Worst song choices ever on The Voice

Mistake006

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Now that I think about it I can’t even remember a good cover of Imagine Dragons on the show (Will vs James was good but it wasn’t live)

The 2 Demons Knockouts were bad, and Braiden Sunshine’s Radioactive is one of the worst performances of S9. 

I know that Will sang Demons in the T12 and did pretty well with it

Just now, B-B said:

Sweet Love for Zania

Do you mean 'Dangerous Woman'? 'Sweet Love' was an amazing song choice that resulted in one of the best blind auditions of S20, imo.

1 minute ago, Angeles said:

Do you mean 'Dangerous Woman'? 'Sweet Love' was an amazing song choice that resulted in one of the best blind auditions of S20, imo.

Yes lol, I edited my post

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daillon said:

Brennley Brown - Suds in the Bucket

I wonder if she would have made the finale if not for this. I am a fan of hers, so it's nice to think she may have, but I also wasn't watching live that season so I have no idea

41 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I wonder if she would have made the finale if not for this. I am a fan of hers, so it's nice to think she may have, but I also wasn't watching live that season so I have no idea

I thought she was going to make the finale until that song choice, and it’s definitely an infamous song choice

Gwen got screwed of a finale spot that year because she had 2 contestants with a shot and neither made it

Edited by Cookie73

30 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I didn't really analyze this stuff when S12 was on, so I don't know for sure, but looking back I think Aliyah would have been PV either way. They gave her a God song + the pimp spot, she had a breakout moment the week before, and Brennley had to compete with Lauren. 

Just now, rp3598 said:

Man I feel like a woman for lilli passero is easily the worst song choice in voice history

Add to that: She was sick that week (wasn´t able to even attend rehearsals in person), and had to sing it in front of Shania Twain herself (she was a mentor that week and they even had a 5th chair for her that night).

10 minutes ago, rp3598 said:

Man I feel like a woman for lilli passero is easily the worst song choice in voice history

8 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Add to that: She was sick that week (wasn´t able to even attend rehearsals in person), and had to sing it in front of Shania Twain herself (she was a mentor that week and they even had a 5th chair for her that night).

…curse you both for making me remember that train wreck (poor Lilli deserved way better than that, even if I was rooting for several others more than her).

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I thought “Fix You” actually turned out alright. Probably my favorite live performance from him.

Fix You wasn’t awful, none of these performances are. I think the fundamental problem is that John Legend completely gave up on John H’s jazz roots from the beginning to turn him into a pop diva, and that just… doesn’t really work for him? Sure, “All By Myself” was phenomenal, but riding the wave of one genre-breaking performance, one that might’ve been a fluke, was always gonna lead to a less optimal run on the show. 

The chorus of Fix You felt like John H. was struggling to make his voice work and hit all of these highs that just didn’t really flesh out, same with Halo. Having a big range doesn’t mean he’s cut out sing Beyonce; he was always more comfortable with slower jazz, that’s why Misty worked. These three performances were fine, I guess, but they were built on the foundation of really bad decisions on his coach’s part.

7 minutes ago, peachfuz said:

Fix You wasn’t awful, none of these performances are. I think the fundamental problem is that John Legend completely gave up on John H’s jazz roots from the beginning to turn him into a pop diva, and that just… doesn’t really work for him? Sure, “All By Myself” was phenomenal, but riding the wave of one genre-breaking performance, one that might’ve been a fluke, was always gonna lead to a less optimal run on the show. 

The chorus of Fix You felt like John H. was struggling to make his voice work and hit all of these highs that just didn’t really flesh out, same with Halo. Having a big range doesn’t mean he’s cut out sing Beyonce; he was always more comfortable with slower jazz, that’s why Misty worked. These three performances were fine, I guess, but they were built on the foundation of really bad decisions on his coach’s part.

I was about to disagree with you since Fly me To the Moon and Fix You were technically proficient and well executed, but I see your point now. I think everyone and their mothers were surprised when we found out that he was given a Coldplay song. He still made it work though.

As for the finale week, yeah, eventually it got him. That was a disaster, because he was given two pop songs that didn´t do him any favors. It´s like the guy who sang Misty and Summer Soft was replaced by another one, a pop singer. Same thing happened with Davon Fleming, he auditioned with jazz and then the show treated him like a big voiced diva and gave him Beyoncé, Whitney, Christina, Aretha, and thus it didn´t work for him. 

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, peachfuz said:

An absolute disaster on every account. I've never seen a contestant get more screwed over by their coach's song choice.

Fly Me To The Moon was (iirc by far) my favorite performance from John and I believe the only performance I liked.

Davon and John’s prelives were both much better than their lives. John started off doing lesser-known jazz songs and then went to more popular songs. I consider Misty to be one of the best blind auditions of the season, and that is where he peaked. His performances gradually went downhill from there. All By Myself was good, not at the level of his audition but definitely better than his lives, Fly Me to the Moon and Fix You were decent but not great (though I prefer the latter) and Halo was just bad for him. (I’d say Misty > Summer Soft > All By Myself > Fix You > Fly Me to the Moon > Halo). 
As for Davon, his audition, knockout and playoff were all one of my favorites of those respective rounds. He thrived in the jazz-soul lane but then Jennifer made him a diva. Love on Top and I Have Nothing are hard for even females to sing and he did not thrive with either song choice. He also struggled with Hurt. He went from a potential finalist pre-T12 to needing the Instant Save to make Semifinals. 

They honestly both had similar trajectories on the show but with different formats. John would have gotten eliminated in Semis (though he’d probably make IS) if it weren’t for Team Quotas

Since everyone is talking about John Holiday, I guess I'll rank his performances not including his trio or duet with John:

1. Misty

2. All By Myself

3. Fix You

4. Fly Me To The Moon

5. Summer Soft

6. Halo

7. And finally, that original.

14 minutes ago, David68 said:

Since everyone is talking about John Holiday, I guess I'll rank his performances not including his trio or duet with John:

1. Misty

2. All By Myself

3. Fix You

4. Fly Me To The Moon

5. Summer Soft

6. Halo

7. And finally, that original.

1. Summer Soft

2. Misty

3. Fly Me To The Moon

4. All By Myself

5. Fix You