SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 4)

.Rei

AU2 RESULTS PART TWO

16. Pania Taku & Ben Veitch - "Walk On By" - (Rumba by Brendan Humphreys)

74zv4j.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

@kritaaay - 3

@Zoey - 4

@*Amanda - 5

@.Rei - 11

@*Diana - 12

@JC - 12

@*Wallace - 13

@totes4totes - 16

@taylorkat - 17

@FrogLenzen - 19

@Erestor - 19

Avg. Score = 11.91

COMMENTS

Rei

Pania absolutely demolished this routine with a extremely mature performance and lots of sex appeal and Ben actually managed to do his best routine of the season and kept up with Pania. I wish this would be a bit higher.

JC

I actually liked this routine because of Pania but I can't stand Ben.

Wallace

This was such a gorgeous Rumba and the dance I always felt was Pania & Ben's standout dance for their partnership. Even though neither of them are ballroom dancers, they really sold this dance. This was the first dance where Ben showed off what a convincing dancer he is with leading/partnering his female celeb and sells the ballroom guy lead role really well. Then Pania? A Hip-Hop dancer dancing a Rumba so elegantly and gorgeous like that was really impressive. The performance and chemistry they had together was truly moving and beautiful to watch

Megan

I am going to be honest, I find almost all rumbas to be incredibly boring on this show. This show and DWTS. I can appreciate how good Ben and Pania are here and I appreciate that this is an actual Rumba. But at the same time. I'd rather be watching pretty much any other genre of routine. I think for me personally to get excited about a rumba, two women would have to be performing it.

15. Talia Fowler & Ben Veitch  - "Whatever Lola Wants (Gotan Project Remix)" - (Argentine Tango by Fabio Robles)

74zvt9.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Diana - 1

Patrick - 7

Gigi - 8

Wallace - 9

Kriti - 10

Derek - 10

Megan - 15

Zoey - 15

Amanda - 15

Rei - 18

JC - 20

Avg. Score = 11.64

COMMENTS

Diana

"Iconic, legendary, THE moment"

Wallace

Talia & Ben had such a strong and underrated partnership with the 3 dances they did here and I'm glad that my two favorite dances of theirs moved on! I have praised Ben with his ballroom routines and it really should be telling that his 3 routines here are all ballroom based. I love the way Ben leads and partners Talia in this dance. And as for Talia, she is just so captivating and mesmerizing to watch here. Well both Talia & Ben are, actually. I love how they performed and brought such steamy hot chemistry with this dance. I loved all of their partnering work and all of the gaunchos and kicks & flicks they did with their footwork. I especially really loved Talia's footwork here. :omg:  I also love how smooth and seamless the lifts were too.

Megan

Technically this is the worst of the three ballroom routines Ben has on this list. But I'm biased and placed it above his rumba because I like Argentine Tangos more than I like Rumbas!

Rei

Sorry but no.. Talia did the best she could but even so there were some messy parts as well from her and Ben really really really drag this down. This has no place in the Top 20 imho

JC

IDK which of these Taliban routines is worse and I am not rewatching them so just randomly deciding the order. Yes their combined name is fitting because they are terrorizing me with their unnecessary existence in this top 20.

14. Top 20 - "Let Me Think About It" - (Jazz by Kelley Abbey)

74zwem.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Derek - 1

Rei - 2

JC - 7

Megan - 9

Zoey - 11

Gigi - 15

Kriti - 15

Patrick - 15

Diana - 16

Wallace - 17

Amanda - 19

Avg. Score = 11.55

COMMENTS

Derek

One of the best dance/club songs ever, one of the best choreographers ever. Everyone got a tiny solo moment and it was amazing all around.

Rei

I'm so glad that Derek is an even bigger fan of Kelley Abbey than me cause otherwise this might not have even made it to the Top 20 without him. I absolutely love Kelley Abbey and she has come up with some of the best group routines SYTYCD has ever seen. No other choreographers use the talents of their dancers as well as she does and her ideas are simple yet innovative that most of her stuff end up being masterpieces. This is first routine (duo or group) that always comes to mind when I think about AU2 and it's probably the reason why I think AU2 has the best cast from the Aussie version. Every 5 seconds there is a different great moment from this routine, hell even, the Chanelle pose at the end is incredible. Love this and shame on all the people that ranked this low.

JC

Not sure we needed two Kelley Abbey group routines in the finals, but they were decent.

Megan

Derek fights really hard for these group routines and I am glad he does because the group routine is really underrated (except for US2 which a group routine RIGHTFULLY won and I expect a certain US14 group routine will also make a high ranking). This is just a fun sexy routine.

Wallace

This was good, fun and kinda a hot group routine. But like with most group routines, I appreciate it while I watch it on the show and really enjoy it at that time. But It's not a routine I have a strong connection to or would rewatch. I get how others do, but not for me. Kat did stand out the most to me and grabbed my eye a lot here for some reason.

(tie )12-13. Penny Higgs & Charlie Bartley - "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" - (Hip-Hop by Tiana Joubert) 

74zxjj.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Zoey - 1

JC - 2

Wallace - 3

Gigi - 11

Kriti - 11

Amanda - 12

Patrick - 13

Rei - 16

Diana - 17

Derek - 17

Megan - 19

Avg. Score = 11.09

COMMENTS

Zoey

This was danced fantastically by both and gave me Kamcey vibes. They both cemented themselves as front runners and I still firmly believe that they would’ve been the top two if Penny had not withdrawn from the competition.

JC

FLAWLESS, FIEUS, FEROCIOUS. Beyonce almost pushed it to #1, but it was definitely a contender as I had to watch a few times to decide.

Wallace

This was such a fun and iconic opening routine from Penny & Charlie that started off their power couple run! :wub: I love the fun they had with their characterization here. Charlie was so weird and creepy and Penny was so fierce & sexy. Penny has such killer stage presence and definitely owned it in this dance. But Charlie was really great here too. I loved that creepy arm move he did while Penny was in the ground. That was insane. But this routine as so fun - I loved their dancing, the choreography and the energy they brought here was insane. :bobo:

Rei

They should have sold this as Pop, Jazz or Jazz-Funk instead of labelling as a Hip-Hop, I think it would be way less polarizing with us. I mean it wasn't bad, it was good for what it was but it also wasn't hip hop and them as a couple had way better routines and Charlie will eventually would dance a very good Hip-Hop that sadly missed this Top 20 and was way way better. 

Megan

Maybe it's because I've spent all day watching Twitch routines, but this is underwhelming. I actually quite liked it but once it slowed down for the tempo change, it never really picked back up with the same intensity. All that to say, if we were going to have a Top 20 hip-hop routine it should have been Lamb/Timomatic doing "Rainbow." And therefore I'm knocking off EXTRA points in the ranking for this routine because I am STILL mad.

16. Okay with Pania/Ben's Rumba ranking although I wouldn't have minded if this was a little higher as well. I was kinda surprised with Megan's ranking as I thought she loved this more but then reading her comments, it all makes sense.

15. Oh, Talia & Ben's Argentine Tango was so grossly robbed. Not reallly surprised but this deserved better. Kinda sad Ben is already out of the game now. :( 

14. Lol I shockingly agree with JC on the "Let Me Think About It" Jazz group routine.

13. Oh again, I agree with JC? I don't know what's going on or how I feel about this. But yay.... nice to see the Penny/Charlie Hip-Hop getting robbed like this too. 🙂 I'm glad JC & I pushed this into the finals... and whoa I was not expecting this to be Zoey's #1 but slayyy it. ❤️ Hmmm I can get Rei's comment on this should have been labeled a Pop-Jazz or something. And 🙂 at Megan's latter comments. I had nothing to do with robbing the "Rainbow" routine. :kissbye:

46 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

15. Oh, Talia & Ben's Argentine Tango was so grossly robbed. Not reallly surprised but this deserved better. Kinda sad Ben is already out of the game now. :( 

Ben is somebody I think who was always a good partner and a solid (and if you watch the group routines he tends to get featured because of this) but never necessarily a standout dancer. He and Amy are probably two of the most interesting dancers to make a finale because it's hard to point out many standout moments from each of them but they are just two very solid dancers without many weaknesses. (Yah you can point to Ben being stiff in his ballroom routines but if you compare him to like MANY MANY MANY other contemporary/hip-hop/jazz dancers on this show doing ballroom he's more than fine in his role).

7 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Ben is somebody I think who was always a good partner and a solid (and if you watch the group routines he tends to get featured because of this) but never necessarily a standout dancer. He and Amy are probably two of the most interesting dancers to make a finale because it's hard to point out many standout moments from each of them but they are just two very solid dancers without many weaknesses. (Yah you can point to Ben being stiff in his ballroom routines but if you compare him to like MANY MANY MANY other contemporary/hip-hop/jazz dancers on this show doing ballroom he's more than fine in his role).

I never really thought of it like this but this does make sense regarding Ben.... and even Amy too. I felt that way with the Amy routine that made it on here.

Singles Ladies robbed! Queen Zoey shocking me with that #1 but perhaps she is a Penny fan? I thought she hated Charlie but loving our Queen and King ranks! Everyone else is rude. Minus Wally I guess since he put it at top 3

Okay with everything else that has shown up so far

im predicting a gianne/blowjob win because I don’t think they have any haters and they’re not threatening between the pearlie and the talia fans

Edited by JC

1 hour ago, kritaaay said:

I always think group routines and solos can’t be judged on the same scale as duets! But I understand why it happens in a routine game. Lol.

I've definitely made it clear I think this way. :haha: Yeah I personally prefer ranking them all separately. Back when I did SYTYCD lists, I would always rank the duets by themselves, the solos by themselves and the group routines by themselves.  It's tough for me to group them together.

1 hour ago, JC said:

Singles Ladies robbed! Queen Zoey shocking me with that #1 but perhaps she is a Penny fan? I thought she hated Charlie but loving our Queen and King ranks! Everyone else is rude. Minus Wally I guess since he put it at top 3

Okay with everything else that has shown up so far

im predicting a gianne/blowjob win because I don’t think they have any haters and they’re not threatening between the pearlie and the talia fans

You better completely minus me from the rude equation because 3rd is still a really great spot. 😘 And we advanced that dance together. :claybleh:

Ooh I was thinking of which Gianne/BJ routines were remaining... and yeah I can see those two ranking really high. I was thinking "The Battery" could still win but it depends on the tanks it gets.... but that might probably miss out.

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

I've definitely made it clear I think this way. :haha: Yeah I personally prefer ranking them all separately. Back when I did SYTYCD lists, I would always rank the duets by themselves, the solos by themselves and the group routines by themselves.  It's tough for me to group them together.

Granted, I say this, then remembered US5 is up next, where we’ll have to contend with Calle Ocho and also Jeanine’s existence lololol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, *Wallace said:

You better completely minus me from the rude equation because 3rd is still a really great spot. 😘 And we advanced that dance together. :claybleh:

Ooh I was thinking of which Gianne/BJ routines were remaining... and yeah I can see those two ranking really high. I was thinking "The Battery" could still win but it depends on the tanks it gets.... but that might probably miss out.

You should’ve had it at top 2! 😛 

yes and also they’re adorb and so likable ❤️ 

For the battery, I didn’t really tank it but I think it’ll probably get some tanks from others. Putting so many unnecessary Talia routines to the top 20 I think def brought out how many people actually dislike her :giggle:which I didn’t mind seeing

Also Zoeys comments on single ladies are so spot on! If Penny had not withdrawn, I’m so sure that pearlie would have been top 2! Such a wasted opportunity :( 

Edited by JC

12 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

8 seasons in, with a group routine WINNING one, and people still complaining about solos and group routines :yawn:

The only good routines from AU4 are the group routines so let people know I’ll fight for them 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kritaaay said:

Granted, I say this, then remembered US5 is up next, where we’ll have to contend with Calle Ocho and also Jeanine’s existence lololol

LMAO Same. 🙈 I'll be a hypocrite as those are amongst my favorites of the season. :dead: