The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

Team Usher coming in hot!

giphy.gif

Well, glad this last set is a lot easier to decide for me than the last two. Although I liked all of these guys, my save this round is:

EECZ3hP.png

TODD TILGHMAN, Season 18 (Team Blake)

Jake Hoot

Jake Hoot was the winner of season 17 of The Voice and he was on Team Kelly.  I really liked a lot of contestants on season 17 so I enjoyed that season as a whole but Jake was one of the few people that I didn't care about so of course he ended up winning lol. Jake followed in Chris Blue's footsteps and was the last to audition and so he only turned 1 chair with Kelly. He was a male country singer and those almost always go with Blake if they have a choice but since Jake didn't have a choice he went with Kelly who I would assume would probably have been his second choice. I would talk about all of Jake's performances but I tuned that out so I don't really remember any of them lol so oh well. Here's him singing with Kelly since her being apart of the performance makes it a lot more tolerable. 

ASHLEY DE LA ROSA

Ashley-De-La-Rosa.JPG

Out of the remaining contestants, Ashley De La Rose was one of the contestants that I felt comfortable with nominating without being too upset if she ended up getting cut - I am glad that she was brought back into the game as I do think she's very underrated but again, this is a more than decent spot for her.  As a contestant on the 2nd season of The Voice, she impressed me with her blind audition where she took on VV Brown's "Shark in The Water" which was brilliant and sounded like VV on it. After her blind audition, she was part of Team Christina where she won her battle against Jonathas (who?) on "No Air" - she was amazing on that one too.  For the remainder of the competition, she completely knew how to pander me with her song choices - Alanis's "Right Through You", Grace Potter's "Paris (Oh La La"), Jewel's "Foolish Games" and Lady Gaga's "You and I".  And since The Voice, Ashley has found success on Broadway where she appeared in Beautifuk : The Carole King Musical, Mean Girls, and the National Tour of Hamilton - there's a few videos out there of her singing some Broadway songs and I still in love with her voice.

• Sad 1

FRENCHIE DAVIS

frenchie-060711.jpg?w=980&q=75

Incredibly proud that Frenchie was able to make it as far as she did in this rankdown especially considering she's often forgotten about in the Voice fandom - they should consider themselves lucky that someone of Frenchie Davis' calibre decided to audition for The Voice. Anyway, I remember the moment when I found out that Frenchie was auditioning for The Voice - I was so excited for her especially after how she was treated on American Idol especially after giving one of my favourite performance of her season.  And on the Voice, Frenchie's experience came through during every performances that she delivered - she completely washed the floor with Tarralyn Ramsey during the Battle round where she showed her how it's done.  During the live performances, Frenchie killed it especially with  "When Love Takes Over" and her journey ended with Madonna's "Like a Prayer" - I actually enjoyed that performance & I thought she should have survived based on that performance; She went home way too early especially when considering that she was one of the better singer / contestant of the first ever season of The Voice.

Edited by *Chris

Congrats to our Top 39!

Dia Frampton

Juliet Simms

Jamar Rogers

Cassadee Pope

Amanda Brown

Sasha Allen

Amber Carrington

Sarah Simmons

Caroline Glaser [WC]

Jacquie Lee

Josh Kaufman

Kat Perkins

Sisaundra Lewis

Luke Wade

Meghan Linsey

Koryn Hawthorne

India Carney

Kimberly Nichole

Barrett Baber

Jeffrey Austin

Zach Seabaugh

Hannah Huston

Mary Sarah

Billy Gillman

Ali Caldwell

Lauren Duski

Stephanie Rice

Chloe Kohanski

Noah Mac

Dylan Hartigan [WC]

Kennedy Holmes

SandyRedd

Kameron Marlowe [WC]

Presley Tennant [WC]

Marybeth Byrd

Todd Tilghman

Toneisha Harris

Cami Clune

Corey Ward

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Solaris said:

three? 😮 

3 of my Golden Snowflakes™ got eliminated this round, and I committed to doing write-ups for each of them for this rankdown. 😆😆😆

I already finished one, I'll see if I do one more.

Just now, Teraginn said:

3 of my Golden Snowflakes™ got eliminated this round, and I committed to doing write-ups for each of them for this rankdown. 😆😆😆

I already finished one, I'll see if I do one more.

Oh okay!  Yea I can always add additional write ups in later as bonus write ups.  

Tessanne Chin

I wasn't really sure how my round was going to play out but I didn't think that Tessanne would go but it is what it is I guess. I like Tessanne mostly as she had some really strong performances. A couple of her performances didn't really do much for me but a lot of her performances I was like wow that's impressive.  Season 5 was one of the strongest seasons that the show has had and I did have other people that I liked more than her so while I did like her I never actually voted for but she won season 5 and she is definitely a worthy winner. Her Blind Audition of Try was very good but the performance from her that I was most impressed by was her performance of I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston. Whitney is in a league of her own but Tessanne was one of the few that at least did her songs justice so major props to her on that front. Here's her performance of that if you wanna check it out.

• Sad 1

MICHAEL SANCHEZ, Season 11 (Team Alicia)

2rAKlyQ.png

This cut is the hardest one for me so far, because although Michael's Voice journey was the shortest one among my Golden Snowflakes™, his post Voice career is one of the ones I'm most invested in. I immediately latched on to him when I discovered his name on the spoiler lists for Season 11 and heard that deep, velvety tone of his that calls to mind many of the jazz greats, like Andy Williams, Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. I love me a good throwback crooner, and I think he's the best crooner the show ever had across 20 seasons. But what I love even more about him is that he's a very eclectic musician who loves and does all styles. Whether it be classic rock, country, gospel, pop or classical, Michael has done it at some point. And to top it all off, he has mad piano skills, being classically trained as a child. I would pay good money to see a piano faceoff between him and Sid! 

As I said before, his Voice journey may be short, but he was definitely one of the highlights of Season 11 for many people. His battle and knockout in particular were fantastic, especially the latter. The results of that KO to me is the biggest robbery the show had perpetrated, and so many agreed, so much so that for a brief moment the phrase "Michael Sanchez was robbed" became an inside joke among IDF members and Voice fans on social media. 

I will admit that one of the reasons I'm so invested in Michael during his season and beyond is because of our interactions on social media. As a #professionalfanboy, it brings me great joy when people I love to engage with returns the favor, and while over the years my stanning of artists was met with mixed success, Michael was nothing but nice and appreciative to me for the support, and that remains one of the most positive experiences I ever had as a Voice fanboy. 

Post Voice, Michael has done quite well for himself. He is now a musical director for the Shadow Mountain Community Church in CA, has released two full-length albums, and is taking care of his two lovely boys (Noah and Levi) with his beautiful wife Maria. We don't get to interact much nowadays, but I'm sure he's busy living his life and making music. So much music, now that I think about it, because Michael has the third most songs in my iTunes library, only behind Boyce Avenue and Barrett Baber. I have been watching livestreams of services from Michael's church, trying to catch any great musical performances from him, and that has led me to curate a collection of live tracks from him, which probably explains why I'm still invested in him to this day. Other snowflakes of mine should take notes: livestreaming is the way of the future now for engagement!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Just the Two of Us (Knockouts)

#MichaelSanchezWasRobbed

c68B2L2.png

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

RYAN QUINN, Season 10 (Team Xtina)

NUP_172495_1176-2.jpg

There are two artists in my Pantheon™ that I think embody the title and spirit of The Voice, and Ryan Quinn is one of them. Just based on pure vocal skill, Ryan is unlike any other snowflake I ever had. He has an impress 4-octave vocal range, and he's also a multi-instrumentalist, being influenced by his drummer father when he was a child. When I first stumbled upon him during the preseason, I had no idea of how crazy of a vocalist he is, but after looking into more of his material, I was floored. His crazy range allows him to cover a wide range of genres, whether it be jazz, pop, country, singer/songwriter, folk, or classic rock, which I think is his strongest genre for sure. Artists like Ryan are what I'm looking for on this show: talented right out the gate, but who just needs to be raised up so that everyone can appreciate them. He's also extremely appreciative and engaging with fans on social media, which only adds to my standom for him. Unfortunately, Ryan had the misfortune of not only being in an extremely stacked season, but also being the victim of #TeamMinivan's terrible voting decisions, when they voted Nick f***ing Hagelin over him because of his sob story with his son. Even his coach Christina couldn't believe it when Ryan didn't get the public vote, which sucked because I truly think Xtina enjoyed working with Ryan and would have preferred her team that season to be Alisan, Ryan and Bryan. I think Ryan's elimination truly opened my eye to the pernicious influence of #TeamMinivan on this competition, and I was jaded ever since. Fortunately, Ryan did not take his elimination lying down, and after showing the competition up with his group performance with Alisan in the S10 finale, Ryan hit the ground running and became a full time gigging musician and part time vocal coach, recorded an original EP, went viral on social media for his rock tributes, worked with Postmodern Jukebox, performed countless gigs and private events, moved in (and out of) LA and is now currently dating Tamara Beatty, a reality show vocal coach. Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, he also transitioned into being a Twitch streamer, performing 2-3 hour gigs at least 4 times a month. Gotta love a hardworking, prolific musician!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I'm Not the Only One (Live Playoffs)

Xtina being ecstatic here for Ryan's slayage is a mood. ❤️ DAMN YOU MINIVAN!

GP-Entertainment-Ryan-Quinn.jpg

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

WILL BREMAN, Season 17 (Team Legend)

DW7dCY2.png

After the s***show that was Season 16, my interest in The Voice was at an all-time low. My favorites up until that point were either eliminated before playoffs, or robbed blind in the Semifinals despite being popular and consistent. I made the running joke that the show has hexed me and my faves after Season 9 when I got greedy and had two snowflakes in the finale, but the joke has started to become too real. Sensing my frustration, the Voice gods decided to bless me and gave me a snowflake that will resuscitate my loyalty to the show. That snowflake is one Will Breman, a blue-haired singer/songwriter from CA. I was instantly hooked by his dry, self-deprecating sense of humor, his surprisingly peppy personality and his unique voice, which has the texture and tone of Dean Lewis, but also the rhythm and inflection of Jason Mraz. It's such a weird but fascinating combination, unlike anything I've heard before on this show. 

One thing I loved about Will's journey on this show is how unabashedly authentic he is about his artistry. He isn't afraid to put his stamp on his performances, as seen by his truly one-of-a-kind covers of Say You'll Be There and Style. I also love his awkward but endearing personality, which I was afraid was gonna be a turn-off for some preseason, but it turned out to be one of his assets in the live rounds. I absolutely enjoyed watching Will being his real self onstage, even if he wasn't the flashiest or the most skilled artist out there. His presence was refreshing after several seasons of exasparation and disappointment, and while he did not get into the finale as I hoped, I appreciated him for reinvigorating my passion for the show. 

Post-Voice, Will got back into the swing of things and continued gigging all around CA and rerecording his blind audition and an EP of his from years ago. Unfortunately, the pandemic and a bad experience with toxic elders in the church that he used to work for caused Will to take an hiatus from music and social media last year. He bounced back with a vengeance this summer, and is now back in the California live music circuit. Hope everything goes well from here on out Will! #BlueCrew for life!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: My Body (Top 10)

This is why I watch this show after 20 gruelling seasons, for crazy performances like this. ❤️

Z04lVaI.png

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

WILL CHAMPLIN, Season 5 (Team Adam)

willchamplin.png

I'm gonna be short and sweet with my writeup for Will: if he didn't audition for one of the most stacked seasons in Voice history and instantly capture me with his cool alternative rock sound, I wouldn't even be watching this show 7 years later. I wouldn't have started looking for a place on the Internet where I can gush about how awesome Will and the other Season 5 contestants are. I wouldn't have stumbled into a little website known as Idolforums. I wouldn't have found a community of obsessive but passionate fans of The Voice and other reality shows. I wouldn't have sat through various seasons of The Voice, and picked up a dozen or so new artists to listen to and support. I wouldn't have made friendships that goes beyond IDF, even if it's just online (Hi @sublymonal, @*Chris and @Elliott ❤️ ). So Will, I owe ya bigtime. Sorry if I didn't listen to your most recent music as often as before, I'm just not really a fan of EDM, but I still remember your Voice journey very fondly. Go #Champs!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Love Me Again (Top 10)

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Michael Sanchez

TheVoice21-2.jpg?resize=696,464&ssl=1

Ok I do remember this guy looking back. Michael appeared on Season 11 of The Voice, where he performed the Bill Withers song "Use Me", and became a member of Alicia Keys' team who turned in the final moments. Teaming up with Dave Moisan in the battles round, he was sent through with a performance of "Valerie". This was a nice performance I thought and he had seemed to have built up a bond with Dave; I probably would have leaned towards Dave personally here but he did go on to be stolen.

Michael's last performance in the competition came in the knockouts when his performance of "Just the Two of Us" sent him home over Sa'Rayah's performance of "Ain't Nobody". Unsurprisingly I was a Sa'Rayah fan on this season and was rooting for her at this point - I did enjoy Michael and what he brought but was pleased that Sa'Rayah could go through. He was lined up to be a part of the Vegas show The Voice: Neon Dreams which fell through (looking at the cast of that show this leaves Mary Sarah and Chloe Kohanski as the last-remaining 'neon dreamers' in this rankdown). But overall, I don't remember or root for Michael enough to mind him going at this point in the game.

• Sad 1

Josh Gallagher

Josh-Gallagher-MN2S-1.jpg

Also a contestant on Season 11, Josh Gallagher was one of many country artists to appear, starting his journey with a performance of Brothers Osborne's "Stay a Little Longer", turning the chairs of Alicia and Blake, and no surprise - picking to join Blake Shelton's team. At the knockouts, Josh was faced against eventual winner Sundance Head, which saw him stolen by Adam to go through to the live shows. I did remember actually liking his performance of "My Maria" and while he wasn't a main fave of mine, I was glad to see him get stolen in that duel.

With the country vote on his side, Josh unsurprisingly seemed to fly through the live shows. He won the instant save in the semi-finals and of course I was a little bitter that it couldn't have gone to Ali that night - also would have meant each coach had one person in the final. I suppose there was a split in some of the country votes in the final which meant that Josh went on to place in fourth. I enjoyed some of his performances, he just wasn't a big standout to me overall when I looked at the remaining names.

I didn’t really have a strong opinion on Josh during the season (and was also Team Ali in that instant save, oops), but he’s really grown on me in the years since. Super chill irl too.

• Like 5

• Solaris changed the title to The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)