Megan's Top Routines of All Time (Currently ranking: Season 14)

On 7/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, buffmetube said:

The genre definitely peaked way early on this show.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:27 AM, FrogLenzen said:

Oh Doriana... she pretty much stopped trying to make good routines and instead tried to make crazy spectacles and torture the dancers. I think she even straight up said "this is about trying to top ourselves" in one of the rehearsals lol. I think Janette/Brandon and Tiffany/Brandon are the few couples past Season 3 that achieved what Doriana was trying to do, but yeah it has usually either been a pure struggle or just really derivative. God forbid we let anyone else choreograph the genre

Yah I think Derek is right. Tbh after Jessica BROKE HER RIBS via the disco and had to withdraw there should have been some serious talks about the content of Doriana’s routines. Instead it’s just been blah. I forgot about Brandon’s two routines and agree those are the only two since Season 3 that have been what Doriana envisions. 

But again I have the exact same critique with Salsa, in both styles there’s been so much emphasis on doing these cool tricks that the content of the dance has been completely lost. Like this week there’s no reason Essence and Keaton with their personalities and charisma couldn’t have had a fun goofy disco. But because Essence hasn’t been used to being lifted instead of working on the steps and partner work all of the work had to be put into making sure she wouldn’t be seriously injured in those lifts. Imagine that same disco but with like one really cool lift. The routine gets SO MUCH better.

• Like 1

re-watching season 12 and some crimes from episode 1:

alexis, yorelis, and virgil given choreo to "locked out of heaven" by a couple of cancelled choreographers

pairing gaby with derek and moises

darion and lily getting eliminated first over ariana and moises

lol them putting lily, jaja, b1, and asaf in the only four person group because they are all INTERNATIONAL. they could have had a B-boy duo and a popping duo but we needed to have a contemporary and a ballet duet obviously.

the lighting. lily performing almost entirely in the dark because the light isn't correct, darion and jim being washed out by their light multiple times.

the camera work

district 78

lol not casting a SINGLE ballroom or salsa dancer

casting asaf

4 hours ago, totes4totes said:

alexis, yorelis, and virgil given choreo to "locked out of heaven" by a couple of cancelled choreographers

lol them putting lily, jaja, b1, and asaf in the only four person group because they are all INTERNATIONAL. they could have had a B-boy duo and a popping duo but we needed to have a contemporary and a ballet duet obviously.

the lighting. lily performing almost entirely in the dark because the light isn't correct, darion and jim being washed out by their light multiple times.

the camera work

district 78

casting asaf

omg I just finished a S12 re-watch. I was coming here to talk about my S13 adventures so far (tl;dr there's a lot of dabbing but Kida ate these other kids)

The casting on S12 was so wack. All they had to do was keep Antonina and then Denys wouldn't have quit and we'd have great ballroom representation. Denys saw the writing on the wall with Travis and Twitch there and no Mary Murphy. Obviously this season should have had 3 teams and had Lacey in charge of the ballroom team with Denys, Antonina, Brandon Armstrong, etc. It doesn't help that Allen Genkin also injured himself but whatever. 

Hurrikane pulling out and leaving us with Asaf is another one of those "what if" moments of the series

9 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

omg I just finished a S12 re-watch. I was coming here to talk about my S13 adventures so far (tl;dr there's a lot of dabbing but Kida ate these other kids)

The casting on S12 was so wack. All they had to do was keep Antonina and then Denys wouldn't have quit and we'd have great ballroom representation. Denys saw the writing on the wall with Travis and Twitch there and no Mary Murphy. Obviously this season should have had 3 teams and had Lacey in charge of the ballroom team with Denys, Antonina, Brandon Armstrong, etc. It doesn't help that Allen Genkin also injured himself but whatever. 

Hurrikane pulling out and leaving us with Asaf is another one of those "what if" moments of the series

Oh yeah. Kida was the clear winner. I think it helps that he was one of the oldest as well.

Yes! We really could have. SMH. Yah, the idea was that stage and street would also have ballroom and salsa/Argentine Tango (maybe disco lol) respectively but clearly that didn't happen because that was such a secondary thought.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, totes4totes said:

Jenna for some reason being used as a contemporary All-Star

hilarious because jenna was the all-star for child jake and then used again for contemporary when all-stars like kathryn were RIGHT THERE. i forget what the rules of the week were.

• totes4totes changed the title to Megan's Top Routines of All Time (Currently ranking: Season 14)
On 7/17/2022 at 9:11 PM, totes4totes said:

the camera work

district 78

casting asaf

more crimes:

marissa and asaf's cha-cha

megz having to dance a hip-hop with moises and jim

megz having to dance a hip-hop with derek

CIRCUS FISH

kate having to dance with Asaf TWICE

B1 getting eliminated before Asaf

Lily and B1 having to dance in TWO quartets

CompHet

Ralyn/Beau - Jazz: This was exactly Beau's first routine just again with different choreography.

Essence/Keaton - Disco: See all comments I've made about Disco in this thread already.

Anna/Waverly - Jazz: They should not have been eliminated on the basis of the fact that THEIR CHOREOGRAPHER WAS NOT EVEN IN THE ROOM. WHAT THE HELL. If Sean Cheesman was sick they should have done an 80s hip-hop. I know they have Luther Brown ON THE PHONE AT ALL TIMES. Hell once they got POPIN' PETE.

Alexis/Carter - Contemporary: I am FUMING that they got CONTEMPORARY AKA a style that wasn't really a named dance style until the mid-2000s. They should have just called this lyrical. And what does ROBERT know about the 90s. When he was a little baby. Also. If they are going to do a song from the 90s for contemporary they should have done TITANIC and Carter should have been FREEZING TO DEATH ON A DOOR while Alexis is sadly ALSO FREEZING to "My Heart Will Go On." What they REALLY should have done is a 90s hip-hop routine but this show is so afraid of doing a hip-hop without a corny concept that involves like Frankenstein that they WILL NOT. Four dancers this season have done hip-hop and only one of them is left. TRAGIC.

I didn't enjoy S12 at all tbh. :stealth: I think it's one of my least favourite US seasons. I appreciated that they tried something new with the format. but a majority of the most talented dancers like Kate, JJ, Yorelis have been eliminated early and we have been left with really mediocre contestants and the routines weren't really memorable either.

17 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Ralyn/Beau - Jazz: This was exactly Beau's first routine just again with different choreography.

Alexis/Carter - Contemporary: I am FUMING that they got CONTEMPORARY AKA a style that wasn't really a named dance style until the mid-2000s. They should have just called this lyrical. And what does ROBERT know about the 90s. When he was a little baby. Also. If they are going to do a song from the 90s for contemporary they should have done TITANIC and Carter should have been FREEZING TO DEATH ON A DOOR while Alexis is sadly ALSO FREEZING to "My Heart Will Go On." What they REALLY should have done is a 90s hip-hop routine but this show is so afraid of doing a hip-hop without a corny concept that involves like Frankenstein that they WILL NOT. Four dancers this season have done hip-hop and only one of them is left. TRAGIC.

Literally what I was thinking, I was wondering if it's just me or have I seen it somewhere else lol

:rofl:Omg the drowning contemporary would have been amazing

But yeah they definitely should have done an old school Hip Hop, that was a missed opportunity. :(

Edited by Erestor

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Erestor said:

I didn't enjoy S12 at all tbh. :stealth: I think it's one of my least favourite US seasons. I appreciated that they tried something new with the format. but a majority of the most talented dancers like Kate, JJ, Yorelis have been eliminated early and we have been left with really mediocre contestants and the routines weren't really memorable either.

I think I originally was pretty jazzed for it and overall after watching it had some very good routines. But it also started the severe lack of ballroom that we'd see for the rest of the show. I think it feels better than it is because it's sandwiched between 11 and 13.

I think I'd place it overall solidly in the middle.

Edited by totes4totes

8 minutes ago, Erestor said:

Literally what I was thinking, I was wondering if it's just me or have I seen it somewhere else lol

:rofl:Omg the drowning contemporary would have been amazing

But yeah they definitely should have done an old school Hip Hop, that was a missed opportunity. :(

It's because all "broadway" on this show is all like 40s/50s inspired jazz to old standards. So when he got this it literally felt like the same routine!

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN INCREDIBLE.

They've done like two old school hip-hop routines in the show's run that I can remember off the top of my head: Danny/Sara in season 3 and Fik-Shun/Dassy in Season 14.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:37 AM, FrogLenzen said:

All they had to do was keep Antonina and then Denys wouldn't have quit and we'd have great ballroom representation. Denys saw the writing on the wall with Travis and Twitch there and no Mary Murphy. Obviously this season should have had 3 teams and had Lacey in charge of the ballroom team with Denys, Antonina, Brandon Armstrong, etc. 

Please, the last thing we’d need is to suffer through another season of Denys. 🤮

20 hours ago, totes4totes said:

CIRCUS FISH

B1 getting eliminated before Asaf

Honestly the Sexy Fish routine was worth for Ariana’s death glare at Nigel the entire episode. She knew she was getting bussed and truly gave no f*cks.

still pressed over this. 

4 hours ago, totes4totes said:

:dead: :dead:

16 hours ago, Elliott said:

Please, the last thing we’d need is to suffer through another season of Denys. 🤮

THIS IS A PRO-DENYS SPACE AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Elliott said:

Honestly the Sexy Fish routine was worth for Ariana’s death glare at Nigel the entire episode. She knew she was getting bussed and truly gave no f*cks.

still pressed over this. 

LOLOLOL. TBH I think JJ and Kate could have TURNED OUT the Sexy Fish routine.

sytycd 14:

- "how many contemporaries do we need week 1? we have 10 routines...so four????? well and then let's make like two group routines contemporary as well we gotta keep the balance up"

- it is RUDE to have robert in this stepping routine. also it is RUDE to not just let the ladies STEP.

- I am still EXTREMELY mad that Robert Green was eliminated FIRST. The tinfoil hat on my head still says it's because Nigel cannot handle an openly flamboyantly gay black man. Logan AND Sydney were RIGHT THERE.

- unfortunate for Kaylee and Cyrus to dance to the same song as Robert's audition which was so good and so creative and this routine is just...this. Remember how these choreographers were so bad they made me long for NAPPYTABS. (I say as the resident NUMBER 1 NappyTabs HATER)

- KIKI AND JENNA'S HIP-HOP IS ICONIC AND I WILL GIVE IT NO NOTES AND TAKE NO DISCUSSION OTHERWISE

- I'm not like shocked that Lex and Taylor dated, I'm more shocked that Lex is such a genuinely interesting and creative dancer and Taylor is just fine.

- TBH Comfort and Mark have the best Ray Leeper routine in like 6 seasons

- HOT TAKE just go back to calling contemporary lyrical unless you have something that's actually interesting and contemporary.

- Robert is like so handsome. He's also given the MOST BORING routines on this entire show.

- I CANNOT fathom still why Allison chose Logan.

- maybe they should always have Val around to temper Doriana's disco routines because the disco group is one of my faves

Not here for the Logan shade. :kissbye:

Are Lex and Taylor still dating?

I'm surprised they decided to bring Robert as an All-Star, but good for him! I think he's gonna be a great partner for Hip-Hop.

1 hour ago, Erestor said:

Not here for the Logan shade. :kissbye:

Are Lex and Taylor still dating?

I'm surprised they decided to bring Robert as an All-Star, but good for him! I think he's gonna be a great partner for Hip-Hop.

Logan is fine. It's just that she was the oldest all-star and chose the youngest contestant. It just made their differences in age and maturity really stand out (I think of their lyrical hip-hop where it literally seemed like Logan was super excited to take his older sister on a date). That's literally my only issue. I think on a regular season or when Logan was dancing with contestants he was fine.

I do not think so. If they are it's not nearly as obvious as when they were on the show. But they don't really post pics of each other on IG anymore.

I think he'll be great (dancing with Essence) and hopefully they get a good choreographer that can really bring out something good between them. (...and maybe for once we will get a hip-hop/hip-hop routine that can match the heights of Comfort/tWitch).