Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

16. PARTY UP (UP IN HERE) - DMX

vUIeDss.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CRISIS: 1

B-B: 2

ALEX: 7

NICO: 9

WALLACE: 9

ELLIOTT: 11

PRISCILLA: 12

DEREK: 14

DIANA: 14

VICTORIA: 14

AKSHAR: 16 

LILY: 16 

REI: 17

CHRIS: 19

GIGI: 19 

STEVEN: 19

CRISIS

This will forever be a bop. It's difficult not to get hype when the beat comes in and DMX blaring out the chorus. Without question one of his best songs from And Then There Was X and one of my overall favorites from him. RIP Dark Man X.

WALLACE

SeriousGiganticGrebe-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_n1d970I4H81rbppffo1_400.gifv

"Party Up (Up in Here)" making it to the Top 20 finals was quite a surprise for me that I didn't see coming but I absolutely love that this is here. So thank you, Crisis & B-B! "Party Up (Up in Here)"  is a straight up JAM! This is also my favorite DMX song, and was a song I was obsessed with back when this was out.... and I still am. It's a little hard to listen to nowdays with his passing last year, but I do still love and jam out to the song. I have such fond memories of it. Swizz Beatz came in hard with the production here and DMX slays it with how he raps on this song. The song starts off with that catchy and addicting chorus from DMX that goes:

Y'all gon' make me lose my mind
Up in HERE, up in here
Y'all gon' make me go all out
Up in here, up in here
Y'all gon' make me act a fool
Up in HERE, up in here
Y'all gon' make me lose my cool
Up in here, up in here

Mannn, this song really makes me act a fool and lose my mind... up in here, up in here. :giggle: I do love how hard DMX goes in on the verses of this song as he does not hold back here. I love his opening line where he raps: If I gotsta bring it to you cowards then it's gonna be quick, aight. X is letting it be known. :giggle: But I also love where he raps: 

And I don't know who the f you think you talkin to
But I'm not him, aight slim? So watch what you do
Or you gon' find yourself, buried next to someone else
And we all thought you loved yourself
But that couldn't have been the issue, or maybe
They just sayin' that, now cause they miss you 

That's why you layin' on your back, lookin' at the roof of the church
Preacher tellin' the truth and it hurts

Some of my favorite parts from the second verse (which I think is my favorite verse of his in the song) are where DMX raps:

First of all, you ain't rapped long enough
To be f***in' with me and you, you ain't strong enough 

So whatever it is you puffin' on that got you think that you Superman
I got the Kryptonite, should I smack him with my  and the mic? 

You wack, you're twisted
You're broke, the kid ain't yours, and e'rybody know
Your old man say you stupid, you be like, "So?
I love my baby mother, I never let her go"

Danggg X just goes in SO hard, it's insane. :dead: I would hate to be whoever he is rapping about here. Yikes. But I love the 3rd verse too. I don't have as many standout parts but I love the part where he raps:

Listen, yo'  is about to be missin
You know who gon' find you? (Who?) Some old man fishin
Grandma wishin your soul's at rest

Then the ending of the song is a lot of fun with the whole "meet me outside, meet me outside" part with the shout out to the ruff ryders, fly ladies, big ballers, street people and all! :haha: Now I am gonna lose my mind and go all out, up in here, up in here, as I continue listening to this jam over and over again. :bobo:

CHRIS

It's a decent song but it's never been my go to song or genre of music - my apologies to its fans whom I am sure will be giving it a good ranking.

STEVEN

It's a hard-hitting song, and I understand why it's a song people enjoy and get hyped to. However, it is one of my least favorites in this Top 20. It's just not my preferred style of music.

15. BREATHE - FAITH HILL

no68DP4.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 3
DIANA: 3

AKSHAR: 4 

STEVEN: 7

ELLIOTT: 8

WALLACE: 8

VICTORIA: 10

GIGI: 11

LILY: 15

NICO: 16

CRISIS: 17

DEREK: 17

PRISCILLA: 18

REI: 19

ALEX: 20

B-B: 20

CHRIS

First of all, I am so happy that this song was able to sneak into the Top 20 especially considering how big female country artists were at the top of their game & able to have crossover hits in the early 2000s.  And while I love this song, I am unsure that I would rank this song in my Top 3 but considering that country music don't tend to do well in these type of game & it having receiving votes to get eliminated, I am giving a high ranking.

STEVEN

"Breathe" is my favorite Faith Hill song. It's a nice, romantic song, and I especially like the swell of the chorus. Faith Hill looks absolutely stunning in the music video too.

WALLACE

faith-hill-justbreathe.gif

Ahh "Breathe" by Faith Hill was the main country song I was hoping would make it to the finals of this 2000s game, and I am so glad that it did. ❤️ "Breathe" was my favorite country song of 2000 and is also my favorite song of Faith Hill's. This song is also a milestone song because it is the #1 song of the 2000 Year-End Billboard chart, despite never going to #1 on any week on the actual weekly Billboard Hot 100 charts. 😮 This is really such a beautiful and gorgeous song from Faith. ❤️ She sings and sounds absolutely beautiful on this. I love how the song starts off so soft and calmly. :wub: Her voice is so soothing, rich and easy to listen to. I love the part from the opening verse where she sings:

When I'm lying wrapped up in your arms
The whole world just fades away
The only thing I hear
Is the beating of your heart

Then the chorus is another fantastic part of the song where she sings:

'Cause I can feel you breathe
It's washing over me
Suddenly I'm melting into you
There's nothing left to prove
Baby all we need is just to be
Caught up in the touch
The slow and steady rush
Baby, isn't that the way that love's supposed to be
I can feel you breathe
Juuuusssst brrreeeeaaattttthhheee

So powerful and beautiful! :omg: She sounds really wonderful on the second verse of the song too. I love where she sings: I'm closer than I've ever felt before. And I know and you know. There's no need for words right now. :wub:

Hmm it's interesting that there isn't really a bridge on this song, but it's not really needed. This song is just beautiful and gorgeous the way it is. I do love how she closes the song singing: I can feel the magic floating in the air. Being with you gets me that way

The music video is also really nice here too. Faith looks absolutely gorgeous and stunning here. Lovely song from Faith Hill. I kinda expect this song to have super polarizing rankings but I look forward to seeing how it does.

CRISIS

I am not a Faith Hill fan in the slightest; however, this is my favorite song of hers. In addition, she looked beautiful in the video.

14. THERE YOU GO - P!NK

there-you-go.jpg?width=600&mode=stretch

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

PRISCILLA: 2

VICTORIA: 6
DIANA: 7

GIGI: 8 

DEREK: 11

LILY: 11 

STEVEN: 11

ALEX: 12

CRISIS: 13

REI: 13

WALLACE: 14

B-B: 15

ELLIOTT: 15

AKSHAR: 17

NICO: 17 

CHRIS: 20

STEVEN

So, I actually completely forgot about this song. But after listening to it again, I ended up liking it enough to place it pretty high on my ranking.

ALEX

I love P!nk and I look forward to ranking her high in subsequent rounds but this song is meh.

CRISIS

Re-listening to this made me think P!nk is much better doing R&B/Pop. However, I won't fault her for going Rock because I think that's she wanted to be from the beginning and seems to be doing well there.

WALLACE

tumblr_mi1limgKMp1rm8kqvo1_500.gif

Old school R&BP!nk! :wub: I remember P!nk busting into the music scene with this song oh so well. She was this fiery pink haired young lady singing sassy R&B songs, and had people shook when they saw her.  I do love P!nk's debut R&B album sound and "There You Go," was my favorite song from her of this era. I'm not really sure where this ranks amongst my favorite P!nk songs as it's so different from most of her music but I do love this. This isn't a song I was really pushing for but I am happy to see it here. I do love the attitude and sass that she brings to this song.  I love a lot of parts she sings, from the pre-chorus, I love where she sings: 

So you say you wanna talk, let's talk
If you won't talk, I'll walk, yeah it's like that
Got a new man, he's waiting out back
Now what, what you think about that

But then the chorus of the song is great and so catchy where she sings:

There you go, lookin pitiful
Just because I let you go
There you go, talkin bout you want me back
But sometimes it be's like that, so
There you go, talkin bout you miss me so, that you love me so, why I let ya go
There you go cause your lies got old, look at you
There you go

:bobo:

I love all of what she sings on the second verse. So much attitude and confidence but she sells it so well! The bridge is another top favorite part of the song for me too where she sings:

Oooh, don't you wish you could turn the hands of time
Don't you wish you still were mine
Don't you wish I'd take you back
Don't you wish that things were simple like that, oh
Didn't miss a good thing till it was gone
But I knew it wouldn't be long, till you came runnin back
Missin my love, there you go

Also how great is the music video? Especially with P!nk riding that motorcycle and jumping from it and then crashing it right into her ex-boyfriend's partment as payback. OMG like what the heck at that? Sooo insane. :dead: I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that. But I would recommend you all to listen and praise this classic jam from P!nk.

CHRIS

I totally forgot that this song existed until the rankdown, and I think I could have done without it in the Top 20 as it's not one of P!nk's best especially when you look at her songs released in the 2000s.

13. HOT BOYZ - MISSY ELLIOTT FEAT. NAS, EVE, AND Q-TIP

artworks-000083802897-47a3vt-t500x500.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 2

NICO: 2

ALEX: 4

B-B: 6

CRISIS: 7

AKSHAR: 12

REI: 12

ELLIOTT: 13 

PRISCILLA: 13

LILY: 13

GIGI: 17 

CHRIS: 18

DIANA: 18 

STEVEN: 18

WALLACE: 18

VICTORIA: 19

ALEX

Eve really and truly #snapp'd with her verse here, there's no denying that.

CRISIS

I forgot how good this song is before listening to it for this ranking. Everyone did their thing; however, Nas and Eve really showed out, especially the latter. Speaking of whom, it makes me lament the lack of strong female rappers today outside of maybe a couple.

CHRIS

Sorry to fans of this song but it does nothing for me.

STEVEN

The song's got a cool vibe to it. I don't think I would seek it out to listen to it again though.

WALLACE

monophy.gif

monophy.gif

Maybe a shocker but I was considering voting for this song on the Vote off round. But then when I went to re-listen to it, I was like "OH SNAP! Ugh, I love this song. I can't vote it out" so I didn't. :dead: Ugh I wish I could rank it higher than this but sadly #18 is the spot I can give this. While this isn't my favorite Missy song.... it still has 3 rap powerhouse stars in Missy, Nas and Eve on this.... so of course I got to love it! :haha: I do love Nas' rap verse at the start and some of my fave parts are where he raps: 

Crushin' your Benz, crushin' your Navigator system
My QB!
It's Nas in your area, Queens 'bout to tear it up
Braveheart y'all scared of us, real, they be us

I really enjoy Missy's opening verse and also enjoy Lil' Mo singing on the chorus. Missy brings such the coolest style and Lil' Mo has such smooth and pretty vocals here! Some parts I love from Missy are where she raps and sings:

Is that your car, the XK-8?
Are you riding alone, can I be your date?
Come get me, get me, don't diss me, don't trick me 

Baby you got what I want
See cause y'all be driving Lexus jeeps
And the Benz jeeps, and the Lincoln jeeps
Nothin' cheaper, got them Platinum Visa's

:bobo:

I love Eve's rap verse and what she brings to the song. My favorite parts from her are where she raps: 

Hot boy, keep me right
Play your part and I'll keep it tight
Where else you gonna be in the middle of the night
But up in the sheets with me aiight 

Only he knows
He's a hot boy, Missy sing it out and I'm gon' spit it
Ruff Ryders scream it loud, daddy is you with it

Oh E-V-E! :dead: She slays on this song. I agree with Alex's comment about Eve regarding her verse but I can't repeat it myself. :haha: However, the next Missy verse is probably my favorite part of the song where she raps:

I'ma dig in yo pockets
Dig in yo wallets
Money I'm foundin'
Yea you got my heart poundin'

I don't know why but I just love that part so much. :dead: This song is such a jam! :bobo: Maybe I could have been fine with it missing the Top 20 but I also won't object to it being here as this has a lot of artists I'm a fan of.

- Kinda pleasantly surprised "Party Up (Up in Here)" didn't show up on the previous set but I am glad this managed to make it to #16! Crisis said it all in his comments here.

- Ooof, the one time I am finally #TeamCountry, "Breathe" comes in at 15th? Darn I'm bummed as I was hoping for this to rank higher. :(  But still, some a good ranking considering this song doesn't have any Top 2 votes. Love this beautiful song. Agreed completely with Steven's comments. But OMGG look at Lily still slaying on these rankings, lmao. 

- Perfect spot for P!nk's "There You Go" coming in at #14, as I ranked it there too. :giggle: Although I would have preferred the other two songs higher than this one but oh well. Still very impressive to make it here with only 4 Top 10 rankings. While I do love this song, I also find myself agreeing with Chris' last comment. She does have stronger songs that should hopefully make it to the finals of their respective years.

- Well done to "Hot Boyz" on coming in at #13. I feel so awkward with my ranking, lmaoo. But this is a jam. Surprised this made it through to the finals but not really mad at it.

10 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Y i k e s

Look at me not being included on there! :wub: For once.

6 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Whole top 20 was so strong but this top 12??

compete bon appetit GIF

You are KILLING it with these rankings. :omg: 

3 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Agreed. ❤️

But then I can say the same about rap. :(

This. 

It's surprisingly much different on this game versus the Music Artists game with rap faring better here than Country here.