'90s TV Shows Rankdown (Winner Announced on Page 132)

Steven_

17. SEINFELD

seinfeld-1280.jpg

R.b416e85347e72d33615a50ed19650876?rik=y38ykiCZua4dog&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

DEREK: 3

DIANA: 9

GIGI: 15

PUBLIC: 16

JC: 18

WALLACE: 19

DEREK

Seinfeld is objectively one of the best TV shows ever made and it would make a deserving winner not only out of this Top 20 but out of the entire list of shows in our whole rankdown. But there are some haters still left playing this game so it probably won't even come close. Even if you can't appreciate how groundbreaking this show was, you can at least appreciate Julia. One of the funniest characters ever! Anyway, we'll ignore Chris for hating Friends but we will stan him for putting this into the Top 20 and avoiding all the final cuts. Reminder that NBC Thursdays are UNDEFEATED. There was a time in the 90s when NBC had Friends, Seinfeld, and ER all on the same night. I cannot stress enough how unworthy we were to have been blessed like that. Off topic, but later NBC had Community, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and The Office all on the same night. Wow.

DIANA

Seinfield is a show that I expected to easily be in our top 20. When I mention to anyone the 90’s I think Seinfeld is a show they will all know. It’s just something everyone I know watched at the time. I was a little kid so I didn’t watch It as it aired but my parents did and I have watched it since then and enjoyed it. I think rather you like the show or not, you cant deny it’s longevity and it’s legendary cast. It is about 4 friends in New York City. I am sure you all know about it, turn on the tv it’s always airing re plays. It is a part of my top 10 because of it’s longevity.

GIGI

I like Julia Louis-Dreyfus and I have seen a few episodes.  Seinfeld ran for nine seasons, 180 episodes.  Seinfeld has been described as "a show about nothing."

JC

I am bussing this and it would probably be #20, but my husband is obsessed with it so I could not put it last. And at least it is set in NYC ❤️

WALLACE

I was struggling between my #19 and #18 and feel those shows are a toss up for me. I gave Seinfeld the lower ranking......just because I did. Lol, well there's an NBC white comedy battle between Seinfeld vs. Friends, and I am #TeamFriends all day, so that affected the ranking a bit. :haha: Seinfeld is a show I probably would have targeted in the game if my other targets had gone earlier, but then that never happened so I never targeted it. I do like Seinfeld and find it funny. Jerry is the star but is funny and enjoyable. George is quite dramatic but funny. Elaine is hilarious and her dancing at that party will always remain iconic. :wub: Kramer is insane and crazy. Seinfeld wouldn't be in my personal Top 20, but congrats to the fans getting it here.

• Steven_ changed the title to '90s TV Shows Rankdown (#17 Posted)
7 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Wow at 4 shows being posted already. Lmao Steven is totally over this game and us, and just wants to get done with it. :dead:

a3b70960-c1f3-4c4a-b768-90eb9c040316_tex

Also, I figure I'd post the results quickly after I decided to be very strict with the deadline. 

• Haha 2

Some of the shows would have benefited from my ranking. :closedeyes: I understand moving on, but why ask for my ranking then? :dead:

I am truly sorry I was able to get my write-ups in time, but I would just like to point you’ve gone on before without write-ups in the Disney Rankdown so I was planning to do them all on Friday.

It’s your game and you decision, obviously. And I respect your choice, but I just didn’t expect to be dealing with my moms health at this moment.

• Like 1

16. THE GOLDEN GIRLS

golden-girls.jpg

golden-girls-betty-white.gif

GIGI: 1

PUBLIC: 7

DIANA: 10

DEREK: 20

JC: 20

WALLACE: 20

GIGI

Let me start off by saying that I love The Golden Girls and I have seen every episode several times.  I still watch them despite that fact.  It is one of my favorite shows.  The show takes place in Miami at Blanche Devereaux's (a flirty lady played by Rue McClanahan) house.  She found three other ladies to rent her house to: Dorothy Zbornak, the smart substitute teacher (Bea Arthur), Sophia Petrillo, her sassy Italian mother with all the good comebacks (Estelle Getty), and Rose Nylund (played by the wonderful Betty White), the somewhat ditzy one from St. Olaf, which she refers to often on the show as the other girls sigh before Rose's storytelling begins. George Clooney guest starred on an episode when he was younger.  The show has won Emmy Awards and Golden Globe Awards.  It placed in the top 10 of the Nielsen ratings, was on TV Guide's list of "Best Series of All Time", and the Writers Guild of America placed them on their list of "Best Written TV Series of All Time."

DIANA

ICONIC Golden Girls! I was so confused on why it has been nominated so many times because it’s something that I felt deserved endgame easily. But it fought for its spot here fairly hard because it was nominated a ton of times especially in the battle rounds if I am remembering correctly.  I feel like The Golden Girls is legendary myself it stars four women who live together in Miami and experience the joys and angst of their golden years. The show is based on Strong-willed Dorothy, spacey Rose, lusty Southern belle Blanche and matriarch Sophia. It has Queen Betty White in it so that alone makes rank it high lol.

DEREK

Okay, everyone has their own way to judge what makes a 90s show. And any way is valid. Personally, I think the first years that a show premieres is very important. It was when the show was first conceptualized, when it was first written, when the show was cast, and likely when the show became popular. We had some disagreements with the year 1999, and that's fine. I see the argument. I heard your concerns and I took care of the 1999 problem for you all. You're welcome.

Golden Girls is a great show. Hilarious. Aged well. Critically acclaimed. However, Golden Girls ran from 1985 to 1992. This is an 80s show to me. Point blank. Maybe that is a controversial statement. I know I have some favorites in the finals that premiered in the 80s and some favorites that went past the 90s. But 1985 to 1992??? The first 5 years of this show were in the 80s. 114 out of 180 episodes. That is beyond where I've drawn the line. Just me, personally. 

I don't know exactly what shows have a shot at winning, and maybe this is going to win regardless of my ranking, or maybe it wouldn't have even come close regardless. But I have a feeling that this will do very well. As fitting as it would be, after this whole messy rankdown, for an 80s show to win the game... I have to do anything I can to prevent that from happening. And this ranking is all I can do.

JC

Overrated, don't get the hype. I've had exes who are obsessed with it, and it was grounds for dismissal :kissbye:

WALLACE

I would like to apologize to Victoria for this ranking as I know she's gonna be mad at me for a few minutes or hours for this (hopefully not days). :dead: The Golden Girls is..... The only show of this Top 20 I never seen an episode of in my entire life, so it's a legit #20 (no tanking) ranking for me. I did leave this show alone and never nominated out of respect and for Victoria though. :yes: I only know a few things about The Golden Girls. I know the theme song, which is really cute. I know that THE ICON that is Betty White stars in it. I know there's a character named Rue in it, who I think is sassy? That's about it.

• Steven_ changed the title to '90s TV Shows Rankdown (#16 Posted)
2 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Some of the shows would have benefited from my ranking. :closedeyes: I understand moving on, but why ask for my ranking then? :dead:

I am truly sorry I was able to get my write-ups in time, but I would just like to point you’ve gone on before without write-ups in the Disney Rankdown so I was planning to do them all on Friday.

It’s your game and you decision, obviously. And I respect your choice, but I just didn’t expect to be dealing with my moms health at this moment.

I thought I would have everything today, but it looked like I wouldn't have everything from everybody until Monday night. I decided to just enforce the deadline after already extending it once. :( 

Hopefully your mom is doing well.

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

And was the 100 write-up rule not enforced? :dead: I would have definitely turned in something then had I known. :haha:

100 words were required for everyone's individual Top 10. There was no word requirement for people's Bottom 10.

3 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

100 words were required for everyone's individual Top 10. There was no word requirement for people's Bottom 10.

I forgot about that. :haha:

I have mixed feelings. I’m sad that my ranking didn’t contribute to the final rank, but I understand moving on.