The Voice ● S21 ● Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

Italians (and Irish) have always been considered white. But there was very serious anti-Catholic bias, and different types of Europeans were considered clean vs unclean. The idea of race vs ethnicity means a lot at various different points in time.

(the idea of Jews as white is very much a recent phenomenon, but that’s a different conversation). 

24 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I envy you

I’ll just say there aren’t an abundant number of people of Italian heritage where I live, and as far as I know, they are considered “white” here. 

BTW, Brynn is Italian. Nobody thought she wasn’t white. LOL

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

It’s a lot less prevalent of a mindset now than it was in the 50s/60s (my grandmother who’s in her 80s dealt a lot more with it than anyone I know younger than her with Italian heritage) but there’s definitely still pockets of it around.

Anyway…back to the show.

Any guesses for shock predictions this week?

I could see Shadale escaping the B3 since it’s dedication week and we all know she’s capable of delivering another emotional performance. 

This in turn could mean that all 3 Team Legend members survive to Top 11 which could be a shock for some 

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

Jokes aside, there are people that genuinely don't consider Italian people as white :wacko:

omg I've seen some Arianators trying to pass Ari off as a POC because she's Italian 😭

Edited by FloorWax
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I’ll just say there aren’t an abundant number of people of Italian heritage where I live, and as far as I know, they are considered “white” here. 

BTW, Brynn is Italian. Nobody thought she wasn’t white. LOL

It's just an ongoing joke/meme at this point. Since the whole Fredo fiasco a couple years back all the way to casting Chris Pratt as Mario.

38 minutes ago, BlueNight13 said:

I could see Shadale escaping the B3 since it’s dedication week and we all know she’s capable of delivering another emotional performance. 

This in turn could mean that all 3 Team Legend members survive to Top 11 which could be a shock for some 

Yesss. Literally if she could just recreate her performance of Hurt live, I think she would be safe to move on to next week.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ikwonic said:

Yesss. Literally if she could just recreate her performance of Hurt live, I think she would be safe to move on to next week.

If she did that, I think she could surpass Jershika. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ikwonic said:

14 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

If she did that, I think she could surpass Jershika. 

I completely agree with both of these. I think Shadale was just overshadowed with her performance during PO. There wasn’t a lot of “moments” like Jershika created with her song. But I don’t think it’s clear-cut that Shadale is in the bottom this week based on song choices/actual performances 

As for the discussion of Italian discrimination, I know that there has been a history of discrimination against Catholics in the U.S. (mainly committed by white Protestants). Given that a lot of Italians are Catholic and Catholicism is a big part of Italian culture, that is where discrimination ties in. Nowadays, though, from my awareness, they pretty much are considered and pass as white. Whether they face discrimination to this day is not something I know enough about, but I do know that POC experience discrimination and racism to this day.

Source: someone who has taken APUSH relatively recently

Edited by Anybody354

Girl Named Tom’s latest IG post has this caption:

we've never been this excited for a MONDAY 🤩

this week went by in the blink of an eye! we've been working overtime on our arrangement for tomorrow night and we are SO READY to share this music with you. 🌸 also - this week is dedication week! we're looking forward to letting you in on more of our story. it's becoming increasingly apparent how grateful we are for you; the people who surround us with love and music- some since yesterday, and some since day one. ✨ 

take some time today to thank the folks around you who surround you with love & build you up 🧡

Edited by Dane Bautista
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I think her sister's name is Rhiannon, so this definitely fits.

https://www.instagram.com/rhiiannon_plank/?hl=en

Well, it's definitely Rhiannon I guess :giggle:

Not sure about how I feel about her singing that though. If it's the original midtempo version that S15 Team Adam flopped on, I doubt she'd make an impression. Katrina Cain's slowed down version would be better for her.