SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

UNITED STATES SEASON 3 RESULTS PART TWO

20. TOP 20 GROUP - "PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE MY EYES COULD SEE" (HIP-HOP BY WADE ROBSON)

WAQvY4o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxzDA2eyNE 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 11

Derek: 15

Alex: 30

Wally: 25

Diana: 20

Zoey: 16

Chris: 30

Amanda: 16

Megan: 15

JC: 15

Rei: 9

Andrew: 22

Elliott: 14

Dee: 20

FINAL SCORE = 18.43

COMMENTS

Gonna have to echo the statements made by practically everybody else. I miss the old stage. Bring back the old stage (I say this knowing very well SYTYCD may be dead for good). But this group routine is so unique. Wade truly never missed in a group routine. The last ten seconds are so epic.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, Alex95 said:

Though I may have seen the light for some group routines, this did not need to be here at all and y'all should've let me and Wally cut it.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:01 PM, totes4totes said:

Before like Christopher Scott and Tr*vis came and made all the group routines look essentially the same, there used to be so many cool group routines. Also. This makes me miss the old stage so much. The way the entire stage was used, even the judges's chairs. UGH. Bring this back for ME.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:12 AM, .Rei said:

This has always been of my favorite group routines. The used of the stage was brilliant.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, JC said:

a perfect wade group routine to round out my top 15

On 11/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, *Wallace said:

Really fun group routine. I loved a lot of the SYTYCD early hip hop routines and this is one of those. It's one of those dances I always enjoy watching. But it's not one of those dances I'm attached to or watch much so it ranks here at #25.

19. LAUREN GOTTLIEB & DANNY TIDWELL - "THEN YOU LOOK AT ME" (CONTEMPORARY BY MIA MICHAELS)

xOFMtOH.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbACmAfNuc 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 16

Derek: 22

Alex: 20

Wally: 4

Diana: 8

Zoey: 1

Chris: 15

Amanda: 26

Megan: 25

JC: 22

Rei: 11

Andrew: 30

Elliott: 28

Dee: 19

FINAL SCORE = 17.64

COMMENTS

As much as Misha Chan sucks, this routine is incredibly gorgeous. Danny and Lauren nail this choreography, which is deceptively difficult. AGAIN. Bring back the old stage. Again. The use of space. The playing with levels. Really makes the routine more captivating, entrancing, and interesting. I do agree with Alex though - 30 more seconds and this routine is likely a masterpiece.

I almost feel like this needed about 30 more seconds to be a masterpiece.

I’ve always loved this a lot. Danny was flawless and Lauren was great.

Again. I don't remember it.

team lacey

I remember being so excited seeing Lauren & Danny dancing together as I was wanting them to be paired up for awhile, and this Contemporary did not disappoint. :wub: So Mia had an alien concept in mind for this routine, which was certainly interesting... but hey, it's Mia. I don't question her ideas. :giggle: But yeah, I do love this routine so much. Danny & Lauren are both strong Contemporary dancers and this routine showed that. They move with such fast sharp movements while showcasing strong technique. This was such a fast paced routine with so much content thrown in but they excuted this well. I love the lines they showed and their partnering dancing. ❤️ They had such powerful chemistry. Wow that part where Lauren went running into Danny and straight up threw herself up at him. :omg: I loved their syncronized dancing they did at the stairsand smaller stage and Danny's last spin. Ooh and wow, all of that running at the end of the routine with the audience. That was interesting. But all in all, a fantastic dance and one of my favorites of the season. ❤️

18. ANYA GARNIS & DANNY TIDWELL - "YOU AND ME" (VIENNESE WALTZ BY HUNTER JOHNSON & CYNDI JOHNSON)

f8hnRlr.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhztVhhI98 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 12

Derek: 8

Alex: 14

Wally: 6

Diana: 22

Zoey: 11

Chris: 22

Amanda: 22

Megan: 11

JC: 26

Rei: 24

Andrew: 27

Elliott: 24

Dee: 18

FINAL SCORE = 17.64

COMMENTS

Watching this routine back. Pretty sure this is my favorite Danny/Anya routine. "Girlfriend" stands out the most due to the iconic way they entered the competition. But really thinking "You and Me" is their best work. Seriously stunning. Again. Danny provided the best Ballroom performances and Anya is a Ballroom force. Truly one of the greatest partnerships ever.

DANYA ARE PERFECTION. ALL THEIR ROUTINES SHOULD BE HERE. I STAND BY THIS.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, FrogLenzen said:

sooooooo gorgeous

It’s a very pretty routine. I hate Anya’s dress and it is distracting.

wasn't a fan of this coupling

This Viennese Waltz from Anya & Danny was absolutely beautiful. :wub: I may be in the unpopular opinion here, but this was my favorite Danya routine! I'm glad all of their ballroom and Latin routines made the Top 30 as they are all wonderful dances. But this dance has such a beautiful lyrical quality to it that Anya and Danny brought and danced so well. They had such fluidilty in their movements and great lines, spins, and well everything. They danced in hold, out of hold and partnered each other so well throughout the dance. I especially love that part where Danny assists Anya with spinning her around with just one leg! :omg: Such a special part. Ooh and their chemistry was so beautiful here. Just such a stunning dance, and probably my favorite Viennese Waltz on this show. ❤️

17. SARA VON GILLERN & JESÚS SOLORIO - "CABARET HOOVER" (POP-JAZZ BY WADE ROBSON)

8xOGUw8.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0y27XhLGVo 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 18

Derek: 19

Alex: 28

Wally: 18

Diana: 25

Zoey: 28

Chris: 10

Amanda: 5

Megan: 5

JC: 23

Rei: 15

Andrew: 24

Elliott: 21

Dee: 6

FINAL SCORE = 17.50

COMMENTS

Like Megan. "Cabaret Hoover" is pivotal to my becoming a fan of the show and a fan of dance. Period. S3 is when I started live-watching. "Dancing" is what is responsible for making me a fan. But that entire first week of S3 is so stellar. Largely in part due to "Cabaret Hoover." One of my favorite routines of all-time. Fantastic choreography. Wade is at his peak here. Sara and Jesús nail the characters. The sync issues just inject this routine with further character. Incredible piece of music. Everything comes together here to create magic.

Sara taking 3 of my Top 5 spots? THAT SEEMS ACCURATE. This is the routine that got me hooked on the show. It's the first routine that I ever saw on TV and I haven't stopped watching since. I've watched a BILLION seasons of this show because of this routine. I absolutely love and adore this.

Cool concept, but there were many sync issues.

This is really good.

this was cool

This was such a unique and intriguing routine from Wade. Loved it and one of my favorites from Wade. I thought Sara & Jesús did a great job channeling the chracter of this dance, and they danced it wonderfully. They were very quirky and out there, it was so fun to watch. Loved their synchronized dancing here too (even though they were off on a few minor parts but eh, doesn't bother me). They hit their moves so hard with great musicality to it. I did like how Wade got to add in Sara's b-girl skills and & Jesús' Contemporary skills in there too.

16. DANNY TIDWELL - "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" (CONTEMPORARY/BALLET SOLO)

CAIxOBg.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezWvXkzqX8 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 26

Derek: 14

Alex: 10

Wally: 22

Diana: 18

Zoey: 20

Chris: 9

Amanda: 15

Megan: 10

JC: 7

Rei: 10

Andrew: 29

Elliott: 27

Dee: 9

FINAL SCORE = 16.14

COMMENTS

Still cannot process losing Danny so early in life. "We Are The Champions" is a true testament to the god-like talent he possessed. But this is easily one of the greatest solos of all time. RIP.

Why did he pick Gavin DeGraw over Queen???? But RIP king! He can do it all!

This may be the best male contemporary/ballet solo of all time. I specify that because I'd actually rate Hok's "Ease on Down the Road" solo higher than this and a couple of tWitch's. And maybe Legacy. But in terms of contemporary/ballet it does not get better than this. It sucks SO MUCH that we lost Danny so soon. He's such a beautiful talent.

RIP King!

still one of the top 5 solos of all time!

On 11/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, *Chris said:

One of the best solo ever.  Ranking it high because it deserves a high ranking.

This was an amazing and iconic solo from Danny. It's definitely my favorite solo of the season..... and truthfully probably would have been the only solo I would have in my personal Top 30. :ph34rwave: The way he did all of those leaps and spins. And then all of those pirouettes. And just everything else. It was all iconic! :omg: He gave a true solo of a champion. It's definitely hard watching this particular solo now that he's passed but we will always remember what a brilliant dancer he was.

15. LACEY SCHWIMMER & PASHA KOVALEV - "IN THE MORNING" (HIP-HOP BY DAVE SCOTT)

FIW4PMh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqSqtvztThE 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 2

Derek: 20

Alex: 24

Wally: 27

Diana: 15

Zoey: 21

Chris: 24

Amanda: 9

Megan: 9

JC: 20

Rei: 22

Andrew: 5

Elliott: 19

Dee: 7

FINAL SCORE = 16.00

COMMENTS

Lacey really is that girl. LOL. One of my favorite routines of all-time. Pasha really nails the character. Lacey hits the choreography so hard in the second-half of this routine. She is absolutely incredible here. A shame we could not see her dance Hip-Hop every single week.

I'm sorry but how the hell do you get Lacey in your routine and not let her do anything for half the damn number? Luckily Pasha is a star and can carry the routine on his own, but I can't rank it any higher on that reason alone.

I wish Lacey could have gotten the chance to do a proper hiphop on then show, cause the little she did here was a total slayage. Pasha wasn’t particularly good so this high ranking is only for Lacey.

Incredibly good choreography that hides so many of Pasha's weaknesses and makes Lacey look INCREDIBLE. I originally had this outside of my Top 10 but replaced "Dancing" with this and have NO REGRETS.

lacey was phenomenal, meh pasha

Hmm I've always had mixed feelings on this dance. Pasha is probably one of the better male ballroom dancers to dance Hip-Hop but I was not entirely sold on his hip-hop dancing here. I preferred him in "Fuego" with Lauren, but also felt both ladies outdanced him in his Hip-Hop dances. But he gave it his all in his character and was really fun/funny here. Then..... I had some mixed feelings on Lacey here. I thought she played the mannequian role well here but don't like how under utilized she is with the dance content here. She doesn't do much and just plays the mannquian for the first half of the dance. But then I absolutely love what she does halfway through the routine, as she is straight up killing the hard hitting choreography so well. She's fantastic in those 20 seconds of dancing there.  I just wished she danced more throughout the routine because I would have loved it.

14. LACEY SCHWIMMER & NEIL HASKELL - "TIME" (CONTEMPORARY BY MIA MICHAELS)

uYHYknh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQoalFBkWXQ

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 4

Derek: 24

Alex: 19

Wally: 20

Diana: 6

Zoey: 27

Chris: 2

Amanda: 27

Megan: 30

JC: 1

Rei: 25

Andrew: 4

Elliott: 4

Dee: 30

FINAL SCORE = 15.93

COMMENTS

Ahhhh. The DDD. No thanks. It does not move me. 

I know this is supposed to be such a Moment and obviously the storyline is really moving, but as a dance I've always found it to be just Fine.

my two faves dancing mia, screaming!

Pretty routine but a bit overrated

I was hoping that this wouldn't make it through to the Top 30. As such, I now am ranking it 30. The other 29 routines have an argument for Top 30. This one does not.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, *Chris said:

A routine that had a huge impact on me, and still hold a special place in my heart.

It's so . But I do think this is a really beautiful and moving routine, and I do really love it. Lacey and Neil dances and performs this so beautifully, with Lacey portraying Mia and Neil portraying Mia's dad. This dance has such a beautiful angelic quality to it - with how they dance and perform this. They really sold this dance so well, and parts of it does give me chills. :omg: It's not a dance I watch often but I do really appreciate it. ❤️ Ooh and I really loved the song choice for this dance too.... and kinda random/funny how but I didn't even know who Billy Porter was back then though I do now. But yeah, such a lovely dance.

13. SARA VON GILLERN & NEIL HASKELL - "KNOCK ON WOOD" (DISCO BY DORIANA SÁNCHEZ)

ZxMklDp.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzeWS4ek7dg 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 23

Derek: 11

Alex: 23

Wally: 16

Diana: 30

Zoey: 22

Chris: 18

Amanda: 11

Megan: 4

JC: 16

Rei: 20

Andrew: 3

Elliott: 3

Dee: 15

FINAL SCORE = 15.36

COMMENTS

I, too, believe in SARA SUPREMACY. One of the best Discos. This is pure fun. Both Sara and Neil bring all of the cheesy energy.

never figured out Sara's dress in this

I believe in SARA SUPREMACY. Also, Neil is cheesy AF so this really works for him and overcomes so many of the things I disliked about him (being mediocre, being paired with Misha Chan, being cheesy) and being paired with Sara for a disco really brought out the best in him. Since my last two favorite discos had N*ck L*zzarini this is now my favorite disco on this show!!!!!!!!!

It is a fun routine and the type of discos that I enjoy.

slay, loved this

Sara & Neil's Disco is such a fun energetic and entertaining routine, and a dance I've always loved from them. I'm always impressed and wow'd by those flips Neil does at the very start of the roujtine.... so insane. :omg: But yeah I thought Sara & Neil danced this really well and brought a lot of the fun Disco fever to the dance. :bobo:  I liked all of their partnering and the tricks they did. Such a feel good routine.

12. LACEY SCHWIMMER & PASHA KOVALEV - "A DAISY IN DECEMBER" (SMOOTH WALTZ BY HUNTER JOHNSON)

ZHOpbP1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ63byrReS0 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 5

Derek: 16

Alex: 6

Wally: 29

Diana: 19

Zoey: 14

Chris: 21

Amanda: 14

Megan: 17

JC: 19

Rei: 5

Andrew: 16

Elliott: 18

Dee: 13

FINAL SCORE = 15.14

COMMENTS

Definitely the best Waltz of all-time. A testament to the talents of Lacey and Pasha that a Smooth Waltz is somehow one of the most entertaining and well-danced routines ever. 

I'm very upset with myself that I have to rank the other Lacey & Pasha dance low so hopefully this makes up for it.

Pasha and Lacey FINALLY get paired together and they get not a Latin routine they get A FRIGGIN' SMOOTH WALTZ. We legit could have had the best ballroom routine EVER and this was technically amazing. But imagine them doing like ANYTHING ELSE BUT THE MOST BORING DANCE IN EXISTENCE. Sorry I do not APPRECIATE THE SMOOTH WALTZ. Maybe if I were like 65 years old. But there are just so many lost possibilities.

lacey was phenomenal, meh pasha

Ugh why are there so many good routines this season that I wish I could rank higher. This is the best waltz of all-time Period.

This was the dance I would have preferred to cut over Sara & Danny's Argentine Tango but we had some disagreements, and I wasn't passionate enough to fight for the AT. This is pretty, and well danced but it just didn't do much for me and bored me. Maybe because it was an instrumental track? But their partnering dancing was beautiful, so I can get why those would enjoy this.

11. ANYA GARNIS & DANNY TIDWELL - "GIRLFRIEND" (JIVE BY TONY MEREDITH & MELANIE LAPATIN)

SLRO5JL.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaEGuMLbfs 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 14

Derek: 21

Alex: 17

Wally: 19

Diana: 14

Zoey: 2

Chris: 14

Amanda: 6

Megan: 6

JC: 25

Rei: 19

Andrew: 26

Elliott: 12

Dee: 17

FINAL SCORE = 15.14

COMMENTS

The birth of a legendary partnership. Anya is obviously pure perfection. Danny is not perfect in terms of posture, but his performance quality is rivaling Anya. A ton of fun choreo and two world-class performances.

This "Girlfriend" Jive was a whole lot of fun and super entertaining from Anya & Danny! This dance started Danny's incredible run/performing of ballroom dances where I felt he was the best non-ballroom male dancer to dance ballroom/Latin dances. Anya slays this and is so fierce here. Her technique, precision is fantastic and she performs this so well. But Danny rose to the challenge and to her level, and held his own here.  I love how in sync, bouncy and light on their feet they were. They were kicking & flicking about and looked like they were having a blast here! :bobo: It's especially impressive how bouncy Danny was on his feet with those kicks & flicks! :omg: Loved all of their partnering work here. Then I love that part where Danny does that split under Anya, does some other move and then gets up partnering Anya with all of that fast legwork! I feel like this is one of those routines I really liked when it aired but it still grows on me where I love it more and more over the years. ❤️

I know this is universally loved but it’s never been one of my top favorites. Something in Danny posture has always looked weird to me. I still like a lot and wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t make the top 10.

Can't believe the three week 1 routines are all gonna make my Top 10. That's really a testament to the strength of this season and really the outstanding talent of Season 3. Anya of course is absolute perfection. Danny is just so talented. He may not be perfect but he's still pretty great and most importantly he matches Anya's energy and performance. That's impressive for literally anybody.

wasn't a fan of this coupling

Hot Tamale Train invented here

TOP TEN

sytycd_top20.jpg

Lacey Schwimmer & Kameron Bink - "Dancing" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

Jaimie Goodwin & Hok Konishi - "The Chairman's Waltz" (Jazz by Wade Robson)

Sara Von Gillern & Pasha Kovalev - "The Rockafeller Skank" (West Coast Swing by Benji Schwimmer & Heidi Groskreutz)

Lauren Gottlieb & Neil Haskell - "Let the Drummer Kick" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels & Ben Susak)

Lacey Schwimmer & Danny Tidwell - "Hip Hip Chin Chin" (Samba by Dmitry Chaplin)

Top 10 - "The Moment I Said It" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

Sabra Johnson & Neil Haskell - "Sweet Dreams" (Jazz by Mandy Moore)

Lacey Schwimmer & Danny Tidwell - "Keep Holding On" (Viennese Waltz by Jean-Marc Généreux & Frances Mousseau)

Lacey Schwimmer & Sabra Johnson - "Koyal" (Jazz by Wade Robson)

Danny Tidwell & Neil Haskell - "Are You the One?" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

Edited by Deeee
  • Like 1

Gigi:

Derek:

Alex:

Wally:

Diana:

Zoey:

Chris:

Amanda:

Megan:

JC:

Rei:

Andrew:

Elliott:

Dee:

8 hours ago, Deeee said:

29. ANYA GARNIS & DANNY TIDWELL - "IT HAD TO BE YOU" (FOXTROT BY JEAN-MARC GÉNÉREUX & FRANCES MOUSSEAU)

well IDF does not really appreciate good technical ballroom cause is the best Danya ballroom by a mile

9 hours ago, *Diana said:

The quickstep deserved better

Super robbed

8 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Seriously Black Mambo and Sexy Love both make top 5 but suddenly we hate rapists now, make it make sense

As long as they like the dance it's okay

Make sense people 

1 hour ago, Deeee said:

Sara Von Gillern & Pasha Kovalev - "The Rockafeller Skank" (West Coast Swing by Benji Schwimmer & Heidi Groskreutz)

Lauren Gottlieb & Neil Haskell - "Let the Drummer Kick" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels & Ben Susak)

Top 10 - "The Moment I Said It" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

Sabra Johnson & Neil Haskell - "Sweet Dreams" (Jazz by Mandy Moore)

Lacey Schwimmer & Danny Tidwell - "Keep Holding On" (Viennese Waltz by Jean-Marc Généreux & Frances Mousseau)

Lacey Schwimmer & Sabra Johnson - "Koyal" (Jazz by Wade Robson)

Danny Tidwell & Neil Haskell - "Are You the One?" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels)

my money is on Sweet Dreams

I can see all the other routines being tanked 

3 hours ago, Deeee said:

These made the Top 10????

gross dumb and dumber GIF

Thoughts on the #20 to #11 rankings:

- The PYHWMECS was a fun routine, so well done on it making the Top 20 at #20. omggg Alex's comments here. I'm crying, but he speaks the truth. :dead: But yeah fun dance and I agree with those on missing the old stage. :broken: 
- Awww super bummed that Lauren & Danny's Contemporary only came in 19th, as I was hoping for it to rank higher. But I had a feeling it would show up around here. :( Love this dance and glad to see some love from others. ❤️
- I had a feeling I would be the highest ranker for "You & Me." Again bummed that this has shown up already too, but sigh. This is gorgeous and do really love this. ❤️ Omg Megan's comment on how all their dances should be here....... even that Hip-Hop? :ph34rwave: Very happy to see Dee consider this his favorite dance of theirs, like me.
- Good spot for Sara & Jesus' Jazz. Great dance!
- Very pleased Danny's WATC solo is the highest ranked solo here. Always thought of this as the best solo of the season. Everyone's comments beautifully says it all. :broken:
- Well done to Lacey & Pasha Hip-Hop making it to #15. I don't agree but always knew this was quite a popular dance here. Alex does say it all with his comments on what was the issue with this dance for me.
- CRYING @ all of the polarizing rankings for Lacey & Neil's "Time" routine. :dead: Loving and was so totally expecting that with this dance. :haha: Omg there's a #1 and @ and then two #30 rankings... Iconic! Wow looks like Alex & I are the only to have them around the middleish of our rankings? :haha:
- The Sara/Neil Disco is a lot of fun, and #13 is a great spot for this dance.
- Well done to Lacey & Pasha's Waltz making it to #12. Again don't agree on the ranking but knew this was loved by many on hear. OMG dyingg at Megan's comments because I completely agree there.
- Don't necessarily agree with Danya's Jive beating out their VW but had a feeling that would happen. This is a really great fun and energetic dance though. Still love this despite my low ranking. Lol did Rei put a curse on this dance from making the Top 10? Cause it literally showed up at #11. :dead:

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

These made the Top 10????

gross dumb and dumber GIF

Not you hating "Dancing" and "The Chairman's Waltz." :dead: 

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Business as usual, I see.

You know it. :dead: 

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

This top 10 is fantastic 

Agreed. This is a really strong Top 10. :yes: 

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

@*Wallace That routine is also when I learned of Billy Porter haha. I'm always like... "Billy Porter? That's the guy who sang the song from SYTYCD"

LOL I'm glad you can relate. It's funny because I just finally made this connection when re-watching this dance here. :haha: