The Voice ● S22 ● Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

2 hours ago, Daillon said:

I don't doubt it, I was just pointing out which scenario may have allowed an AA female win.

At this point I don't think it's ever happening. It makes me sad how many people keep coming back every season to torture themselves by thinking it will happen. 

Tessanne Chin season 5...

8 minutes ago, octoberdana said:

Tessanne Chin says hello.

Tessanne’s great (and does get erased way too easily in the conversation about non-white women winning the show), I just wish that she wasn’t the only instance of a powerful adult female vocalist that primarily does “diva” type R&B/pop songs winning the show.

I’m hopeful it’s still possible, but not holding my breath since in the eight years since Tessanne’s win it hasn’t happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, octoberdana said:

Tessanne Chin season 5...

How is Tessanne African American when she is not even American to beggin with?? :unsure:

She is not full black either, she is half-Asian (her father is Jamaican Chinese), but still, it's impressive that a mixed-race (idk if the term is right, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) woman that is not even American managed to win the whole show. Good times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

How is Tessanne African American when she is not even American to beggin with?? :unsure:

She is not full black either, she is half-Asian (her father is Jamaican Chinese), but still, it's impressive that a mixed-race (idk if the term is right, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) woman that is not even American managed to win the whole show. Good times.

And it only took nuking Team Blake out of orbit so he couldn’t four-peat to do it 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

It is impressive, but she certainly enjoyed the privilege of not presenting the dark-skinned prerequisite of Blackness that people haphazardly assume. She's definitely Black, but probably has a different lived experience than darker-skinned women.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Rat! said:

It is impressive, but she certainly enjoyed the privilege of not presenting the dark-skinned prerequisite of Blackness that people haphazardly assume. She's definitely Black, but probably has a different lived experience than darker-skinned women.

Good point. People often forget that colorism exists, not just racism.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

I’m pretty sure Tessanne is black or multiracial (black+another races or two) but not African American. All African American people are black, but not all black people are African American.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

And it only took nuking Team Blake out of orbit so he couldn’t four-peat to do it 🤪

That is a result only the people that watched that season can fully appreciate.   I refer to that season as the "Sock Puppet" Blake season. 

4 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I think it comes down to beloved vs respected. Wendy earned mad respect for her vocal ability, but like the song says, you can’t make people love you. You need that thing that makes people switch from merely enjoying the music to being a real fan.

I don't always agree with you but this was very well said. 

1 hour ago, Spurrious said:

That is a result only the people that watched that season can fully appreciate.   I refer to that season as the "Sock Puppet" Blake season. 

I guess I “appreciate by proxy” then - I didn’t watch the season live (though I have since done the patchwork to put together a good bit of it from YouTube + other video hosting sites), but it’s the sort of season 15-year-old me in her anti-country phase would’ve fully appreciated had I kept up with the show back then.

That said, I do wonder how one KO result in particular could’ve changed things had the outcome been flipped…

Anyway, here’s to hoping that for S22 we get the traditional cast of 48 again + at least as many live shows as we got for S21, if nothing else. Snowflake killers need not apply 😛

34 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I guess I “appreciate by proxy” then - I didn’t watch the season live (though I have since done the patchwork to put together a good bit of it from YouTube + other video hosting sites), but it’s the sort of season 15-year-old me in her anti-country phase would’ve fully appreciated had I kept up with the show back then.

That said, I do wonder how one KO result in particular could’ve changed things had the outcome been flipped…

Anyway, here’s to hoping that for S22 we get the traditional cast of 48 again + at least as many live shows as we got for S21, if nothing else. Snowflake killers need not apply 😛

If you are speaking about Holly....Given what I know now about the audience....not THAT much. 

#EpicBus

Apart from the fact that she's not African American, even though Tessanne Chin has Black heritage, she fully passes for an Asian woman. Like people who didn't already know her wouldn't say she's Black when asked to describe her, which is fine and doesn't invalidate her Black heritage. But seeing as prejudice is exercised virtually all of the time based off of somebody's phenotype, I would not use her as a representative example of a Black winner of the show, as she doesn't go through life exactly the same as how unambiguously Black women do.

It's sad to say but I fully doubt that she would have won the show if she were a dark-skinned, unambiguously Black Jamaican woman. This show and the USA in general need to do better...

• Like 3