The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

SISAUNDRA LEWIS

fc58b0530ad326b83ca10f5a5d970368.jpg

The decision to nominate Sisaundra Lewis during my round was one that I struggled with, as I really enjoyed Sisaundra on the 6th season of The Voice. But unfortunately, I was very limited with the contestants that were eligible to be nominated during my round which meant Sisaundra found herself to be one of the shield during my battle.   

Let's talk more about Sisaundra whom I absolutely loved on her season from the moment she auditioned with "Ain't No Way" - me being a fan of hers should come to no surprise considering she has a close connection to my all-time favourite singer, Céline Dion.  Following her audition, she shocked everyone by choosing Blake Shelton as her mentor following receiving the famous 4-chairs turn. 

She truly dominated her fellow competitors on Team Blake - she delivered an impressive vocal performance of "Do What U Want" in the battle round against Paula DeAnda, and  her experience came through when she SANG the hell out of "It's A Man's World" during the 2nd round of the Battle.  She truly never had a terrible performance during her time on The Voice - whether it be her playoff performance of "New York State of Mind", her rendition of an overdone Elton John's song, and even the questionable choice that was "Oh Sherrie" which was my least favourite of hers.   She found herself in the Quarterfinals where she found herself eliminated after delivering a commendable rendition of "River Deep, Mountain High" and "Natural Woman" during the sing-off which we knew she was going home considering who she faced off in the sing-off. 

I must say that Sisaundra making it all the way to this point is truly impressive as I don't think she was on anyone's radar until now - although it was hard to have anyone on our radar considering the fast pace of this rankdown :giggle: 

• Like 2

JAMAR ROGERS

image.

A contestant on the 2nd season of The Voice, Jamar Rogers was able to receive a chair turn from CeeLo following his version of "Seven Nation Army" - my personal favourite of his & my favourite version to be done on The Voice #ISaidWhatISaid. After being on Team CeeLo, he easily made it through the Battle with "I Want To Know What Love Is" which was followed by him performing "Are You Gonna Go My Way" during the first live show.  He made it through on Public's vote, and would receive the public's seal of approval following his performance of "It's My Life".  Unfortunately, he got eliminated during the Semi-Finals after performing "If You Don't Know Me By Now" which was an interest song choice - he did what he could with the song though. 

Although I never cared for him on The Voice or as an artist, he made it further in the rankdown than I expected so kudos to his fans for being able to achieve that. And I am just glad that Juliet won her season as she should have had during the season.

MARY SARAH

marysarah_thevoice_nbc.jpg

Featured on the 10th season of The Voice, alongside Alisan Porter and Hannah Huston, Mary Sarah was the highlight of the season for me along with another contestant. In fact, I knew that Mary Sarah would be a top favourite of mine from the moment her audition aired - she auditioned with "Where The Boys Are" and not only did I fell in love with her rendition, but I also fell in live with her tone and voice.   And to no one surprises, she found herself on Team Blake where her first order of business was to face off against Justin Whisnant where they performed Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn's "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" - she was the star of the battle where she completely held her own and the song really complimented the song.  Following the Battle, she took part in the Knockout where she performed another Loretta Lynn song - I absolutely love her take on "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)" which is one of my personal favourite of hers as it really complimented her voice and tone. 

After sailing through the toughest stage of the competition, she was able to impress the public with her authentic country sound while putting her own twist on a classics such as "Rose Garden" and "Stand By Your Man" which I absolutely love her studio version of this song.  With her traditional country sound, which was my favourite thing about her as it gave me a lot of Kacey Musgraves/Brandi Clark/Ashley Monroe vibe, she was still able to put her own twist on modern country songs such as Carrie Underwood's "So Small" - I love that she didn't try to outdo Carrie with this song, Heidi Newfield's hit song known as "Johnny & June" - I remember being excited that she was singing this song as I was obsessed with it back in the day & Heidi Newfeld deserved more success than she experienced, and "My Church" - I always loved how her voice went well with this song. 

While all the performances mentioned above were all excellent in their own rights, there's nothing that really came close to her performance of "I Told You So" - her version was the one that came the closest to Carrie Underwood's version of this Randy Travis' classic.  Vocally, she nailed every aspects about it on top of being able to deliver the emotional aspect of the song.  This would also be her only ITunes bonus of the season, which was unfortunately not enough to avoid the Instant Save where she delivered a beautiful version of "Something In The Water" which was her last performance on The Voice - she missed the finale although I think she could have made it over Laith or Adam. 

Personally speaking, I am truly happy that I was able to get her to this point of the rankdown although I was lowkey hoping that she could have had sneaked through this round. But as I mentioned earlier, I am really happy with her showing in this rankdown as I find that her journey is generally underrated or overlooked due to being on the same season as IDF's Favourite alias Alison Porter.  To conclude, Mary Sarah is the kind of country singers that I want to see more of on the show - authentically country who knows their sound and know how to choose song for their tone. 

And with that, the write-up is complete & @sublymonal only has one write-up left to do!

• Like 3

MARYBETH BYRD, Season 17 (Team Legend)

IMG_9267-cmyk1.jpg

I know I may have gotten a reputation for being anti-female, but I do like listening to female artists on The Voice from time to time. Marybeth was definitely one of those females I liked. There's a clarity and pureness to her voice that I found very enticing. I liked her audition of Angel from Montgomery a lot, but unfortunately I didn't think Marybeth lived up to the potential from her blind audition. I blame it mostly on TPTB and John Legend, who somehow got into their heads that Marybeth was a country artist, even though her audition was barely country adjacent. That has led to John making some terrible song choices for Marybeth in the lives (Before He Cheats, REALLY???) that squashed her chances at making it further on the competition. It's especially frustrating since John had his best live show team during that season, and he squandered them all by making them sing completely out of their comfort zones. Oh well. Good luck out there Marybeth!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Lose You to Love Me (Top 10)

This is the only live show performance from Marybeth I actually liked. It's so good, I'm mad that they didn't make her go in this direction.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

TONEISHA HARRIS, Season 18 (Team Blake)

the-voice-Toneisha-Harris.jpg

I first heard of Toneisha before Season 18, where she was a part of a circle of friends that the IDF spoiler team identified as potential auditioners. They dubbed this circle #TeamDENNYs, because they were identified by their regular late night IG stories at a Dennys that was nearby the hotel where the auditioners are sequestered. She was one of the few 4 chair turners of Season 18, and she made history that season as the first African-American female to be runner-up of a Voice season. As for my opinion on her, I like her enough and I thought she deserved to be Top 2 that season, but I think she's one of the artists that really got shortchanged by the recorded-from-home format that the show was forced to do to finish Season 18 in the middle of the pandemic. I feel like she would have given my man Todd a run for his money if she actually got to show her massive chops on the actual live Voice stage. I also liked her personality a lot, I know Todd absolutely loves being in the same team as her, and she seems to be a lovely positive human being. Hope she and her family are doing well!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Loving You (Semifinals Instant Save)

Man I always wanted someone to sing this song on The Voice. And she did great with it, even if it's prerecorded.

• Like 1

Stephanie Rice

Stephanie is only someone that I vaguely remembered so I nominated her for that reason and also because I wanted to give "That Lauren girl" the season 12 win. Season 12 really was just the Chris vs Lauren showdown and everyone else was background vocalists for them basically. I listened to Stephanie's blind audition of Piece by Piece and it was fine but I wasn't in love with it by any means. She turned 2 chairs with that performance and chose to be on Team Gwen. She would stay on Team Gwen till the knockouts where she would lose to Troy Ramey but she was stolen by Alicia. She someone how made it past the playoff round but only to be eliminated in the top 11. This seems like a really fair placement for her all things considered so congrats to her on that. Here's her Piece by Piece Blind Audition.

Noah Mac

Noah is a strange case for as he is someone that I really did like a lot early on but then he faded pretty hard towards the end because he stopped caring and trying and you could tell he was totally over the whole experience. Noah was on season 13 of the Voice and he started off on Team Blake but he lost his battle to Keisha Renee and then was stolen by Jennifer Hudson. His Knockout performance was a particular favorite of mine when he sang " Hold Back The River" he was very energetic and his vocals were on point and he just did a really good job. He continued to give good performances for a bit but something about the live performances changed him I guess and he ended up losing a twitter save battle in which he should have easily won but he didn't so he ended up in 5th/6th place. I am not sure what he has been up to post voice if anything at all but I wish him luck in whatever he chooses to do. 

• Sad 1

KAMERON MARLOWE, Season 15 (Team Adam)

06d5075a4da5f14d0652f3da31e216c6.jpg

I'm a little salty Kameron was eliminated earlier than I had planned, but it is what is. Anyway, Kameron is one of two country artists that are enshrined in my Pantheon of Golden Snowflakes™. He's an instant snowflake for me, which is to say that I immediately knew he's the artist I'm stanning for when I first stumbled upon his name in the S15 spoiler lists. If I were to describe his voice and tone in one word, it'll be "gruff". It's smoky, gritty, and even a little bit grungy at times, which is in stark contrast to his boyish looks. The first cover I saw of him was of a live performance of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, and I was floored by the maturity of his voice and his sense of rhythm. I was caught, hook, line and sinker. And like my other Snowflakes™, Kameron is extremely nice, approachable and appreciative of his fans. We actually DM back and forth on IG, even way after his run on the show.

Speaking of,  just like Sid, Ryan and Michael, Kameron's Voice journey sadly was very shortlived, thanks to the machinations of the TPTB, who decided to cut down on the surplus of country talent in the extremely stacked Season 15 playoffs. It was especially annoying because Kameron was very consistent and never made a misstep vocally throughout his run. He even showed versatility in his performances, tackling country, rock and even reggae (his KO of I Shot the Sherriff is one of the most out-of-the-box choices I've seen in recent years). Adam could have had his country ace to beat Blake that season, and he threw it all away for that whiny surfer dude that was immediately eliminated the next round. Karma's a bitch. Yes, take me with cream because I'm still that bitter.

Fortunately, Kameron got the last laugh, because he can now comfortably claim the title of being the most successful Voice alumni of Season 15. After his run on the show, Kameron immediately moved to Nashville and starting gigging and writing songs. On June 2019, he independently released a song that he had in his pocket for a while. It was a song that he wrote in the aftermath of a breakup with his girlfriend of 5 years. That song is entitled "Giving You Up", and it became his breakthrough hit, earning him 39M Spotify streams, and a music video that reached 25M views. Did I mention this was a completely independent release? The immense success of the single spurred the interest of Sony/Columbia Nashville, who quickly signed him to a contract on June 26, 2020, which happens to be my 28th birthday! Since then he has opened for Lee Brice, Chris Young and Brad Paisley, released several singles and an EP that earned him 1M monthly listeners on Spotify, and sold out shows across America. Better get your shades on, coz Kameron's star is on the rise, and it's only going to get brighter! #WhenWillYourFaves

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I Shot the Sheriff (Knockouts)

Such a wild song choice, I live for unexpected performances like this on The Voice!

And just because I can, here's Kameron's original song Giving You Up, the song that changed everything for him. ❤️ 

7aaJVsE.png

@*WallaceI hope your memory is sufficiently refreshed, LOL.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 2

LUKE WADE, Season 7 (Team Pharrell)

ZSehK8A.png

Ah, Luke, one of my OG
Snowflakes™. Since I was not yet on the spoiler team during Season 7, I only knew of him the minute he stepped on The Voice stage, but it was love at first sight! I love me a good soul singer with lots of grit and funk, and Luke is certainly that. I absolutely love the tone of his voice, and he's not afraid to let it loose on stage. And while Season 7 gifted me with a lot of amazing talent to stan, Luke always had a special place in my heart, thanks to his chill, hilarious personality. There's just something about his presence that's infectiously positive. And for a while, America was really into it, and he became one of the early frontrunners of Season 7.

Unfortunately, on the Top 12 Live Shows, Luke flubbed a line on the opening lines of his performance of Thinking Out Loud. He managed to power through the song, but he was never the same after that. It seems like that mistake crushed his confidence in himself, and it showed in his subsequent performances. Eventually, America sensed that change, and Luke ended up getting eliminated on Top 8 week. That experience taught me a lesson in the value of being in the right headspace when competing in a reality show competition. If you don't believe in yourself, the audience won't either, and they'll vote accordingly.

Fortunately, Luke seems to be doing just fine out of the Voice bubble. He successfully Kickstarted a full-length album (that I was able to be a part of), recorded a cover of Work Song that got featured on So You Think You Can Dance, toured consistently, got married to a beautiful woman named Anne, and released music under two different names: LAWS and YOUNGTONES. Come to think of it, Luke's discography is definitely my second favorite out of all my snowflakes. I especially love his preVoice album The River, his Kickstarter album Only Ghosts, and his songs under his YOUNGTONES name. He actually released a song yesterday called Ivory Tower that y'all should definitely check out 
here!

And in a full circle moment, Luke was hired by Michelle McNulty as part of the casting team that currently scouts talent for The Voice! He's actually the reason that Barrett Baber auditioned for The Voice in the first place, so it makes perfect sense for him to do this!

Stay cool and fresh Luke! ❤️

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Try A Little Tenderness (Top 10)

I can't find the actual Voice performance, so enjoy the studio version here. So good! ❤️

xg5vVUm.png

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 3

PRESLEY TENNANT

Presley-Tennant-The-Voice-620x375.jpg

WHOMST? She's young and blonde so of course IDF likes her. :giggle: I literally have no recollection of her, which made me think she was from one of the most recent seasons, but it turns out she was from season 16. Oops. Wikipedia tells me she did Stone Cold, aka one of the worst Demi Lovato songs, for her audition. In the battle rounds, she did Whataya Want From Me and won. In the cross battles, she did Love on the Brain. I'M SORRY, SHE WON A CROSS BATTLE? I HAVE NO MEMORY OF HER. She was ultimately eliminated in the live playoffs. Just looking at the songs she did, I can already tell she was a more interesting contestant than Maelyn Jarmon, so I'm not even pressed she won her season in this rankdown. But out she goes now.

• Haha 3

CAMI CLUNE

Cami-Clune.-Photo-by-Chris-HastonNBC.jpg

Again.... WHOMST? She's young and blonde so of course IDF likes her. :giggle: I literally have no recollection of her, which made me think she was from one of the most recent seasons... and this time I was right. Love that journey for me. :wub: Wikipedia tells me she's from the nineteenth season, and she apparently made it far???? She did Skinny Love in her audition. How original. It was followed by Wicked Game in the battles, I Put a Spell on You in the knockouts and an INXS song in the live playoffs... which only consisted of 17 people. I've seen the video of her Play-offs performance posted in here several times. Apparently it's supposed to have made me a fan, but all I could think about was how her performing that was like watching a Chihuahua think he was a pit bull. I said what I said. Anyway, she didn't make it via America's vote (because apparently only the top vote getter from each coach made it through? wtf is The Voice doing with their format lately?) Kelly picked her, so she made it to the Top 9 and performed The Joke by Brandi Carlisle. She wasn't the top vote getter from Kelly's team, so she was in the 'bottom five' Instant Save and did when the party's over by Billie Eilish. She was eliminated. I checked out some of her other performances and while I can't say I'm a fan, I also remember who won that season so she was robbed in that regard.

• Haha 2

ZACH SEABAUGH

zach-seabaugh.jpeg?_v=20210523152530&fit=crop&crop=faces%20entropy&w=1200&h=630

Doing this write-up for Lily since I know she isn't a fan. :haha: Anyway, as is probably well known, Zach is among my all-time favourite contestants from The Voice and is one of the handful of contestants whose post-show career I've followed and gotten invested in. Zach first rose to prominence on the ninth season of The Voice, auditioning to Sam Hunt's Take Your Time. For a while, it looked like he would be a zero-chair turn but Blake, Adam and Pharrell (...I forgot he was a coach at one point) ended up turning for him at the end of his audition, and he joined Team Blake.

In the battles round, he was up against Tyler Dickson and wound up winning the battle. In the knockouts, he fittingly chose a song by Hunter Hayes (:wub:) and wound up victorious. In the live play-offs, he ended up slaying the others on Team Blake (except for Barrett, obvz) with his performance of Brand New Girlfriend. I'm sure IDF was seething at Barrett and Zach being the top two from Blake's team in the results, but that's truly when we should've just stopped S9 being that was never going to be topped short of them being the actual top two :wub::wub::wub::wub:

For the Top 12, he took on My Love by Little Texas in the pimp spot and delivered another great performance. After that, it was followed up by Thompson Square's Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not? Given the comparisons towards Scotty McCreery that IDF had for him, it was kind of a hilarious song choice in retrospect. :haha: Nonetheless, it was another great performance from Zach and he easily sailed through to the Top 9, where he did Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen. This was a song that Blake assigned for me, and I'm not sure what he was thinking, because it was definitely not the kind of music Zach would do himself. But at least with only a bottom two being announced (Zach was one of the three contestants who didn't get the Top 10 multiplier bonus), he was still safe.

In the Top 9, facing a massive 5-person elimination, Zach took on Miley Cyrus's The Climb... which okay, work. It was definitely a bounce back from the previous week, and IDF was left pressed like a panini once more when Zach wasn't even in the bottom three. :wub: For the Twitter Save, he took on Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying, which meant that I was easily voting for him to survive. In the end, he round up placing second behind Jeffery Austin and finished the season in fifth, which was a bummer. (I like Jeffery, so don't @ me.) But at least I could experience IDF being pressed by Barrett in the Top 3 and Zach almost making the finale. :giggle:

In the years after The Voice, Zach's been active with his music career, releasing an EP shortly after his time on The Voice (that his "coach" didn't even acknowledge until Zach's fans tweeted at Blake to promote it, smh). He took a couple years off from releasing music to focus on his studies and experiment with different styles, but he's been active again the past few months, releasing new singles and using TikTok to promote his music.

Here's him covering his bro Barrett's song:

A couple of songs from his self-titled EP:

And some of his recent music:

I've also gotten to see Zach live a couple of times now, and really enjoyed his sets both times. He definitely grew between the first year to the second year, so I can only imagine how good his voice has gotten now that it's been a few years. Plus now that he's actually in his 20s, he'll be able to do more shows at CMAFest when it finally happens again. :haha:

hQz3g0d.jpg

3bJU7cX.jpg

6DonqD9.jpg

NY40Y0A.jpg

• Like 2

Cycle 7: The Bloodbath/Final Cuts

The Voice' bloodbath: Who was most robbed of spot in Top 9? [POLL]

IDF has come up with the term The Bloodbath.  This refers to the mega cut round that happens right before the finals in most seasons.  This final cut stage will be a little different then previous rankdowns.

There are 15 spots available in the Final Ranking.  You each get your coaches save which is due at 8 PM CST tonight.  Then you will each cut one of the 16 left vulnerable.  This will leave 9 left.  One more person must still leave.  How will this work?  You will each advance one of the remaining 9 to the Top 15.  The last 2 remaining will face off in a final battle (because we haven't had enough in this rankdown!) 

This will take us to 15!

TL;DR

1. 7 Coaches Saves

2. 7 Cut

3. 7 More Coaches Saves

4. Final Battle (1 Saved, 1 Cut)

Still waiting on those last 3 write ups too!

Top 23:

Ali Caldwell

Amanda Brown

Amber Carrington

Barrett Baber

Billy Gilman

Caroline Glaser

Cassadee Pope

Chloe Kohanski

Corey Ward

Dia Frampton

Hannah Huston