Idols roots are lost - and Season 19 is just more proof

Cranberrys

On 2/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, Cranberrys said:

IMO you're full is sh*t.  The Voice coaches have done far more their winners than Idol Judges have done for theirs.  The Voice' last 5 or 6 seasons winners are getting great support from their coaches - guiding them away from Republic to season themselves in the real music business world and find an independent road to success with coaches direct support every step of the way.  

LOL who cares, its not the job of the judges to do things for the winners. And obviously the Voice judges aren't finding success with their alumni. Chevel who? And whatever happened to Maelyn? Who was the last winner to actually release an album?

• Haha 1

How many American Idol alumni were on The Voice as coaches in the past and present?

How many The Voice alumni have appeared on American Idol to promote something or to mentor someone?

Now knock it off with the who's better and has more success and it's The Voice people... :lmao:

Idol has the facts and the numbers. The Voice has had some success as a television program and a couple alumni success stories. THAT IS IT. ;) 

Katy Perry Reaction GIF by Idols Global

And about the Katy Perry and not an actual Idol alumni GIF. She's my favorite Idol judge after Steven Tyler so stop. lol

1 minute ago, countrynineteen said:

I personally don't count Tori Kelly or Lauren Daigle (Or Todrick Hall) as Idol success stories. None were famous because of Idol. Same with Morgan Wallen for The Voice. I would also say the same about Daniel Seavey.

I don't either. Just saying Idol promotes them as such so if The Voice wanted to they could do the same. Although, it doesn't seem like Voice usually promotes most alums anyway. Unless a contestant gets immediate opportunities or success after the show I don't really consider their success due to the show such as Daniel Seavey, Tori Kelly, Morgan Wallen, etc.

Reality shows (on their own) are never going to be the huge career launchers that they used to be. The industry in general has changed a lot. A big part of this is due to streaming/accessibility - artists don't need to go on TV to become known, and the regular person can seek out whatever music they want to and only listen to that. Having a massively popular song on social media or whatever is a much more genuine way to get real fans and also to show that the artist can have success in the industry.

There's also the decline of TV in general, and the prime demographic that watches these shows is often not the same demographic that would be super helpful after it. Then there's the nature of reality shows - they get you invested during the season, but a lot of viewers don't pay any attention after the show is done/ the contestant is eliminated. And there's always going to be at least some producer manipulation/ whatever behind the scenes stuff that goes on (these shows exist for entertainment first), so the artists may not have the freedom to sing what they want, they may not be presented that genuinely, and in general what it takes to be successful on a show can be pretty different than in the industry. After the show, they also no longer have the draw of being on national TV and the guaranteed publicity that comes with it, so they have to maintain engagement on their own. They can also choose to go in a different direction post-show. 

Of course, for (most) artists, being on the show has lots of benefits. They get to work with vocal coaches and other staff who can help them improve and grow a lot. They can get exposure and many new fans. Especially for the younger and/or less experienced artists, they can figure out their lane artistically and keep growing. They can also make connections within the industry. So even for artists who don't win or get that far, these experiences help them to continue growing and potentially be more successful later on. So even though it is very unlikely to be successful directly from a show, it can still play a very significant role in their future success. Also not every artist's goal is to become a massive star.

• Like 3

If I was an artist looking to improve myself as a singer and find my artist identity, I would go to The Voice because that's what the COACHES are for after all.

If I was an artist looking for a more competitive, cutthroat, and realistic atmosphere that represents the music industry a bit more accurately to help me gain success, I would go to Idol.

Both shows have their benefits for artists, just depends on where they are in their career or where they want to go with it. Another thing to take note of is that The Voice allows both younger and older contestants outside the age range of Idol allows. I think that kind of says that they aren't really looking for a modern day star and just want to help the artists develop, with the career as an after thought. If they were looking for a modern day pop star, they wouldn't be having anybody over the age of 30 on that show.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, countrynineteen said:

I personally don't count Tori Kelly or Lauren Daigle (Or Todrick Hall) as Idol success stories. None were famous because of Idol. Same with Morgan Wallen for The Voice. I would also say the same about Daniel Seavey.

Lauren Daigle wasn’t even aired so she isn’t a success story lol

Whether it's Idol or The Voice, TV singing competitions have been on the decline.  It's because viewers, labels, artists today have way more options in finding new talent.

Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth became huge stars by posting videos on You Tube.  Tik Tok and streaming platforms like Spotify are now the rage.

Bottom line, ABC isn't going to care about successful alums.  FOX didn't care when it cancelled the show in Season 14.  It's always going to be about ratings AND cost.  Idol is a very expensive show to produce.

The easiest way to get a platform in 2021 is TikTok. Idol needs to use their TikTok account more often and put ads on there as well, and they also need to encourage the contestants to post singing videos and performances on their TikToks. This could help them create bigger stars AND get ratings up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

She was on 2 separate seasons and she was aired during the Las Vegas round the second time through, which is when she was cut.

I will say that she wasn't on television even then, however. They posted all the performances online afterwards, I believe.

1 hour ago, m1key said:

The easiest way to get a platform in 2021 is TikTok. Idol needs to use their TikTok account more often and put ads on there as well, and they also need to encourage the contestants to post singing videos and performances on their TikToks. This could help them create bigger stars AND get ratings up.

Agreed. A lot of the acts already have Tik Tok Followings, Such as Benson, Claudia, Mary Jo, Alyssa, Samantha, etc. A lot of these acts are discovered by producers on Social Media so they should encourage them to post more on there

It doesn't make me happy to criticize Idol.  Season 1 shocked me with Kelly Clarkson's undiscovered world class talent and roped the rest of the planet into the TV singing competition craze.  It re-energized my love of music when it was at a low point in my life and I've maintained my love for it ever since.  Today, 19 years later, Idol is reduced to silly Judges playing kazoos to get more screen time amid the worst talent in Idol history.  Idol needs a complete makeover - new judges, new studio, new producers, new everything.  Take it back to the basics:  singer, stage, critique. public vote.  Reality is always better than the contrived. Idol now showcases Judges doing *nothing* interesting, untalented people who literally can't carry a tune and encourages them to continue an Idol journey to an absolute dead end.  Episode 3 was the worst Idol episode I've ever seen - so bad I had to turn it off.  I'm done with this season of Idol.  I promise I will not post again during season 19.

It would be easy to bring Idol back.  Authenticity is all it needs. I hope it does - so I can come back and enjoy it.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:55 AM, mytake1 said:

Bottom line, ABC isn't going to care about successful alums.  FOX didn't care when it cancelled the show in Season 14.  It's always going to be about ratings AND cost.  Idol is a very expensive show to produce.

They cancelled it in Season 15. If you're going to criticize the show at every turn at least have the right facts. :haha:

1 hour ago, Cranberrys said:

It doesn't make me happy to criticize Idol.  Season 1 shocked me with Kelly Clarkson's undiscovered world class talent and roped the rest of the planet into the TV singing competition craze.  It re-energized my love of music when it was at a low point in my life and I've maintained my love for it ever since.  Today, 19 years later, Idol is reduced to silly Judges playing kazoos to get more screen time amid the worst talent in Idol history.  Idol needs a complete makeover - new judges, new studio, new producers, new everything.  Take it back to the basics:  singer, stage, critique. public vote.  Reality is always better than the contrived. Idol now showcases Judges doing *nothing* interesting, untalented people who literally can't carry a tune and encourages them to continue an Idol journey to an absolute dead end.  Episode 3 was the worst Idol episode I've ever seen - so bad I had to turn it off.  I'm done with this season of Idol.  I promise I will not post again during season 19.

It would be easy to bring Idol back.  Authenticity is all it needs. I hope it does - so I can come back and enjoy it.

Ah yes because the NEW judges, format, and set design worked so well in the past... FOX tried that and they still canceled it after season 15 in 2016...

If it bothers you so much just ignore it.

I agree that episode 3 of AI19 wasn't great, but I'll take the judges having some silly fun over the contrived "musical chairs" audition process of the Voice... :/ 

Lest we forget that Simon and Paula had plenty of joking around moments. Sometimes when they were supposed to be judging a live show... 🙄

11 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

Just here to point out that The Voice premiered last night with a 1.1 in the demo rating. Which is exactly what Idol got for its premiere this season. 

The shows are at parity. But there's still a big difference between Idol and The Voice... its record of success. 

So, maybe they know a bit more about what they are doing than you?

Edited by thenghreport

11 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

They cancelled it in Season 15. If you're going to criticize the show at every turn at least have the right facts. :haha:

They announced the cancellation right before the Season 14 finale - that Season 15 would be its last.

https://tvline.com/2015/05/11/american-idol-cancelled-final-season-15-ending-fox/

Edited by mytake1

The show has to have this warm, fuzzy family feeling now because if they aired some of the stuff they used to, there would be huge backlash. Simon would not get away with the same types of comments he used to make. This new version of Idol is just here to entertain. I think they know their chances of finding a global superstar are slim. 

But as far as this past audition episode being the worst episode ever, I completely disagree. I remember an episode of Season 6 that only featured like two people making it to Hollywood. The rest were joke contestants. They would take up so much airtime with awful singers, that by the time they finally showed a good singer, you would think you’re listening to an angel sing. And they would show people making it to Hollywood who you would never see again. This new version of Idol seems to show us fewer contestants overall but they do give us closure on what happened to them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Often during a live show. :dead:

Simon and Paula had a real love-hate relationship. Their shenanigans didn’t feel scripted. The same thing for the Adam-Blake bromance on the early days of the Voice.

But the current judge/coach antics on both shows read as highly scripted and insincere. I think most viewers can sense that. 

46 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Simon and Paula had a real love-hate relationship. Their shenanigans didn’t feel scripted. The same thing for the Adam-Blake bromance on the early days of the Voice.

But the current judge/coach antics on both shows read as highly scripted and insincere. I think most viewers can sense that. 

This is a wild thing to say. 

I think the one thing that seems clear to me about Katy, Lionel, and Luke is how MUCH they like each other. 

Those three are having a blast and it doesn't even come close to appearing insincere to me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thenghreport said:

This is a wild thing to say. 

I think the one thing that seems clear to me about Katy, Lionel, and Luke is how MUCH they like each other. 

Those three are having a blast and it doesn't even come close to appearing insincere to me. 

You honestly think that the 3 of them come up with the stuff that’s shown on air? Liking each other isn’t the issue, it’s that the producers don’t trust the viewers to see it. They insist on gags and set-ups, not naturally flowing interactions.