Why did Arthur Gunn no show for the finale?

Arthur Gunn was supposed to sing with Sheryl Crow but didn't show up. I think the whole twist which everyone hated plus his ouster at the top 5. He probably was embarrassed and honestly I hope idol never does that kind of twist again.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

curious minds want to know what was behind that decision too. he was done dirty by TPTB. also the other contestants didn't seem that keen to embrace him. 

they should have not done that twist and instead just let season 18 contestants perform as guests. almost all of the top 10/11 from last year has new music out and a little bit of promotion from the show would have helped.  

Edited by blackfield
  • Like 1

Take it with a grain of salt but I read in another forum that according to someone at the show Arthur was there and went thru the rehearsals but it was going to be a train wreck. Arthur could not sing the song straight and Sheryl was not willing to take liberties with the arrangements so Arthur bowed out. Graham was there as a guest of Chayce's family and is familiar with the songs so they let him perform. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, vicki4471 said:

Take it with a grain of salt but I read in another forum that according to someone at the show Arthur was there and went thru the rehearsals but it was going to be a train wreck. Arthur could not sing the song straight and Sheryl was not willing to take liberties with the arrangements so Arthur bowed out. Graham was there as a guest of Chayce's family and is familiar with the songs so they let him perform. 

Damn. Sad if so. This season has had it's moments of WTF and I don't mean that as a positive... 

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

I don’t think he backed out because of haters.

Nope. This news of him leaving will make folks who hated him already even more irritated with him... IMO :/ 

arthur just posted about it on his instagram. 

using words of "unpleasant environmental experiences" and "these confrontations didn't need to happen at the show"

take it as it is -  it is more than idol will tell. 

it wasn't about the performance or the arrangement. he even apologized to sheryl crowe and invited her to one of his upcoming shows. 

14 minutes ago, blackfield said:

arthur just posted about it on his instagram. 

using words of "unpleasant environmental experiences" and "these confrontations didn't need to happen at the show"

take it as it is -  it is more than idol will tell. 

it wasn't about the performance or the arrangement. he even apologized to sheryl crowe and invited her to one of his upcoming shows. 

How generous of him :haha:

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

tl;dr:
—Arthur refused to come out of his trailer five minutes before they were needed to begin the final broadcast.

—Graham had been approached by some producers a few days beforehand to see if he’d be able to perform because Arthur had developed a reputation as being difficult to work with, so they were anticipating this happening (while other producers didn’t think there’d be a problem)

—Graham didn’t hear anything about being needed until the finale started airing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Elliott said:

—Graham had been approached by some producers a few days beforehand to see if he’d be able to perform because Arthur had developed a reputation as being difficult to work with, so they were anticipating this happening

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Just now, ClebastianFan said:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

I was like "So... he developed this reputation and they still invited him back?"

No wonder the show runner stepped down after this season. :dead:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I was like "So... he developed this reputation and they still invited him back?"

No wonder the show runner stepped down after this season. :dead:

This just makes me even more mad at him stealing a spot in the Top 10.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blackfield said:

ego inflating GIF by Jon Newman

What an EGO this Arthur kid must have. :haha: So glad Just Sam beat him last year. It would have just been more perfect of Caleb and Arthur went out together instead of Hunter. 😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Not that I'm calling Clark a liar or trying to defend Arthur (I'm in no way a fan of his), but do contestants have their own trailers? This is the first I've heard of contestants staying in trailers, I thought they would just be backstage🤔

Edited by Lackey
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lackey said:

Not that I'm calling Clark a liar or trying to defend Arthur (I'm in no way a fan of his), but do contestants have their own trailers? This is the first I've heard of contestants staying in trailers, I thought they would just be backstage🤔

They did this year, at least. It’s where they got their hair/make-up/etc. done since they had to limit the amount of crew that interacted with them.

Chayce, Hunter, Casey all posted videos to their Instagram story throughout the season of them inside their respective trailers.

42 minutes ago, Lackey said:

It is pile on Gunn day don't ya know. lol

But honestly Clark's random take sounds like BS...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2