The Voice ● S21 ● Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

16 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I keep forgetting about Javier, so there have been 3 finalists? Him, Ricky Duran and Aliyah Moulden? Also, why don’t they make the show in high numbers? They don’t try out? 

Vicci Martinez wasn’t Hispanic ?

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

Vicci was CeeLo’s S1 finalist. She came in 3rd behind Javier and Dia Frampton.

So, back when the audience was of decent size, and not as dominated by minivan. The AA powerhouses are actually still popular with the audience, even if they don’t win. 

It's harder because Hispanic/Latino isn't a race, it's an ethnicity ie Ricky Duran would generally be identified as white-Hispanic while Aliyah Moulden is Black-Hispanic. There is also an entire separate Spanish "voice", and the show doesn’t tend to cast a lot of Hispanic artists. I do think the voice audience as a whole tends to want middle America apple pie...which doesn't generally square with Hispanic or Latino 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

So, back when the audience was of decent size, and not as dominated by minivan. The AA powerhouses are actually still popular with the audience, even if they don’t win. 

The S1 four finalists were a dark-skinned Hispanic male, a quirky indie vibe female, a powerhouse Hispanic female and a 40 yo white bald female with neck tattoos. Oh, and the last two were out lesbians. 

Let’s just say the audience was a bit more open-minded.

Edited by AngelaKD

Now that we are talking about representation, i know a lot of people (including me) are not exactly happy that Jim and Sasha have made it this far, but i think we don't realize how much this means for trans people, especially for young trans people. After 20 seasons with almost no trans representation (one of the two trans people that turned a chair was montaged twice, and the fact that she is asian make it that worse), a young trans boy has made it all the way to Top 11. This probably means a lot for young trans folks, and the fact that he is with his father who accept him as he is probably very meaningful for a lot of young trans guys and girls that are afraid to be rejected by their parents.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 21

24 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

A quirky indie vibe female

Let's not erasure the fact that she also has Asian background :thumbs:

Edit: i did a little research, she is half-Korean, her mother is originary from Seoul

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Now that we are talking about representation, i know a lot of people (including me) are not exactly happy that Jim and Sasha have made it this far, but i think we don't realize how this means for trans people, especially for young trans people. After 20 seasons with almost no trans representation (one of the two trans people that turned a chair was montaged twice, and the fact that she is asian make it that worse), a young trans boy has made it all the way to Top 11. This probably means a lot for young trans folks, and the fact that he is with his father who accept him as he is probably very meaningful for a lot of young trans guys and girls that are afraid to be rejected by their parents.

Great comment.

I said early on during the release of the KO spoilers that Jim and Sasha is in a good position for the Top 3 on Ariana's team, mostly because they just are in their own lane there. The only thing that gave me pause (and please don't infer anything from this... this is just the reality we're in) is that the audience won't take to them because of Sasha's identity. I am very pleased that America proved me wrong in that regard. Whatever happens, I'm glad for Jim and Sasha to exist on this show and I hope it inspires people of all identities and creeds to take a chance and audition.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Joshua says he has "big shoes to fill" next week, but he is "so ready".

I'm assuming its gonna be a more well known song this time around because of that.

I don't know but I could see them trying to get him into something like Queen? He can probably pull off some Freddie Mercury energy but vocally it'd be a big challenge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I don't know but I could see them trying to get him into something like Queen? He can probably pull off some Freddie Mercury energy but vocally it'd be a big challenge.

If it’s Queen, I hope for his sake it’s not “Somebody to Love” because no matter how well he would do with it, there’d be comparisons to Jordan’s version from anyone who’s heard that particular cover.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jem128 said:

Yes and she said on her live yesterday that she plans to continue to do these types of songs. 

Yes. And since she also said she's trying to "slip some more country in," she might do a classic country song before the season ends.

On the topic of representation, is it me or does The Voice have the tendency to montage a lot of its asian performers? From all the contestants that have asian heritage that I can remember, I recall a large portion of them being montaged once or twice. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, JaeEli said:

On the topic of representation, is it me or does The Voice have the tendency to montage a lot of its asian performers? From all the contestants that have asian heritage that I can remember, I recall a large portion of them being montaged once or twice. 

Yes. Cilla Chan, Daria Jazmin, Megan Lee, and Katherine Ho had ALL their performances montaged, despite Jazmin getting 3 chairs in her audition and Katherine making it to the KOs. Lots of other Asian contestants have been in montages/shortclips too like Clara Hong, Nathan Hermida, Joe Tolo, Christian Fermin, RADHA, Jacob Daniel Murphy, and Sophia Bromberg, plus a lot of others I'm sure I forgot. Proportionally, it seems like most of the Asians on this show get at least one montage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ikwonic said:

Yes. Cilla Chan, Daria Jazmin, Megan Lee, and Katherine Ho had ALL their performances montaged, despite Jazmin getting 3 chairs in her audition and Katherine making it to the KOs. Lots of other Asian contestants have been in montages/shortclips too like Clara Hong, Nathan Hermida, Joe Tolo, Christian Fermin, RADHA, Jacob Daniel Murphy, and Sophia Bromberg, plus a lot of others I'm sure I forgot. Proportionally, it seems like most of the Asians on this show get at least one montage.

To add, Angel Bonilla was montaged twice. Tim Atlas and Moushumi were montaged once as well. Yeah, glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

Everytime I see an Asian on The Voice, I always hope I get to see all their performances in full because its always disheartening to see them get montaged every single time. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JaeEli said:

To add, Angel Bonilla was montaged twice. Tim Atlas and Moushumi were montaged once as well. Yeah, glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

Everytime I see an Asian on The Voice, I always hope I get to see all their performances in full because its always disheartening to see them get montaged every single time. 

I think some people referred to it as the "Asian curse" or something earlier on.

I still get a little excited I see an Asian contestant go unmontaged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torres said:

Random but does the 'Voice Reupload'  channel belong to the voice. I've noticed they use exact thumbnails and caption that were in the before deleted videos before.

No it doesn't, that's why its blocked in the US.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Someone648 said:

I think the lower end would be his problem again. I don't think he'd struggle massively but I'm not sure if the risk is worth the payoff.

4 hours ago, Someone648 said:

I think some people referred to it as the "Asian curse" or something earlier on.

I still get a little excited I see an Asian contestant go unmontaged.

talking about representation, i cannot remember the last time they had an Indian contestant and didn't montage them.