Jump to content

Forgotten performances/contestants that deserve more attention


Mistake006
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can come up with many for the older seasons because a lot of people don’t seem to remember some of them at this point

 

Three from S6

Ryan Whyte Maloney

TJ Wilkins

Stevie Jo

 

Ryan is probably the most underrated 4 chair turn of S6. His audition was really good (it’s difficult to do a good Journey cover), but that season had so many popular 4 chair auditions that this one gets ignored. This is who I would have substituted Jake W for in Blake’s T3

 

Stevie only got 1 chair, but his audition was worthy of more. And he is another contestant that got eliminated in playoffs when he could have made T12. He also won 2 good battles that season. 


TJ was on the same team as Stevie, but he is underrated as well. His audition was one of the better 3 chair auditions that season (and he did a good soulful Elton John cover). His playoff was really good, but nobody remembers it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a contestant, Ricky Braddy was hugely underrated. Not only on IDF, but by TPTB in general. He was always left to appear in the last episodes of each round, had his battle montaged, and got  a Steve Winwood song, someone who couldn´t be more different from him stylistically and vocally, on the playoffs. Plus, of course he got flack for beating Zach in the KOs from Minivan. Not to mention his performance of "The Story" gets often overlooked in favor of Janice´s and Zan´s.

 

At least he did get a 4 coach standing O for his KO though, and singing a coach song.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

As a contestant, Ricky Braddy was hugely underrated. Not only on IDF, but by TPTB in general. He was always left to appear in the last episodes of each round, had his battle montaged, and got  a Steve Winwood song, someone who couldn´t be more different from him stylistically and vocally, on the playoffs. Plus, of course he got flack for beating Zach in the KOs from Minivan. Not to mention his performance of "The Story" gets often overlooked in favor of Janice´s and Zan´s.

 

At least he did get a 4 coach standing O for his KO though, and singing a coach song.

 


He really did. I didn’t pick up on how undervalued he was by TPTB, as he was always at the end of the round. Tyen Blake saved Cali, who had in my opinion, the worst playoff of the night, over him.  I also preferred him to Kat each round. He also had the misfortune of being on the same team as another Ricky that was more popular and got great treatment. And I loved his Audition and Knockout

 

In terms of The Story performances, Janice > Ricky > Zan for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Misirlou said:

As a contestant, Ricky Braddy was hugely underrated. Not only on IDF, but by TPTB in general. He was always left to appear in the last episodes of each round, had his battle montaged, and got  a Steve Winwood song, someone who couldn´t be more different from him stylistically and vocally, on the playoffs. Plus, of course he got flack for beating Zach in the KOs from Minivan. Not to mention his performance of "The Story" gets often overlooked in favor of Janice´s and Zan´s.

 

At least he did get a 4 coach standing O for his KO though, and singing a coach song.

 

I wasn't on the forum during S17.
I knew Blake would save Cali, but Kat and RickyD?? they didn't care me and moved without problems 🥲

He had the best KO of the season!! It hurt me to see him go home that night

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ricky Braddy's "So High" was electric. One of the most raw vocals of the entire season. Seeing him go over so undervalued throughout the season, especially how refreshing it was to see him return after his Idol robbery back in the day, was really frustrating, especially his one-two of "The Story" and "So High" was, to me, far stronger and more memorable than Ricky D., Kat, or Cali's pre-live runs. Guy deserved way better.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, peachfuz said:

Ricky Braddy's "So High" was electric. One of the most raw vocals of the entire season. Seeing him go over so undervalued throughout the season, especially how refreshing it was to see him return after his Idol robbery back in the day, was really frustrating, especially his one-two of "The Story" and "So High" was, to me, far stronger and more memorable than Ricky D., Kat, or Cali's pre-live runs. Guy deserved way better.

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, peachfuz said:

Ricky Braddy's "So High" was electric. One of the most raw vocals of the entire season. Seeing him go over so undervalued throughout the season, especially how refreshing it was to see him return after his Idol robbery back in the day, was really frustrating, especially his one-two of "The Story" and "So High" was, to me, far stronger and more memorable than Ricky D., Kat, or Cali's pre-live runs. Guy deserved way better.


I was looking through old Tvline reviews and I realized that Charlie Mason gave none of his performances above a B- (I would have given them all at least a full grade higher personally). Another example of a contestant that Charlie seemed to be harsh on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Amber has plenty of excellent performances later on, but I really like this one as well. I don't see it talked about much.

 

I love this one too! Her tone is so rich and she exhibits so much power with that voice of hers. One of my favorite auditions of the legendary Season 4. ✨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of Season 4, Caroline Glaser is really underrated imo. She wasn’t in the best position on Adam’s stacked Playoffs team, but her tone is absolutely gorgeous! 

I enjoyed all her performances, but these two are my favorites from her. 

 

There were a few pitchy spots in her audition, but overall, her tone shined through and the delivery was gorgeous. It was such a cool rendition of that song and the studio is a masterpiece. 


Her battle with Danielle is one of my favorites as well (obviously. :P) I’m so glad she got stolen after it. 


 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This performance was iconic, not only because it was excellent, but also, he sang this song before it became really popular in the next year. I remember listening in the radio in 2014 and thinking "i have listened to this before, but i can't recall where" and then i remembered, it was from this performance right here. 

 

He also managed to get really high on iTunes. I would dare to say that, it was probably, at the time, one of the highest iTunes charts positions of a pre-taped performance of The Voice. It was THAT iconic.

 

Imagine if Knockout steals didn't were implemented that season. Losing both Cole and Will in the Knockouts would have been TRAGIC. 

 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vocally perfect? Heck no. But her performance was so emotionally scintillating, it really felt like her saying, "I will not be denied". I kinda wonder how good she could've become had Kelly held on to her, because with some coaching, she could've known how to use her weapon more proficiently.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, peachfuz said:

Vocally perfect? Heck no. But her performance was so emotionally scintillating, it really felt like her saying, "I will not be denied". I kinda wonder how good she could've become had Kelly held on to her, because with some coaching, she could've known how to use her weapon more proficiently.

I think she would've had a better shot against Alexa than Jorge, she might've made the lives imo but we'll never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...