nicki Minaj

"Starships" – Nicki Minaj

"What Makes You Beautiful" – One Direction

"Good Time" – Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen

"Home" – Phillip Phillips

"Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" – P!nk

"Back in Time" – Pitbull

"International Love" – Pitbull feat. Chris Brown

"Gangnam Style" – Psy

"Diamonds" – Rihanna

"Where Have You Been" – Rihanna

"You da One" – Rihanna

"We Found Love" – Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris

"Birthday Cake" – Rihanna feat. Chris Brown

"Love You like a Love Song" – Selena Gomez & the Scene

"Young, Wild & Free" – Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa feat. Bruno Mars

"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" – Taylor Swift

"Red Solo Cup" – Toby Keith

"5 O'Clock" – T-Pain feat. Wiz Khalifa and Lily Allen

"50 Ways to Say Goodbye" – Train

"Drive By" – Train

"Heart Attack" – Trey Songz

"Rack City" – Tyga

"Climax" – Usher

"Scream" – Usher

"Glad You Came" – The Wanted

"Work Hard, Play Hard" – Wiz Khalifa

Here are the 2012 songs. The round will start tomorrow.

• Like 1

I won’t be on my laptop until later this afternoon, but I’ll try to get the round started now on my phone to not keep everyone waiting. Apologies in advance for the formatting not looking so good. :haha: 

The first step is for everyone to ADVANCE FOUR SONGS to the next round. The songs not chosen will be eliminated.

You don't have to post all four of your picks at once as long as you post them before the deadline.

You must post your four picks in 24 hours. If you miss the deadline, then a randomizer will make your choices for you.

Please post ASAP.

@jarmon @Alex95 @#jeah @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @*Diana @Elliott @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @QueenKalie @.Rei @rdhaley96 @*Wallace

• Steven_ changed the title to Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2017)