The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

15 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I voted against her because I didn't remember who she was. I watched the Sober video and now I regret my decision. 

Yeah, I probably should've saved her over Aaron in hindsight, but I figured Aaron's time is up soon anyway and he gave my favourite performance of S11 so it was justified to me. :haha:

SUNDANCE HEAD

b18bff9b99f075bc43493afa7166c093.gif

For many of us, we were first introduced to Sundance Head during his appearance on American Idol - in fact, he was on the 6th season where he was able to make it all the way to the Top 16 after delivering 3 mediocre performances in a row. 

Fast forward 9 years later, we found ourselves reintroduced to Sundance Head as a struggling artist during the 11th season of The Voice. And a bit changed since his time on Idol, he was now promoting himself as a country soul singer à la Chris Stappleton - to no one's surprise, Blake turned around for him and Sundance eventually chose to be on Team Blake.  

And similar to his time on Idol, he skated by being mediocre - it was clear that he was one of TCO of Team Blake from the Battle round where his performance was nothing spectacular.  He was somehow able to win against Josh in the Knockout - I always thought that his version of The Climb was weak, and easily one of my least favourite versions to ever be performed on Idol & The Voice; I see that he was trying to win points with Miley.  

It is now time for the lives, where he knew how to play the game by pandering to the public by singing country songs or songs originally sung by female artists so he can be praised for putting his twist on the show. Honestly, most of his live performances were meh in my opinion - let’s look at the songs he performed during the lives :

• Blue Ain’t Your Color : Absolutely love this song and love Keith’s version so obviously, he wasn’t going to be able to deliver it like Keith does. 
  • My Church: Terrible. Leave this song to Maren, kthxbye. And if I remember correctly, he was probably praised for his ~original take~ on the song. 
  • No One: First, he panders to Miley and now he panders to Alicia. Again, I did not love this performance - nobody has ever been able to match Felicia Barton's version of it.
  • Me and Jesus : I legit do not remember this performance but it went high on the ITunes charts. Okay. 
  • Love Can Build a Bridge: Keisha Renee did it better. Plus Billy slayed that week and that’s all I remember from the Top 10 week. 
  • Darlin Don’t Go : Not that great. 
  • Treat Her Right : I rather forget this performance ever happened.
  • At Last : He took the life out of this song - hated every minute of it. 

The real question is how did he win by having mediocre performances? That’s because we have low standards when it comes to The Voice & country artists especially if they are on Team Blake.   And it’s my pleasure to ensure that he does not go any further than this in the rankdown - wow, look at me doing more than the bare minimum with this write-up.

Edited by *Chris

1 minute ago, QueenKalie said:

I think Sundance also benefited from one of the weaker casts that the Voice has had. 11 and 20 are the the 2 seasons that I couldn't even make it to the live playoffs before bowing out. 

I actually enjoyed a lot of people from that season :haha:.

Just now, QueenKalie said:

I tried and it was the first season I was like ugh why are all these people on my tv lol.

I guess we are the opposite :haha:  

• Like 1

Team Alicia Battle Writeups Part 1

alicia keys wink GIF by The Voice

John Holiday - S19, 5th place

image.jpeg.138fa8649d3df7f75d2725eb62d4e346.jpeg

John Holiday was 35 when he auditioned for the show. He is from Texas. He started his run singing Misty by Johnny Mathis and he has a very polarizing tone. He got everyone to turn except Blake. Kelly got blocked by John. John picked John and moved on to the battles where he sang Summer Soft by Stevie Wonder against Julia Cooper. He won his battle and moved on to the Knockouts. In the Knockouts, he sang All By Myself by Celine Dion. This was his worst performance imo because he sounded screechy. He moved on to the playoffs where he sang Fly Me To the Moon by Frank Sinatra and he did well because he got public vote on Team John and moved on to the semifinals.  In the semifinals, he got Fix You by Coldplay and Pompeii by Bastille as his duet performance. He got Public vote again and Moved on to the finale for Team John. He did Halo by Beyonce, Where Do We Go by himself and Bridge over troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel which was his duet with John Legend. He managed to get 5th place for Team John in the finale.  His after show releases are nothing on Apple Music. 

Favorite Performance: 

Carter Rubin - S19, Winner

image.jpeg.7d721f4f559dc68cb631c6c4d9386b7c.jpeg

He was 14 and from New York when he auditioned. He auditioned with Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi and got Gwen and John to turn. Gwen paired him And Larriah Jackson to sing Like I'm Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor and John Legend. She moved him on to the Knockouts where he sang Lauren Daigle's You Say. He won his knockout and moved on to the playoffs where he sang Hero by Mariah Carey. He got the public vote for Team Gwen where some people thought Ben Allen was going to get it. He made it to semifinals and sang Rainbow Connection by The Muppets and Will It Go Round in Circles for his duet performance. He was representing Team Gwen in the finale. His finale set list was The Climb by Miley Cyrus, Up From Here  by Himself and You Make It Feel Like Christmas which was his duet performance with Gwen Stefani. He won the season and was the youngest male to win. He also got Gwen Stefani her first win. He was going to sing Praying by Kesha if he got in the instant save. His after show releases are nothing on Apple Music.

Favorite Performance: 

Christian Cuevas - S11 Top 8 

image.jpeg.108c828b29e943e2a017e1280ffcbe00.jpeg

Christian Cuevas was on the 11th season and was 20 and from Florida. He auditioned with "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" by Michael Bolton. He got three coaches to turn except Miley. He picked Alicia as a coach where she paired him against Jason Warrior to sing Hello by Adele. Alicia decided he was good enough to make the Knockouts. He went to the knockouts and sang Superstar by Delaney and Bonnie and won. He made it to the playoffs and sang Yesterday by The Beatles. He was able to get a public vote from America to let him in the top 12. Some of his live show performances were The Scientist by Coldplay, Rosanna by Toto, Million Reasons by Lady Gaga. He then managed to make the Semifinals. In the Semifinals, he did To Worship You I Live (Away) by Israel Houghton and His duet with Billy Gilman was Unsteady by X Ambassadors. On Semi result night, he got put in the middle three to sing in the instant save where he did I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt and was eliminated. He released two singles and was featured on a Spanish Single. 

Favorite Performance: 

Savanna Woods - S20 4 way Knockout

image.jpeg.ba548254c86ae7d7fe92802974283bdf.jpeg

She was 26 and from Washington where she auditioned for the voice. She sang Zombie by the Cranberries and was able to turn Kelly and Nick. She went down the smart path and picked Team Kelly. She moved on to the battles where she sang Dreams by Fleetwood Mac against Corey Ward. She lost this battle but she was able to be saved and went in the four way knockout. In the Four- Way Knockout, She sang Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. She deserved to win but she lost but she got to record her playoff song which is Barracuda by Heart. She hasn't released anything since the show ended. 

Favorite Performance: 

Dani Moz - S6 Top 12

image.jpeg.bf05669362d409bba81ffa3eaed88332.jpeg

Dani was 26 and from California when she auditioned for the show. She was montaged in the auditions and sang I Need Your Love by Ellie Goulding and Calvin Harris. She got only Shakira to turn around. Shakira paired her and DeShawn Washington singing My Kind of Love by Emeli Sande where she won and moved on to the battles Part 2. She got paired against Clarissa Serna who was a fan favorite but they sang F*cking Perfect by P!nk and she won and people were outraged that she won. Then she gave a break out performance in the playoffs singing The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga which Shakira picked her as one of her top 3 since the playoffs weren't live that year. In top 12, she sang Just Give Me A Reason by Nate Reuss and P!nk and she got sent to the instant save. In the Instant Save, She sang Dark Side by Kelly Clarkson where she was eliminated. She released a EP and appears on a song with people I don't know so she has done something after the show. 

Favorite Performance: 

Julia Cooper - S19 4 way Knockout

image.jpeg.70c02f996af2e1f927a5413eb3adb598.jpeg

She was 21 and from Ohio when she auditioned for the show. She sang Alaska by Maggie Rogers and got everyone but Blake to turn. She picked John Legend as her coach. He paired her with John Holiday where they sang Summer Soft by Stevie Wonder. She lost her battle and John Saved her and sent her to the 4 way knockout. She sang Wish U Were Gay by Billie Eilish. She should've won the four way that season but she lost to a country artist. She got to record her playoff song which would've been Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez. After the show, she released a studio of her audition and an original song. 

Favorite Performance: 

• Like 1

Just now, QueenKalie said:

Is the 4 still a thing or did that show flop?

flop.

But I did appreciate a handful of artists:  Ali (obvs), Sharayah, Candice and both winners were great.  

You know who wasn't?  Whitney.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solaris said:

flop.

But I did appreciate a handful of artists:  Ali (obvs), Sharayah, Candice and both winners were great.  

You know who wasn't?  Whitney.  

I think I watched 1 episode and thought it was weird and that was it for me.

SAWYER FREDERICKS

zmEdbB.gif

As we all know, Sawyer Fredericks was the teen sensation who won the 8th season of The Voice despite not being that interesting - I just found the majority of his performances to be boring or nothing spectacular; I guess nothing spectacular is the perfect description of his journey on The Voice.

I also never understood its popularity, especially around this board during his time on The Voice - I never found him to be that exciting as mentioned earlier, and his performances were just okay. And unfortunately for him,  he was on the same season as some of the best female contestants including some of my top favourites - he was never going to be able to win me over with the likes of India, Kimberly, Koryn and Meghan.

I also believe that Sawyer Fredericks benefited from being the closest thing to a country male singer - it’s clear that the soccer moms that watch the show get attached to young male singers when there’s no country singer available. 

In other words, I am indifferent when it comes to Sawyer Fredericks and I am indifferent seeing him getting eliminated early on from this rankdown.

Raelynn

I don't remember a whole lot about Raelynn's run on the voice I know she was on a season 2 and I remember not being a huge fan of hers. Raelynn has gone on to have some success post show and I have listened to her songs a couple of times and while the song Love Triangle is actually a good song itself, I am just not that interested in her voice or anything like. I figured she would make for good fodder though so I picked her for my team and as I expected she didn't last very long in the competition lol. 

THE THOMPSON SISTERS

THE-VOICE-S1-QuarterFinals-Tori-Taylor-Thompson.jpg

Majority of the The Voice fans will know Tori & Taylor Thompson aka The Thompson Sisters for their time on the first season of The Voice. But for myself and others, we are more familiar for their appearance on a show known as American Junior where they were 7 and 9 if I remember correctly - this is the same show that introduced us to Lucy Hale, Kristinia DeBarge (her hit single “Goodbye” was a bop) and Katelyn Tarver.

Back when they auditioned for The Voice in their late teens & early twenties, I was super excited for them as I remembered them from their time on American Juniors but their journey didn’t last as long as they were hoping for.  In fact, they couldn’t get Blake to turn for them on Sugarland’s Stuck Like Glue and landed on Cee Lo’s team - they won their battle against a girl named Kelsey to Unwritten; just rewatched it and it was kinda awkward to watch especially considering how the battles are done nowadays.   And they were eliminated during the second week when they were assigned “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” - hey were definitely thrown under the bus by giving them this song; the performance itself was not terrible but definitely did not do them any favor :dead:

You can be the judge if the song did them justice :

SHELBY BROWN

Shelby-Brown-The-Voice.jpg

When I chose her to be part of Team *Chris-tina, I totally thought she was Shelbie Z who auditioned for both American Idol and The Voice - clearly it was the wrong Shelby but I guess they were both blonde and country singer :haha:. Anyway, Shelby Brown competed on the 9th season of The Voice where she auditioned with Grace Potter’s Stars - I do remember her now as I thought she did a great job with the song, but not my favourite rendition of the song; She was the recipient of 4 chairs and decided to go with Adam’s team which was a huge shocker. 

After being part of Team Adam, I remember thinking that she was struggling with her song choices - it was either ambitious, predictable, or questionable; I would argue that they were mainly questionable. At the end of the day, nothing really set her apart from other teen country stars from past seasons.

That being said, I will give her props where props is due as I thought she did a good job with “Go Rest High On That Mountain” which was easily her best performance since her audition :

• Solaris changed the title to The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)