American Idol Original Music Ranking Thread (Elliott Yamin: 5-1 Posted)

Crisis

15 hours ago, KelseyW said:

God life made me have to peace out on the other 3 Haley albums... UGH. lol :( 

By the way. Can we agree that this woman would slay a Christmas album?? :wub:

I don't plan on posting the rankings until around 11:00 PM EST. If you (or anyone else for that matter) want to submit rankings before then you still can. 

• Like 1

Lo-Fi Soul Rankings 13-9

13. How Dare You

Haley-Reinhart-Lo-Fi-Soul-Album-Art.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Haley Reinhart - How Dare You

Average: 11.5

@Crisis - 11/13

@Lackey - 12/13

This song was too laid back for me given the topic and content. In terms of replay value from this album this one is near the bottom. With that said, it's not a bad song, but at the same time it isn't one of the better ones. It's no surprise this one finished at the bottom of the ranking.

12. Don't Know How To Love You

Haley Reinhart - Don't Know How To Love You (Video)

Average: 10.0

@Crisis - 10/13

@Lackey - 10/13

For some reason, there is no audio only version posted on YouTube, so this will just have the video. Another song that's just OK with me. Haley does a good job going through her registers, but this song didn't have anything to hook me in. This is a track I would skip more times than not.

11. Oh Damn

Haley Reinhart - Oh Damn

Average: 8.5

@Lackey - 5/13

@Crisis - 12/13

I'll start by saying something positive: the song has a doo-wop and Motown type of feel to it. Outside of that, from my low ranking it's obvious I'm not a big fan of the song. I think the main issue I have with the song is that it seems like Haley is trying too hard and nothing seems natural. It would probably rank higher if there were more rankers, but it lands in the #11 spot.

T-9. Deep Water

Haley Reinhart - Deep Water

Deep Water Video

Average: 8.0

@Lackey - 3/13

@Crisis - 13/13

Here we have my least favorite track on the album. I didn't care too much for the vibe, and there was nothing that stood out to me lyrically and melody wise. As with My Cake from Better, it was a weak opening track. Unlike Better however, the second track (Oh Damn) wasn't a strong one, IMO. Between the two tracks, I don't think the album got off to a hot start. 

T-9. Strange World

Haley Reinhart - Strange World

Average: 8.0

@Crisis - 3/13

@Lackey - 13/13

Lackey and I are the polar opposites on the previous two tracks. :dead: I love the arrangement with the simple acoustic guitar and minimal percussion. In addition, the melody is easy on the ears. Finally, the laid back vibe and vocals fit the song's subject to a tee. I like that Haley didn't too much and kept the singing simple. This is definitely one of my favorite tracks from the album.

That's it for now. I'll try to post the remaining ones tomorrow. In addition, unless there are any suggestions I'll post the next Idol alum whose discography will be showcased next.

Lo-Fi Soul Rankings 8-5

8. Baby Doll

Haley Reinhart - Baby Doll

Average: 7.5

@Lackey - 6/13

@Crisis - 9/13

This is a fine track. It has a nice combination of sultriness and upbeat vibes. The pre-chorus and choruses are the best parts of the song. The ahs in the verses are a nice change of pace, but other than that the verses themselves weren't anything groundbreaking. I don't know if this track is a great album closer; however, it's not completely out of place.

7. Broken Record

Haley Reinhart - Broken Record

Average: 7.0

@Crisis - 7/13

@Lackey - 7/13

Broken Record is a song I don't have any strong feelings towards. It's a fine song but not a great one. I guess if there's one word to describe how I feel about it, it would be ambivalent. I don't dislike it; however, it's not one of my favorites either. Because of this, I ranked it in the middle of the pack which is where it ended up.

T-5. Crack The Code

Haley Reinhart - Crack The Code

Average: 6.0

@Crisis - 4/13

@Lackey - 8/13

I just love the vibe of this song. The instrumentals create a great vibe, and the verses have some nice melodies. The best part, however, is the chorus. It may be simplistic, but it's extremely catchy and fun to sing along with. I especially like the final one when the electric guitar comes in, giving it the extra edge to close the song on a strong note.

T-5. Shook

Haley Reinhart - Shook (Video)

Average: 6.0

@Crisis - 1/13

@Lackey - 11/13

Here we have my favorite track on the album. I love the old school R&B vibe the track has. The arrangement transports the listener back into the 60s when this style was all the rage. Haley herself sounds really strong here, and I think she does a great job conveying the song's message. Here is another instance in which the chorus can be extremely catchy, especially the last one in which she adds her signature growls. The last thing I'll say is the video for this song is in a word surreal. I'm happy to see this song place in the Top 5 or tie for it at the very least.

Lo-Fi Soul Rankings 4-1

4. Lo-Fi Soul

Haley Reinhart - Lo-Fi Soul

Lo-Fi Soul Video

Average: 5.5

@Crisis - 4/13

@Lackey - 9/13

The title track is one of my favorites from the album. The chill laid back vibe the song has fits the theme perfectly. In addition, Haley's vocals are a nice match with the instrumental outside of her going up a few octaves in the pre-chorus. It may not be the most exciting song on the album, but it helps set the mood for the rest of the album and it was a nice recovery from the first two songs IMO.

3. Lay It Down

Haley Reinhart - Lay It Down

Lay It Down Video

Average: 5.0

@Lackey - 4/13

@Crisis - 6/13

The first of the two piano ballads of the album appears. This song has nothing but Haley's voice and a piano background going for it; however, those two things were all that were needed. Haley doesn't use a lot of vocal techniques on the song outside of showcasing a head voice on the chorus. While Haley likes to experiment with her voice a lot, she pretty much sings the song straight. All in all, a nice ballad that fits in well with the album.

2. Some Way Some How

Haley Reinhart - Some Way Some How

Average: 4.5

@Lackey - 1/13

@Crisis - 8/13

And now the second piano ballad arrives. This and Lay It Down are very similar stylistically. In the case of Some Way Some How, however, it is more emotionally charged. Haley puts more emotion into the song; it's plain to hear she's really trying to convey the message of desperately trying to save a relationship that looks like it's coming to an end. With that said, I prefer LID to this one, but both ballads have solid things going for them.

1. Honey, There's The Door

Haley Reinhart - Honey, There's The Door

Honey, There's The Door Video

Average: 3.5

@Lackey - 2/13

@Crisis - 5/13

Yet another case of the #1 song not having any first place rankings. :haha: There's a sensual yet playful atmosphere with this song. It's basically Haley telling her partner what she expects from him; otherwise, he can leave and she'll find someone who will live up to her expectations. This is the song that grew on me the most from the album. I didn't care for it at first, but I learned to take it at face value and enjoy it for what it is. It's not my pick for #1, but it is what it is.

And on that one, we are done with Haley Reinhart's discography! I have a couple of alums in mind as far as who I want to rank next; however, I'll wait until tomorrow at the earliest to pick one unless anyone has someone in mind.

• Like 2

• Crisis changed the title to American Idol Original Music Ranking Thread (Next Idol TBD)

I've decided on the next Idol to showcase.

As with Haley Reinhart, this Idol was an underdog who made it all the way to third place in his season. Since then, he has released a few independent albums both in the states and Japan, with a single placing as high as #13 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Idol in question is...

Elliott Yamin

104596.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Tomorrow will be the beginning of his discography.

• Like 1

Elliott Yamin

20190930_013512-1024x1024.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Track List

1. Movin' On

2. Wait For You

3. Find A Way

4. One Word

5. You Are The One

6. I'm The Man

7. Train Wreck

8. Free

9. Alright

10. Take My Breath Away

11. A Song For You

Amazon | Apple | Pandora | Spotify | YouTube

If anyone wishes to participate, the deadline for any rankings and/or write-ups is September 10 at 11:59 PM EST.

• Like 1

• Crisis changed the title to American Idol Original Music Ranking Thread (Elliott Yamin: Self-Titled)
  • 2 weeks later...

Elliott Yamin Rankings 11-6

11. Alright

Elliott Yamin - Alright

Something has to be last, and Alright is the track that has this dubious dishonor. Here we have Elliott's attempt at a club banger. The problem is Elliott is not that type of artist, and I don't think he did anything to convince anyone he was otherwise. I think this song would work if anyone who specializes in this style of music did it, but it feels out of place on this album.

10. You Are The One

Elliott Yamin - You Are The One

The album has a fair share of love songs. However, I think You Are The One is the weakest. It's not a bad song per se; it's just that it's the least memorable track on the album IMO. It has a nice melody and Elliott sounds nice, especially in the chorus, but it doesn't really have anything to pull me in and really catch my attention.

9. Train Wreck

Elliott Yamin - Train Wreck

We're at the point where each song has something I like in some form or another although the bottom two aren't all that bad. Train Wreck is a song that has its qualities, with the chorus being my favorite part; however, I don't think it quite measures up to the others I ranked above it. The main criticism I have is I think the subject matter could've been more interesting given the title.

8. Find A Way

Elliott Yamin - Find A Way

Find A Way is one of two inspirational songs on the album. With the first two tracks being kind of somber, I guess the next track was supposed to be somewhat uplifting. However, FAW is somber in its own right. I believe I understand what Elliott was going for, but I don't think he quite hit the mark. With that said, it's still a solid song overall.

7. Take My Breath Away

Elliott Yamin - Take My Breath Away

Take My Breath Away is a nice song. It's not the best song, but it isn't the worst either. It did a good job of getting the album back on track after the detour that was Alright. The verses' melodies were unconventional, but Elliott sold the song well to offset any inconveniences. Somewhere in the middle is a nice place for it IMO.

6. I'm The Man

Elliott Yamin - I'm The Man

I'm The Man is a song I love listening to when listening to the album. The verses have great melodies and the lyrics are well-written. In addition, Elliott does a great job of selling the song. Finally, the chorus is a really strong point. It's one of my favorite songs and I wish there were enough room to put this in the Top 5, but I enjoy the songs I have above it more.

• Crisis changed the title to American Idol Original Music Ranking Thread (Elliott Yamin: 11-6 Posted)

Elliott Yamin (Rankings 5-1)

5. Free

cd-cover.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Elliott Yamin - Free

At #5 is the second inspirational track on the album. I prefer Free to Find A Way because the track is more uplifting, plus I think the material and singing are better. I really love the message of the song, which is basically let yourself go and don't let any inhibitions hold you back. To me, it was clear this is a song that means a lot to Elliott with the way he sings it, especially in the chorus and bridge. I would've loved for this to be a single, but it's still a great song at the end of the day.

4. A Song For You

cd-cover.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Elliott Yamin - A Song For You

Coming in at #4 is the song that was Elliott's signature performance on Idol. A Song For You is a song that means a lot to Elliott seeing he sang it at every opportunity he got. While the live version is considered to be one of the greatest all-time Idol performances, the recorded version is no slouch in its own right. It is beautifully sung, and it has a lot of feeling in it. It's a great way to end the album.

3. One Word

cd-cover.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Elliott Yamin - One Word

At #3 is One Word. One Word was the second single released from the album. It was also the first song on the album that Elliott sings about love in a positive way. I thought he came across as very sincere when singing about how much this person meant to him in his life. The melodies of the verses and choruses sound incompatible; however, they worked well together. One Word is definitely one of the better songs on the album.

2. Movin' On

cd-cover.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Elliott Yamin - Movin' On

At #2 is the lead track from the album. Movin' On was initially leaked as a promo to help generate buzz about the album; however, it could only do so much seeing that the album was released on an independent label. As for the song itself, I found in interesting in some ways. Usually, the verses are more laid back than the choruses; in this case, however, the verses were sung higher than the choruses. With that said, I think it works because the verses have this urgency in that Elliott is expressing his feelings towards someone but that someone doesn't seem to get it. On the other hand, the chorus is him resigning himself to not waste any more time if this person isn't willing to reciprocate his feelings. It's a good song and a great way to open the album.

1. Wait For You

cd-cover.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Elliott Yamin - Wait For You

Topping the list is none other than Wait For You. At first, I was going to put Movin' On at #1. However, I decided to be basic and place Wait For You at the top instead. With that said, WFY is definitely a great song and one that became a hit for Elliott. The song is about Elliott's significant other leaving him for some reason, but Elliott is confident that she will return and therefore, he vows to wait until the day she does. Elliott does a great job selling the eagerness and emotion of the message the song is trying to get across. In addition, the rapid fire verses do a great job displaying the urgency and disbelief he is feeling. Finally, the chorus is an earworm that can get stuck in the head for days. It wouldn't surprise me if WFY tops any other rankings from the album as it does here, for it is certainly the most memorable song.

• Crisis changed the title to American Idol Original Music Ranking Thread (Elliott Yamin: 5-1 Posted)