The Voice ● S21 ● Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

TEAM LEGEND

- Joshua: amazing! I can see it opening or closing the night.

- Shadale: I really like it, sounds like an original and not a cover (maybe just me), plus: THAT ENDING!! The song choice still seems strange. Crossing fingers

- Jershika: Jershika: no words, i don't like this (I think it's for the song). although her low notes 10/10

TEAM KELLY

- I don't know how I feel about Gymani, she sounds beautiful but I find it boring the first part, and the second part yells banzilla alert...

- GNT: it's their essence!! totally heavenly 👑 (Bekah gives me Maelyn vibes at times, chills)

- Jeremy: I'm scared, I'm just going to say that

- Hailey: I love this song and she sounds BEAUTIFUL. Love it! Solid work. I hope it's just her and a standing mic

Releasing some thoughts on studios now that I’m caffeinated and it’s not 1 AM lmao

• Joshua got a song choice right in his wheelhouse that’s a good mix of dramatic and vulnerable. If he doesn’t get Bandzilla’d live, this will be good. Fingers crossed it clicks for the audience this week.
  • Lana’s finally going less country-pop (nothing wrong with that, but I’ve been dying to hear her do something more traditionally country since her audition). As long as she nails that one big note about 2/3 of the way into the song, I don’t see her in the bottom three this week.
  • Jim & Sasha’s studio is just gorgeous, and if they pull this off live it’s 100% the redemption they desperately need after last week. It’s an audience friendly song choice, too, so I’d be shocked to see them in the bottom three this week.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Someone_is_here said:

I have been watching since season 18 so i don't know this format can someone please explain this season format for the lives

It’s a free for all (any number of people from a coach’s team can advance). The top 10 vote getters will automatically move on this week, and the three lowest vote getters will compete in an instant save tomorrow night where they sing for a second chance and the audience gets five minutes to vote after the last person is done performing. The person who wins the instant save will join the top 10 to form the top 11. 

More thoughts:

• Girl Named Tom sounds incredible harmonizing as usual, and it seems like Bekah’s taking the lead this week vocally. I will pretend to be shocked when they get voted through.
  • Holly’s song is a big ask, but she sounds great. As long as she doesn’t get accused of pandering and does this well live, I don’t foresee her having any trouble making the top 11, especially since I also expect her to close the show.
  • Wendy, so far, is the only one who hasn’t sounded even remotely like herself in the studio for her song. I expect her to nail it live (because she’s Wendy and that’s what she does) and it’s technically not just a country song if you’re doing Linda’s version, so Blake’s still keeping a lane open for Lana while also subtly priming the viewers for Wendy to do more country work down the road if she wants to.
  • Like 1

Hailey's cover is pretty far removed from the iconic Chrissie Hynde/Pretenders's original. Sounds like there might be an intermediate pop version in the background.  Maybe something like this from Amber Riley on Glee. Hailey does well.

Thoughts chugging along in my brain:

• Gymani sounds good and this should be fine live, but I worry about the song not being accessible enough for the audience despite being a Christian song.
  • Hailey’s opening is super pretty, and this is her most Minivan friendly song yet. I expect her to be just fine this week.
  • Jeremy has the riskiest song choice of his team, but he doesn’t sound half bad here. If he pulls it off live (which with the arrangement of the song shouldn’t be too much of an issue), he’s gonna skate through this week with little issue.

34 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

More thoughts:

• Wendy, so far, is the only one who hasn’t sounded even remotely like herself in the studio for her song. I expect her to nail it live (because she’s Wendy and that’s what she does) and it’s technically not just a country song if you’re doing Linda’s version, so Blake’s still keeping a lane open for Lana while also subtly priming the viewers for Wendy to do more country work down the road if she wants to.

What do you mean BB isn’t technically a country song? It’s not a country song, period. Co-written and sung first by Roy Orbison, then covered and re-charted by Linda Ronstadt. Those are the two definitive versions and neither was considered country in their time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

What do you mean BB isn’t technically a country song? It’s not a country song, period. Co-written and sung first by Roy Orbison, then covered and re-charted by Linda Ronstadt. Those are the two definitive versions and neither was considered country in their time.

I was going off Wikipedia calling it country pop in addition to yacht rock/soft rock, but I admit it’s definitely not as country as, say, George Strait/Loretta Lynn/Dolly Parton/Martina McBride/etc.

8 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I was going off Wikipedia calling it country pop in addition to yacht rock/soft rock, but I admit it’s definitely not as country as, say, George Strait/Loretta Lynn/Dolly Parton/Martina McBride/etc.

Jeez, call Linda Ronstadt Yacht Rock is rough. 

Linda have always been a crossover artist and is a great pick for Wendy, who has been transitioning to country slowly since I will always love you. If I'd have to bet, I'd say she'll go full country powerhouse next round. 

Edited by SNI2
  • Like 1

So Shadale is dedicating her song to her dad, Ryleigh to her sister, Jeremy likely to his daughter, Hailey likely to her mom, Jershika and Gymani to God/their church roots probably. And no clue about the rest.

I'd say GNT is dedicating theirs to their dad, but it indeed is a bit of macabre song to do that lol.

Holly dedicating The Dance is also weird. Its not a love song.

Edited by Misirlou

Final studio thoughts:

• Paris sounds fine, but needs a less expected song choice next week that’s still in his wheelhouse. Also, there’s something kind of ironic about the military guy singing a song inspired by anti-war protests, but I digress.
  • Questionably popular opinion: Ryleigh sounds right at home in the Stevie Nicks vibe vocally. I wish the arrangement was a touch more slowed down so her voice got a better shot at shining, but if nothing else, this should be better than her playoffs performance.
  • Jershika’s got a song that highlights her highs and lows (especially her lows, holy crap) and is right in her preferred genre as well as being a song by an artist that seems to be fairly well known in Christian music circles, so I think she’ll be fine.
  • Shadale…well, it’s less of a bus than I expected, but that’s not saying much. I expect this to be okay live, since she can do upbeat songs fairly well, but frankly, I’m just hoping she doesn’t get Bandzilla’d like she did during the studio version (and that whatever she’ll probably have to sing tomorrow is a much better fit for her stylistically).

4 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Linda Ronstadt was able to dabble in multiple genres, but I have never considered her a country singer. As the title implies, Orbison thought of it as a blues song. Of course, with country meaning almost anything these days, some people consider blues as a sub-genre, but I don’t think Roy Orbison was a country singer either.

And while we’re at it, Life Is a Highway started as a rock song, not a country song either!

• Like 1