The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

Just say Cassadee.

Lol I was thinking that too. :haha: 

It’s Lily and all of her faves were your faves / would’ve been your faves. :dead:

LMAOO I was thinking the same thing. :dead: 

Me not even realizing I copied all of Chris’s post and not just the vote :dead:

LMAO I thought you did that on purpose. :dead: 

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Then I guess I'm tanking my faves 💅

😢 

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Yessss let it be known that I stan Todd Tilghman!! :wub:

:dead: 

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

LMAO I thought you did that on purpose. :dead: 

I mean I liked Hannah but I’m fine with her going given the options. Though I’m in my feelings about the Juliet cut so if Amanda was eliminated I wouldn’t be pressed

45 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

@Solaristhanks again for linking my bonus writeups to the OP! I did notice my bonus for Kameron was not linked there. Could you please link it when you have time? Thanks so much in advance! It's on page 83 FYI. 🙂

Done.

Also I need a Hannah Huston Write up from someone!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I hope everyone is doing their write ups.  I have 0/7 write ups and 0/7 rankings.  Right now the public decide the winner.  1 week left! 

Edited by Solaris
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:53 AM, Solaris said:

I hope everyone is doing their write ups.  I have 0/7 write ups and 0/7 rankings.  Right now the public decide the winner.  1 week left! 

Still this but 5 days left (including today!)

JULIET SIMMS - PART I

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952631d119f07746b5a4a

Juliet Simms was a contestant from the second season of The Voice, where she made it all the way to the finale and was absolutely robbed of the title with less than one percent of a point. Though her run on season two only consisted of a few performances owing to the format utilized that year, she absolutely slayed the competition, left us all #shook week after week and easily put together one of THE most iconic Voice runs among its twenty seasons. Some of y'all try and clown like she didn't set the bar impossibly high all those years ago because you didn't start watching until recently, so let me educate the class.

Her audition was to Oh! Darling, where she got three of the four coaches to turn their chairs. Blake was naturally the lone hold-out, which cemented my belief in 2012 that Blake Shelton ain't sh*t.

She chose to be on Cee Lo's team, which weirdly worked? I wasn't really a Cee Lo fan, but Adam probably would've made her do pop music like Republic Records did, Blake would've just turned her country and America clearly would've robbed her even earlier as a female rocker on Christina's team *glares at S8* so it is what it is. In the battles, she went up against someone named Sarah Gordon (again, WHOMST?) and rightfully destroyed her opponent to Stay With Me.

(Though side note: The absolute SHADE of them putting an off-key country singer against Juliet Simms to a classic rock song... I miss when The Voice actually put fodder into the battles for cuts instead of pairing all their front runners.)

Juliet came into the Top 24 as the CLEAR front runner for the title, and it wasn't even close. Her audition and Battle Rounds had already gone viral, and this was back before The Voice was really going viral. Her studio recordings were also destroying iTunes, and this was also before we had that lame multiplier. (I say as a Cassadee stan :dead:) So for the Top 24, Juliet had her sole non-pimp spot performance of the live rounds with a cover of The Police's Roxanne... and proceeded to leave zero wigs unsnatched in the process.

Another performance going viral on social media and another studio recording slaying on iTunes before we even reached the finals proper? Legendary. Queen sh*t. When will your favourites.

After that, the Top 16/12 round (I honestly don't know what this is considered because of how the eliminations worked, so we'll just go with it being referred to as both) saw Juliet & Cee Lo's most, er, experimental performance as she took on Aerosmith's Cryin with what I dubbed the angel wings of death. Now while this may objectively be Juliet's worst performance, the fact that this was Juliet at her worst says it all. I've seen like half of this show's winners turn in a worst performance than this as their best performance, but I'm not gonna go single any of them out Brynn Cartelli.

As the result of the coach's instant elimination, the remaining three contestants from each team were put up to the vote where only the top vote getter from each coach would directly advance. Juliet ended up landing in the bottom two from Cee Lo's team... which honestly wasn't a terrible result because I did think Jamar's performance was better between the two. :ph34rwave: HOWEVER WE CAN CHOOSE INSTEAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GOD AWFUL FORMAT OF SEASON 2 FOR MAKING IT SO THAT JAMAR AND JULIET COULDN'T BE THE FINAL TWO. BUT I WILL GET TO THAT LATER.

Anyway, left to her own devices, Juliet turned in her most vulnerable moment yet when she delivered a soft rock version of Natalie Imbruglia's Torn. Queen of playing the game to garner the vulnerability edit when she needed it the most. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqJj2QWJYY

(this video can't be embedded because of old YouTube restrictions, so just click the link.)

Anyway, Cee Lo was obviously choosing Juliet to advance, and she bounced back with the greatest comeback in the history of television EVER when she once again received the pimp spot and delivered THE greatest performance of The Voice's first seven seasons. Some people will say subsequent performances overtook it, but they're wrong. ❤️ This performance has over two million views from an upload that occurred after the official channel removed the video. WHEN WILL YOUR FAVES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNk3BJ8IGbY

Adam's comments after this clearly were the start of him deciding to bus his teammates because he knew he was mad he didn't fight hard enough for Juliet. :giggle: Anyway, the format for the first two seasons had the coaches divvy up points, and Juliet sailed into the finale with 60 points from Cee Lo and 61 points from America, resulting in the robbery of Jamar Rogers. Again I repeat... THIS FORMAT WAS HOT GARBAGE BECAUSE JULIET & JAMAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE TOP TWO, THANKS FOR COMING TO MY TED TALK.

Coming into the finale, literally everyone and everything was predicting a Juliet victory. It looked like we watching All Stars 5 years before it transpired. For her first song, Juliet was saddled with Gnarls Barkley's Crazy... which we'll ignore because ew. Her second song was a duet to Cee Lo, and the two of them took on Born to be Wild. Considering how little similarities there were in their voices, they did manage to find a song that worked for both of them, though Juliet obviously outperformed Cee Lo. And for not only her final performance of the season, but the final performance of the voting rounds, Juliet took on Lynyrd Skynyrd's classic Free Bird and delivered another incredible performance. Only Juliet Simms could take a 16-minute song and still deliver a flawless 3 minute rendition of it. :wub: As before, Juliet's performances dominated iTunes after the finale, with Free Bird charting the highest of all the performances from the Top 4.

The finale was marred by some weird group performances and celebrity duets (whomever thought Flo Rida and Juliet Simms would be a good pairing... who hurt you?), and I'm sure most of us were bored just waiting for the final result. And, like we all predicted, Juliet wo--

Oh, that's right. Showing that they clearly can't be counted on to make correct decisions, America decided to crown Jermaine Paul over Juliet Simms, and The Voice should've just been cancelled after that result because it was truly horrifying. Juliet Simms came into the season, delivered incredible performance after incredible performance, only to lose out on the title by a slim margin. America, who hurt you? I blame Blake Shelton. 😘

Anyway, now that I've covered Juliet's flawless run on The Voice, we will be looking back at her vast musical output, stemming from the days of Automatic Loveletter to self-released to... whatever it is she's doing nowadays.

• Like 3

Hannah Huston

5734d5ef73fad.image.jpg?resize=1200,766

I'm disappointed Hannah couldn't make it into the final vote, but when it came down to her and Cassadee it was basically the equivalent of when a coach puts one of their favorites up against someone who they kinda just ended up with on their team. It's a shame because Hannah was a great contestant and a badass vocalist. Hannah had my stan card from her blind audition of "Unaware" by Allen Stone, she sounded great and turned three chairs, joining Pharrell's team. In the process she also pretty much immediately shut down Blake Shelton's plea and I knew I was ready to stan.

Hannah showed good promise from her first performance and then continuously showed that she was a force to be reckoned with. She faced off against Maya Smith in the battle round to "Elastic Heart" by Sia, and while I was a Maya fan (as shown by my random bringback of her in the wildcard section of the game :haha:), Hannah bodied this. I mean, they both did a great job but Hannah just had that extra something special. And then she really brought it home in the knockouts with "House of the Rising Sun". Like damn, tough song to do and it seemed to come at ease to Hannah. You could tell at this point Pharrell really knew he had a goldmine on his team.

I really enjoyed Hannah's song selections over the live shows. A lot of songs that appear on these shows a lot - "Ain't No Way", "I Can't Make You Love Me" etc., but she always had her own really cool and smooth take on them. I wasn't sure what Hannah's popularity would be like with the GP over the season and I was very pleased when she was able to make it straight through to the finals on the first public votes, and into third place. Her original song of "I Call the Shots" is one of my favorite original songs the show has delivered too - I feel like it got a pretty hit or miss reception but it stood out to me in its own way, I thought it had a really cool sound that we don't necessarily get from a lot of these original/'winner' songs on shows like this? I haven't followed Hannah a great deal since her time on the show, but seems she's still going strong with music. And she's also married now, so congrats to her! I was gonna hold out on doing the write-up but I had some time this evening to relive some performances I really enjoyed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I'm disappointed Hannah couldn't make it into the final vote, but when it came down to her and Cassadee it was basically the equivalent of when a coach puts one of their favorites up against someone who they kinda just ended up with on their team

Or for us homosexuals, it was Miz Cracker wearing a corset going against Shea Coulée to a Janelle Monaé lip sync.

• Haha 1

ROBBED QUEENS

Season 1

Dia Frampton

Season 2

Juliet Simms

Season 4

Amber Carrington

Sasha Allen

Judith Hill

Michelle Chamuel

Season 5

Tessanne Chin

• Like 2

Second part of my write-up is obviously coming, but I will never understand why Republic Records saw Juliet on The Voice and thought THIS was a good fit for her musically:

Edited by Elliott

• Solaris changed the title to The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)