How the season 19 finale should have gone

Sachin Jain

How the season 19 finale should have gone.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have gotten 5th

• Ian Flanigan
    • Jim Ranger
    • John Holiday
    • Carter Rubin
    • DeSz
  2. 2. Who should of gotten 4th?

• Ian Flanigan
    • Jim Ranger
    • John Holiday
    • Carter Rubin
    • DeSz
  3. 3. Who should have won?

• Ian Flanigan
    • Jim Ranger
    • John Holiday
    • Carter Rubin
    • DeSz

Even though I know John is not the most well liked here tone wise, still surprised he's 5th. Is everyone basing this just on their finale performances or their entire run?

If it's the former then I agree.

I do agree Jim was the best during finale night, and one of the best in semis.

Based ONLY on finale night

1. Jim

2. Carter/Desz

3. Carter/Desz

4. Ian

5. John

Based on overall run

1. Desz

2. Carter

3. Jim

4. John

5. Ian

All I’ll say is that Desz not making the final three is side-eye worthy considering her overall run on the show (though by not winning she gets out of the Republic Records contract, which might be a good thing). Carter is an impressive vocalist for his age and had several strong performances, particularly in the KOs and semifinals, so I wasn’t too mad to see him win. Jim had the best finale night of the group, but the only other week I didn’t mind him was the KOs. When picking between John and Ian for fourth vs. fifth, I gave John the edge even though I preferred Ian’s tone since John’s crazy technical skills are hard to overlook, and I felt that Ian’s song choices held him back a little bit at points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, colemanftw said:

Too weak performances in the finale to give her the win, imo.

Disagree, her performance of her original song was on point. (Especially considering that original songs on this show are usually lame)

If we are really going to take in account only the finale performances, then Carter shouldn't have won, but ok  :stealth:

1 minute ago, Gustavo527 said:

Disagree, her performance of her original song was on point. (Especially considering that original songs on this show are usually lame)

If we are really going to take in account only the finale performances, then Carter shouldn't have won, but ok  :stealth:

I never said weak vocally but both performances were just decent, forgettable. Same can be said for Carter. I never said he deserved to win.

1 minute ago, colemanftw said:

I never said weak vocally but both performances were just decent, forgettable. Same can be said for Carter. I never said he deserved to win.

I wouldn't call this only a "decent" performances. It's just that DeSz' set up the bar really high for herself with her previous performances that this one seems to be only "decent" for you. Yeah, maybe is decent for her standards, but it was still one of the best performances of the night.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I wouldn't call this only a "decent" performances. It's just that DeSz' set up the bar really high for herself with her previous performances that this one seems to be only "decent" for you. Yeah, maybe is decent for her standards, but it was still one of the best performances of the night.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

It depends on how you look at it. Vocally, this wasn’t amazing. It was actually quite frustrating because she was just a hair shy of hitting the note, multiple times. 😭 I had the same problem with one of Grace Kinstler’s performances on Idol and both ladies were in my Top 5 on their respective seasons (so don’t come at me and say I’m hating. 👀) If you’re looking for passion and emotion, that was clearly there. She put her heart into that song. Out of the performances that night, I’d say it was in the middle of the pack. 

For me, it went like this:

Carter kinda fumbled a bit on finale week. He managed to get through it, but this was definitely his weakest night for me. Fortunately for him, the work was already done. He didn´t even need to perform that night and he still would have won. 

Jim dissappointed me throughout the season based on the expectations I had for him pre-lives. (Except for his KO, and maybe his SF), but his finale cover was all around great, and easily the best performance of the night in my opinion. That would have given him the win if we only counted performances on finale night.

Ian´s tone was my favorite of the season, and his original song was the best of the bunch for me, but at the end, he didn´t really bring anything new for the finale night.

I actually enjoyed Desz´s Fleetwood Mac performance. It was subtle and well done, probably my second favorite performance of the night, but her original did nothing for me. 

As for John, I´ll just say that wasn´t his night.

Overall, a weak finale for me.

Edited by Misirlou

25 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

It depends on how you look at it. Vocally, this wasn’t amazing. It was actually quite frustrating because she was just a hair shy of hitting the note, multiple times. 😭 I had the same problem with one of Grace Kinstler’s performances on Idol and both ladies were in my Top 5 on their respective seasons (so don’t come at me and say I’m hating. 👀) If you’re looking for passion and emotion, that was clearly there. She put her heart into that song. Out of the performances that night, I’d say it was in the middle of the pack. 

Ok, i'm re-listening right now and i can get what you are saying here. I still loved it tho, because of exactly what you said at the end, she put a lot of passion and emotion in that song, she really made me feel that it was HER song.  So, it was easy to me to ignore the rough parts of her vocals, which made me be very biased about the actual quality of her performance.

• Like 1