Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

12. Captain America: Civil War

-1462567790.jpg

9.1/15

Watch Trailer

@goofycilla90 - 1/15

@1234567890 - 2/15

@Elliott - 2/15

@Steven_ - 3/15

@.Rei - 5/15

@Deeee - 13/15

@Alex95 - 14/15

@FrogLenzen - 15/15

@*Diana - 15/15

@totes4totes - 15/15

@*Chris - 15/15

Steven

This movie feels more like an Avengers movie than a Captain America movie, but I actually prefer Civil War to any of the Avengers movies. I really like this movie. The straightforward storyline and already established characters helped make this a fun blockbuster film that the audience knew what they were getting. The action sequences were entertaining, especially the showdown between Team Captain America and Team Iron Man. This is one of the best MCU films in my opinion.

Dee

One of the best of the MCU, but there are stronger films from 2016.

Alex

Captain America being so lame they have to bring Iron Man to save his movie <33333333. Lol I like this movie, but it's like the lower-middle tier of MCU movies. There's very few MCU movies I'd consider in the top 15 of their year.

Derek

Not as good as Avengers and not as good as Winter Soldier. But still in our finals. The civil war concept is a comic book classic but it always feels a little contrived... like let's just invent some random plot to make heroes fight each other because that would look cool.

Megan

I think as the MCU grows it gets more interesting and more unique kind of leaving Civil War behind. When it came out it was arguably the best of the bunch but since then there's been Black Panther, Thor: Ragnorak, Avengers: Infinity War, Captain Marvel etc.

11. Deadpool

la-et-mn-ryan-reynolds-deadpool-20160209-001

8.5/15

Watch Trailer

@Elliott - 1/15

@*Diana - 1/15

@goofycilla90 - 2/15

@1234567890 - 3/15

@.Rei - 9/15

@Deeee - 10/15

@Steven_ - 12/15

@totes4totes - 13/15

@*Chris - 13/15

@FrogLenzen - 14/15

@Alex95 - 15/15

Elliott

One of the best CBMs of all time.

Dee

Really subverted the whole superhero genre. Very very good.

Steven

I didn't see this film until it was on TV, and I don't think it lived up to the hype. It was fine, but I just expected it to be much better.

Megan

Ryan Reynolds is really primed to have a Sandra Bullock like turn in my mind since Bradley Cooper has taken up his spot in my mind as bland white man who somehow is in movies that I like am going to see and not really enjoy his presence in. Everything Ryan Reynolds has done is overrated. Deadpool is his best role but what is it up against? Literally nothing. 

Derek

Enjoyable. I love X-Men more than any other Marvel IP, so it is nice to have this entry. Also fun to see what they do with R rating.

Alex

One of the most overrated movies ever. I'm sure if it came out when I was in middle school I would've loved it. I'm not some prude or some highbrow film critic, I like stupid movies. But this just isn't funny...at all.

10. Hidden Figures

hidden-figures-02-1280x720.jpg

8.2/15

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 3/15

@*Diana - 4/15

@Steven_ - 5/15

@1234567890 - 7/15

@goofycilla90 - 8/15

@totes4totes - 9/15

@FrogLenzen - 10/15

@.Rei - 10/15

@Alex95 - 10/15

@Elliott - 12/15

@Deeee - 12/15

Steven

I really liked this film. It was an inspiring story, and I'm glad it highlighted the achievements of the women featured. All three lead actresses were fantastic, especially Taraji P. Henson.

Megan

As a woman in STEM, I STAN for this movie.

Derek

I definitely liked this a lot. But something about this movie seemed really... regular? Like it was kind of following typical movie tropes despite it being based on history. But it is amazing/overdue to have the absolute goddess Katherine Johnson and some of her contemporaries get a full feature that is done well.

Alex

Another really paint by the numbers movie, but the acting's really strong and it's almost impossible to mess a story this great up.

Dee

Another hot take, but this movie is nothing special without three brilliant performances from Henson, Spencer, and Monáe. This movie is way too light and trivial with the subject matter and there is no sense of surprise in the film. At all.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2016 - 12-10 Posted)

9. 10 Cloverfield Lane

698c0ef29b7faa03fef54423694d981b231edb1b4e8569daf50a1f0941ccd566._SX1080_.jpg

7.7/15

Watch Trailer

@FrogLenzen - 3/15

@1234567890 - 4/15

@Alex95 - 5/15

@Deeee - 6/15

@Elliott - 8/15

@totes4totes - 8/15

@goofycilla90 - 9/15

@*Diana - 10/15

@*Chris - 10/15

@.Rei - 11/15

@Steven_ - 11/15

Derek

amazing! a fun mix of suspense/mystery/supernatural/thriller that pays off. Managed to mix in the Cloverfield lore while leaving the found footage concept behind and does it pretty well

Alex

What's scarier, the devil you know or the devil you don't? Very interesting concept and the perfect mix of comedy, horror, and drama. MEW is always such a valuable asset to every movie and John Goodman was Oscar-worthy.

Dee

The genre switch in this movie is ultimate.

Megan

STAN. Love this film in so many ways. Only wish the first and third Cloverfield were nearly as good. 

Steven

I remember watching Cloverfield, but I haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet. It seems interesting though!

8. Fences

16FENCES-superJumbo.jpg

7.6/15

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 4/15

@*Diana - 5/15

@FrogLenzen - 6/15

@.Rei - 6/15

@goofycilla90 - 6/15

@Alex95 - 6/15

@1234567890 - 8/15

@Steven_ - 9/15

@totes4totes - 10/15

@Deeee - 11/15

@Elliott - 13/15

Derek

Can you believe James Earl Jones was in the original broadway cast for this?? I always support movies adapted from broadway plays or musicals except Cursed Child. It doesn't hurt that Viola is here at her best

Alex

I feel like play to movie adaptations can be difficult to make. You're making something designed on a stage into something cinematic where you can have endless sets and props and sounds. Sometimes they can feel pretty basic. I feel like Fences digs itself into that hole sometimes, but the script is strong enough and compelling. And hoo boy those performances. Stephen McKinley Henderson is an always reliable supporting character who needs his Moment already. And Denzel and Viola...just two of the greatest performances I have ever seen from two of the greatest living actors.

Steven

Great performances all around. I'm glad Viola Davis finally got her Oscar.

Megan

Glad Viola finally got her Oscar (long overdue) but this movie doesn't stick out to me necessarily as best of the decade (or even best of Viola Davis). 

Dee

A very great, boring movie. Honestly still does nothing for me. Viola is always perfect, but I would have given her the Oscar before this performance (aka Doubt) and not given her the win for this performance.

7. The Edge of Seventeen

The-Edge-of-Seventeen.jpg?w=980&q=75

7.5/15

Watch Trailer

@goofycilla90 - 5/15

@*Chris - 5/15

@1234567890 - 6/15

@*Diana - 6/15

@totes4totes - 7/15

@Alex95 - 7/15

@.Rei - 8/15

@Steven_ - 8/15

@Deeee - 9/15

@Elliott - 11/15

@FrogLenzen - 11/15

Megan

Hailee Steinfeld is so underrated. And this movie is no exception. Glad it was able to make the Top 15. It seems like such an easy decision but with this group of rankers you never know!!!!!

Alex

After making fun of the trailer for this, me and a friend watched it on a whim to make fun of it. Color us surprised that it was actually good. My friend was also grieving the recent loss of their father so the movie going There was unexpected, but it brought us closer together at friends as we talked about it. Anyways so the movie's important to me. It falls into many teen dramedy tropes but idc.

Steven

This was all right. I was kind of expecting this to be better based on the positive thoughts expressed here. I was still able to enjoy the film though. That’s largely because of Hailee Steinfeld. She was terrific in this film.

Dee

Steinfeld nailed this.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2016 - 9-7 Posted)

Left:

Alex:

1-

2-

4-

8-

9-

11-

Chris:

1-

2-

6-