Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

3. tick, tick... BOOM!

B0385-featured-image-2.jpg

5.8/15

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 2/15

@*Diana - 3/15

@Alex95 - 5/15

@Steven_ - 8/15

@totes4totes - 11/15

Alex

What a pleasant surprise this movie was. I turned it on with zero expectations and instantly fell in love with it. A movie about failure and the hope behind failure. Just inject that straight into me. And the music was really good! 30/90, Therapy, No More...all jams!

Steven

Terrific performance from Andrew Garfield. I was rooting for him to win at the Oscars, even though everyone knew Will Smith was winning that year.

2. Minari

MV5BMjEwOWQyNDQtODAzNy00YjZjLWJjYTktMzViMzhlOGFiM2ZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAzMDg4NzU0._V1_.jpg

5.6/15

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 3/15

@Alex95 - 4/15

@Steven_ - 6/15

@Alex95 - 6/15

@*Diana - 9/15

Alex

Just an absolutely beautiful movie. It made me happy, it made me sad, it made me hopeful, it made me angry. All that in a digestable 115 min runtime. Han Yeri is the secret MVP of the movie and deserves all the praise for her performance!

Steven

I haven't seen this film yet, but it looks good based on the trailer. I'm intrigued enough to want to seek it out if it's available on any of the streaming platforms I'm subscribed to.

1. Drive My Car

a4adfe4d8b2b3998481472808a4dc780d7e73437.png

3.6/15

Watch Trailer

@Alex95 - 1/15

@totes4totes - 1/15

@Steven_ - 4/15

@*Chris - 5/15

@*Diana - 7/15

Alex

What else is there to say about this movie that hasn't been said? The second it ended I was in awe. I knew I had watched one of the greatest movie of all time. The first 40 minutes before the movie even "started"! The audition scene! The use of language! Every scene between Yūsuke and Kōji!! The final monologue from Yoo-na! Masterpiece! Every scene is perfection!

Megan

Drive My Car was easily my favorite movie of 2021. And I planned on writing a little more about it in my own movie thread, but just haven't gotten around to it TBQH. Ryusuke Hamaguchi actually released two of my Top 10 movies of the year with the other being Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy and I think he showed with both how good he is at just telling very human stories. I joke a lot that all movies should be 105 minutes max, but that's only because I think movies are becoming more and more bloated, but Drive My Car is a movie that earns all of its 179-minute runtime. It's just an absolutely beautiful movie about how we mourn and accept those we love when they've spent their entire lives hurting us. And parallel along the story of the relationship between Yūsuke and Misaki as widowed director and his driver, is the story of Yūsuke creating a multi-lingual production of Uncle Vanya. And if you had told me that my favorite movie of the year was going to be a three-hour Japanese film about being sad and putting on a Chekhov play...well I probably would have responded with that sounds about right.

Also, the fact that it wasn't nominated for cinematography at the Academy Awards is a crime.

Steven

Despite the daunting runtime, I was really drawn into this film and never got bored. It's a moving story done very well.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2021 - 3-1 Posted)

So I'm not doing the 2000's because of the rankdown, but I'm willing to jump back to the 90's if there's interest there. Here's a list of the popular 1999 films:

https://letterboxd.com/films/popular/year/1999/size/small/

If y'all think you've seen enough and want to play (looking at the list I know I have) I'd be willing to host. But I'm not gonna start compiling the list without at least 4, preferably 5 rankers.

XOQU.gif

8MM

10 Things I Hate About You

A Map of the World

Aimée & Jaguar

All About My Mother

American Beauty

American Pie

An Ideal Husband

Analyze This

Angela's Ashes

Anna and the King

Annie

Any Given Sunday

Anywhere But Here

Arlington Road

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

Beau Travail

Being John Malkovich

Beyond the Mat

Bicentennial Man

Big Daddy

The Blair Witch Project

The Bone Collector

Bowfinger

Boys Don't Cry

Bringing Out the Dead

Buena Vista Social Club

The Cider House Rules

Cruel Intentions

Deep Blue Sea

Dogma

Double Jeopardy

Drop Dead Gorgeous

East Is East

East/West

Election

The End of the Affair

eXistenZ

Eyes Wide Shut

Fight Club

Flawless

For Love of the Game

Galaxy Quest

Genghis Blues

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Girl, Interrupted

Girl on the Bridge

Go

The Green Mile

The Haunting

Himalaya

The Hurricane

Idle Hands

The Insider

Inspector Gadget

The Iron Giant

Jawbreaker

Julien Donkey-Boy

Lake Placid

Life

The Limey

Magnolia

Man on the Moon

The Matrix

Message in a Bottle

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.

The Mummy

The Muse

Music of the Heart

My Neighbors the Yamadas

Mystery Men

Never Been Kissed

The Ninth Gate

Notting Hill

October Sky

Office Space

On the Ropes

One Day in September

The Other Sister

Peppermint Candy

Ratcatcher

Ravenous

Runaway Bride

She's All That

The Sixth Sense

Sleepy Hollow

Snow Falling on Cedars

Solomon & Gaenor

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

Speaking in Strings

Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace

The Straight Story

Stuart Little

Summer of Sam

Superstar

Sweet and Lowdown

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Tarzan

Three Kings

Titus

Topsy-Turvy

Toy Story 2

Tumbleweeds

Under the Sun

Wild Wild West

The Wind Will Carry Us

The World Is Not Enough

For the first round we can each advance 5-10 films. One film will go straight to round four, and the rest will go to the next round. You cannot advance less than 5, nor can you advance more than 10. You don't have to advance all your films at one time, but when you're done please let me know so I know to move on. You have 72 hours to make your saves. Good luck! Anyone who wants to play can play!

@*Chris @Steven_ @1234567890 @.Rei @Elliott @FrogLenzen @*Diana @totes4totes

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - Round 1)
1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

there are probably too many movies i don't know so i may be sitting this one out unless i read through the list and find exactly a single film that i will die for

okay jk i am participating because i found more than one movie so i guess i am obligated to play.