π–πžπ§ππ² 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧 π…πšπ§ π“π‘π«πžπšπ

RTV

I really have no words to describe how OTR made me feel. She makes it look so easy, smiling while hitting her otherworldly notes. Without a doubt, the performance of the season for me!

Β 

No matter what happens tomorrow, Wendy seemed to have fun the entire season and that’s what matters most. I had no issues with any performance or song selection and to me, she delivered every week. I’m so happy she decided to audition so we could all be introduced to her!Β 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BlueNight13 said:

No matter what happens tomorrow, Wendy seemed to have fun the entire season and that’s what matters most. I had no issues with any performance or song selection and to me, she delivered every week. I’m so happy she decided to audition so we could all be introduced to her!Β 

Yeah, it really made me happy seeing her smile during each and every performance. ☺️ She delivered every week and I am so lucky to have gotten introduced to her craft through this show.  

• Like 2

Entertainment Weekly by Maggie Fremont
Welcome to The VoiceΒ season 21's finale performance night, everybody. Our final five artists will each have two more shots to impress tonight in hopes of winning the crown β€” er, V trophy.

Β 

Let's all be real, we're coming into this thing tonight knowing that this is Team Kelly's folk trio Girl Named Tom's to lose. They've been cruising through the competition, though it's not like they don't have some tough competitors to face: There's powerhouse and passionate vocalist Jershika Maple, soul singer and ultimate performer Paris Winningham, the dark horse teen who peaked at the right time Hailey Mia, and the other likely winner, industry vet Wendy Moten, who just can't seem to hit a bad note. It's a stacked final five!

Β 

Tonight, they'll each be singing one uptempo song to showcase "who they are as an artist" and one ballad dedicated to someone special. Let's see who makes the best case for first place.

Β 

What a journey Wendy has had β€” and I mean that even before her big fall. She's spent decades as a backup singer, and by joining forces with coach Blake Shelton has reignited a dream of a solo career. Blake loves that as seasoned as Wendy is, we've still "seen some growth in her as an artist," and he calls her "masterful." She sounds technically great on this Whitney bop, although it isn't the most emotionally connected performance. Still, with that sequined caped suit and the end of that song, who really cares? Ariana can't believe Wendy sang Whitney that well and still "optioned up at the end. How is that even possible?" she asks. Blake calls it "one of the greatest live vocal performances [he has] ever heard." So that's that right there.

Β 

Wendy Moten closes out the show by dedicating her ballad to her two homes, Memphis and Nashville. She sang "Over the Rainbow" in a talent show while growing up in Memphis and it began her love of performing, so singing it now is a full-circle moment. I mean, come on with this performance. Come on! This is Wendy Moten at her finest. That bend? We're done here. John doesn't think he's "ever seen anyone with a gift like [Moten has.]" He's floored by not only how "flawless" her vocals are, but also that she can just stand there and deliver "with such nonchalance." Blake sums up his feelings on the matter by calling Wendy "world-class talent." "We've never seen anything like you on this stage in 21 seasons."

Β 

etonline.com by Meredith B. Kile

Team Blake singer Wendy Moten saved the best for last on the first night of The Voice's season 21 finale!

Β 

The [57]-year-old Nashville-based singer has been a frontrunner all season, but her finale performance of "Over the Rainbow" brought the house down at the end of Monday's live finale performance, leaving the coaches on their feet and speechless.

Β 

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a gift like you have," John Legend raved.Β "And then you just stand there and do it with nonchalance!.. It's stunning that you're able to do what you're able to do."

Β 

"Ladies and gentlemen, when I say world class talent," agreed Wendy's coach, Blake Shelton. "This may never happen again onΒ The Voice!"

Β 

Despite her undeniable talent, however, seasonΒ 21 hasn't been an easy run for Wendy. The singer had to fight through a scary fall during a live showΒ last month to remainΒ a frontrunner week after week, but thankfully she's had the support of her coach the whole way.Β Blake has made it no secret that he's one of Wendy's biggest fans -- afterΒ landing the 4-chair turn to his team during the Blind Auditions, he's consistently declared that she is the most deserving singerΒ he's ever coached.

Β 

"I'm gonna say this, and I'm probably gonna catch a lot of heat for it, but I don't care," Blake raved of her Top 20Β performance earlier this season. "I've been doing this show for 21 seasons, as a a coach, and there is nobody that I want this more for, ever, than you. You deserve this."

Β 

https://www.etonline.com/the-voice-finale-wendy-moten-stuns-the-coaches-with-somewhere-over-the-rainbow-176548

Β 

GoldDerby by Denton Davidson and Marcus James Dixon

After a Christmas performance from Kelly, Team Blake’s Wendy Moten will close out the first hour of tonight’s episode with β€œHow Will I Know” byΒ Whitney Houston. It’s a very good vocal performance, but not exactly an inspired one. She looks bored on that stage while she’s belting out this joyful pop anthem. Ariana calls Wendy an insane vocalist and thinks she’s remarkable. Blake is at a loss for words because he is out of great things to say about her.

Β 

Wendy Moten from Team Blake will close out the finale with a performance of β€œSomewhere Over the Rainbow” by Judy Garland.Β She is dedicating this performance to her two home towns of Memphis and Nashville. This performance is stunning and uses every trick Wendy has up her sleeve. Wow! John says he has never seen anyone with a gift like hers. Blake says they have never seen anyone like Wendy on this stage in 21 seasons and it may never happen again.

Β 

idolchatteryd.com by Mark Franklin
Please, keep Wendy away from those skates. She's already wearing one cast. Meanwhile, she showed off her vocal firepower at the end of that song. Otherwise, it was a remarkably lackluster cover of a Whitney song on finals night. Blake, apparently living in an alternate universe, called it one of the best live vocals he's ever heard. Dear Blake, quit dreaming. That wasn't even in the Top 20 live vocals we've heard on The Voice this season. Grade: C+

Β 

I'm pretty sure The Voice producers envisioned Wendy as a potential champ before Season 21 began, so she'll get the pimp spot this week. This vocal was much, much better than her first effort of the night. But it was also a bit too frill-filled for my liking. And, just for the record, I'll take emotion over big glory notes any Monday of the year. Grade: A--

Β 

MJsBigBlog by MJ Santilli

HWIK:

Wendy auditioned for The Voice because she wanted to become a solo artist again. Also, for Nashville singer Wendy, choosing Blake as coach was a no-brainer. Despite breaking bones after a nasty slip, she had no doubt she’d finish the competition. The staging for these songs have been over the top, and kind of distracting. Dancers on roller skates? Why? I’m not a big fan of this song choice. TIRED TIRED TIRED. It’s straight up Whitney karaoke. Like she usually does, she adds some of her own flavor at the end. β€œThat sounded exactly like the record,” said Carson. Meaning it as a compliment. But that’s actually the problem with the performance.Β Ariana notes that she sings Whitney Houston with even more range. β€œThat is one of the greatest live vocal performances that I’ve ever heard,” declares Blake. Hyperbole much, dude.

Β 

OtR:

Wendy dedicates the song to the two cities that shaped herβ€”Memphis and Nashville. At 16 she won a talent contest singing β€œOver the Rainbow.” The song gives Wendy the opportunity to show off her massive, massive range. She hits that Patti Labelle high note to close. It’s the perfect pimp spot song. Congratulations to her for finishing the competition, even with setbacks. She did her thing.Β John calls her voice flawless and perfect. She makes it so easy, he says, it’s almost an insult to singer who work so hard. Blake says we have never seen anyone like her in 21 seasons. Blake makes sure to help her off the stage!

Β 

TalentRecap by Jill O'Rourke
Wendy Moten Takes Us Over the Rainbow

Β 

Team Blake artist Wendy Moten continued to wow the judges with both of her performances on Monday night. First, she took on a Whitney Houston classic, "How Will I Know." The fun performance featured roller-skating around the stage, but her voice was show-stopping enough.

Β 

Her coach Blake Shelton called it "one of the greatest live vocal performances I have ever heard in my life." Later on, Wendy one-upped herself by singing "Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz, which she performed when she was growing up. It was an amazing way to close the show, as Shelton called her a "world-class talent."

Β 

TooFab.com Staff

We had our clear favorites coming into tonight's performance finale of "The Voice," and who we thought was going to win -- but now we're not sure at all.

Β 

We knew that all five finalists were world-class talents. This is probably the most evenly talented finale the show has ever produced. Having them perform across two rounds made all the difference, though, as different acts stepped up in different rounds, creating a shockingly balanced night of greatness.

Β 

Girl Named Tom, Hailey Mia, Jershika Maple, Paris Winningham and Wendy Moten are all incredible singers. They all have incredible stories and they've all had jaw-dropping moments throughout the course of this season.

Β 

But who did enough tonight to inspire America to pick up their devices and vote for them? Will it be based more [on] what happened here tonight, or will their entire season weigh in? We'd imagine at this point, it's the whole journey, and that makes it even tighter.

Β 

Fair warning, since I'm safe at home, I'm probably going to be a little harsher than my colleagues Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Ariana Grande and Blake Shelton.

Β 

As a final note, the show shuffled both rounds together to diversify the viewing experience (we suppose), but for the purposes of comparing ballads to ballads and up-tempo pieces to up-tempo pieces, we're reshuffling them back into their respective rounds.

Β 

HWIK: ranked 2/5 among up-tempo songs

Despite two bum wings, Wendy still manages to deliver such a rich vocal. This week, we felt a little more drive from her, rather than the past few weeks where it's felt almost like she's been phoning it in. It was another great Whitney vocal -- no small task at all! -- and a fun production around her. We were starting to get a little worried that it was sounding a bit safe, but she really started belting in those final notes. She still doesn't bring the same level of passion as some other artists, but America doesn't seem to care.

Β 

OtR: ranked 3/5 among ballad dedicationsΒ 

Wendy blended the words "can't" and "I" and we can't get over it. It was a weird choice, but if you're listening to the lyrics, it also made no sense at all. Once again, though, she soars beautifully through her full range, delivering a fantastic vocal performance. It was sweet and ethereal in places, full-bodied in others. And all of it, once again, made to look effortless by a master of her craft. Wendy isn't always exciting as a stage performer, but she's an incredibly gifted vocalist.

Β 

Talk about a tight finish. If we weight our rankings above to come up with an average on the night -- giving 5 points to the 1st place finisher in each round and 1 point to the 5th place finisher, and then combine them -- we actually wound up with a four-way tie for first.

Β 

Only Paris, who we don't think lived up to the potential he'd established earlier in the competition as an emotionally connected singer tonight, fell to the bottom of our rankings. And we say that acknowledging that he sounded great all night. It's a testament to the talent that everyone was strong both rounds.

Β 

What we didn't expect was for there to be such inconsistency across the two performances for each of the artists. Again, these are all minor differences as they were all great at what they do. So we found ourselves nitpicking little things to differentiate their strengths and weaknesses.

Β 

What this also tells us is that the final winner is probably going to have more to do with their entire season journey than just this week's performances. And doing that puts Paris right back into the conversation, as he's been incredible.

Β 

Beyond Paris, we don't think anyone has brought more consistent passion and heart to their performances than Jershika, and yet she's had to battle twice to stay in this competition. Girl Named Tom has incredible harmonies, but they lack big moments and they are occasionally a little shaky in their solo work -- though this has improved tremendously.

Β 

Wendy is the consummate professional. If you close your eyes, you could be listening to an incredibly soulful album. But when you watch her, there's often this strange disconnect, as if she's almost bored with the process. And Hailey is this powerhouse at such a young age, we're blown away by her growth throughout the season and all the different layers to what she does.

Β 

At the risk of looking foolish -- which may be inevitable considering how genuinely tight this race is looking to us -- we're going to see if we can read America's mind on this one. Paris is the only solo male vocalist left. Wendy is the most seasoned veteran. Hailey is the youngest. Jershika is the scrapper. Girl Named Tom is the first trio to make it this far. They all have a story.

Β 

If it were up to us, you'd have Wendy in fifth, Paris in fourth, Girl Named Tom in third, Jershika in second and Hailey Mia crowned the winner. But it's not up to us. So, we're going to go out on a limb with our predictions (and get upset if Jershika is really done this dirty).

Β 

1. Girl Named Tom

2. Hailey Mia

3. Wendy Moten

4. Paris Winningham

5. Jershika Maple

Β 

TVLine by Charlie Mason
Gotta give Wendy credit: She makes covering Whitney Houston look like it's as easy for her as misspelling a contestant's name is for me. Here, her voice soared, soared higher and then I'm pretty sure blasted all the way into space. If it hadn't been for the cheers in the background, you could've convinced me that we were listening to a well-mixed recording. She was that good. And as an added bonus, she even looked like she had some fun with it. Grade: A

Β 

Dedicating the Wizard of Oz classic to Memphis and Nashville, her two hometowns, Wendy delivered a typically faultless (for her, anyway) performance. She went from delicate as a sunbeam to as massive as that entire damn rainbow. Just a colossal vocal. I honestly have no idea anymore who is going to win. GNT is impeccable. Jershika makes me want her to win so badly. But after a performance like that, sheesh. How could Wendy not win?

Β 

Yahoo!Entertainment by Lyndsey Parker (Editor in Chief, Yahoo Music)

Coaches joke that 'Voice' finalist Wendy Moten makes it look too easy: 'Insulting' and 'rude'

Β 

Team Blake's [57-year]-old veteran backup singer Wendy Moten has been a frontrunner throughout this Voice season, not even letting a broken hand and elbow, the result of a freak accident in top 10 week, slow her down on the way to winner's circle. This week on Monday's top five show (the episode that will in fact determine who wins on Tuesday's Season 21 grand finale), Wendy sang in the all-important final "pimp spot," making victory seem well within her fractured-handed grasp. And once again, she made it all look easy β€” maybe even too easy.

Β 

Closing the night with a full-circle performance of Patti LaBelle's version of "Over the Rainbow" (a song she won a talent contest with at age 16), Wendy delivered a classic and classy performance that had John Legend stammering, "Wendy, I just don't think I've ever seen anyone with a gift like you have. Your voice is just so flawless and perfect. And then you just stand there and do it with such nonchalance. It's... it's... it's insulting to every other singer that works so hard! We just watch you do it, and it just looks so easy coming out of you."

Β 

"It's rude!" laughed an equally astounded Kelly Clarkson.

Β 

Wendy's proud coach, Blake Shelton, seemed certain of her chances, at one point in the show even audaciously declaring, "America, this is your winner!" But he shouldn't start clearing mantel space for a ninth fist-shaped Voice trophy just yet. As I said, Wendy has actually been criticized before for appearing too effortless onstage, and I am uncertain if her two staid performances on Monday's final showdown will be enough. Her other song, "How Will I Know?" by Whitney Houston, while beautifully executed ("Do you know how insane it is to sing Whitney that well?" gasped Ariana Grande), was pure karaoke, with no artistry or individuality to it. Host Carson Daly even said Wendy's Whitney cover "sounded exactly like the record," and while he meant that as a compliment, I don't think this was such a good thing.

Β 

Also, it's quite possible that Season 21's three R&B powerhouses β€” Team Blake's Wendy and Paris Winningham, and Team Legend's underdog Jershika Maple β€” could split the public vote, thus allowing for an upset victory by one of two Team Kelly contenders, alt-pop teen Hailey Mia or especially folk trio Girl Named Tom. Tuesday's finale could be one of the closest calls ever on this series.

Β 

But whatever happens, Wendy will definitely go down in Voice history as one of the greatest contestants of all time. "We've never seen anything like you on this stage in 21 seasons, and ladies and gentlemen, when I say 'world-class talent,' I'm talking about this may never happen again," proclaimed Blake. "Wendy, thank you so much for being on The Voice."

Β 

So now, it is prediction time. I'm going to take a risk and guess that while Wendy does have a great chance, she will stall in second place, while Girl Named Tom will make history as the first non-solo contestant to win The Voice. I further predict that Hailey will place third, Paris fourth, and Jershika fifth. However, as I've noted, this is a close race that could go any which way... so we will just have to wait until Tuesday's two-hour finale to find out.

Edited by RTV
  • Thanks 1

These comments are posted on TVLine's recap.

Β 

music galΒ says:
December 13, 2021 at 8:32 PM
Wendy has proven she can sing like a pro with two broken arms. How many people can sing with both good arms. If she hadn’t fallen she could show more of her performer side. But this is the Voice and what she did was let her voice compensate for her inability to perform and move around the stage. I’ve had a broken arm and I was in pain every time I moved so I know it takes a lot out of you. I admire her for even singing after a terrible fall. I think holding this against her is unforgivable.

Β 

John MillsΒ says:
December 13, 2021 at 8:47 PM
After having a promotions company, hearing 100’s ofΒ vocalists, securing talent & arraigning many concerts through the years, a lot of folks know me for being able to secure top talent. There is one β€˜singer’ that I would sign – no doubt – Ms. Wendy Moten. A couple of others others performed well, but that lady has extreme range, smooth as silk, etc. I witnessed a starΒ this evening!
Edited by RTV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This was posted by John Benutty at 10:00 a.m. on 12/13/21. He ranks Wendy second.

Β 

Team Blake is represented by two genre-defying artists, Wendy Moten and Paris Winningham.

Β 

If Girl Named Tom falters in the finale, it is likely at the hands of Wendy who, without a doubt, had the single best performance of the season with "You're All I Need to Get By" in the semi-finals. Since she first auditioned, all the coaches have widely hailed Wendy as the heir-apparent to the throne and she has certainly put in the work each week to earn the title. No one has worked harder than Wendy, that's for sure. We'd add that without an artist of her own in contention, Ariana, who has been a huge fan of Wendy all season, is probably not going to be shy about throwing her support behind the vocal technician of the group.

Β 

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2021/the-voice-21-power-rankings-finale

• Thanks 1

Wendy SLAYED both of her song choices! Holy shit I was in awe and had chills all over my body and soul. Both performances were just perfection with no flaws. Perfect song choices for her too and perfect timing in the finale. Good luck Wendy! She might end up winning it all but Girl Named Tom could take the win too. Can we just make it a tie and have them both as winners instead please? Is that possible for votes to end up in a tie?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXc1IuloHN5/?utm_medium=copy_link
85145-E9-E-6-D36-4-DCA-880-C-F625241-A7-

Β 

Everyone make sure to get those last minute votes in. Even Martina voted… :giggle:

Β 

B2-B076-C8-F2-D7-4-CCE-8-B77-869-A8-F5-D

Β 

I already voted several times last night, but since Martina voted, I put in another 10 votes. [Let's just say I voted for Mr. S1 since he said he would vote for Wendy if he votes.]Β :haha:Β 

Β 

62rral4.jpg

Edited by season1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

She just proved that no one can touch her this season when she's at her best. A Perfect Performance.Β :wub:

I def agree.

Β 

I think at her best she's one of the best vocalists we've had like ever.

Β 

Good luck to her. So happy to see that she ended her journey on a high note.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 2

The polls on MJsBigBlog.com currently show Wendy with 31.54% on Who SHOULD Win, 22.22% on Who WILL Win, 27.73% on Favorite Artist, and 29.89% (first) for OtR / 3.66% for HWIK on Favorite Top 5 Performance.

Β 

On her predictions post, MJ said Wendy "had another moment during the final performance." "Will Wendy's closing performance of classic "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" win her the championship? It's possible and I believe that Wendy narrowed GNT's lead. But I am still leaning towards a Girl Named Tom victory. And after such a great season, I am proud to say that any of the finalists would make deserving winners."

• Like 1

https://www.actionnews5.com/2021/12/14/memphian-wendy-moten-hopes-take-win-nbcs-voice-finale

Β 

We’ve been watching as Memphian Wendy Moten, who we hope is crowned winner, took the stage week after week.

Β 

Moten is competing against four others for the title.

Β 

On Monday night, she sang two songs -- her rendition of β€œHow Will I Know” by Whitney Houston and closing out night one of the final with β€œSomewhere Over The Rainbow.”

Β 

Before Tuesday night’s live show, Wendy had this message for her fellow Memphians.

”Memphis has been behind me my whole career even as a teenager. And um, they’ve always loved me, I’ve always loved them and no matter how my career goes up and down, they’ve always been there for me. So thank you. I love you. I need you tonight more than anything and let’s take this home but I love each and every one of them and thank you so much,” said Moten.

Β 

Be sure to tune in tonight at 7 to see who is crowned the winner of β€œThe Voice.”

Β 

(I hope Wendy's Memphis fansβ€”along with her fans everywhere elseβ€”voted last night!)

Edited by RTV