SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

US5 RESULTS PART FOUR

(tie) 9.-8. Kayla Radomski & Brandon Bryant - "All I Want" - (Contemporary by Stacey Tookie)

794dye.gif

Watch here

RANKINGS:

@Erestor - 2

@.Rei - 3

@FrogLenzen - 4

@*Chris - 5

@*Diana - 5

@taylorkat - 7

@kritaaay - 11

@*Wallace - 13

@Alex95 - 15

@totes4totes - 15

@*Amanda - 18

@Zoey - 18

Avg. Score = 9.67

COMMENTS

Rei

Just a fabulous piece of choreography, masterful executed by two of the best dancers this show has ever seen... Flawless!!!!! Iconic!!!! 

Derek

Kayla's développé at the beginning is heart-stopping. ughhhhh this routine is when she became my all-time favorite (up to that point).

Kriti

I also really enjoyed this routine! Kayla is a great actress and imo she evolved a lot during the competition, and this was a really good example of that.

Wallace

Hmmm I feel like this is one of those dances I kinda forget how good it was until rewatching it? It really shouldn't be like that because Kayla and Brandon are both amazing technical dancers so no doubt that they would nail a Contemporary routine like this. It's also kinda insane thinking this was Brandon's first and only Contemporary routine of the season (while Kayla had 4 of them :dead: ). However, Kayla and Brandon danced and performed this routine beautifully. The way Kayla uses her legs at the start was so stunning. But I love how Brandon shows off what an amazing technical dancer he is in this. I thought they danced this amazingly. I think I probably would have liked seeing a bit more chemistry from them in the dance. I felt/got it at most of the dance but some parts, not as much? Still, this is really gorgeous and I love it!

Alex

Every choreographer that took Brandon’s shirt off is seeing heaven.

Megan

This is weirdly a routine that I really like but don't ever really remember for some reason. I think because of that it's only natural that I rank it lower. I don't know why I don't remember it, but it's honestly never made much of a lasting impression on me. It's a routine that basically I was waiting all season for (i.e. Brandon dancing contemporary FINALLY) but I honestly think at this point in the season the fatigue of Kayla dancing ANOTHER lyrical routine (seriously, Kayla literally went Samba, Jazz, Viennese Waltz, Contemporary, Contemporary, Broadway, Viennese Waltz, Broadway, Hip-Hop, Contemporary, Disco, Broadway, Contemporary, Jive and that's not her fault! It's the producers fault! And Kayla danced every routine impeccably) and honestly not appreciating Stacey Tookey at the time (unlike now where I rightfully acknowledge Stacey is a QUEEN). Anyway, beautifully danced, great choreography. And on rewatch I like it more than the routines I've ranked lower. But I think looking back on this season as a whole it would make my Top 30 but not my Top 20.

7. Melissa Sandvig & Ade Obayomi - "This Woman's Work" - (Contemporary by Tyce Diorio)

794e6v.gif

Watch here

RANKINGS:

Zoey - 2

Chris - 3

Derek - 5

Rei - 8

Diana - 8

Wallace - 9

Alex - 10

Kriti - 12

Megan - 12

Gigi - 12

Amanda - 13

Patryk - 17

Avg. Score = 9.25

COMMENTS

Derek

The routine that killed Janette. I adore this couple and I know we hate dances with an obvious sob story but when you have an actual adult like Melissa dancing it can really really work. Also I really just love Ade. And the choreography is actually really smart and could be studied. Really remarkable routine

Rei

It's a very simple routine but they were able to convey the meaning and feeling flawlessly without making it too melodramatic. Tyce, Melissa and Ade handled this very well and the end result was just stunning

Wallace

I wasn't really much of a fan of Melissa & Ade's partnership but I can not deny what an exceptional and moving dance this was. This dance tackled the difficult battle of cancer... and wow Melissa & Ade danced and performed this beautifully. The way they (but especially Melissa) played their characters was so moving. 😢 Ade was kinda viewed as the forklift in their dances as he was always lifting Melissa but he had his moments to shine here. I just love the song choice and how they connected with this dance. Definitely Melissa & Ade's best moment on the show!

Alex

I think this is one of those dances where the story is more of an impact than the dance, but it’s still a beautiful dance.

Kriti

often think Melissa and Ade don’t get their due for the energy they brought to the season, and this routine (as well as their ROBBED pas de deux) exemplified that energy beautifully.

Megan

These last few routines I've had a hard time ranking. Because intellectually I know they are good. And I really appreciate this piece. But I've never connected with it in the way that the show set it up to be connected with. I think taken as itself and not as a "VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF DANCE" this is a beautiful routine. I really think Melissa and Ade's maturity as a couple make this work in a way that it would have not with a lot of other dancers.

6. Jeanine Mason - "Por Una Cabeza" - (Jazz)

794efr.gif

Watch here

RANKINGS:

Zoey - 1

Alex - 2

Kriti - 3

Amanda - 3

Derek - 8

Megan - 8

Chris - 8

Wallace - 10

Rei - 12

Diana - 15

Patryk - 19

Gigi - 19

Avg. Score = 9.00

COMMENTS

Zoey

The single best solo in SYTYCD history. The risk really paid off and sealed the win for Jeanine.

Alex

If Jeanine somehow didn’t win after this I would’ve burned the show to the ground.

Kriti

I want this to win, but it’s not even my favourite Jeanine solo.

Derek

the definition of iconic. Changed the course of history

Megan

This isn't Jeanine's second best solo (I think that would probably be "Moonlight Sonata") but even Jeanine's 3rd or 4th best solo is still light years above maybe every other female contemporary solo on this show. (I am exaggerating but only slightly?). Jeanine won the show on the absolute showstopping qualities of her solo and it's appropriate that this solo is also here. Jeanine came to the show and understood the assignment and came in with 6+ perfectly choreographed solo. It's such a smart move because a fine or bad solo honestly doesn't really stand out. But a good solo sticks with you and that's how Jeanine really set herself apart from the competition. There are other solos on the show that have been good, but I don't know that there's any other dancer that is so defined by their solos as Jeanine.

Wallace

Okay, now this was a pretty iconic solo from Jeanine. This was definitely the solo of the season and probably the solo that helped her win the show. I love how she not only danced an amazing Jazz solo but how she brought a Tango fusion style to it, where she danced the whole solo with a rose in her mouth and also did some ballroom hold moves in there. Not only that but her technique was insane and SO good! :omg: This is definitely a solo deserving of being here and Jeanine absolutely crushed this! :wub: Ugh I always struggle with where to rank solos amongst routines but this is amongst one of the best solos ever, so I think I'm fine with ranking this around the middle of this list.

Rei

One of the most daring performances ever and she just pulled it of.. An iconic moment!

5. Jeanine Mason & Kayla Radomski - "The Four Sections: IV (Full Orchestra)" - (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

794elr.gif

Watch here

RANKINGS:

Derek - 1

Chris - 4

Alex - 5

Kriti - 5

Rei - 7

Diana - 7

Patryk - 7

Megan - 9

Zoey - 12

Gigi - 14

Amanda - 15

Wallace - 20

Avg. Score = 8.83

COMMENTS

Derek

Easily one of the GOAT routines for me. In the intro, at first I thought Mia said "the counting in this is very complex because it's intense" but what she's saying is that "it's in 10s." as in, 5-6-7-8-9-10. Instead of 5-6-7-8 like most other dances. I cannot emphasize enough how difficult and insane this would be to the average dancer. I can't think of any other routines that are in 10. or even 5 or 7. This is insane. And Kayla and Jeanine are just stunning in this. It's so outrageously good and unique and conceptual that it barely even belongs on a show like this.

Alex

Why engage in a Jeanine and Kayla stan war when you can correctly stan them both?

Kriti

Took Jeanine till the finale to get genuinely excellent choreography and she still won. Love this for her.

Rei

I think I should have ranked this higher but S5 is so stacked with amazing routines that this was an impossible task. Not too much to say except that the choreography slapped and the girls slayed!

Megan

I want more female/female routines at the end to be like this. And I think things have evolved more that way but this is just a good interesting piece of dance. I wish there were more colorful skirts. And I wish there was more dancing together.

Wallace

Oh dear.... here we go! 🙈 There are a few certain routines I don't really care as much about as certain people. Most of them didn't make it and got cut so yay for that, but this one made it through. :ph34rwave: Now I think Jeanine & Kayla are incredible dancers... and they dance this routine really well and did all of what Mia asked of them. No denying that. But I just never cared for this dance and found it boring. :ph34rwave: I guess I just didn't care for the song choice or the actual routine, or actually both. It's objectively really good but just not a routine I ever connected with or does anything for me.

• .Rei changed the title to SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (US5) (#9-8-#5 Posted)

8. Okay, I love "All I Want" but with Kayla having 4 Contemporary routines in the Top 8, one of them HAD to show up. :dead: I'm cool with it being this one as this was one of my lower ranked dances. Gorgeous and stunning dancing & performing from both Kayla & Brandon here. OMGGG wow, Megan and I see eye to eye on this routine and everything in her comments on them, lol. Glad I'm not the only one that has that ~not remembering this routine that well~ feeling. I do wish I could have put this a spot lower to help the Cha-Cha get 8th on its own. :haha:

7. Oooh lol I thought "This Woman's Work" would have been someone's #20 but kinda surprised it wasn't. :haha:  But ok this was my #9 and not in my Top 4 so I'm fine with this showing up now. This is gorgeous and the comments really convey this routine perfectly well.

6. Even though I didn't rank it this high, I'm really pleased to see Jeanine's "Por Una Cabeza" solo rank this high. This is truly an iconic and one of the best solos ever on the show. Happy to see mostly Top 10 ranks for this. omgg Alex's comment. :dead: Everyone is pretty much saying it all about this solo. And Megan really said it all perfectly in her comments here.

5. Oooh phew, glad that "The Four Sections: IV (Full Orchestra)" showed up here and didn't ruin my flawless Top 4 in the game. I was realllly scared that that wasn't gonna happen, so I am pleased. :dead: I get people's love and appreciation for this dance and yeah not surprised it made it this far so well done there. :yes:

17 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

Ok, the Stan wars didn’t prevent us from an iconic Top 4 of Eyes on Fire, Gravity, Libertango and If It Kills Me. :wub:

15 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Your Top 4!!!!

S5-SYTYCD_14_Kupono-Kayla.jpgkuponoface.jpg?w=584sytycd_bestperformance5.jpgea29dd5f91946252516fd25612681743.jpg

Woww reallly such an iconic and Top 4 of perfection here! :wub:  I'll be very happy or pleased with any of these dances winning but specifically either of my Top 2!

12 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Wallace nailed the top 4!!!

I COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPY. 😭 :bye2: 

These were always my Top 4 favorite dances of Season 5 way back when the season aired and that hasn't changed since. :wub: 

2 minutes ago, kritaaay said:

nope, it's my highest ranked of the ones left

hate myself 4 objectively viewing mia's choreography as better than travis's

Ahh okay, I see. :haha: 

I think they were both really strong choreographed/danced routines.

Por Una Cabeza is the one missing from the top 4 that should be there! Iconic solo! Hoping one of my Top 3 wins!

I didn’t even have to play and deal with all the uninteresting routines lol

Edited by JC
  • Like 1

I don’t think there’s any routine in this top four that wasn’t tanked by at least one person so now I genuinely don’t know who’s going to win

jk it’s going to be a Kayla routine because zoey and I are the only people who were petty about her and it seems like half of you wanted to tank Jeanine’s routines

Edited by kritaaay