SYTYCD Worldwide Rankdown

FrogLenzen

6a00e553de2eb58834014e8bafbda7970d-600wi

Danny Arbour

Originally I thought these noms were NBD and then I see that I wanted to save like 5 people and only cut like three people 😭😭😭. Anyway. So hopefully there’s few enough people that got cut this round that I can bring some of them back.

Danny was from the first Canadian season and is a ballroom dancer. He was paired with Allie Bertram and I believe made it all the way to Top 10. Yes that’s right. Francis was UNJUSTLY cut at Top 12 despite being the better ballroom dancer (though I may concede under duress that Danny was better at other genres). I believe that he and Allie had a jive and a quickstep that I quite liked. But their hip-hop which landed them in the bottom was not good. Danny went on to be eliminated after his SECOND mambo of the season which means that in his six weeks he danced: a jive, a quickstep, a contemporary, a hip-hop, and TWO mambos. Quite an easy run for a ballroom dancer. TBH the American version should have been like that. I guess the American version would have to acknowledge that contemporary dancing isn’t the superior art form first. 

Saving Francis

Edited by totes4totes

Blake McGrath

Musa Cooper

Melissa Vella

AdéChiké Torbert

Kate Harpootlian

Mark Villaver

Bailey Muñoz 

Marcin Mroziński

Miguel Pereira Carneiro

Agata Stachowiak

@sublymonal @*Amanda @Deeee @Elliott @JC

24 hours is long gone lol. You're allowed to ask for extensions! Anyway, it's a weekend in December so I understand. Officially y'all have until noon Eastern Monday unless you ask for more.

Bailey Muñoz 

Bailey-Munoz.jpg

Look, any time I have the opportunity to cut a Season 16 dancer, I will take it, because that season was just the worst. Although Bailey is a fine winner for that season. I'm glad we avoided a scenario where Sophie won. He was partnered with Mariah and the show really tried to drum up the fact that he loved Mariah and look, can we not? It was really super cringey. They were okay together. I think I liked their Contemporary to "Slide"? Tempo became incredibly overrated and the rest of their routines were awful. His two best routines were the Broadway with Koine and Hip-Hop with Comfort. And what do you know, those were both danced with mature and experienced all-stars rather than a fellow 18 year old. As you can see, I really was not a fan of the entire cast being teenagers (except for Madison who was 21). But yeah, he was a fine winner in context of the season but he's really not that great when you stack him up against the all-time greats.

SAVING: Marcin Mrozinski

Kate Harpootlian

Kate_Harpootlian_HS_4_1.jpeg

I legit did not know who she was and liked all the other dancers I knew from the US seasons, but I am glad I am cutting her because she is actually from a US season and I just do not know who she is. I thought she was like a Polish or Dutch dancer that I had no idea of. Anyways, she was on season 12 and made it all the way to top 8 yet I am still confused on how the heck I do not recognize her or her name lolol. She was a contemporary dancer and auditioned in Dallas Texas.

Save Mark

MELISSA VELLA (US1, CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ, EIGHTH)

Melissa+Picture.jpg

Melissa is a pretty solid contestant. However, she suffers from being part of the less-exciting first season ever. Season 1 actually has a lot of good quality dances, but very few are extraordinary. Melissa just happens to be part of many good, but not fantastic dances. She started the competition partnered with Ryan C., dancing first a Mambo and then a Salsa with him. Mambo is probably her least good dance of the season, which she got out of the way during the first week. Her performance in the Salsa is actually pretty good and showed off her versatility. During the third week, Melissa partnered with Artem. This is when she starts to shine. Her Paso Doble routine with Artem is definitely her strongest dance of the season. I definitely feel like there are better Paso Doble routines over the years, but this one set the bar pretty high, being the first ever of its kind and all. The following week Melissa danced both a Pop and Quickstep with Artem. Always felt like IDF overrated the Pop routine, but it is good. Quickstep routine is also good, but nothing exciting or memorable. Melissa at this point soared to the Top 8 without ever falling in the bottom, but she would be the first ~Top 8 shock boot~ in SYTYCD history. But not so shocking because she had her weakest night in the competition that week. She partnered with Jamile for a Hip-Hop and Paso Doble. The Hip-Hop routine is good, but not memorable. And compared to her first Paso Doble, her second one with Jamile is a huge disappointment and a step backwards. She landed in the bottom against Ashlé and was rightfully eliminated instead of the queen. Melissa was definitely better than Melody and Kamilah, but she never produced a standout, memorable routine like either of them did. Anyways. Sorry to make this cut, but I prefer a few others in this list over Melissa. 

SAVING: Agata Stachowiak

ADÉCHIKÉ TORBERT

AdéChiké Torbert was a contemporary dancer from the seventh season of So You Think You Can Dance. He ultimately made it to fourth place, being eliminated one week shy of the finale. His elimination was his first appearance in the B3/B2, and he was up against the far better Robert Roldan. All things considered, I probably wouldn't have put AdéChiké in the top four, but with Melinda being bussed by the judges and Alex & Ashley being injured, the options were him, Billy Bell and José, so it is what it is. Despite all that, I do remember the judges - Mia Michaels - in particular being unnecessarily harsh at him in his final few weeks, which led to the iconic moment of Cat Deeley calling them out on their hypocrisy. I also really enjoyed his lyrical hip-hop with Queen Comfort Fedoke, and his contemporary with Kent Boyd (obviously).

SAVE: Blake McGrath

1 hour ago, Deeee said:

Melissa is a pretty solid contestant. However, she suffers from being part of the less-exciting first season ever. Season 1 actually has a lot of good quality dances, but very few are extraordinary. Melissa just happens to be part of many good, but not fantastic dances. She started the competition partnered with Ryan C., dancing first a Mambo and then a Salsa with him. Mambo is probably her least good dance of the season, which she got out of the way during the first week. Her performance in the Salsa is actually pretty good and showed off her versatility. During the third week, Melissa partnered with Artem. This is when she starts to shine. Her Paso Doble routine with Artem is definitely her strongest dance of the season. I definitely feel like there are better Paso Doble routines over the years, but this one set the bar pretty high, being the first ever of its kind and all. The following week Melissa danced both a Pop and Quickstep with Artem. Always felt like IDF overrated the Pop routine, but it is good. Quickstep routine is also good, but nothing exciting or memorable. Melissa at this point soared to the Top 8 without ever falling in the bottom, but she would be the first ~Top 8 shock boot~ in SYTYCD history. But not so shocking because she had her weakest night in the competition that week. She partnered with Jamile for a Hip-Hop and Paso Doble. The Hip-Hop routine is good, but not memorable. And compared to her first Paso Doble, her second one with Jamile is a huge disappointment and a step backwards. She landed in the bottom against Ashlé and was rightfully eliminated instead of the queen. Melissa was definitely better than Melody and Kamilah, but she never produced a standout, memorable routine like either of them did. Anyways. Sorry to make this cut, but I prefer a few others in this list over Melissa. 

Melissa is a fair cut all things considered, but the fact that she made it to the Top 8 and never once danced her style AS A CONTEMPORARY DANCER is absolutely insane.