DWTS30 Week 4, Night 1 - Disney Heroes Night Discussion Thread!

*Wallace

Suni is my girl and Im proud of her because this week was 100x better than last week but I do wish she would loosen up just a little bit more. Like Carrie-Ann said the execution of her moves is flawless, she just needs to let it flow a little bit more. But Im sure its hard with her training all her life to be perfect. Also love Sasha but he's overdoing the gymnastics. If he focused more on helping her feel the dance a little bit more rather than practicing doing gymnastics in heels her performance would probably be even better. Hoping she kills the Waltz tonight. Good thing is Sasha cant really insert a flip into a waltz. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

I think she's doing alright but just hasn't quite broken out of her shell yet, I hope it can happen soon. But yeah I think she's clearly very skilled in what she does and the adjustment I would imagine is quite overwhelming to start out! Some of the gymnasts seem to 'get it' pretty much instantly (I feel like Laurie is one of those) and some take a little more time. Hope she can get there!

You said it all exactly right here.

All of the gymnasts are good to great technical dancers, but it's the growth in performance levels and selling the dances that makes them differ. It can come naturally and quickly for some, but it can take longer fie others. I actually find this interesting in comparing the gymnasts to each other.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

It’s like finally everybody is coming over to my side: Gleb is not good

Lol most if thus site has been anti-Gleb, sans Alex. :dead:

Well I'm not anti-Gleb either, but I'm neutral lol.

52 minutes ago, Linds said:

I think his choreo has been decent this season but this week was by far his worst of the season. Mel C's performance was fun and animated in the spirit of Disney week but I thought the choreo was kind of a mess 

This.

I've been enjoying his choreo for Melanie this season, but last night was a miss.

But Jazz has never been Gleb's strong suit, so I won't hold this one completely against him. Although I won't on Mel either. :haha:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Linds said:

Suni is my girl and Im proud of her because this week was 100x better than last week but I do wish she would loosen up just a little bit more. Like Carrie-Ann said the execution of her moves is flawless, she just needs to let it flow a little bit more. But Im sure its hard with her training all her life to be perfect. Also love Sasha but he's overdoing the gymnastics. If he focused more on helping her feel the dance a little bit more rather than practicing doing gymnastics in heels her performance would probably be even better. Hoping she kills the Waltz tonight. Good thing is Sasha cant really insert a flip into a waltz. 

Agreed with everything you said here. :yes:

I'm really excited for her Viennese Waltz as I think this is the dance she can really excel at and have a standout moment with.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Agreed with everything you said here. :yes:

I'm really excited for her Viennese Waltz as I think this is the dance she can really excel at and have a standout moment with.

Yes. This is my hope tonight with her waltz. She is super graceful so I think it has the potential to be great. Fingers crossed that it will be a breakthrough dance for her

• Like 1

I will need to do a rewatch later on, but I would probably rank last night's dances as the following:

1. Melora & Artem - Quickstep 

2. Amanda & Alan - Rumba 

3. JoJo & Jenna - Viennese Waltz 

4. Olivia & Val - Samba

5. The Miz & Witney - Quickstep 

6. Suni & Sasha - Salsa

7. Jimmie & Emma - Paso Doble 

8. Kenya & Brandon - Contemporary 

9. Melanie & Gleb - Jazz 

10. Cody & Cheryl - Jive

11. Matt & Lindsay - Quickstep 

12. Iman & Daniella - Foxtrot 

13. Brian & Sharna - Waltz

I think 4-6 and 9-11 are interchangeable and the trickiest to rank, especially the latter ones which are kinda all tied.  :haha:

Wasnt able to watch live last night, but the episode seemed pretty decent. Obviously the Mickey Mouse Challenge was a mess but Im glad to see all of us here agree on that lol.

One thing I love about this show is that nobody would have ever predicted pre-season that on Disney Night, the queen of the college admissions scandal herself, Olivia Jade, would manage to tie scores with near-professional dancer Jojo Siwa. And at that, they would both be topped by Jan from The Office 😂 

That being said, all 3 of them slayed and Im glad Melora had a breakout moment! I thought she was overrated on here in the past but now Im starting to see what you all have seen in her.

The rest of the women were obviously all iconic per usual. I will say that Mel C, Suni, and Kenya are kind of lacking the star factor and stage presence when you compare them to the likes of Jojo and Melora. However, they are still great dancers. For the men, Jimmie and Iman are slightly starting to grow on me. I still dont want them outlasting the women tho 😭

Edited by m1key

I think this show needs to lower their expectations of these gymnasts who are plucked out of a training environment where they're expected to strive for nothing but perfection their whole lives and dropped into a dance competition that's pretty much the opposite of everything they've ever been taught. Not all of them have the bubbly personality of a Laurie Hernandez. Of course it's gonna take them a while to loosen up after being told otherwise their whole lives.

Suni is good. I think she could have a great moment with her Viennese Waltz, which is more in her wheelhouse than the party Latin dances or a Foxtrot to I'm a Slave 4 U.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

I think this show needs to lower their expectations of these gymnasts who are plucked out of a training environment where they're expected to strive for nothing but perfection their whole lives and dropped into a dance competition that's pretty much the opposite of everything they've ever been taught. Not all of them have the bubbly personality of a Laurie Hernandez. Of course it's gonna take them a while to loosen up after being told otherwise their whole lives.

Suni is good. I think she could have a great moment with her Viennese Waltz, which is more in her wheelhouse than the party Latin dances or a Foxtrot to I'm a Slave 4 U.

Sipping Kermit The Frog GIF

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:01 AM, .Rei said:

Olivia is great and you are all just haters 🙂

I personally agree, but I think that I know why Diana and others dislike Olivia so much: the scandal involving her mother.  I don’t think that she should be judged on what her mother did (which is why I chose her as one of my draft picks), but others probably don’t agree.

Or maybe we just don’t think she’s as good as the judges are hyping her up to be? 🙂 Nothing to do with the admission scandal, I just don’t *get* it and think it’s another example of the judges loving a Val partner just because. (See: Ginger Zee, Monica Aldama).

Olivia is good, but I think the judges giving that badly choreographed Jazz from Villains night a 35 is too much. Other badly choreographed Jazz routines in past seasons were critiqued harshly and given the 6’s they deserved, why can’t they do the same with Olivia’s?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I could say the same for your disliking Kenya for zero reason either? How about you keep my name out of it before we have a problem. I have every right to be annoyed that she is being overscored. I can judge her for whatever I please.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

Or maybe we just don’t think she’s as good as the judges are hyping her up to be? 🙂 Nothing to do with the admission scandal, I just don’t *get* it and think it’s another example of the judges loving a Val partner just because. (See: Ginger Zee, Monica Aldama).

Olivia is good, but I think the judges giving that badly choreographed Jazz from Villains night a 35 is too much. Other badly choreographed Jazz routines in past seasons were critiqued harshly and given the 6’s they deserved, why can’t they do the same with Olivia’s?

lord-this.gif

25 minutes ago, *Diana said:

Well I could say the same for your disliking Kenya for zero reason either? How about you keep my name out of it before we have a problem. I have every right to be annoyed that she is being overscored. I can judge her for whatever I please.

All right, I’ll keep your name out.  Sorry.

That said, I didn’t like Kenya because of how she acted on Celebrity Apprentice.  On here, she’s consistently better than the three guys who were eliminated, so I’m glad that she stayed.

I think that with Olivia, I might have agree to disagree with you about her being not as good as the judges think, at least on the Samba.  I do agree about Ginger being over-scored, however.

Edited by CarmenSandiego