The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

JULIET SIMMS - PART II

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952631d119f07746b5a4a

Juliet's musical career first started a good 15 years ago when she formed Automatic Loveletter with her brother, Tommy Simms, and several others. The first EP that was released was Recover in 2007, which largely consisted of demos and acoustic recordings. However, you could tell that the potential for some great music was there, and the it even received a limited run in Hot Topic stores in 2008 with two additional tracks. 2009 saw the three-track Automatic Loveletter EP release that consisted of three demo tracks for later albums.

If you were wondering what the albums in question were, let's get to 2010's Truth or Dare, which is still among my all-time favourite albums from a singing show alum. (Even if it was released before she went on The Voice, but still.) Every track on this album is a bop and I still blare it in the afternoons and pretend I'm a senior back in high school ranting on MySpace. :giggle:

ALBUM: 

ugh, I genuinely love this album so much that it's hard to pick what my favourites are. 😢 But if I had to pick, I would go with Heart SongFade AwayHushStory of My LifeLet It Ride, Eyes on YouMy Goodbye and Butterflies as the highlights.

Music videos were made for several songs from this album:

(Hush is technically the 2007 Recover EP version, but oh well.)

Truth or Dare saw a release in Japan courtesy of Sony BMG Japan, but a US release never happened. and Juliet has talked about how devastated she was when the album was pretty much treated like it never happened, and she was dropped from Sony not too long after that. 😢 I would also be incredibly pissed if I turned in such a masterpiece of an album only for it to not get the respect it deserved!

During this time, Juliet also contributed guest vocals to several pop punk and emo bands of that time span, with my personal favourite being her appearance on Secondhand Serenade's Fix You cover. This was actually the first time I'd ever heard Juliet's voice in my life, and it's where my love for her started because I just loved her TONE so much. 🥰

She also did appearances for LoveHateHero, Cartel, All Time Low, a second for Secondhand Serenade, and Win Win Winter during these years as well.

Shortly before she went on The Voice in 2011, Automatic Loveletter was pretty much down to just Juliet and her brother by now, so the two of them put together an acoustic album entitled The Kids Will Take Their Monsters On. Unfortunately, I wasn't super huge on this album (though I appreciated it for what it was), but it did have some highlights such as the re-arranged My Goodbye that was now called Black Ink Revenge.

FULL ALBUM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDO4hhfYqH4

Sometime between the first and second ALL albums, she also recorded an entire album when was signed to Epic Records. It ended up being scrapped due to creative differences between Juliet Simms and Epic Records (Fefe Dobson realness), but she did offer the album as a perk for subsequent album fundraising efforts. And I just realized I no longer have my copy of it saved, I need a moment :broken:

Following her incredible run on The Voice, Juliet was signed to Republic Records and at the time, we expected good things. However, when her first single was Wild Child - a song that did not fit her in the slightest - we all became worried. Though the song got an appearance in We're the Millers and she later did a far superior acoustic rendition, she found herself dropped from Republic Records. :broken:

During the summer of 2013, Juliet also made her return to Warped Tour for the first time in a few years, so I was obviously making plans to go. She had her own half hour set, where she did performances of a few ALL songs and a few of the songs she did on The Voice as well. One notable moment was when she talked about being on The Voice and as soon as she said she came in second, everyone started booing and chanting that she was our #1, which made her cry.  She also did a meet and greet afterwards, where I was able to meet her and flail about my love for her all those years.

She was also surprised when I had a copy of her Truth or Dare album because it was a rare thing for her to see physical copies of:

eKBgVkj.jpgdYxvpbL.jpg

Gg3ks6w.jpgIFkwdOk.jpg

LnwAmCt.jpg

After her becoming an independent artist once more, Juliet turned to crowdfunding services and began a campaign for her All or Nothing EP. There were various perks included, and Juliet actually made it an active campaign by offering 'from the vault' recordings every time certain monetary amounts were raised, which was awesome. I also realized I no longer have my copies of these songs, fml. One awesome aspect of the album was that anyone who contributed to the campaign could send in their photos with Juliet, and they would be included in the packaging, so the above five photos are all represented in the physical release of the EP. :wub:

As much as I loved Juliet during this time of my life, the next few years did see my love for her sadly going away over time. I wasn't really a fan of the follow-up album, From the Grave, or the singles that were attached to it. However, she DID release an absolutely stunning version of Hallelujah that I love. She also appeared as a guest vocalist for a Simple Plan song in 2016 as well.

A few singles followed in the years since, but most of the news that centred on Juliet around this time had more to do with her personal life, such as her marrying Andy Biersack from Black Veil Brides or their subsequent removal from a flight. For a while, things were quiet on the music front until Juliet announced that was rebranding herself as Lillth Czar in early 2021 and released a new single entitled King. To be completely honest, I was definitely not a fan of the single when I first heard it and thought the rebranding thing was stupid (I've said my peace on rebrandings over the years)... however, when the album finally came out, I completely changed my tune because it truly sounded like a return to the sound I loved from all those years ago. :wub:

ALBUM: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7t40Igh0XQ4myfj_-oIhlQJ97G8bn-sF

Of all the cuts in this rankdown, Juliet's was the one that hurt the most because I genuinely did not see it coming and expected her to do very well in the final vote. 😢 But I can't fault Lily for it since I imagine Juliet isn't really a contestant that she got the hype behind. :haha: Though I will confess that had I waited to do my cut until after Juliet was cut, I totally would've unceremoniously cut Amanda as revenge because I'm petty.

In conclusion, I've been a massive fan of Juliet Simms for over a decade now. It's been a journey full of high highs (her Voice run :wub:; meeting her :wub:; contributing to her music releases :wub:) and some low lows (her losing the Voice; ~2017-2020), but I also can't say it hasn't been an absolute blast the entire time. Her run on The Voice was nine yers ago, and I still to this day will go back and watch nearly all of her performances again. Hell, Truth or Dare is old enough to be nearly be a teenager, and I still drive around Kingston with the windows down blaring it while singing along. The months of fundraising for her All or Nothing EP and the subsequent goodies that came with it where among the peak of my Juliet fandom, and I still have amazing memories of interacting with other obsessed stans during the late night 'from the vault' music releases. I also have long maintained that The Voice wouldn't have become what it was during its heyday without Juliet's presence in season two (hell, the iTunes multiplier alone is proof since that since Juliet absolutely destroyed iTunes without there even being an incentive other than it counting as a single vote).

Thanks for everything, Juliet. ❤️

tenor.gif?itemid=4745044

oQ0SdN.gif

• Like 3

OUR WINNERS CIRCLE that's technically a square:

eAaPynA.jpg

Dia Frampton | Juliet Simms | TBA even if it's obvious | TBA

Jacquie Lee | Kat Perkins | Luke Wade | TBA

Barrett Baber | Hannah Huston | Billy Gilman | Lauren Duski

Chloe Kohanski | Dylan Hartigan | SandyRedd | Presley Tennant

MaryBeth Byrd | Todd Tilghman | Cami Clune | Corey Ward

Special shout-out to Chloe for currently being the only real-life winner to reclaim her title in the rankdown. ❤️

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Dia Frampton: 👁️👄👁️

And Dia!

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I like how you're not even pretending like Amanda could win S3 in here. :dead:

As hopeful as I am I know there’s no chance. :dead:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

TOP 15

dDaBzhb.png

11 women to 4 men. :rofl:

Nice would look better as a 3 by 5 though ❤️  Thanks very muvch will shove it on the first page!

And 4 men is more then you usually get in in an IDF rankdown, so I would say its an avvomplishment?  At least a little one!

20 minutes ago, Elliott said:

eAaPynA.jpg

Special shout-out to Chloe for currently being the only real-life winner to reclaim her title in the rankdown. ❤️

better then the actual winners circle, carry on rankers!

Just now, Solaris said:

Nice would look better as a 3 by 5 though ❤️  Thanks very muvch will shove it on the first page!

I did a grid set up for 16 people and only when I had 15 photos already placed did I remember that we were doing a Top 15, so I just centered the bottom row rather than redoing the entire thing. :rofl:

In an alternate reality, Kimberly Nichole doesn't get eliminated at the Top 6 and delivers this at some point in the subsequent weeks, and I would like to live in that timeline:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Elliott said:

eAaPynA.jpg

MAO Yikes.... I think  only 1 of these people were my favorite of their season. :dead:   I would have done so bad here. :dead:  Although a few were my 2nd faves at least.

19 hours ago, Elliott said:

I like how you're not even pretending like Amanda could win S3 in here. :dead:

LOL even us Amanda stans knows she stands no chance of winning for S3. :lmao:  😢 

19 hours ago, *Lily said:

As hopeful as I am I know there’s no chance. :dead:

Mhmmm. 😢 

20 hours ago, *Lily said:

I- how did the real The Voice even end up with a more diverse winners’ circle. 🙈 Season 8 you better come through we need you!

At least a black woman won a season here.... which hasn't happened in 20 seasons of the actual show. :broken: 

22 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Dylan*

That would imply it falls apart after Dylan since the word I used was between so glad to know you’re still fine with his win ❤️

12 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Tessanne Chin: 👁💋👁

I tend to forget she was half Jamaican sometimes. 🙈

12 minutes ago, Elliott said:

That would imply it falls apart after Dylan since the word I used was between so glad to know you’re still fine with his win ❤️

LOL Oh. 😐 

I meant Chloe then. :lmao: 

• Solaris changed the title to The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)