• Makayla Phillips
    • Olivia Ximines
  3. 3. Favorite Male Contestant?

• DeWayne Crocker, Jr.
    • Dibesh Pokharel (a.k.a. Arthur Gunn)
    • Franklin Boone
    • Louis Knight
    • Nick Merico

All these excuses for why Just Sam won...yikes. 🥴 I don't even think Just Sam was that popular on here. Julia, Francisco etc. had more support than she had. Her win was a shock for many of us. Not sure what Arthur and his questionable vocals have to do with Just Sam. It should've been an easy win for him. He just sucks.

The "IDF only likes divas and pageant girls" arguments don't work for people who have very questionable vocals and who borderline can't sing i.e Arthur and Alejandro. They legit have very limited ranges. I have no problem with people like Francisco and Laine because they actually have some semblance of a vocal range. I didn't even care for Just Sam like that but she was miles ahead of Arthur. "Artistry" can only carry you so far when you don't have the vocals to back it up. I liked Arthur originally, but I was over him after the fourth messy cover of "Have You Ever Seen The Rain." One of the biggest short-comings of this new phase of American Idol is the judges hyping up "artists" or non-vocalist like Alejandro while de-emphasizing the importance of talent and the voice. Not to compare, but one thing I can respect about "The Voice" is that they always put talent first. If you can't sing, you aren't making it that far, or past the blind auditions quite frankly. On American Idol, every other audition is "I think we found the next Alejandro" like that's supposed to be a complement. Pls lmao. Like why is he the bar? It seemed like we were somewhat returning to the old idol with vocalists such as Grace, Casey, Alanis, Alyssa, Willie, Deshawn, hell even Jason. Bringing back Arthur in particular will just undo a lot of that process cause I have a feeling he will easily sail to the finale w his mediocrity.  

I hate that anyone is coming back. However, if they were going to do this, they should've just let non-top-10 contestants come back. People like Arthur and Louis have a pre-existing fanbase as they were voted through a couple of rounds, and have probably experienced expanded fanbases and post-idol support from their time on the show. This especially holds true for Arthur who made it all the way to second place. No reason why a runner-up should be allowed to compete against current contestants. For the non-top-10 contestants, this twist would be equivalent to auditioning for American Idol the next season. These contestants show(ed) no real evidence of pre-existing support or a massive fanbase given they weren't voted through last season. So it would be some sort of a leveled playing field. I think back in season 13, all non-tour attending contestants (aka everyone outside the top 10) were allowed to reaudition for the show. 

Edited by joe14
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, joe14 said:

All these excuses for why Just Sam won...yikes. 🥴 I don't even think Just Sam was that popular on here. Julia, Francisco etc. had more support than she had. Her win was a shock for many of us. Not sure what Arthur and his questionable vocals have to do with Just Sam. It should've been an easy win for him. He just sucks.

The "IDF only likes divas and pageant girls" arguments don't work for people who have very questionable vocals and who borderline can't sing i.e Arthur and Alejandro. They legit have very limited ranges. I have no problem with people like Francisco and Laine because they actually have some semblance of a vocal range. I didn't even care for Just Sam like that but she was miles ahead of Arthur. "Artistry" can only carry you so far when you don't have the vocals to back it up. I liked Arthur originally, but I was over him after the fourth messy cover of "Have You Ever Seen The Rain." One of the biggest short-comings of this new phase of American Idol is the judges hyping up "artists" or non-vocalist like Alejandro while de-emphasizing the importance of talent and the voice. Not to compare, but one thing I can respect about "The Voice" is that they always put talent first. If you can't sing, you aren't making it that far, or past the blind auditions quite frankly. On American Idol, every other audition is "I think we found the next Alejandro" like that's supposed to be a complement. Pls lmao. Like why is he the bar? It seemed like we were somewhat returning to the old idol with vocalists such as Grace, Casey, Alanis, Alyssa, Willie, Deshawn, hell even Jason. Bringing back Arthur in particular will just undo a lot of that process cause I have a feeling he will easily sail to the finale w his mediocrity.  

I hate that anyone is coming back. However, if they were going to do this, they should've just let non-top-10 contestants come back. People like Arthur and Louis have a pre-existing fanbase as they were voted through a couple of rounds, and have probably experienced expanded fanbases and post-idol support from their time on the show. This especially holds true for Arthur who made it all the way to second place. No reason why a runner-up should be allowed to compete against current contestants. For the non-top-10 contestants, this twist would be equivalent to auditioning for American Idol the next season. These contestants show(ed) no real evidence of pre-existing support or a massive fanbase given they weren't voted through last season. So it would be some sort of a leveled playing field. I think back in season 13, all non-tour attending contestants (aka everyone outside the top 10) were allowed to reaudition for the show. 

Having a great voice is only one piece of puzzle. Artistry is more important and will take you farther in the industry. Many people in the industry have mediocre voices but are very successful because of their songwriting acumen.

12 minutes ago, IdolFan117 said:

Having a great voice is only one piece of puzzle. Artistry is more important and will take you farther in the industry. Many people in the industry have mediocre voices but are very successful because of their songwriting acumen.

Yeah but it's a singing competition at the end of the day. Songwriting and artistry can be a plus, but there needs to be a certain minimum standard imo. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Angie Miller from many years ago had the artistry plus an incredible voice. That's how it should be. I have no problem with Alejandro working his way up in the industry, but on a singing show, the vocals need to be up to par. The talent between old idol and new idol seems to be night and day because it seems like these new set of judges have their own criteria. Plus, I'm not sure why we are still pretending like American Idol is looking for actual superstars. It's clear they are looking to produce a great show. Maddie had artistry imo and the record label didn't do squat for her. For all the artistry Alejandro has, he isn't exactly making waves tbh. 

Edited by joe14

8 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Yeah but it's a singing competition at the end of the day. Songwriting and artistry can be a plus, but there needs to be a certain minimum standard imo. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Angie Miller from many years ago had the artistry plus an incredible voice. That's how it should be. I have no problem with Alejandro working his way up in the industry, but on a singing show, the vocals need to be up to par. The talent between old idol and new idol seems to be night and day because it seems like these new set of judges have their own criteria. Plus, I'm not sure why we are still pretending like American Idol is looking for actual superstars. It's clear they are looking to produce a great show. Maddie had artistry imo and the record label didn't do squat for her. For all the artistry Alejandro has, he isn't exactly making waves tbh. 

Exactly. I think Maddie was a great Idol contestant because she had the perfect ballance of vocals and artistry and never had to rely on one specifically more than the other throughout the competition. Alejandro was 90% artistry, 10% vocals. 

Edited by m1key

40 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I have to disagree, the show isnt about finding great singers. Yes, singing ability is one piece of the equation, but at the end of the day they are trying to find artists that will succeed in the industry. How successful an artist is after the show is dependent on how much the label pushes them, it has nothing to do with the show. I do want to argue that Alejandro has made a dent in the industry. After coming off Idol, he has performed sold out shows across the country.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joe14 said:

The Eastern time zone voting for the finale worked in Sam's favor - and against Arthur who is from the Midwest and Francisco, Jonny, Dillon who were in the West Coast. 

In the real world, you need a lot more than just singing ability (a lot of which is based on personal preference, bias).  That's why so many good technical singers struggle after the show.  

It doesn't matter who wins, but who ultimately has the better career.   Alejandro must doing well enough to get people to pay to see him on his sold out tours.  And he still has a record deal.  Whereas Sam was dropped a few months after winning.

Arthur and Alejandro may not be the best vocalists in the history of the show, but their voices were memorable. IMO

There's "Sounds like Kelly Clarkson reincarnated..." and then there's sounds like YOU. I'd go with the unique vocalists over another belter who can't emote.

I'm sorry if I played the race card earlier by the way. It was feeling too deja vu like in here talking about Arthur and to a lesser extent Alejandro... :( 

ETA: Melinda and Haley are two of my all time faves from Idol so there ya go. :P 

Edited by KelseyW

1 minute ago, Idol Maniac said:

Interesting. What Im wondering is if the Top 12 is going to have cuts the night of the Returnee performances, or if the Top 12 results will be held off until Sunday, May 2nd as well?

3 minutes ago, BamBam said:

Why is there a week off at the end of April?? And when is the finale??

Seems like we are gonna get another 5 person finale with a bunch of mass boot eps.

Just saw, Oscars which makes some sense. And then Seasame Street on Monday?!?!?1 Thats a low point for idol.

32 minutes ago, BamBam said:

Why is there a week off at the end of April?? And when is the finale??

Seems like we are gonna get another 5 person finale with a bunch of mass boot eps.

If they utilize the Monday episodes for both performances and results, the eliminations could go smoother.

5 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

If they utilize the Monday episodes for both performances and results, the eliminations could go smoother.

That is true. Not sure I am confident they do that but that would work.

If starting May 2nd they have everyone perform and America vote. Then monday they cut like 2 and have everyone vote. So on..

If each night in May results in people getting booted we could have a reasonable finale of a final 3 and also not have episodes resulting in a mass slaughter of 4+

When I first heard about the twist, I wasnt too crazy about it. However, after hearing about what the format might be, it has grown on me. Now hear me out. By the time the twist gets introduced and the ten season 18 hopefuls perform on the Idol stage on April 19, the S19 contestants will have performed almost the same amount of times as last years contestants. Barring a possible Arthur Gunn voting sweep, the S19 contestants will have gained some momentum with the viewers and the contestants will be at a pretty even playing field. I'm assuming that a "few" means 3 or 4 contestants will join the current contenders. The fact that they will merge on May 2nd guarantees that there are still 6 performance shows before the finale. 

• Idol Maniac changed the title to American Idol Season 19: AI18 Top 20 Second Chance Twist