DWTS 30 Week 1 Discussion Thread

*Lily

Ah it’s a shame Jenna slipped because that was so amazing otherwise! What a moment, in DWTS history :wub:

Honestly everyone in this cast showed either great or some potential I thought! Except for Martin lol but really fun premiere!

• Like 2

Just now, Walker359718 said:

Is this the first time in DWTS history where on the judges' scoreboard, all the women were above all the men?  I've never seen this happen before.

S1’s finale where Kelly was above John O’Hurley on the leaderboard ❤️

• Haha 5

Very fun and exciting electrifying dance from JoJo & Jenna. Great energy. Lots of sharp, precise and on point technique there. :yes:

Yikes at the part where Jenna fell. :( But thankfully they kept the dance going.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

S1’s finale where Kelly was above John O’Hurley on the leaderboard ❤️

But I think this is the first time it's ever happened this early in the season.  And with 15 couples, no less!

Edited by Walker359718

Just now, totes4totes said:

hello plz tell 2013 me stanning jenna johnson on this board that in 2021 she'd be in the first same sex partnership on us dancing with the stars ❤️

Me realizing S10 was eight years ago:

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

Just now, *Lily said:

Wow Carrie Ann saw my prediction of Amanda and Suni topping the leaderboard and said ‘lemme ruin this real quick’ huh

Meanwhile I predicted Jojo closing the show, topping the leaderboard with a 29, and Carrie being the first judge to give an 8. ❤️

• Like 2

Amanda seemed to score a bit too high for my liking tonight 👀

Kamala Harris Debate GIF by Election 2020

(Yes she's my IDF It Girl hate figure of the season, no I did not watch a single second of her dance or the episode, and no I will not take any further questions at this time)

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

(Yes she's my IDF It Girl hate figure of the season, no I did not watch a single second of her dance or the episode, and no I will not take any further questions at this time)

As the token IDF It Girl hater every year, I think her score was fine. :haha:

Jojo and Jenna were great but i also low key felt like they wanted their same sex partnership to be in the lead instead of a 3 way tie hence the 8 not til the end lol.

but everyone did good! Very proud of the ladies especially so much poetential there 

This was a pretty solid premiere episode. The women were stronger for sure. But I don't think the men were too bad. Everyone except Michael had some kind of potential. This should be a tight, great and competitive year! :yes:

20 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Omg, I had a feeling Amanda would be that type for you. She seems a total anti-Alex type. 🤣

25 minutes ago, Walker359718 said:

But I think this is the first time it's ever happened this early in the season.

Yeah, but Kelly Monaco being above John O'Hurley on the leaderboard for S1's finale was the most iconic of all the times its happened ❤️

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

You say this like America doesn't live white men having a ~growth arc~

Or non-existent growth arc in David Ross and Bobby Bones' case

At first glance, 24 out of 40 (or all 6's) doesn't look that impressive in my books...

But then again, when compared to the other scores that came in tonight, a 24 isn't necessarily bad, and the scoring might just be a case of the judges calling a tight game...

~My Dancing with the Stars 30 Week 1 Review~

Preface- Dancing is back! Glad to see some audience back and to have a really nice, even playing field of celebs. For the first time ever, all the female celebs scored higher than the male celebs on the premiere!

1. Mel C/Gleb (Cha Cha) 27/40: I’m really excited to see her this season! Spice Girls were one of my favorites growing up and she’s still living up to her sporty name. I really want Gleb to challenge her because she has the fan base and the ability to go all the way. My score: 28/40

2. The Miz/Witney (Cha Cha) 24/40: He’s probably one of the more promising male celebs. He has a personality the demographic loves and has some natural ability. He just needs to work on finesse. My score: 25/40

3. Iman/Daniella (Jive) 21/40: I don’t know what the heck Carrie Ann saw in the dance. It wasn’t awful but it was just kind of, bleh for me. My score: 21/40

4. Olivia/Val (Salsa) 25/40: Olivia has some natural ability and she seemed more much confident than I expected her to be. Salsa is an easier dance than some other more technical ones so I’m looking forward to seeing more, but I worry her past will lose her votes. My score: 25/40

5. Jimmy/Emma (Foxtrot) 21/40: Jimmy is another male with the potential to get better. This dance was alright, but it seemed like some of the technique could’ve been a little smoother. My score: 23/40

6. Melora/Artem (Tango) 26/40: Melora is giving me hardcore Lea Thompson vibes (older actress, with a ballet type of background, also with Artem). She’s also giving me dark horse vibes, but I wanna see her tackle a Latin dance to completely sell me. My score: 26/40

7. Suni/Sasha (Jive) 28/40: Suni has everything it takes to win this show. She has the ability, But her struggle will be like many of the gymnasts have which is performance ability. If Sasha can really pull it out of her, she will thrive. My score: 28/40

8. Cody/Cheryl (Tango) 24/40: There was a lot of talk of Cody being a ringer, formally being a back up dancer, but I’ll admit this routine left me underwhelmed. I’m sure other dances might suit him better, but so far, I need more from him. My score: 24/40

9. Amanda/Alan (Tango) 28/40: Amanda is someone that can be a frontrunner fi she can maintain this momentum and really get the votes, because she has the technique and she’s a good performer. I’m excited to see her dance more! My score: 28/40

10. Martin/Britt (Paso Doble) 13/40: Well, this was a case where I wish we had an elimination on the premiere. My score: 12/40

11. Kenya/Brandon (Foxtrot) 26/40: I’ll admit that I expected her to not dance well at all. Housewives usually have the tendency to be kind of blasé and not exciting but Kenya did really well. My score: 26/40

12. Christine/Pasha (Tango) 25/40: I love how excited she is to do the show and she seems game for the whole experience and parts of her dance looked really nice. I think she got hampered by a bad song choice for a Tango, but she has massive potential. My score: 25/40

13. Matt/Lindsay (Cha Cha) 24/40: The men of Bachelor Nation seem to struggle to get super far because I don’t any of them are dancers like some of the women were like Kaitlyn, Melissa or Hannah, but he surely will have the votes to go far, but will his dancing merit it? My score: 24/40

14. Brian/Sharna (Foxtrot) 24/40: He’s not bad, but I’m already sick of the “real life couple dancing together” storyline. My score: 24/40

15. Jojo/Jenna (Quickstep) 29/40: I love her, her energy is infectious, but she gives me Sabrina Bryan vibes in that she needs to just calm down a bit and get more refinement and control in her dancing. My score: 28/40

Here’s my comments as I’m watching:

I’m surprised that Derek gave Mel C. a lower score than Len!  That’s unheard of!

The score was about right for the Miz.  He will probably get pretty far.

The 4 was somewhat too low, and the 7 was definitely too high!  But not quite as bad as I feared.

I hope that Olivia Jade can overcome the scandal to get as far as she deserves, since she did well.

The score for Jimmie was about right.  He wasn’t quite as good as Olivia.

Melora probably deserved her score.  She was better than Jimmie and about as good as Olivia.

Yay, Suni did awesome!  My girl was the best so far!  :wub:

Cody was surprisingly stiff.  Maybe he won’t do as well as I thought.

Amanda is currently ahead in the battle of the Tangos.  Great job!

I definitely did not expect any 3’s!  But that was fair.  Martin was a real train wreck!  But at least he tried.

Kenya was pretty good but not great.

Hmm, maybe Christine will do better than I thought.  Very good and she can improve.

Matt wasn’t bad but he’s not good enough to get near the finale, let alone win.

Brian was good but that might have been in part because Sharna was his partner and girlfriend.

Poor Jenna!  She and JoJo did great and she had a good recovery but Carrie Ann should have given them a 7.

Edited by CarmenSandiego
  • Like 1