2020 Olympic Games

Posted (edited)

Michael Andrew... 😔 *sigh* And it's not the first time we've seen a swimmer blow a lead in the final 50m of a race. This is just SO frustrating. 😡

I know that we've won a few Golds in the pool, but otherwise it's been a down Olympics for USA Swimming... 🙄

Edited by ShortstopVM

On 7/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, ShortstopVM said:

:shock: That's awesome!

To be fair, many of us didn't know about Suni until the Team Event a few days ago, so you're not alone in that regard lol

Yeah, to put this in perspective, Suni has most likely attended family get togethers numerous times over the past 10 years, across the street from me. I see the relatives daily in their yard...wave to them all the time. I had no clue who Suni was until about a week ago.  :haha: She literally came out of nowhere, and now she’s a superstar. 

Edited by TeamAudra

I will also add that this is probably the biggest thing to ever happen for the Hmong community in Minnesota. There will likely be an explosion of young Hmong girls wanting to join a gymnastics program. 

Hell of a performance by Suni Lee, Simone goes down and she steps up big time to get us the gold. Couldn't be more proud of her as well as the rest of the team. They could've easily folded in the team all around after Simone withdrew yet everyone picked up the slack and still got us silver.

Its been a bit of a mixed bag in the pool overall for our insanely high standards but one thing is for sure Katie Ledecky is still a badass and she'll be back in 2024 in Paris. Plus according to Phelps we have a lot of rookie talent who should be much improved in 3 years. Props to Caleb Dressel though who has continued to be a beast on the men's side.

Looking forward to our continued domination in track and field especially former Kentucky Wildcat Sydney McLaughlin.

The women should bring it home in Soccer and Basketball and hopefully men's bball can at least get on the podium.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, kclarkson1323 said:

Looking forward to our continued domination in track and field especially former Kentucky Wildcat Sydney McLaughlin.

How about Lee Kiefer bringing home the Gold in fencing? :w00twave:

(granted, she's at UK for med school, but just go with this flex lol)

Edited by ShortstopVM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

How about Lee Kiefer bringing home the Gold in fencing? :w00twave:

(granted, she's at UK for med school, but just go with this flex lol)

Good call! I forgot to mention her, first gold or maybe even first medal period for the US in fencing ever. :thumbs:

23 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

We're USA Basketball; it's Gold or Epic Fail. 😐 

Very true, thankfully we've looked much better the past two games albeit against not so great teams.

Scenes at Kokugikan Arena, where the Boxing event takes place - Mourad Aliev of France was DQ'ed for repeatedly headbutting the Briton Frazer Clarke - after being warned by the ref not to do so (Clarke had been cut open twice as a result of the headbutting).  👀

Aliev was pissed, argued with the ref for a bit, had an outburst in front of a camera, and sat on the edge of the ring for about thirty minutes as the French federation filed a protest. :omg: He has since left ringside to discuss the matter with his coaches and boxing officials.

Mykayla Skinner just got the silver medal on vault! She wasn't even scheduled to compete but since Simone Biles pulled out that opened up a spot for her and she took advantage of that and got herself a medal! :wub:

Posted (edited)

Marcell Jacobs. :shock: Who knew? :omg:

Also, two Britons getting DQ'ed from the 100m via false starts in this session :wacko: 

EDIT: Barshim and Tamberi agreeing to share the Gold Medal instead of having a jump-off. :omg: I didn't know that was possible. #epic

Edited by ShortstopVM

3 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

Not the USWNT crashing out of the Olympics by losing to Canada, of all teams. #EpicFail :argh:

Hi :canadianwave:,

Canada is actually one of the top ranked team in the world with one of the greatest player of all-time.

This post makes me want our women to win gold even more now!

Also, our player Quinn will be the first trans / non binary player to win an Olympic medal! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, *Chris said:

Canada is actually one of the top ranked team in the world with one of the greatest player of all-time.

Also, our player Quinn will be the first trans / non binary player to win an Olympic medal! 

The US women were the #1 team in the world having not lost to anyone in an incredibly long time. They then went on to lose to 2 teams which is disappointing. Now grant it the 2 teams they lost to are in the finals so they are obviously good teams that he should not have discredited lol. 

Edited by QueenKalie

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, *Chris said:

Yes, I'm very aware of Christine Sinclair, thank you very much. :blargwave: I'm also aware that Canada are still good.

Here's the thing: Nobody expected the USWNT to fall flat on their faces the way they did. I thought that the first game against Sweden was just a blip on the radar and that the real team came out against NZ. Apparently, I was wrong: They ended up going scoreless in three matches at the Olympics. This was definitely NOT the same team that I saw in 2019. :wacko:

Go Sweden in the Gold Medal Game. ^_^

7 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

The US women were the #1 team in the world having not lost to anyone in an incredibly long time. They then went on to lose to 2 teams which is disappointing...

THIS right here. :yes: I had NO reason to think that the USWNT would come away with anything less than a Gold Medal. They were head-and-shoulders above everyone else (emphasis on WERE). They just did not play like that in Tokyo, and the blame has to fall on the players - and maybe even the head coach. We came back down to Earth, and nobody on our side of the fence should be happy about it. #NoExcuses

Is it time for #VlatkoOut? Do we need to get younger? I don't have all those answers. What I can tell y'all is, that I can accept the fact that we lost to Canada; we need to make adjustments to our roster so that we don't prematurely exit a major tournament again - the next one being the 2023 WWC.

Edited by ShortstopVM

In other sports... It was a helluva run by Nesthy Petecio to get to the Final bout... Unfortunately, Sena Irie turned the tide midway through the final round and connected for the last clean punch of what was an otherwise hug-filled round match. :no:

Carlos Yulo missed the podium of the Vault event by .034 😬 His first attempt cost him; if he landed a little more to the left on the second try...

USA beat Spain in Men's Basketball. :stud: I'm glad to see our defense settling in and forcing turnovers; it's also nice to see our guys move the ball into open space, and we finally got the threes to go down in the second half. :yes: 

Apparently, Suni is already talking about 2024. I had been wondering about this, since she’s reporting to Auburn in just over a week. It will be interesting to see how she manages this. She’s even talking about doing the world championships in October, and touring with Simone. Not to mention, her earning potential is sky high right now. I know she really wants to experience college, but when she committed to Auburn, she probably didn’t imagine she was going to be the all around Olympic champion. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ATX29 said:

American sprinter Gabby Thomas is rather foxy.

She is the complete package :yes: 👩🏾‍🎓 👀👀

If we're going to go there though, I've got my eye on Jenna Prandini lol 😏

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Apparently, Suni is already talking about 2024. I had been wondering about this, since she’s reporting to Auburn in just over a week. It will be interesting to see how she manages this. She’s even talking about doing the world championships in October, and touring with Simone. Not to mention, her earning potential is sky high right now. I know she really wants to experience college, but when she committed to Auburn, she probably didn’t imagine she was going to be the all around Olympic champion. 

Thanks to the NCAA allowing athlete endorsements, NIL will be a hell of a thing... 😏

Edited by ShortstopVM

4 minutes ago, ShortstopVM said:

She is the complete package :yes: 👩🏾‍🎓 👀👀

If we're going to go there though, I've got my eye on Jenna Prandini lol 😏

thats a good one but mine our on Mykayla Skinner personally.

When you sleep through the Apparatus Finals that happened live at 4am, and you're still waiting for NBC to post the event replay on the website 🙄🙄🙄

Thankfully I managed to find video of the whole Beam Final... :yes: 😌 I ain't watching NBC Primetime tonight after that :censored:-ery, though... 🖕

8 minutes ago, ShortstopVM said:

Thanks to the NCAA allowing athlete endorsements, NIL will be a hell of a thing... 😏

Sure, but it’s going to be a little overwhelming for her. Honestly, I don’t know how she’s going to pull it off. She’s a big star right now, and she’s going be pulled in many different directions. We’ll see how it goes. ;) 

Good win over Spain for the basketball team, KD was a monster, time for revenge against the Aussies.

Congrats to Jade Carey on the Floor Gold and big props to Simone for getting back out there and earning a Bronze on beam, that took some serious guts.

Like softball women's soccer blew it, come on ladies. 😑

These Olympics continue to be a very mixed bag for Team USA.