VintageVoice and The Season 20 Smackdown Ranking (Speed Run Complete)

VintageVoice

13 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

First batch of clues is here!

• Don't be a fish out of water.
  • Three seasons, three chairs.
  • Begin at the beginning.
  • Having a coach that stuck with you can sometimes work out.
  • A little birdie told me...

- JD Casper (battle song)

- Connor Christian (what has been said)

- Christine Cain (First audition taped and I can't see her getting past the first set)

- Devan Blake Jones (battle song)

- Andrew Marshall (PO song and me not wanting it to be Halley)

10 hours ago, David68 said:

JD

Connor

don't know

Devan

Andrew

5 hours ago, FloorWax said:

- JD Casper (battle song)

- Connor Christian (what has been said)

- Christine Cain (First audition taped and I can't see her getting past the first set)

- Devan Blake Jones (battle song)

- Andrew Marshall (PO song and me not wanting it to be Halley)

Stranger Things Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

🌟🌟ROUND 1: And So It Begins...🌟🌟

40. Christine Cain (Team Legend)

2021-TheVoice-S20-CHRISTINE-CAIN-450X450

Explanation  Kicking off this series of rankings is the artist who originated the "Welcome to Team Legend" song. Christine was the fourth contestant we met in the premiere of the blinds, and she turned two chairs with her rendition of Harry Styles' "Watermelon Sugar." Though I'm not a huge fan of her take on the song, I'll admit I was probably a bit too harsh on it initially - it's a creative twist and she made it work for her, and the risk of flipping a popular pop song and making it more of soulful R&B tune paid off. Though either Kelly or John would have been a good fit for a coach, I wasn't surprised that Christine went to Team Legend since he's a tad more similar of a musical lane. In the battles, Christine was paired with Pia Renee on a Brandy song, and Brandy was their battle round advisor - no pressure there, right? Unfortunately, the two artists did two different vocal stylings on the song, which resulted in it feeling messy in spots (a shame, since both Pia and Christine have solid voices in their own rights). After John chose to advance Pia, Christine was eliminated from the show as by the time their battle filmed there were no steals left and John had already used his save. Best of luck to Christine with her post-show career.

Hint: Begin at the beginning. (Christine was the first audition filmed of the first taping and the first Team Legend contestant aired this season.)

Genre: R&B

Favorite Performance: Watermelon Sugar (blind audition)

39. JD Casper (Team Kelly)

2021-TheVoice-S20-JD-CASPER-450X450-KO.j

Explanation  JD Casper's a male Americana artist, which normally is right up my alley - I just don't think that this was the sort of show where he would have been able to properly showcase his talents. He did tackle one of my favorite songs in the blinds, and while I liked it more than most of IDF I'll admit that the higher parts were not his best. Kelly, however, had been waiting for him to go higher, so she turned - and by that point in the taping process, as the only coach with spots left, JD ended up defaulting to Team Kelly. The suitcase drum was interesting, and it was brought out again for JD's battle against Kenzie Wheeler. Vocally, JD was better here, but he got overshadowed by Kenzie, who was in his element on a classic country song. I'm curious how JD would've handled the knockouts or not performing with the suitcase drum, but as he was eliminated after the battle rounds I don't have a good answer for that question. Wishing JD success now that the show's done.

Hint:  Don't be a fish out of water. (This is both a nod to the definitely-not-about-actual-fishing battle song and JD's time in the Navy.)

Genre: Singer-Songwriter/Country

Favorite Performance: Fishin' In The Dark (battle)

38. Devan Blake Jones (Team Nick)

2021-TheVoice-S20-DEVAN-BLAKE-JONES-450X

Explanation Coming in at number thirty-eight is the first contestant I feel genuinely kinda bad about putting this low. Devan's blind was an acoustic version of H.E.R.'s "Hard Place" and showed off an easy-to-listen-to tone, decent runs, and an impressive falsetto right at the end (honestly, I was just as shocked as Carson when he hit those last few notes). Nick ended up being the only coach to turn, but considering Devan's intro package he mentioned being excited about the chance to work with Nick I think there's a pretty good chance he would've gone with Nick regardless of having options. Cut to the battle rounds and Devan immediately getting sacrificed to Dana Monique, which understandably made him nervous - Nick noted during the battle rehearsal Devan needed to work on his confidence. During the actual battle, Devan stepped it up confidence-wise and had a few relatively minor pitch issues (side note, that jacket might be one of a few pieces of clothing from the season I would 100% rock if I owned it). Though Nick ultimately chose to advance Dana over Devan, he also chose to use his save to advance Devan to the 4-way Knockout. In the 4-way Knockout, Devan picked a helluva song with Harry Styles' "Sign of the Times" as it's taken out several other artists over the years. It started off just fine, but kind of went off the rails towards the end; that said, he had great stage presence which definitely helped sell the performance. Despite IDF not expecting him to win the 4-way KO, Devan got the last laugh there and ended up becoming the fifth Team Nick representative in the playoffs. Having to tackle a 90s boy band song as a solo artist is a big ask, especially when the band is as iconic as the Backstreet Boys, but Devan had several solid moments throughout; unfortunately, there were also several shaky moments. Though Devan did not advance beyond the top 17, he certainly had a very good run all things considered. The main reason he's as low as he is is because of two back-to-back performances that were shaky, but with the difficulty of those two songs I'll admit that navigating them and making it through in one piece is impressive. Hoping for the best for him career-wise.

Hint:  Having a coach that stuck with you can sometimes work out. (Devan's battle song was "Stuck With U" and he was a one chair turn on Team Nick that turned into both Nick's battle save and the 4-way Knockout winner.)

Genre: R&B/Pop

Favorite Performance: Stuck With U (battle)

37. Denisha Dalton (Team Legend)

2021-TheVoice-S20-DENISHA-DALTON-450X450

Explanation  The second-highest spot in this set goes to someone I wish we'd gotten to see more of this season. Denisha's take on the song she close for her blind audition was really cool, but some parts of it felt just a tad over-stylized for me, especially towards the end. She ended up getting turns from everyone but Nick, and though I would've liked to see how Kelly or Blake may have handled her Denisha chose to complete Team Legend. Sadly, this was the last of Denisha we got to see in full, as her battle round against Ciana Pelekai was montaged and she was left without a steal or save. I wanted to put her a few spots higher, but I didn't feel it was fair to have her out of the first tier without more than 90 seconds of vocals to base my judgement off of. Sending good vibes to whatever Denisha decides to do next with her musical career. 

Hint: Three seasons, three chairs. ( Denisha was the first contestant since season 17 to get a Kelly-John-Blake three-chair turn.)

Genre: Pop/R&B

Favorite Performance: Pillowtalk (blind audition)

36. Halley Greg (Team Kelly)

2021-TheVoice-S20-HALLEY-GREG-450X450-KO

Explanation Rounding out the last spot in the first set is the most controversial member of this set. IDF please don't cancel me but if y'all want to then I understand I tried to get into Halley - I really, really did. I really loved her tone in her mid-tones and though I wasn't initially super crazy about the arrangement she used for her blind audition, it grew on me after a few re-listens. However, there's one thing that relegated her to the bottom five instead of bumping her up a tier: her whistle register. I just could not for the life of me get into it (and not for lack of trying either). Halley defaulted to Team Kelly and was subsequently placed against Gihanna Zoë in the battle rounds. What followed was the single most "what the f***" song choice of the battle rounds, with "Thinking Out Loud" - it was a song that didn't suit either Halley or Gihanna. The ladies did the best they could with the song choice, but their harmonies didn't mesh all that well, in my opinion. After the decision made in favor of advancing Gihanna, Halley was eliminated. Keeping an eye out for more news on Halley's musical pursuits post-show and wishing her well.

Hint:  A little birdie told me... ( Halley's blind song was "I'm Like a Bird" I literally couldn't come up with another clue after spending hours on this one, oops.)

Genre: Indie/Alternative

Favorite Performance: I'm Like A Bird (blind audition)

(One quick note before all y'all drag me in this thread: I had the absolute worst time putting together this part of the ranking. To be honest, all of them could have and likely would have been higher in almost any other season, but given how nuts season 20 was talent wise, picking people for the first five in my ranking was actually way harder for me than putting together my top ten. This isn't a knock on this group vocally - it's just my opinion.)

• Like 7

• VintageVoice changed the title to VintageVoice and The Season 20 Smackdown Ranking (#36-40 POSTED)
15 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Explanation  Kicking off this series of rankings is the artist who originated the "Welcome to Team Legend" song. Christine was the fourth contestant we met in the premiere of the blinds, and she turned two chairs with her rendition of Harry Styles' "Watermelon Sugar." Though I'm not a huge fan of her take on the song, I'll admit I was probably a bit too harsh on it initially - it's a creative twist and she made it work for her, and the risk of flipping a popular pop song and making it more of soulful R&B tune paid off. Though either Kelly or John would have been a good fit for a coach, I wasn't surprised that Christine went to Team Legend since he's a tad more similar of a musical lane. In the battles, Christine was paired with Pia Renee on a Brandy song, and Brandy was their battle round advisor - no pressure there, right? Unfortunately, the two artists did two different vocal stylings on the song, which resulted in it feeling messy in spots (a shame, since both Pia and Christine have solid voices in their own rights). After John chose to advance Pia, Christine was eliminated from the show as by the time their battle filmed there were no steals left and John had already used his save. Best of luck to Christine with her post-show career.

Hint: Begin at the beginning. (Christine was the first audition filmed of the first taping and the first Team Legend contestant aired this season.)

Explanation  JD Casper's a male Americana artist, which normally is right up my alley - I just don't think that this was the sort of show where he would have been able to properly showcase his talents. He did tackle one of my favorite songs in the blinds, and while I liked it more than most of IDF I'll admit that the higher parts were not his best. Kelly, however, had been waiting for him to go higher, so she turned - and by that point in the taping process, as the only coach with spots left, JD ended up defaulting to Team Kelly. The suitcase drum was interesting, and it was brought out again for JD's battle against Kenzie Wheeler. Vocally, JD was better here, but he got overshadowed by Kenzie, who was in his element on a classic country song. I'm curious how JD would've handled the knockouts or not performing with the suitcase drum, but as he was eliminated after the battle rounds I don't have a good answer for that question. Wishing JD success now that the show's done.

Hint:  Don't be a fish out of water. (This is both a nod to the definitely-not-about-actual-fishing battle song and JD's time in the Navy.)

Explanation Coming in at number thirty-eight is the first contestant I feel genuinely kinda bad about putting this low. Devan's blind was an acoustic version of H.E.R.'s "Hard Place" and showed off an easy-to-listen-to tone, decent runs, and an impressive falsetto right at the end (honestly, I was just as shocked as Carson when he hit those last few notes). Nick ended up being the only coach to turn, but considering Devan's intro package he mentioned being excited about the chance to work with Nick I think there's a pretty good chance he would've gone with Nick regardless of having options. Cut to the battle rounds and Devan immediately getting sacrificed to Dana Monique, which understandably made him nervous - Nick noted during the battle rehearsal Devan needed to work on his confidence. During the actual battle, Devan stepped it up confidence-wise and had a few relatively minor pitch issues (side note, that jacket might be one of a few pieces of clothing from the season I would 100% rock if I owned it). Though Nick ultimately chose to advance Dana over Devan, he also chose to use his save to advance Devan to the 4-way Knockout. In the 4-way Knockout, Devan picked a helluva song with Harry Styles' "Sign of the Times" as it's taken out several other artists over the years. It started off just fine, but kind of went off the rails towards the end; that said, he had great stage presence which definitely helped sell the performance. Despite IDF not expecting him to win the 4-way KO, Devan got the last laugh there and ended up becoming the fifth Team Nick representative in the playoffs. Having to tackle a 90s boy band song as a solo artist is a big ask, especially when the band is as iconic as the Backstreet Boys, but Devan had several solid moments throughout; unfortunately, there were also several shaky moments. Though Devan did not advance beyond the top 17, he certainly had a very good run all things considered. The main reason he's as low as he is is because of two back-to-back performances that were shaky, but with the difficulty of those two songs I'll admit that navigating them and making it through in one piece is impressive. Hoping for the best for him career-wise.

Hint:  Having a coach that stuck with you can sometimes work out. (Devan's battle song was "Stuck With U" and he was a one chair turn on Team Nick that turned into both Nick's battle save and the 4-way Knockout winner.)

Explanation  The second-highest spot in this set goes to someone I wish we'd gotten to see more of this season. Denisha's take on the song she close for her blind audition was really cool, but some parts of it felt just a tad over-stylized for me, especially towards the end. She ended up getting turns from everyone but Nick, and though I would've liked to see how Kelly or Blake may have handled her Denisha chose to complete Team Legend. Sadly, this was the last of Denisha we got to see in full, as her battle round against Ciana Pelekai was montaged and she was left without a steal or save. I wanted to put her a few spots higher, but I didn't feel it was fair to have her out of the first tier without more than 90 seconds of vocals to base my judgement off of. Sending good vibes to whatever Denisha decides to do next with her musical career. 

Hint: Three seasons, three chairs. ( Denisha was the first contestant since season 17 to get a Kelly-John-Blake three-chair turn.)

Explanation Rounding out the last spot in the first set is the most controversial member of this set. IDF please don't cancel me but if y'all want to then I understand I tried to get into Halley - I really, really did. I really loved her tone in her mid-tones and though I wasn't initially super crazy about the arrangement she used for her blind audition, it grew on me after a few re-listens. However, there's one thing that relegated her to the bottom five instead of bumping her up a tier: her whistle register. I just could not for the life of me get into it (and not for lack of trying either). Halley defaulted to Team Kelly and was subsequently placed against Gihanna Zoë in the battle rounds. What followed was the single most "what the f***" song choice of the battle rounds, with "Thinking Out Loud" - it was a song that didn't suit either Halley or Gihanna. The ladies did the best they could with the song choice, but their harmonies didn't mesh all that well, in my opinion. After the decision made in favor of advancing Gihanna, Halley was eliminated. Keeping an eye out for more news on Halley's musical pursuits post-show and wishing her well.

Hint:  A little birdie told me... ( Halley's blind song was "I'm Like a Bird" I literally couldn't come up with another clue after spending hours on this one, oops.)

(One quick note before all y'all drag me in this thread: I had the absolute worst time putting together this part of the ranking. To be honest, all of them could have and likely would have been higher in almost any other season, but given how nuts season 20 was talent wise, picking people for the first five in my ranking was actually way harder for me than putting together my top ten. This isn't a knock on this group vocally - it's just my opinion.)

Not you ranking Halley so low. 😭 Otherwise, I agree. 

40 and 39 were the right people (the only 2 clear fodders IMO). I agree with the order because I thought Christine gave the weakest performance both rounds, and JD was close both times.
38. I wouldn’t have him above 30, which is crazy especially with how far he went. He wasn’t bad in the battle but Nick could have saved one of the others instead. He surprisingly won the 4WKO over Carolina and Savanna and delivered one of the worst POs of the season.

37. Good placement for her, considering she’s the only contestant we only saw once and it wasn’t that memorable of an audition (despite being good for its episode). I’m glad she’s here and not Connor (twice).

36. I liked her audition, but it wasn’t one of my favorites, but her battle wasn’t great, which is why this placement makes sense. Her placement for me is limited by her short run.

Pretty good first set. Everyone here would be in my first two sets.

1 minute ago, Angeles said:

Not you ranking Halley so low. 😭 Otherwise, I agree. 

She was originally going to be in the next set up, but after checking my ranking list I realized there were a couple people I knew I wanted fairly high up that almost got left out completely, and that unfortunately happened to bump Halley down.

2 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

40 and 39 were the right people (the only 2 clear fodders IMO). I agree with the order because I thought Christine gave the weakest performance both rounds, and JD was close both times.
38. I wouldn’t have him above 30, which is crazy especially with how far he went. He wasn’t bad in the battle but Nick could have saved one of the others instead. He surprisingly won the 4WKO over Carolina and Savanna and delivered one of the worst POs of the season.

37. Good placement for her, considering she’s the only contestant we only saw once and it wasn’t that memorable of an audition (despite being good for its episode). I’m glad she’s here and not Connor (twice).

36. I liked her audition, but it wasn’t one of my favorites, but her battle wasn’t great, which is why this placement makes sense. Her placement for me is limited by her short run.

Pretty good first set. Everyone here would be in my first two sets.

The bottom ten was honestly way harder than making a top 10 this time, whereas for me Season 19 was the opposite. 

Just now, Misirlou said:

Ranking Aaron and Connor higher than Halley and Denisha, interesting. I´d fully agree with that had Connor´s KO not existed. But good to know that Aaron is not in the first set considering he´s barely talked about here.

Connor's KO will get covered in more depth once I actually rank him (and Aaron doesn't get enough credit for his performances, tbh).

5 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

The suitcase drum was interesting, and it was brought out again for JD's battle against Kenzie Wheeler. Vocally, JD was better here

LOL before I finished the sentence I thought this meant that JD was vocally better than Kenzie :whut:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

I usually don't do this but here are my thoughts:

- I'd place Halley and Denisha higher just by personal preference, but I get your reasoning for Denisha and understand that you didn't love Halley's whistle register.

- I seem like the only one on IDF who liked Christine's blind; it wasn't mind-blowing but it was a cool take on a pop song, imo, and it was easy to listen to. That being said, considering that so many people this season are excellent, I see why she's ranked low.

- Agreed on JD. I liked his blind song, but vocally, many other contestants outpace him

- Agreed on Devan. I honestly just didn't love his tone.

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

I usually don't do this but here are my thoughts:

- I'd place Halley and Denisha higher just by personal preference, but I get your reasoning for Denisha and understand that you didn't love Halley's whistle register.

- I seem like the only one on IDF who liked Christine's blind; it wasn't mind-blowing but it was a cool take on a pop song, imo, and it was easy to listen to. That being said, considering that so many people this season are excellent, I see why she's ranked low.

- Agreed on JD. I liked his blind song, but vocally, many other contestants outpace him

- Agreed on Devan. I honestly just didn't love his tone.

Thanks for your thoughts, glad to have them on here 🙂

• Like 1

I loved both Halley and Denisha's auditions so I would probably have them a bit higher. I also might've placed Devan higher by a couple spots and have Connor take his place. Agree with the other two.

Edited by FloorWax

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I loved both Halley and Denisha's auditioned so I would probably have them a bit higher. I also might've placed Devan higher by a couple spots and have Connor take his place. Agree with the other two.

I had a feeling Halley and Denisha would be the two most controversial members of the group.

Interesting how your/Bk/and my bottom 5 for the rankings differ LOL but Bk and I might've more similarities than yours

ngl, I was so worried Andrew would appear at your bottom 5 LMAO but I'm pretty shocked at how Halley was placed this low, but I do get why ;) anddd as usual nice write ups. I've enjoyed reading them ❤️ 

Edited by sydneysam

1 minute ago, sydneysam said:

Interesting how your/Bk/and my bottom 5 for the rankings differ LOL but Bk and I might've more similarities than yours

ngl, I was so worried Andrew would appear at your bottom 5 LMAO but I'm pretty shocked at how Halley was placed this low ;), but I do get why anddd as usual nice write ups. I've enjoyed reading them ❤️ 

I'll be honest, I totally forgot about the "three little birds" line in Put Your Records On so people thinking Andrew was this low was an accident 😂 but it ended up being a good way to try and throw all y'all off the scent.

I agree with your first set more than BK’s even though 3 of your 5 (including Bottom 2 but switched) are the same. I would have your Bottom 2 order, and Denisha would be here due to only one aired performance, but I would agree more with BK’s placement of Halley (it’s right where I would put her).

I love how we get both rankings so we can have multiple perspectives (in case I disagree with a placement on either of them). I wonder who I will agree with more with the next set

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I love how we get both rankings so we can have multiple perspectives (in case I disagree with a placement on either of them). I wonder who I will agree with more with the next set

Yeah, same. It’s nice to see everyone’s different thoughts on the contestants.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I agree with your first set more than BK’s even though 3 of your 5 (including Bottom 2 but switched) are the same. I would have your Bottom 2 order, and Denisha would be here due to only one aired performance, but I would agree more with BK’s placement of Halley (it’s right where I would put her).

21 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Yeah, same. It’s nice to see everyone’s different thoughts on the contestants.

It’s nice because even though a good chunk of IDF has similar tastes, they’re not necessarily the exact same, and most of us are willing to discuss our feelings and politely disagree whenever we differ.

I have two more clues I need to create, so I should be able to get the next set out by the end of the day (we’ll see).

• Like 1

• istersay changed the title to VintageVoice and The Season 20 Smackdown Ranking (#36-40 Posted)

As one rankdown winds down, another one blossoms! LOL

Anyway, interesting critique on Halley's whistle register. It's definitely not the best one out there, it sounds pinched at times during her performances. To me she's someone that excels more at the studio than on a live stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teraginn said:

As one rankdown winds down, another one blossoms! LOL

Anyway, interesting critique on Halley's whistle register. It's definitely not the best one out there, it sounds pinched at times during her performances. To me she's someone that excels more at the studio than on a live stage.

It just so happens my work gets less hectic right as Bk's ranking thread winds down, so I've got time to go ahead and rank people (and agreed on Halley's whistle register, which is why I think she's one of those artists whose voice just didn't translate to the show as well as others).

Edited by VintageVoice

Round 2 Clues below - remember, order doesn't guarantee rank.

• Too little, too late.
  • A study in contrasts.
  • Sang a song by a band named similarly to a former runner-up.
  • If you ain't first, you're last - or a dead man walking.
  • Shares a first and last initial with a current or former member of the coaching panel.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• VintageVoice changed the title to VintageVoice and The Season 20 Smackdown Ranking (Round 2 Clues Posted)
11 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

• Too little, too late.
  • A study in contrasts.
  • Shares a first and last initial with a current or former member of the coaching panel.

The fourth clue is probably Connor. He was in the last knockout aired and his song, Youngblood had the lyrics "A dead man walking the night" Not to mention how Cam had murdered him on set

Edited by ThrowawayCrayon

50 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

• Too little, too late.
  • A study in contrasts.

- Ainae (Blake pressing his button late for her)

- Awari (sang Weak despite being muscular)

- Aaron Konzelman (Ricky Duran/Duran Duran)

- Connor Christian (ref. to Youngblood lyrics)

- Bradley Sinclair (Blake Shelton)