DWTS30 Week 6 - Horror Night Discussion Thread!

*Wallace

Megan's Incredibly Unbiased and 100% Objective Review of Horror Night

I've never been biased in my entire life so this review is 100% objective. Never have I ever favored somebody in a reality tv show competition for being really hot or being gay. IN MY LIFE. Now that you know my credentials as a BASTION of objectivity I am ready to judge HORROR WEEK.

1. The Miz/Witney - PasoDoble (Hellraiser): It has been unfortunate for me this week to learn that I may like The Miz now. Unfortunate because 1) he's only 6'2 and my preferred height for men I stan is 6'4 or taller and 2) I've never really been a fan of Witney. Objectively of course. But this week was good. I'm not a fan of the "Wicked Games" cover (look Chris Izaak's is really sexy but doesn't fit so I guess I understand) and wish they had chosen a different song. He's not a perfect dancer but he brings a fun energy and an entertainment level that I appreciate. And I felt the choreography from Witney nailed the assignment. My Score: 8/10

2. Kenya/Brandon - Argentine Tango (Arachnophobia): Here's kind of where I get into my biggest complaint with the dances I wasn't thrilled about this week. For some performers like The Miz and Witney who just had excellent costuming they got a leg up for their characterization. And I don't think the pros get a lot of leeway in choosing songs so I hate faulting on that. But when it came to this routine, if not for the spiders running around and the web patterning on Kenya's dress (and Kenya looked STUNNING by the way), I would not have guessed this routine was inspired by Arachnophobia. I've mentioned previously that I also believe that Kenya and Brandon are mismatched. Anyway, the routine didn't feel spider-y and the choreography felt too slow for the song. There's no denying that Kenya is naturally a better dance than like every male contestant but aside from her Rumba last week (again which imagine her as Rizzo and like Gleb as Kenickie instead of Brandon! Elevates the routine!), I'm not too upset about her elimination now. My Score: 8/10

3. Jojo/Jenna - Jazz (It): Jojo is a professional dancer so I don't mind that if scoring is harsher on her to reflect that. But I also think that every week that means that she and Jenna really have to push their limits to make a special routine. And boy did Jenna and Jojo NAIL the assignment this week. They lucked out with getting a song that fit the movie and enhanced the horror elements of the routine. They also lucked out by getting just outstanding makeup and costuming. But Jojo's choreography looks like you take an eternal killer monster dressed as a clown from like the 40s and made them dance. And I cannot ask for more from horror week than that!!!!! 10/10

4. Cody/Cheryl - Cha-Cha (American Psycho): Why why. Why why why why why why why why why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why why why why why why why. WHY. Did they have Cody dress in the clear plastic raincoat and the axe just to have him take it off and dance to Kim Petras. There's literally an ICONIC moment in American Psycho with the same outfit to "Hip to Be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. If they are doing like PasoDobles to "Wicked Games" they can do a Cha-Cha to "Hip to Be Square." This was a disappointment and failure on every level of Horror Night. My Score: -10/10

5. Jimmie/Emma - Contemporary (A Quiet Place): Did you know that A Quiet Place won the Saturn Award for best horror over Us, Hereditary, and Halloween? Throw the Saturn Awards in the trash TBH. This made Jimmie cry. It did not make me cry. In the name of TRANSPARENCY I have to say that I am truly underwhelmed by A Quiet Place and also John Krasinski and I think those feelings translated to my MEH-ness regarding the dance. I do think that they danced well and that Emma has been giving us pretty good choreography all season. But I am overall just whelmed by this. Score: 8/10

6. Olivia/Val - PasoDoble (Purge): As a Purge fan. I was underwhelmed by this piece. But mostly for the reasons that I felt it lacked characterization. I wish Olivia had kept the mask on the entire time or didn't look so happy. And I wish Val had a look of terror or like psycopath glee on his face. But mostly. You can't explore the themes of a purge designed to get rid of all the poor and racialized people in rich largely white communities in a dance. Also, Val needs to be on the brink of elimination more often because this was his best choreography yet. Score: 8/10

7. Melora/Artem - Jive (Cujo): I wish that Melora and Olivia switched routines because I think Melora would have NAILED the characterization and choreo of Val's routine instead of the lackluster jive she was given. I think Sola said that this felt like a slo-mo jive and it did. I think while other dancers are being challenged, Artem just kept it too safe this week. Score: 8/10 (Apparently in week 6, 8/10 is my IT WAS FINE BUT I AM NOT BLOWN AWAY score)

8. Iman/Daniella - Contemporary (Us): Nailed it. Daniella week after week is giving some of the best choreography on this show despite having objectively the weakest dancer and Iman is rising to the occasion. Compared to the other celebs on this show, of course Iman isn't the strongest dancer, but each week I look forward to what he will dance and what new creative ways that Daniella is going to give him to have him lift her over his head. And when I look at the other male contestants and even pros, how many of them do you think Daniella is getting them to lift her literally all around the stage????? But also, this choreography just nailed it. It's not just the (frankly incredibly amazing lifts) but all the bits in between. I think Iman was genuinely thrilled to get Us for his movie night and the effort he put into his characterization shows. Jenna is lucky that I have like 8 years of investment into being her biggest fan because Daniella is winning my votes for most exciting pro on this show. Anyway, I think that there's a really good chance that this routine ends up being the most watched from the night and maybe the entire season and I wouldn't be mad. Score: 10/10

9. Suni/Sasha - Tango (The Vampire Diaries): I think it's unfortunate they got stuck with The Vampire Diaries even if I (like Suni) am a fan of the show (of course I had to tune out once they sent the Mikaelsons to their own show and start watching that one instead #Klaroline4Ever) (Rebekah was the best part of the show) (Nina Dobrev too so she had to leave and then they killed her). Anyway, I may have gotten vampire from that but certainly not The Vampire Diaries. I think the choreo was good but Suni really needs to put more into her stage presence. I think that is her biggest challenge and I think that's the only reason she ended up in the bottom this week is because that's the barrier she needs to break through. Score: 8/10

10. Amanda/Alan - Argentine Tango (Saw): I have only one complaint with this, in which it was otherwise a stellar routine, that would keep me, like half the judges, from giving this a perfect 10/10 and it's not nit-picky like Carrie Ann. I think Amanda should have been more puppet-y. If you look back at the really standout routines from this week (Jojo and Iman) the choreo really fit the character. It doesn't feel like choreo you can pick up and lift from theme to theme. Score: 9/10

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

9. Suni/Sasha - Tango (The Vampire Diaries): I think it's unfortunate they got stuck with The Vampire Diaries even if I (like Suni) am a fan of the show (of course I had to tune out once they sent the Mikaelsons to their own show and start watching that one instead #Klaroline4Ever) (Rebekah was the best part of the show) (Nina Dobrev too so she had to leave and then they killed her). Anyway, I may have gotten vampire from that but certainly not The Vampire Diaries. I think the choreo was good but Suni really needs to put more into her stage presence. I think that is her biggest challenge and I think that's the only reason she ended up in the bottom this week is because that's the barrier she needs to break through. Score: 8/10

I'd like to amend this. To include. That this dance was neither hot nor horny nor sad enough for the Vampire Diaries.

Really great review there, Megan!! 😄 

I'll probably rank the dances as the following:

1. JoJo & Jenna - Jazz

2. Amanda & Alan - Argentine Tango

3. Jimmie & Emma - Contemporary

4. Iman & Daniella - Contemporary

5. Olivia & Val - Paso Doble   

6. Suni & Sasha - Tango 
7. Cody & Cheryl - Cha-Cha

7. The Miz & Witney - Paso Doble 

9. Kenya & Brandon - Argentine Tango

10. Melora & Artem - Jive

This is all just one first watch. 5-6, 7-8 and 9-10 are interchangeable and could change on rewatch.

28 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Megan's Incredibly Unbiased and 100% Objective Review of Horror Night

I've never been biased in my entire life so this review is 100% objective. Never have I ever favored somebody in a reality tv show competition for being really hot or being gay. IN MY LIFE. Now that you know my credentials as a BASTION of objectivity I am ready to judge HORROR WEEK.

1. The Miz/Witney - PasoDoble (Hellraiser): It has been unfortunate for me this week to learn that I may like The Miz now. Unfortunate because 1) he's only 6'2 and my preferred height for men I stan is 6'4 or taller and 2) I've never really been a fan of Witney. Objectively of course. But this week was good. I'm not a fan of the "Wicked Games" cover (look Chris Izaak's is really sexy but doesn't fit so I guess I understand) and wish they had chosen a different song. He's not a perfect dancer but he brings a fun energy and an entertainment level that I appreciate. And I felt the choreography from Witney nailed the assignment. My Score: 8/10

2. Kenya/Brandon - Argentine Tango (Arachnophobia): Here's kind of where I get into my biggest complaint with the dances I wasn't thrilled about this week. For some performers like The Miz and Witney who just had excellent costuming they got a leg up for their characterization. And I don't think the pros get a lot of leeway in choosing songs so I hate faulting on that. But when it came to this routine, if not for the spiders running around and the web patterning on Kenya's dress (and Kenya looked STUNNING by the way), I would not have guessed this routine was inspired by Arachnophobia. I've mentioned previously that I also believe that Kenya and Brandon are mismatched. Anyway, the routine didn't feel spider-y and the choreography felt too slow for the song. There's no denying that Kenya is naturally a better dance than like every male contestant but aside from her Rumba last week (again which imagine her as Rizzo and like Gleb as Kenickie instead of Brandon! Elevates the routine!), I'm not too upset about her elimination now. My Score: 8/10

3. Jojo/Jenna - Jazz (It): Jojo is a professional dancer so I don't mind that if scoring is harsher on her to reflect that. But I also think that every week that means that she and Jenna really have to push their limits to make a special routine. And boy did Jenna and Jojo NAIL the assignment this week. They lucked out with getting a song that fit the movie and enhanced the horror elements of the routine. They also lucked out by getting just outstanding makeup and costuming. But Jojo's choreography looks like you take an eternal killer monster dressed as a clown from like the 40s and made them dance. And I cannot ask for more from horror week than that!!!!! 10/10

4. Cody/Cheryl - Cha-Cha (American Psycho): Why why. Why why why why why why why why why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why why why why why why why. WHY. Did they have Cody dress in the clear plastic raincoat and the axe just to have him take it off and dance to Kim Petras. There's literally an ICONIC moment in American Psycho with the same outfit to "Hip to Be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. If they are doing like PasoDobles to "Wicked Games" they can do a Cha-Cha to "Hip to Be Square." This was a disappointment and failure on every level of Horror Night. My Score: -10/10

5. Jimmie/Emma - Contemporary (A Quiet Place): Did you know that A Quiet Place won the Saturn Award for best horror over Us, Hereditary, and Halloween? Throw the Saturn Awards in the trash TBH. This made Jimmie cry. It did not make me cry. In the name of TRANSPARENCY I have to say that I am truly underwhelmed by A Quiet Place and also John Krasinski and I think those feelings translated to my MEH-ness regarding the dance. I do think that they danced well and that Emma has been giving us pretty good choreography all season. But I am overall just whelmed by this. Score: 8/10

6. Olivia/Val - PasoDoble (Purge): As a Purge fan. I was underwhelmed by this piece. But mostly for the reasons that I felt it lacked characterization. I wish Olivia had kept the mask on the entire time or didn't look so happy. And I wish Val had a look of terror or like psycopath glee on his face. But mostly. You can't explore the themes of a purge designed to get rid of all the poor and racialized people in rich largely white communities in a dance. Also, Val needs to be on the brink of elimination more often because this was his best choreography yet. Score: 8/10

7. Melora/Artem - Jive (Cujo): I wish that Melora and Olivia switched routines because I think Melora would have NAILED the characterization and choreo of Val's routine instead of the lackluster jive she was given. I think Sola said that this felt like a slo-mo jive and it did. I think while other dancers are being challenged, Artem just kept it too safe this week. Score: 8/10 (Apparently in week 6, 8/10 is my IT WAS FINE BUT I AM NOT BLOWN AWAY score)

8. Iman/Daniella - Contemporary (Us): Nailed it. Daniella week after week is giving some of the best choreography on this show despite having objectively the weakest dancer and Iman is rising to the occasion. Compared to the other celebs on this show, of course Iman isn't the strongest dancer, but each week I look forward to what he will dance and what new creative ways that Daniella is going to give him to have him lift her over his head. And when I look at the other male contestants and even pros, how many of them do you think Daniella is getting them to lift her literally all around the stage????? But also, this choreography just nailed it. It's not just the (frankly incredibly amazing lifts) but all the bits in between. I think Iman was genuinely thrilled to get Us for his movie night and the effort he put into his characterization shows. Jenna is lucky that I have like 8 years of investment into being her biggest fan because Daniella is winning my votes for most exciting pro on this show. Anyway, I think that there's a really good chance that this routine ends up being the most watched from the night and maybe the entire season and I wouldn't be mad. Score: 10/10

10. Amanda/Alan - Argentine Tango (Saw): I have only one complaint with this, in which it was otherwise a stellar routine, that would keep me, like half the judges, from giving this a perfect 10/10 and it's not nit-picky like Carrie Ann. I think Amanda should have been more puppet-y. If you look back at the really standout routines from this week (Jojo and Iman) the choreo really fit the character. It doesn't feel like choreo you can pick up and lift from theme to theme. Score: 9/10

I wonder why you gave Cody & Cheryl’s dance a perfect 10 if you really thought that it was a disappointment.

another thought… i want daniella to get paired with a female ringer at some point. jenna getting paired with jojo elevated her choreo because she had to accomodate lead switches and be more creative… just IMAGINE what daniella could come up with given the same opportunity 

• Like 3

Haven't watched the show since like week 1 I think but I saw Iman's dance bc it was blowing up all over twitter (last I checked it already had almost 2m views) and I was really really impressed. also Daniella is an amazing choreographer and once she gets an actual ringer a lot of people should be very scared.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ungodlyhour said:

the fact that daniella has slaughtered every single pro in the show's history with just 1.5 seasons of choreo with men who can't dance :dead:  she is literally untouchable

Master P & Daniella for DWTS All Stars 2 :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, totes4totes said:

Iman and Daniella's contemporary has officially surpassed Jojo and Jenna's jazz in Youtube views. 319K to 304K.

Oooh I just saw that. That's really incredible for Iman. :omg: But his dance is really talked about more than any dance of recent times that I can think of. 

4 minutes ago, ILuvCarrie4eva said:

I sort of want to Amanda to reprise that Argentine Tango if she makes the finale without the face makeup cause it was really spectacular. 

I rarely see a female attack an Argentine Tango like that and have great technique and sharpness.

Aww yeah I do really love Amanda's AT a ton.... I would have really loved seeing her do a more traditional AT as that would have been just as amazing.

i’ve probably rewatched amanda’s dance at least 10 times now :dead:  i’m not even a huge fan of her but i’m still stunned that 1) it didn’t get a 40 and 2) people aren’t talking about it more. definitely one of the best dances on this show in a few years 

• Like 2