Idols roots are lost - and Season 19 is just more proof

Cranberrys

If you are just going to continue to hate on Idol you should get off this forum then maybe? This is a place for Idol lovers, not haters.

Also, "Gabby isnt beautiful or charismatic"???? If anything she has pretty privelege from being white and having blonde hair-

Edited by m1key
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

Idol isn't Idol anymore.  The show's main pitch at ABC is how much drama there is in the singers personal life.  And it's mind-numbing.g.g.g.g.g.  I recorded the first two episodes this season and zapped thru them both in less than 20 minutes - skipping several singers altogether.  All I care about is the singing - and the presentation of the singing is more staged and less spontaneous than ever.   I think they script & rehearse many of the judges reactions & critiques.  It looks, feels, and smells fake.

literally The Voice 

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2021 at 8:22 AM, thenghreport said:

Yeah, it's definitely not like they heydays where an Idol winner would release an album and be guaranteed to sell at least a half a million records.

But, Gabby Barrett was on Idol in 2019, only a few short years ago! It didn't really take her too long to go from Idol to a hit single. 

My main point, I believe, is that, for whatever reason, Idol STILL has greater success at picking singers and putting them in a position for success. Even almost 20 years after its premiere. That's wild.

Idol didn't even signed her.  She said coming off the show, it was a lot harder than she expected.   It took her a year knocking on doors.

The majority of Idol's big names were from the earlier years.  Their last big winner was Phillip Phillips, almost 9 years ago.

So between Phillip and Gabby, who are all these big Idol successes that you are referring to?  Morgan Wallen from The Voice is actually a much bigger name than Gabby Barrett.

Edited by mytake1

On 2/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, blackfield said:

I agree with the OP. idol lost its spark or soul or whatever you want to call it when Paula and then Simon left and they started bringing celebrity judges. season 9/10 was the beginning of the end and the attention shifted from the contestants to the judges. the talent was still there but the labels weren't invested in them like before.

Scotty McCreery and Phillip Phillips are 2 of the biggest winners Idol had - and both were from the post Paula/Simon era.

But the music industry started changing around that time.  There was more competition from The Voice, America's Got Talent, X-Factor. You Tube.  Streaming, Social Media became huge forces.

Edited by mytake1

20 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

Idol isn't Idol anymore.  The show's main pitch at ABC is how much drama there is in the singers personal life.  And it's mind-numbing.g.g.g.g.g.  I recorded the first two episodes this season and zapped thru them both in less than 20 minutes - skipping several singers altogether.  All I care about is the singing - and the presentation of the singing is more staged and less spontaneous than ever.   I think they script & rehearse many of the judges reactions & critiques.  It looks, feels, and smells fake.

eta - About Gabby Barrett:  Her post idol success is 100% the product of "I Hope" - a song she co-wrote.  Without IH we wouldn't be talking about her at all.  Gabby isn't beautiful or charismatic - and her voice a just slightly above average - but apparently she can write her own songs and that's ALL you really need to make it in the music business.  

This is literally how Idol has always been. We've been talking about contestants "back stories" for almost two decades now. I have over 500 pages of written material on this show to prove it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

Idol didn't even signed her.  She said coming off the show, it was a lot harder than she expected.   It took her a year knocking on doors.

The majority of Idol's big names were from the earlier years.  Their last big winner was Phillip Phillips, almost 9 years ago.

So between Phillip and Gabby, who are all these big Idol successes that you are referring to?  Morgan Wallen from The Voice is actually a much bigger name than Gabby Barrett.

Between, meaning from Season 11 to now?

Edited by thenghreport

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

But The Voice didn’t sign Morgan Wallen either. Point is, they’ve NEVER had a success story. In 10 years. Idol hasn’t had a successful winner in a long time but at least they have several successful contestants to show for their 19 years on television. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

But The Voice didn’t sign Morgan Wallen either. Point is, they’ve NEVER had a success story. In 10 years. Idol hasn’t had a successful winner in a long time but at least they have several successful contestants to show for their 19 years on television. 

Exactly.

Like... I'm gobsmacked we are still having this same debate after all these years.

Here's the facts:

American Idol had a slew of successful artists in its first 10 years... then, The Voice came around and took a lot of interest and ratings away from an aging program. It was hipper, drew a younger audience, and felt more exciting to a lot of viewers who had spent the past decade with only Idol.

Idol faded, The Voice ratings grew.

Now, after almost another decade... where are we at?

ABC's Idol and The Voice are at ratings parity and Idol has a Top 3 finalist who is finding big success on country radio, while The Voice has a Top 20 also ran who has found the same.

That's what happened.

Can we stop this silly argument that The Voice was anything but a ratings hit. 

It has not created a musical superstar and while it has a few successful also-rans, it's just not even comparable to Idol.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, thenghreport said:

Between, meaning from Season 11 to now?

Yes.  Because you said Idol has produced success stories for 20 years.  And my point was that majority of Idol success stories were during the early years - when it was the only game in town.    And if you site Gabby Barrett - then you have to include Morgan Wallen from The Voice.

Some of The Voice winners like Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbury, Jordin Smith actually did better than any Idol winners post Season 11.  Melanie Martinez has done very well.

54 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

But what success stories has Idol had since The Voice has been on?  And if people say Gabby Barrett, then Morgan Wallen needs to be included.

Kelly, Carrie competed on Idol at a time when there was no TV competition and the industry was very different.

Edited by mytake1

3 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Yes.  Because you said Idol has produced success stories for 20 years.  And my point was that majority of Idol success stories were during the early years - when it was the only game in town.    And if you site Gabby Barrett - then you have to include Morgan Wallen from The Voice.

Some of The Voice winners like Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbury, Jordin Smith actually did better than any Idol winners post Season 11.  Melanie Martinez has done very well.

I mean... you're talking about 4 seasons. 

Phillip Phillips won in Season 11 and Gabby Barrett was Season 16.

So, Season 12, 13, 14, and 15 had seasons without any successes. 

So, Idol has produced successes in:

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

Season 6

Season 8

Season 10

Season 11

Season 16

Again... this is such a silly debate. The facts are incontrovertible. 

The Voice is not even close to creating the amount of successes that American Idol has and pretending like there is even an argument here is mind boggling to me. 

Idol has contestants who have sold millions of records, who have streamed millions of hits, who have won major awards, etc etc

The Voice has a handful of folks who did... okay. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mytake1 said:

But what success stories has Idol had since The Voice has been on?  And if people say Gabby Barrett, then Morgan Wallen needs to be included.

Kelly, Carrie competed on Idol at a time when there was no competition and the industry was very different.

Scotty McCreery, Phillip Phillips and Gabby Barrett are all post The Voice premiere. 

• Like 2

I also, personally, have a rule in this "Idol v Voice" "debate."

We count finalists. 

I don't count a Top 20 contender, or a Hollywood contender, or someone who auditioned once.

No, were they a finalist on the show? Yes? Then I say the show can lay claim to them.

2 minutes ago, thenghreport said:

I mean... you're talking about 4 seasons. 

Phillip Phillips won in Season 11 and Gabby Barrett was Season 16.

So, Season 12, 13, 14, and 15 had seasons without any successes. 

So, Idol has produced successes in:

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

Season 6

Season 8

Season 10

Season 11

Season 16

Again... this is such a silly debate. The facts are incontrovertible. 

The Voice is not even close to creating the amount of successes that American Idol has and pretending like there is even an argument here is mind boggling to me. 

Idol has contestants who have sold millions of records, who have streamed millions of hits, who have won major awards, etc etc

The Voice has a handful of folks who did... okay. 

But the majority of Idol's success stories were from the earlier years when there was no competition.

Just now, mytake1 said:

But the majority of Idol's success stories were from the earlier years when there was no competition.

Huh? The competition has never been between The Voice or Idol contestants... the competition is against themselves and the real world: Can they make it in the real world of music?

And, statistically, over 18 years, Idol has found a success in 55% of their seasons. 

Counting your Voice "success stories," and that's being VERY generous to the term "success story," The Voice has maybe... a 21% success record of 19 seasons. 

It's not comparable!

25 minutes ago, thenghreport said:

Huh? The competition has never been between The Voice or Idol contestants... the competition is against themselves and the real world: Can they make it in the real world of music?

And, statistically, over 18 years, Idol has found a success in 55% of their seasons. 

Counting your Voice "success stories," and that's being VERY generous to the term "success story," The Voice has maybe... a 21% success record of 19 seasons. 

It's not comparable!

You're missing my point.  For a good 9 seasons or so, Idol had no competition.  No The Voice, America's Got Talent, X-Factor. You Tube.  And Streaming, Social Media were none existence or just beginning. All that eventually took a big hit in ratings with Idol.

Kelly, Carrie careers would have been very different if they were competing on Idol in the last few years, when the show passed its peaks and ratings plummeted.

Edited by mytake1

17 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

You're missing my point.  For a good 9 seasons or so, Idol had no competition.  No The Voice, America's Got Talent, X-Factor. You Tube.  And Streaming, Social Media were none existence or just beginning. All that eventually took a big hit in ratings with Idol.

Kelly, Carrie careers would have been very different if they were competing on Idol in the last few years, when the show passed its peaks and ratings plummeted.

I mean, sure, and Aretha Franklin would have a hard time breaking into the music industry in 2020, but that's not how this works. You can't pick or choose metrics like this. 

American Idol is a television program that has found megastars.

The Voice is not. 

If I'm a singer, and I'm looking at the two shows, at this point, with their ratings at a practical parity, and I'm measuring their successes... I'd rather be on Idol. It's that simple. 

• Like 2

We are making this statement when we are barely on episode 2 of Season 19? It's almost like you don't want to give it a chance? Yes, the days of Idols glory days are OVER, but The Voice could only hope to ever reach the highs Idol has. It won't and never will.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

eta - About Gabby Barrett:  Her post idol success is 100% the product of "I Hope" - a song she co-wrote.  Without IH we wouldn't be talking about her at all.  Gabby isn't beautiful or charismatic - and her voice a just slightly above average - but apparently she can write her own songs and that's ALL you really need to make it in the music business.  

If all that you do while on the board is complain about Idol having lost its roots, then maybe you should go somewhere else.

• Like 3

Is there a time where a The Voice contestant who has actually made the finals has had a Top 3 hit on the billboard hot 100?  Just curious because someone on Idol who competed in 2018 and made the finals literally had that this year. 

• Like 2

Imma just say this

Morgan Wallen and Melanie Martinez didn’t become famous by competing on The Voice, they competed on the show, but didn’t become famous due to appearing on the show. Just like Tori Kelly didn’t become famous from competing on Idol.

The most successful person who found success due to appearing on The Voice would be Cassadee Pope or Danielle Bradberry. (Christina Grimmie and Alisan Porter had successful prior to The Voice so I’m not including them either.)

The most successful person who found success due to appearing on Idol would be Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood 

Just because someone appeared on the show doesn’t mean they became famous due to it. The Voice didn’t produce Morgan Wallen or Melanie Martinez. They both found success years after their seasons and in other ways. The Voice did produce Cassadee Pope and Danielle Bradberry. 

Gabby Barrett is being mentioned because she had success due to Idol. Idol produced her. 

• Like 6

Exactly. Morgan competed on The Voice 6 years ago and hes only having the mass success he has now which basically proves The Voice didnt impact his fame whatsoever. If The Voice did impact his fame, he wouldve been peaking 1-3 years after his stunt on the show. 

On 2/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, Cranberrys said:

Idol became a success with a simple & pure 3 step formula: 

1. Make the show about the singers talent. 

2. Analyze the talent with Judges critiques.

3. Give the public the final vote to choose it's winners.  

The Voice came along with a different formula that focuses on the coaches chemistry and beat Idol in the ratings.  And Idol lost it's soul chasing The Voice formula.  Nothing has changed with American Idol Season 19.  It's still on a foreign path far from it's successful original formula.  It's still chasing The Voice - and the chemistry between the Idol Judges still smells like a WWE wrestling match.

Nobody cares about The Voice anymore. And who cares what the "coaches" do with them after the show, obviously they didn't make them into success stories. The Voice and ABC Idol have had very similar ratings, and the Idol finale had higher ratings than The Voice finale last year. And Idol has been beating them off and on.

Ouch, The Voice had multiple episodes below 1.0 last season...and they premiered the same as Idol at a 1.2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_(American_season_19)#Ratings

Edited by countrynineteen

3 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Kelly, Carrie competed on Idol at a time when there was no TV competition and the industry was very different.

Morgan Wallen isn't even famous because of being on The Voice. The Voice had nothing to do with his success. He got signed years after appearing on that show. I bet the average Voice viewer wouldn't even remember him from that show.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:16 PM, ptebwwong said:

To be fair, Idol in recent years claims Tori Kelly & Lauren Daigle as successful alums, but neither made T20 their seasons. Idol just has way more successes. But if Idol acknowledges them as successful alums I don't see why The Voice can't do the same for non-finalists.

I personally don't count Tori Kelly or Lauren Daigle (Or Todrick Hall) as Idol success stories. None were famous because of Idol. Same with Morgan Wallen for The Voice. I would also say the same about Daniel Seavey.