Forgotten performances/contestants that deserve more attention

Mistake006

I remember there being backlash, not only here but on YT and I think Mjsbigblog about her winning the KO over Shalyah. Even the coaches kinda downplayed Emily´s performance in favor of Shalyah. But you just don´t cover Joni Mitchell like she did and not advance. She was fantastic, from the phrasing, the playfulness in her delivery (like Joni´s), and hell, even the small details, like her actually playing her guitar in Open E like the original. Like, she came prepared. 

Overall, I think Emily in general was underrated. And the audience voted her off the second they had the chance. Same goes to Owen.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I remember there being backlash, not only here but on YT and I think Mjsbigblog about her winning the KO over Shalyah. Even the coaches kinda downplayed Emily´s performance in favor of Shalyah. But you just don´t cover Joni Mitchell like she did and don´t advance. She was fantastic, from the phrasing, the playfulness in her delivery (like Joni´s), and hell, even the small details, like her actually playing her guitar in Open E like the original. Like, she came prepared. 

Overall, I think Emily in general was underrated. And the audience voted her off the second they had the chance. Same goes to Owen.

It was a very unfortunate pairing. Shalyah’s KO is an all-timer, and if you add the fact that Emily wasn’t for everyone…

If anything deserved backlash was her elimination after Lilac Wine. I get that she was polarizing, but come on :whut:

26 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I remember there being backlash, not only here but on YT and I think Mjsbigblog about her winning the KO over Shalyah. Even the coaches kinda downplayed Emily´s performance in favor of Shalyah. But you just don´t cover Joni Mitchell like she did and not advance. She was fantastic, from the phrasing, the playfulness in her delivery (like Joni´s), and hell, even the small details, like her actually playing her guitar in Open E like the original. Like, she came prepared. 

That was the problem with the performance, that it was overshadowed by Shalyah’s, both because it was a very powerful performance and it was her breakout moment on the show. Emily’s performance was good and deserving of a playoff spot but I remember preferring Shalyah by a decent margin. 

There were clearly worse people in the T12 than her, which explains why her first boot could have been controversial (she was definitely better than Nick Hagelin)

Edited by Cookie73

3 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Watched Shalyah for the first time and :0

Emily was great, but I don't see how she won against THAT.

Can't argue against that, but the sad part is that Emily likely wouldnt have been stolen had she lost, judging by the coaches reactions. 

The important thing is that they both moved on. One of the few times I agreed with Pharrell pulling a Pharrell.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

One of the best rockers we have had on the show. She deserved better.

They gave her Let it Go and Chandelier. Smh. She should have gotten some Lizzy Hale, Joan Jett, Blondie, or hell, maybe some Aerosmith.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Misirlou said:

I remember part of it was because Owen messed up in his second IS performance. He has a cover of his IS song on YouTube and it is much better. Blake mentioned that Owen looked frustrated on stage, probably because he was in the save for the second week in a row

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I remember part of it was because Owen messed up in his second IS performance. He has a cover of his IS song on YouTube and it is much better. Blake mentioned that Owen looked frustrated on stage, probably because he was in the save for the second week in a row

With Owen, it was definitely a case of severe nerves. That was sadly his downfall. The best thing for him was to get off the show. He did not look happy in the lives.

9 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

With Owen, it was definitely a case of severe nerves. That was sadly his downfall. The best thing for him was to get off the show. He did not look happy in the lives.

Owen was one of those contestants that excelled a lot more in prelives, and he went from being the team frontrunner to not getting PV against two underdogs, one of which had their breakout moment the same week as Owen’s elimination

19 minutes ago, erik g said:

don’t know if anyone has said this yet but this was one of my favorite battles tbh

Such a great battle. I was a Kendra fan during that season but Kim was also really good here. They were pretty even here

54 minutes ago, Mistake006 said:

Speaking of Kendra, this was one of my favorite one-chair-turns

One chair turns never make my Top 5 auditions of the season and she managed to do that (especially on a season with many good auditions). I thought she deserved three or four chairs with that performance.

2 hours ago, Mistake006 said:

Speaking of Kendra, this was one of my favorite one-chair-turns

The fact that Kendra only got one chair from that is legitimately a head-scratcher; my only guess as to why that was the case would be a later taping where coaches start to get more picky, but even so I’m surprised she didn’t get at least a second chair.

I was just talking about Anatalia in the spoiler thread which reminded me of this criminally underrated battle. Missy shouldn't have when home, her high harmonies are INSANE.

Missy is probably one of the most forgotten contestants ever. I mean she's not out of this world amazing but she REALLY deserves more appreciation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mistake006 said:

I was just talking about Anatalia in the spoiler thread which reminded me of this criminally underrated battle. Missy shouldn't have when home, her high harmonies are INSANE.

Missy is probably one of the most forgotten contestants ever. I mean she's not out of this world amazing but she REALLY deserves more appreciation.

Season 12 especially a lot of really intriguing older contestants that were unfortunately used as fodders. Enid and Missy are good examples of this.

Sammie is another forgotten contestant from S12. This was just beautiful!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mistake006 said:

Season 12 especially a lot of really intriguing older contestants that were unfortunately used as fodders. Enid and Missy are good examples of this.

Sammie is another forgotten contestant from S12. This was just beautiful!

She has a Raine Stern-like quality to her voice. That was good!